Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-03-2008, 05:27 PM   #121  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarsahView Post
Honestly, the SU Big Shot is the EXACT same machine as the regular Big Shot except the logo is different. If it were me, I would just keep the one you have and mention you got it before SU offered it. I have done that before with some Fiskars products I had before they were in the catalog. Customers still ordered them from me. We're going to make our money off the SU exclusive dies, not the machines anyway. Any 'smart' customer will know they can get a similar product with a coupon at the craft store. So while I am all for using SU stuff, if it's the same thing (I'm talking tools here) and I had it before SU came out with it, I'll use the one I have.

Afterall, it's unlikely that you'll actually take the Big Shot machine itself with you to a workshop. Instead you'll probably take the precut pieces and maybe the die to show what it looks like.

Just my two cents worth!

Sarah...
I am definately taking my Big Shot with me to demos. There are many people who don't take the time to go to craft stores and/or clip coupons and there are a great many people who are just getting into card making/scrapbooking. I have a demo on the 22nd of August that is a perfect example of this...a group of 25ish woman, two income couples who have money to spend on whatever. They will be perfect for taking the Big Shot for this demo. They are so excited already! What a great way to have them do a hands on project with the machine. And I bet I will sell at least one, raising my demo sales by $100. Just my opinion, but I am so excited about this I can hardly stand it.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 03:26 AM   #122  
Insane Embellisher

Location: In the mountains of course!...where else would an Ocean Girl live?

DS told me that they will work in the CB.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 07:50 AM   #123  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMstampsView Post
Can the Big Shot dies and Embossing Folders be used in the Cuttlebug? LM :-)
Saw your question but did not read the 4 pages in the thread. In the unlikely event someone has not answered this for you yet:

Yes. I have both and use them all the time. However, you need to get the embossing kit(?) for the Big Shot. It has a silicone piece in it and 2 ither things. they sell them now at Joanne's & AC Moore here, by the Sizzix stuff. it's about $20, but you can use a coupon (I got mine for $10.)

With this I can use Fiskars plates, Sizzix & Ellison plates, Cuttlebug folders, and brass stenciles to emboss in the Big Shot. It is also wide enough that I can use the foklders horizontally, not just vertically. If interested, yiu can even use the Quickutz little embossing plates/tiles (on small pieces, of course.)

For the record I tried it without the kit. ir workedso-so. It made a WORLD of differnec for me with the kit. Worth the little bit of money it costs.

Sorry if this is a repeat. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 08:03 AM   #124  
Mad Swapper

I'm selling my original Sizzix and Sidekick and getting the SU Big Shot. I'm not sure if I'll keep my Cuttlebug or not. I've heard that it does a better job embossing than the Big Shot, but haven't tried it to know for sure.

Sarah......[/QUOTE]

Sarah: I wouldn't sell your SideKick. You can use the Embosslits, Sizzlits and the Extended Sizzlit border dies. I have a feeling that SU! just might eventually carry that, too! It is so much lighter and more portable than the Big Shot. There are times it is quicker for me to use the SideKick than my Big Shot.

I also need to sell my original heavy Sizzix machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 08:11 AM   #125  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
Well, I bought the extended plates and the crease pad for the Big Shot at Michael's several months ago, thinking I would try out a long die, but just never got around to getting the die itself! :rolleyes: Guess I have incentive to try now, eh?

Betsy!!!! I didn't know you owned a Big Shot!! We will have to swap die samples and advice. Have you seen the onesie Bigz XL die? I wish I had grand babies in the near future but my girls aren't even close to that, yet!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 08:20 AM   #126  
Mad Swapper

[

For the Big Shot

Mutipurpose Platform Tab 1
Acrylic Pad
Metal Stencil
Cardstock
Silicone Rubber
Impressions Pad
Roll through Big Shot[/QUOTE]

I thought I'd tell you where to get the Silicone pad. It comes in the Texturz Starter Kit. They also lots of other Texture kits. When you have the Texturz
Starter Kit you can also use the Fiskars embossing plates.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 09:18 AM   #127  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 675 Likes on 348 Posts

Does this embossing kit for the Big Shot work in the Cuttlebug so that Big Shot stuff (that is no wider than what the cuttlebug will take) will work in the Cuttlebug? LM :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by teacher4416View Post
Saw your question but did not read the 4 pages in the thread. In the unlikely event someone has not answered this for you yet:

Yes. I have both and use them all the time. However, you need to get the embossing kit(?) for the Big Shot. It has a silicone piece in it and 2 ither things. they sell them now at Joanne's & AC Moore here, by the Sizzix stuff. it's about $20, but you can use a coupon (I got mine for $10.)

