Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brayer: To Be, or Not To Be?

I love the look some of the techniques that use brayers and was thinking of getting one. But (as always) I would love your opinion on them before I do .

Do you consider it a useful tool? Is it a "must have"? How often do you use it?

For what it is, it seems a bit expensive. Do you know of an alternative, or a suggestion for a better price other than coupons?

Thanks so much!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2011, 04:06 PM   #2  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

I have a soft rubber brayer. I have used it a few times already, mostly for background stamps. They are so hard to ink up with the ink pads, so I ink up the brayer instead. Any leftover ink on the brayer, I roll onto white paper for later projects! And so far, I have just run it under the water faucet to remove the ink and then let it dry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2011, 12:45 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Yes, a brayer is a useful tool. I have a Speedball one. Aside from the fun techniques like brayered sky, bouncing brayer etc it's generally useful for spreading ink around! As Kathy says, great for inking up background stamps or large stamps with very fine detail.

I also use mine to ink up embossing folders to get colour on the low parts of the design (couple of examples attached in case you have no idea what I'm talking about). I find that inking the folder directly gives splotchy results, inking with a brayer gives nice smooth colour.

You can use a brayer to do mirror image stuff too - ink your stamp up (pigment ink works best), roll the brayer over and then roll onto your cardstock. The image will be reversed from the way it would be if you just stamped normally.

It's not something you're necessarily going to use every time you sit at your stamping table but when it's useful, it's really useful!
Attached Thumbnails
Brayer: To Be, or Not To Be?-cassketchhello.jpg   Brayer: To Be, or Not To Be?-jamaraparis.jpg  

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2011, 01:48 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

I have a couple of brayers. I use them to ink stamps with and if I'm modge podging then I use them to roll out the air bubbles after I put the paper down on the surface I'm covering.

I had never thought to use them on embossing folders!! Thanks for the idea~

Ginger
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2011, 03:00 AM   #5  
Watercolor Wizard

Location: Where the Kookaburra's sit in the old gum tree's...
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
I also use mine to ink up embossing folders to get colour on the low parts of the design (couple of examples attached in case you have no idea what I'm talking about). I find that inking the folder directly gives splotchy results, inking with a brayer gives nice smooth colour.
Joanne ~ those card samples are absolutely gorgeous!! TFS!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2011, 02:24 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

If you use a brayer to ink up a background like a sunset they take LOTS of ink. I've only used mine once. I'm not a big technique person tho!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2011, 05:43 PM   #7  
Inking Addict

Thanks for sharing!!

Joanne, your cards are really amazing. I love looking at your gallery because your creations are so beautiful! I really like your style, but I am nowhere near being able to create something like yours yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2011, 06:17 PM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

Thumbs up

Quote:

Yes, a brayer is a useful tool. I have a Speedball one. Aside from the fun techniques like brayered sky, bouncing brayer etc it's generally useful for spreading ink around! As Kathy says, great for inking up background stamps or large stamps with very fine detail.

You can use a brayer to do mirror image stuff too - ink your stamp up (pigment ink works best), roll the brayer over and then roll onto your cardstock. The image will be reversed from the way it would be if you just stamped normally.

It's not something you're necessarily going to use every time you sit at your stamping table but when it's useful, it's really useful!

So beautiful! Thank you for your great ideas!!!! I have a brayer too (just got it) and I've used it a lot. I stamp a background with a versa marker, use clear embossing powder, dry it then ink over it with the brayer. The last card I did the background was snow flakes and I used blue ink so the snowflakes were white. It was beautiful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2011, 01:17 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caitlyn JordanView Post
Thanks for sharing!!

Joanne, your cards are really amazing. I love looking at your gallery because your creations are so beautiful! I really like your style, but I am nowhere near being able to create something like yours yet.
You're very sweet, thank you! I don't really think of myself as having "a style" as I'm such a butterfly when it comes to crafty stuff - vintage or shabby chic one minute and CAS graphic the next! Don't do yourself down though, your gallery has some lovely stuff!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdmacView Post
I stamp a background with a versa marker, use clear embossing powder, dry it then ink over it with the brayer. The last card I did the background was snow flakes and I used blue ink so the snowflakes were white. It was beautiful!
Sounds great! I love emboss resist techniques and the brayer is perfect if you're wanting to do it over a large area - I bet this looked really pretty!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2011, 03:03 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

