Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-27-2008, 03:33 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATG Question...

For the most part, I love my ATG. I have the red one (714). My question here is.... when I first put in the roll of tape, the tape runs very smoothly (like a knife through butter). But about 1/2 way through the roll, it starts to get very hard to roll the tape on paper / card stock. I am on my 5th roll of tape, it is loaded correctly and it happens every time.

Does this happen to anyone else? Is this common? Any suggestions?

I was thinking of cutting the roll when it gets 1/2 way and rethreading it again to see if that makes it less stiff.

Thanks

My Blog: http://stampscrapandmore.com
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 04:57 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Did you get this 714 around the beginning of the year? If you did, it was part of a bad batch that went out. Apparently part of the reel that holds the used tape was molded improperly and it's causing this problem as you describe it. I would call 3M. I spoke to someone in the double sided tape department who connected me with Barb. She sent a new part out, which I should receive on Monday. Also, let her know how many rolls of tape you went through. They are replacing the tape but it is in backorder and I'm not sure when that will go out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 11:44 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

bumping up in case anyone else has the same problem.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2008, 04:31 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Just wanted to say the the beginning definitely runs easiest and although I do see a difference as the tape progresses, I wouldn't call it "hard" to roll on the paper. Maybe you do have a defective one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2008, 05:10 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I would definitely say you have a defective one. I spent all the $$ on the ATG and hated it! Then, I was informed they had a defective batch. I contacted 3M and they replaced it along with all the tape I wasted trying to get it to work. Now, I LOVE IT! No problems at all and it is so easy to use. Her name was Barbara at 3M. I'll try to find the info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2008, 05:29 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I was just about to post a thread about my ATG gun. (I have the 714 red one and am using the thin tape - I think 1/8" wide.) I am not loving it by any stretch of the imagination. My DH had to load the tape on because I couldn't figure it out (he even said the instructions were lacking).

My current problem is that every time I pull it to put adhesive on the paper, the tape slides over too far to the edge of the roller guides and comes off. I then have to open it up, wind it back up properly and start again. This happens every time. Is this part of the defective part or is this just my inability to use it properly? :confused: :mad:

I love that I am not going through adhesive on my current projects, but this falling off the guide thing is driving me crazy. :mad: :mad:

TIA for any help you can give me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2008, 03:48 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Nope, you have a defective one because that was my problem too. Now, with the new one, this NEVER happens. I don't have my contact info anymore for the person at 3M, but you could try their customer service. Her name was Barbara and she was the specific person dealing with this problem. They are aware of the problem, so it was easy to get the replacement. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2008, 05:34 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Thank you! I just called and actually spoke to Barb. She is sending out a new gun and a few rolls of adhesive. I'll mail mine in to them. Very nice customer service. I hope this fixes my problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2008, 06:42 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Would you mind sharing the contact info? I have been having the same problem and it is DRIVING me crazy! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2008, 06:47 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

I had called the main 3M number and after explaining my issue, they gave me this number to call in the future 1-800-362-3550. That is the Technical Assistance Division (I think that is the name).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2008, 06:51 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Nevermind, I just called and they said they are sending me a part and some rolls of tape. Thanks ladies for the info! I just thought I was doing something wrong! If anyone else is having issues, call 1-800-362-3550!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2008, 10:26 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

What can I say - things are obviously easier to get sorted in the US.

I have not been having luck so far and am getting the run-around. Customer Service couldn't answer my questions - kind of knew something about it, but said it was a bad batch of tape. She asked me to call the "technical" department to try and answer my questions. I have left a message with them. Lets see what happens.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2008, 12:15 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

I initially had to leave a message for Barbara, too, but she contacted me within 24 hours. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2008, 12:18 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

She seems very responsive. She called me back today to tell me not to mail mine in -- that I could just throw it in the garbage and she didn't want me to waste the postage. Very good service from her!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2008, 12:35 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

I Called 3M about my 714 gun. I spoke to a very nice person, Sean. My gun gets really tight about 1/2 of the way through a roll and is very hard to get the tape to roll. The wheels even squeek. He said that I had one of the defective guns and would send me a new part for it. He also asked if I had ruined any tape. I told him probably a couple. he told me he would send 6 rolls with the new part. He also told me to call him if I couldn't figure out how to put on the new part or if the new part didn't fix my problem. Very nice to deal with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2008, 03:34 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Update (well kind of)

I called 3M in Canada about my faulty 714. The girl in Customer Service said she would talk to a "technical" expert. She called me back and said that it was a problem with the tape. That I probably had a bad batch of tape. I wasn't happy (since I knew better) and kept asking what about the next batch of tape I buy - who says it will be better. She said it was a gamble. After more questions, she finally gave me the name of the "technical expert". I left him a message last Thursday and have yet to hear back from him. I gave up with 3M Canada and called the phone number that Jaxbabie3 posted. Barb is on vacation, but I spoke with another lady. They have someone working specifically on "international" complaints. They can't guarantee when it will get shipped but I will be getting an adaptor, with instructions and replacement tape.

Tomorrow morning I am going to call 3M Canada to let them know they have lousy customer service.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2008, 03:58 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

I received my package today. When I had spoken with Barb last week, she said I should send the gun in. Then she called me back and said to just throw it out, I didn't need to send it in. Sunday I had put it in the trash bag, but since I had stuff to complete, I pulled it back out. I am very glad I did this -- in my shipment today was not a new gun, but purely the new piece that is supposedly the problem. I have not yet replaced it so I don't know if it actually fixes the problem. I would not have been happy had I actually pitched the gun and ended up with a gear only from 3M.

We'll see if I get my rolls of tape, as they are listed on back order.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2008, 04:10 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

I called 3M and asked them if they had a recall on any of their ATG 714 guns. The man I talked to said it was not technically a recall but that they were replacing a geer on the back wheel. It was not sized right and caused the tape to start getting to tight about the middle of the roll and got tighter and tighter until it was really hard to roll and would eventually break the tape. He told me they would get the part out to me immediately and then asked it I had ruined any tape using the gun. I told him that I had 3-4 rolls break. He said they would send me 6 rolls of tape along with my replacement part. I hope it makes my ATG gun work better and that I actually get them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2008, 04:51 PM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

I am glad I found this thread! I am having the same issues with the tape sliding over and trying to come off and the tightening up about 1/2 way through the tape until it gets difficult to pull. I thought it might just be me! I called the number, but Barb is out until Friday. I will call again and talk to her hopefully on Friday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2008, 04:03 AM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilsisbetView Post
Update (well kind of)

I called 3M in Canada about my faulty 714. The girl in Customer Service said she would talk to a "technical" expert. She called me back and said that it was a problem with the tape. That I probably had a bad batch of tape. I wasn't happy (since I knew better) and kept asking what about the next batch of tape I buy - who says it will be better. She said it was a gamble. After more questions, she finally gave me the name of the "technical expert". I left him a message last Thursday and have yet to hear back from him. I gave up with 3M Canada and called the phone number that Jaxbabie3 posted. Barb is on vacation, but I spoke with another lady. They have someone working specifically on "international" complaints. They can't guarantee when it will get shipped but I will be getting an adaptor, with instructions and replacement tape.

Tomorrow morning I am going to call 3M Canada to let them know they have lousy customer service.
I heard from 3M Canada on Friday (a week later). I mentioned that I called
3M in the US and that - yes there is a problem with the tape runner and they were going to send me an adapter. He (the technical expert) asked me the name / number of the person I spoke with. He was going to call them to see what the problem is and try to assist in getting my "fix" shipped to Canada.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2008, 04:19 AM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilsisbetView Post
I heard from 3M Canada on Friday (a week later). I mentioned that I called
3M in the US and that - yes there is a problem with the tape runner and they were going to send me an adapter. He (the technical expert) asked me the name / number of the person I spoke with. He was going to call them to see what the problem is and try to assist in getting my "fix" shipped to Canada.
How frustrating for you. I hope they get your replacement sent to you soon.

I wanted to thank you for starting this thread. I had no idea that there was an issue with the 714. I have the same problems but I thought it was me doing something wrong! So thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2008, 08:55 AM   #22  
Kookie Creator

I got my replacement part and replacement tape. I haven't gotten around to putting on the new part yet but when I do I will let you know how it works out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2008, 03:10 PM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

I called Friday and they are shipping a replacement part to me, too. I love my atg so I hope it fixes the problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2008, 05:12 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've had my ATG for a year or so--it's not defective--but I still occasionally have the tape-sliding-over-too-far problem. :-) Sometimes it's because I'm pulling the tape not quite straight when I end it. Does that make sense??? To fix that problem, I open the gun and lift the tape liner slightly off the new tape (where they meet up at the top) and reposition it on *straight*. Then, as long as I remember to pull straight back, and not to an angle, the problem stays fixed.

I don't know if any of that made sense, but I wanted to offer an option for the sideways tape problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2008, 08:35 AM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

Great news....

I received notification that Fedex has a parcel for me from 3M. It will be there when I get home tonight. Keeping my fingers crossed that it fixes the problem.

For those of you in the Great White North (Dang it has been cold here this past week!) - if your having problems with your ATG, give 3M in the US a call and they will sort it out for you.

Thanks all for your info and help.

Elizabeth

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2008, 09:02 AM   #26  
Kookie Creator

I've had this same problem too. At first I wasn't sure if mine was defective because it was more difficult to roll but it wasn't terrible and my tape didn't break. Finally, I figured it wouldn't hurt to email 3M about it. They agreed that mine sounded defective so they sent me the new part and some replacement tape. I just changed out the part over the weekend and WOW! What a difference it made! My ATG runs like butter now. Its amazing. Glad I saw people here talking about it, otherwise I never would have contacted 3M and would have assumed it was just me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2008, 09:54 AM   #27  
hdp
SCS BRAK Coordinator

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I received my replacement part and it works perfectly now. I was beginning to wonder why everyone loved their ATG since I was having so much trouble with mine. Glad I read the thread about others having the same problem and I wasn't tape gun challenged.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2008, 06:27 PM   #28  
Crimping Master

So when did everyone order these defective ATG's? Hopefully it was a temporary problem that 3M has fixed? Just ordered 8 of 'em- my friends will not be impressed if i led them astray...:confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2008, 08:57 PM   #29  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3girls1guyView Post
So when did everyone order these defective ATG's? Hopefully it was a temporary problem that 3M has fixed? Just ordered 8 of 'em- my friends will not be impressed if i led them astray...:confused:
From what I have heard, the defective ones were from the beginning of this year. All new ones are fine. I think your friends will love it. Mine was defective and as soon as I put the new part in there I loved it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2008, 09:18 PM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 248 Likes on 132 Posts

My 714 is at about 2 years old. Please do NOT give up on the ATG ... if they are offering something to fix this issue, please ask for it. I adore my ATG. The adhesive is so very high tack that I cannot imagine having to 'settle' for lesser adhesion. If you're having the aforementioned issues, let the company help you in solving those problems. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2008, 05:03 PM   #31  
Glitter Queen

Default The Red ATG 714 Gun Issues

Hello,
The dispensers in question were shipped by 3M to distributors just after the first of the year. If you think you have a defective one, there is an easy test you can do. Open your dispenser and either remove the roll of tape that is in it or at least disconnect the tape from the take up reel.
Hold the dispenser with the nose roller facing to your left.
Place your right fingertip near the the outer edge of the take up reel (the one on the right) and try to rotate it using only your finger tip.
The reel should turn fairly easily using very little force. It you cannot turn it using just one finger chances are very good that you have a defective model.
Call 3M and tell them you need the replacement part. No matter what they say DO NOT THROW OUT YOUR OLD DISPENSER UNTIL YOU HAVE A NEW ONE IN YOUR HANDS!!! I stress this because 3M has told more than a few customers that they were sending a replacement dispenser. Now that they have isolated the faulty part, they are only shipping the replacement part!
Hope this helps you, Dana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2008, 06:26 PM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by apakinc.comView Post
Hello,
The dispensers in question were shipped by 3M to distributors just after the first of the year. If you think you have a defective one, there is an easy test you can do. Open your dispenser and either remove the roll of tape that is in it or at least disconnect the tape from the take up reel.
Hold the dispenser with the nose roller facing to your left.
Place your right fingertip near the the outer edge of the take up reel (the one on the right) and try to rotate it using only your finger tip.
The reel should turn fairly easily using very little force. It you cannot turn it using just one finger chances are very good that you have a defective model.
Call 3M and tell them you need the replacement part. No matter what they say DO NOT THROW OUT YOUR OLD DISPENSER UNTIL YOU HAVE A NEW ONE IN YOUR HANDS!!! I stress this because 3M has told more than a few customers that they were sending a replacement dispenser. Now that they have isolated the faulty part, they are only shipping the replacement part!
Hope this helps you, Dana
That is definitely good advice -- I was told to throw out my old one and they would send me a new one. I received only the replacement part and fortunately, had fetched the old one out of the trash prior to trash day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2008, 07:40 AM   #33  
ast
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you Thank you for this thread. I bought my ATG 714 from framing supply the beginning to the year and have fought with it every since. I just hung up the phone with Barb she is such a nice lady...sending my replacement part and Tape....yippeee...she said that she could help over the phone with any tension problems. Here is her direct number 1-800-285-3215..
Reply With Quote Likes