With this I can use Fiskars plates, Sizzix & Ellison plates, Cuttlebug folders, and brass stenciles to emboss in the Big Shot. It is also wide enough that I can use the foklders horizontally, not just vertically. If interested, yiu can even use the Quickutz little embossing plates/tiles (on small pieces, of course.)

For the record I tried it without the kit. ir workedso-so. It made a WORLD of differnec for me with the kit. Worth the little bit of money it costs.

Sorry if this is a repeat. HTH.

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 09:21 AM   #128  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by leneyView Post
Betsy!!!! I didn't know you owned a Big Shot!! We will have to swap die samples and advice. Have you seen the onesie Bigz XL die? I wish I had grand babies in the near future but my girls aren't even close to that, yet!!
Oh, no, lol...I don't have the Big Shot, just the CB. I figured I'd try the long plates because I liked some of their long border dies. I should probably get off my you know what and try them today, huh? I mean, I've only had them for MONTHS! :rolleyes:

Hey, shoot me an email and let me know how your signups went for your class, 'k?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #129  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

I'm selling my original Sizzix and Sidekick and getting the SU Big Shot. I'm not sure if I'll keep my Cuttlebug or not. I've heard that it does a better job embossing than the Big Shot, but haven't tried it to know for sure.

Sarah......
Sarah: I wouldn't sell your SideKick. You can use the Embosslits, Sizzlits and the Extended Sizzlit border dies. I have a feeling that SU! just might eventually carry that, too! It is so much lighter and more portable than the Big Shot. There are times it is quicker for me to use the SideKick than my Big Shot.

I also need to sell my original heavy Sizzix machine.[/QUOTE]

ANything you can use in a Sidekick will work in a Big Shot. I saw the flyer,t hanks to my Demo, and I hate to be anti-SU here but if you pay $99 for that thing you are INSANE. I got mine when it first came out at it was only $75, AND I oculd use a coupon to get it. The Big Kick is the Sizzix version (Big Shot was Ellison before they merged and changed all the logos.) You can get the Big Kick at any general retail chain, which means you can use a coupon. Now, I do not own the Big KICK but I have seen it, played with it, and it is exactly like the Big SHOT.

I have had no issues embossing with the BS. If you don;t use the rigth "foundations" and you don;t make the correct "sandwich" it will not work right or be as good. it is simple, simple, simple...and really very versatile.

For the person who asked - I have used Wizard dies in my BS, you just need adaptors for the thickness difference (which are sold in most stores, they are sizzlet size & black.) Same for brass stencils, but I do not own SU stencils. how different could they be from toher stencils? Cheap stencils, and delicate stencils, I have all work.

HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 03:51 PM   #130  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Does this embossing kit for the Big Shot work in the Cuttlebug so that Big Shot stuff (that is no wider than what the cuttlebug will take) will work in the Cuttlebug? LM :-)
Doubtful.

I Do own cuttlebug dies, and they work in the BS (with the black adaptors I talked about in my last post.) heya re cheap, too. less than $10 for a pack of 6.

All of the sizzix dies work in the BS. the new extended ones, and those new window ones they make for cards - they require new adaptor plates, of course. But I saw those in AC Moore, too, so itmeans a coupon can be used.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 04:03 PM   #131  
Mad Swapper

My point was that there are times I like using my SideKick instead of my BIG SHOT!!! So I think she might like to have it around. It is much easier to transport and you can use some of the same dies. I just thought she might want to think about not selling it. I also stand by my statement that SU! will probably sell the SideKick one day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 04:11 PM   #132  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
I had the sidekick and it was nice but it never would stay suctioned to my table (which, at the time, was formica type). But at least with that one you could re-suction it without taking the sandwich out.
I could never get it, either. But it IS the most portable of the group!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 04:40 PM   #133  
Mad Swapper

I have to resuction it, too! But my DH got it for me without my asking for it and that makes it more special! I have the MPP and only need the black adapters for the Quickut dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 05:26 PM   #134  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Cards for a Cause Challenge Hostess

o.k. gals this is clear as mud to me. I only have the cuttlebug....will SU embossing folders work in the cuttlebug? At this time I am not concerned about the other systems.
designing for
verve stamps, sunday stamps, inspired by, and as you see it challenges
AMAZON shopping

Philippians 4:6-7

Looking for a place to send your stash of cards? Check out Cards For A Cause
Help US Help Others!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 05:34 PM   #135  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by va.sunshineView Post
o.k. gals this is clear as mud to me. I only have the cuttlebug....will SU embossing folders work in the cuttlebug? At this time I am not concerned about the other systems.
I don't have the cuttlebug OR any SU folders so I can't help with your question. Sorry. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 05:36 PM   #136  
Master of All Things Big Shot

Send a message via Skype™ to militarystampingmom

Quote:

Originally Posted by va.sunshineView Post
If you are talking about Stampin Up Classy Brass Templates they do!

The SU exclusive dies will also work in your cuttlebug. See my siggy line for sandiwich stacks.

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 06:40 PM   #137  
Inking Addict

Default Is SU's Big Shot Overpriced?

The one at Costco.com is $79.99

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...62569*&topnav=
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 06:49 PM   #138  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by brendamontanezView Post
That's where I got mine - but they were offering free shipping and no surcharge during the holidays.

My local Costco doesn't have it in the store. When I go through checkout here is the final price for me, not much of a deal:

Summary
Subtotal: $79.99
Shipping & Handling: $7.40
Non-Member Surcharge: $4.00
Tax: $6.40
Order Total: $97.79
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 06:52 PM   #139  
Inking Addict

Default Big Shot price

SU's demonstrator preorder price is $179.95, minus the 20% demonstrator discount plus 6%tax, plus 10% shipping. Much better than $97.79.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 07:15 PM   #140  
Inking Addict

Default Oops

I meant to say the Costco price of 97.79 is much BETTER than the SU price. Tired and going to bed
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 07:15 PM   #141  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

SU's demonstrator preorder price is $179.95, minus the 20% demonstrator discount plus 6%tax, plus 10% shipping. Much better than $97.79.
Well, maybe ... except I don't get the convention discount ... and I was meaning more for customers than myself - but it's still not a deal from Costco because the kit contents are very different.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2008, 03:23 PM   #142  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

I meant to say the Costco price of 97.79 is much BETTER than the SU price. Tired and going to bed
Try Joanne's online store. They always have a 40% off coupon. My Dh got mine for under $70, with tax & shipping. Again, our local Michaels carries the Big Kick (same thing), use a coupon, Joanne;s store carries the Big Shot here (can use coupon), and AC Moore carries the Bick Kick (coupon again.) Try AC Moore online to see what their price is.

I am a spender and don;t flinch much at the prices of these machines (I bought a Wishblade on a whim)...but that SU price is ridiculous unless it ocmes with a diamond necklace. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2008, 05:31 PM   #143  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by palmettostateView Post
Well, maybe ... except I don't get the convention discount ... and I was meaning more for customers than myself - but it's still not a deal from Costco because the kit contents are very different.
I am sorry, I have to disagree. The kit contents are indeed different, but the SU kit is not worth an additional $70. I have a Zip-e-mate and I a considering purchasing the Big Shot. I am a demonstrator but I am still looking for the best price. Comments anyone?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2008, 05:48 PM   #144  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Can the Big Shot dies and Embossing Folders be used in the Cuttlebug? LM :-)
yes, it can be used. there are instructions in the cuttlebug instruction booklet and they are the steel dies that are thick. the embossing folders should be the same as the cuttlebug ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 04:27 AM   #145  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

I am sorry, I have to disagree. The kit contents are indeed different, but the SU kit is not worth an additional $70. I have a Zip-e-mate and I a considering purchasing the Big Shot. I am a demonstrator but I am still looking for the best price. Comments anyone?
See what I've said in previous threads about where I found them & coupons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 11:01 AM   #146  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

From what I can tell, the items in the kit include:

(a) die cuts exclusive to SU!...Scallop Envelope, Top Note, Birds & Blooms and the Join in the Cheer decorative strip...price for each die is $21.95 US (value - $87.80)

(b) cutting pads -- decorative strip and extended spacer platform (value - $17.80)

It seems to be a good value ... but my only experience with any die cut option has been with my daughters' school Ellison diecut machines. I'm thinking of taking the plunge when the new catalog become available for orders on Monday...

Last edited by chiripa; 08-06-2008 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: added info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 12:10 PM   #147  
Mad Swapper

Be sure to get the MPP or the Multi-Purpose Platform. It makes it so easy to dies form other companies!! It truly is a must! if you have a Big Shot!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 12:21 PM   #148  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiripaView Post
From what I can tell, the items in the kit include:

(a) die cuts exclusive to SU!...Scallop Envelope, Top Note, Birds & Blooms and the Join in the Cheer decorative strip...price for each die is $21.95 US (value - $87.80)

(b) cutting pads -- decorative strip and extended spacer platform (value - $17.80)

It seems to be a good value ... but my only experience with any die cut option has been with my daughters' school Ellison diecut machines. I'm thinking of taking the plunge when the new catalog become available for orders on Monday...
Actually, the average price of a die around here is 19.99, and you can get them at a store with a coupon OR got o Sizzix.com on Tuesdays and usually find a sale. Those decorator strips are neevr more than 19.99. trust me, I have just abiout every one of them. Exclusive or not, it's more than the regular price.

You can buy the cutting pads at every store around here, again can use a coupon. In fact, I got SEVERAL replacements of EACH a few weeks back on the Sizzix/Ellison site and paid $10 for ALL of them, combined.

I have also seen that pattern for the "doctors bag", as they call it, to tote around the Big Shot. Not for that price thoguh.

DO NOT GET ME WRONG. i FULY UNDERSTAND that this is a business and you may have to use particular items. Normally I'm a loyal company girl thoguh for several companies. In this case I do have to say that the SU price is a big fat rip off.

If the company only allowes you to display & use the one with THEIR logo I have to wonder about where THEIR loyalties lie. Certainly it isn;t with their demos in that case.

Again, just voicing my own opinion. I hate to see you all spend twice as much as necessary for the same things I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 12:24 PM   #149  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Be sure to get the MPP or the Multi-Purpose Platform. It makes it so easy to dies form other companies!! It truly is a must! if you have a Big Shot!
From what I'm seeing in the brochure, the SU! BS includes the standard cutting pads and the multi-purpose platform...so I should be good to start cutting envelopes and flowers as soon as I get it out of the box.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 12:41 PM   #150  
Mad Swapper

If you are going to cut envelopes and things that fold you also need the crease pad. The SU! brochure even tells you that they work better with the crease pad. I am glad that the SU! Big Shot packages comes with the MPP. Mine didn't so I had to get that and the crease pad, too! I love mine and will keep it. It is taken with teal and one of my favorite colors!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2008, 02:31 PM   #151  
Stampin' Fool

Question about the basket die. How large is it and will it fit in the Cuttlebug. If not then I will be buying the SU Big Shot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2008, 02:33 PM   #152  

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomofonesonView Post
Question about the basket die. How large is it and will it fit in the Cuttlebug. If not then I will be buying the SU Big Shot.
The XL bigz dies in will not fit in the cuttlebug because they are too wide
So the basket and pennant flag dies in Shelli's line won't fit.

Hope this helps you
Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2008, 02:37 PM   #153  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks for the information. Now if I can just get my future upline to send the pdf to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2008, 06:58 PM   #154  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomofonesonView Post
Actually, the Bigz XL dies will fit in the Cuttlebug - but your cutting plate will not be long enough. You can either buy an extra set of cutting plates or you can find someone to cut acrylic plates for you that will fit the length of the XL dies. They will fit in the Cuttlebug though - width wise it works.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2008, 07:04 PM   #155  

I apologize! I remember reading somewhere they wouldn't fit. My mistake! How wonderful for cuttlebug users!

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2008, 11:04 AM   #156  
Stampin' Fool

Someone should buy one and try it because my sizzix dies fit in my cuttlebug but not easily, so I will be buying the Big Shot kit and getting rid of the cuttlebug.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2008, 11:47 AM   #157  

I have some XL bigz dies and a cuttlebug so I will give it a shot.

Yep the die fits but not the XL cutting pads

See this blog for sandwich!
http://indigoinklings.blogspot.com/2...cuttlebug.html

Enjoy CB users!

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia

Last edited by militarystampingmom; 08-10-2008 at 12:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2008, 11:51 AM   #158  
Die Cut Diva

Yay! I'm so happy to hear this! Thanks so much for trying it in your machine! Do you mind sharing the sandwich you used?

My Little Blog! Amy's Inky Fingers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2008, 12:19 PM   #159  

Quote:

Originally Posted by amyz2988View Post
Yay! I'm so happy to hear this! Thanks so much for trying it in your machine! Do you mind sharing the sandwich you used?

http://indigoinklings.blogspot.com/2...cuttlebug.html

This blog has the how-to's for using XL dies in your CB

Hugs and Blessings
Alicia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2008, 12:31 PM   #160  
Stampin' Fool

I have decided that I don't want the hassle with the cuttlebug so I am buying the SU Big Shot kit. The cuttlebug will go to goodwill.
Reply With Quote Likes