I think I need a remedial brayer class... my brayer is just not my friend. :(
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2011, 03:34 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Definitely a good purchase! Like Joanne said, you won't need it all the time, but when you do, it is definitely a useful tool. I only have one Speedball, but I am contemplating buying more. Oh and like Kathy (muscrat) said, they are easy to clean.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2011, 09:05 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

I have two Speedball brayers. I took Michelle Zindorf's brayering class a couple of years ago and it was well worth it! I haven't used mine much lately, but I'm glad I have them in case inspiration strikes. They really are useful to have. I typically only use mine to do brayered backgrounds, but you can use them to ink larger stamps, embossing folders, etc. Here's a couple of cards I made using my brayers:

Serene Cabin by sharilea - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
MoonlightInspirations_slc_by_sharilea by sharilea - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Brayered sky & sea by sharilea - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Brayered Sunset by sharilea - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Get one and play with it! You'll be surprised by what you come up with!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2011, 12:36 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love looking at brayered cards but the brayer is not for me. I don't pull it out that often and can't remember the last time I did.

Check out my blog

Here's my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2011, 02:18 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

I think its one of those love it/hate it kinda tools. I don't use mine often but I would never get rid of it. That being said. I was recently given two by a friend who quit stamping. I will send you one if you would like it. No charge. Just PM me your address.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Joanne -- I've never heard of mirror image with a brayer! That sounds neat. I guess it only works with a stamp that only needs one rotation of the brayer??? I'm a little confused by it but I'm going to give it a try. Do you have a video demo of how to do this technique?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2011, 10:21 AM   #16  
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

Received 379 Likes on 324 Posts

Quote:

Thanks for reminding me to use a brayer for embossing folders. I have been forgetting and not getting good results lately! Gorgeous cards, btw!
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don’t always spoil the good things, or make them unimportant. - The Eleventh Doctor
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2011, 10:33 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mis.tyView Post
Joanne -- I've never heard of mirror image with a brayer! That sounds neat. I guess it only works with a stamp that only needs one rotation of the brayer??? I'm a little confused by it but I'm going to give it a try. Do you have a video demo of how to do this technique?
Sorry, no video camera here (and I'm camera shy as it is so not much chance of me getting one!). Yes, you need an image that can be covered by one rotation of the brayer but you'll find that's a suprisingly big distance! If you want to check, put a marker dot at the top of your brayer and starting at one end, roll across a sheet of paper until the dot appears at the top again - you can see from how far along the paper you moved how big an image will fit. The marker dot trick is also useful for keeping track of whereabouts on the roller your image is!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks Joanne -- I tried it and it is surprisingly easy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2011, 11:58 PM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Yay, glad it worked out for you Misty! Any mirror technique won't give you the absolutely crisp outline you get with straight stamping but you can get some pretty good results. If I want to have both the original and a mirror on my project, I tend to do stamp off first and then use the second generation impression for my main image to get it to match the mirrored one better.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2011, 12:50 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Yay, glad it worked out for you Misty! Any mirror technique won't give you the absolutely crisp outline you get with straight stamping but you can get some pretty good results. If I want to have both the original and a mirror on my project, I tend to do stamp off first and then use the second generation impression for my main image to get it to match the mirrored one better.
That's a great tip -- thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2011, 07:54 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

I love the brayering technique you used on the cards (beautiful by the way!) I've always been a tad intimidated by the brayer but I think I'm gonna give it a shot. such a useful little tool with amazing effects if you practice I imagine :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2011, 08:25 PM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

I hope it's ok to ask a brayer question here rather than start a new thread. I have a couple of silhouette type stamps. When I ink them with a pad there are always splotchy areas in the image no matter how I rub, tap, or anything else to ink the stamp. Is a brayer the remedy for this?

This is one of the stamps I'm talking about
Unity Stamp Co. Hey Girlfriend {cosmo itty bitty}

Free cat hair with every card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2011, 05:22 PM   #23  
Inking Addict

I read some where to use a pencil eraser on the dry stamp, and it helps. The stamp I had problems with was small, but it did help. Also, in the resource center there is a tutorial for Just Right stamps, but I think it might be worth a look at for you.

Splitcoaststampers - Conditioning JustRite� Stamps Tool Tutorial by Sharon Johnson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #24  
Inking Addict

Thanks everyone for your help!!

Here is my very first attempt. It is by no means perfect, but as a first try I am reasonably happy with it.

Sunrise Box by Caitlyn Jordan - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes