Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-11-2007, 04:20 AM   #81  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let us know how they turned out!! I also got my tiles at home depot last night and I am hoping to try them out sometime today!
Stefanie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2007, 04:37 AM   #82  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

This thread convinced me to take a try at the coasters too. My plan is to make 10 sets for our girlfriend's christmas get together.

I found the rialto tiles on clearance for .7 each at Lowes. My test tile was stazon with sharpies and a blender pen. I baked it for 20 minutes at 250 and used it and it didn't bleed. Today I'm going to spray a sealer to see what happens.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2007, 05:33 AM   #83  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLS881View Post
This thread convinced me to take a try at the coasters too. My plan is to make 10 sets for our girlfriend's christmas get together.

I found the rialto tiles on clearance for .7 each at Lowes. My test tile was stazon with sharpies and a blender pen. I baked it for 20 minutes at 250 and used it and it didn't bleed. Today I'm going to spray a sealer to see what happens.
7 cents!!!!!! I am soooo jelous! The only home improvement store near us (and its 35 miles away) is Home Depot. I paid $5.95 for packs of 9. Weird ammount, I thought. So, it's like 66 cents each. I think I've paid the most, but it will still cut down on my Christmas shopping!
I like your idea of baking and sealing.
Stef
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2007, 03:59 PM   #84  
Die Cut Diva

ok now i've seen this thread i'm going to try this.. so many diff ways it seems..
pref really i think..
but i am willing to try til i like..

i too wondered about the condensation if putting shiny on it.. sooo time will tell..
thanks to all for the input !!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2007, 04:58 PM   #85  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharmanmitchellView Post
I know these are not coasters, but I thought they would be another great use for tile. I bought the 2x2 tiles that come in a sheet with the webbing on the back. I think they were about $10 and you get 36 of them. I then peeled them off the backing and used the All In the Family set to make personalized tiles for everyone in my family. My 2 1/2 year old daughter loves to play with them on the fridge and uses hers to hang the painting she did. Anyway, just thought I would share. I stamped them with Stazon and colored them in with watercolor pencils and a blender pen. Baked them at 350 for 25 minutes and after they cooled, sprayed with Krylon. I used Crystal Effects to adhere the magnet on the back. I used a 1" ceramic disk magnet and it works great and actually is strong enough to hold the tile and whatever you want to stay on the fridge. I hate it when you buy a magnet and it won't even hold a sheet of paper.

I did have a question regarding using craft ink on tiles. What are you using to apply the craft ink?

Shar
Oh, I so love these!!! I may have to do these for teacher gifts. Thanks for sharing!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2007, 07:37 PM   #86  
Glitter Queen

Question Tiles: Heat Set vs. Spay-On Sealant...

Greetings...

I am interested in making some tiles.
I have both the Home Depot and Lowe's tiles.

After reading everyone's helpful insight...
I am gathering that with the -

Home Depot Tiles (Botticino): one would stamp with Stazon and then color with either Stazon or Sharpies then your done...no need to heat set.

Lowe's Tiles (Rialta): one would stamp with Stazon and then color with pastels/craft ink and then heat set. Let cool and spray with either Krylon's Matte or Clear Glaze or do you heat set them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 06:14 AM   #87  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpankyView Post
Greetings...

I am interested in making some tiles.
I have both the Home Depot and Lowe's tiles.

After reading everyone's helpful insight...
I am gathering that with the -

Home Depot Tiles (Botticino): one would stamp with Stazon and then color with either Stazon or Sharpies then your done...no need to heat set.

Lowe's Tiles (Rialta): one would stamp with Stazon and then color with pastels/craft ink and then heat set. Let cool and spray with either Krylon's Matte or Clear Glaze or do you heat set them?
My Rialta tiles were heat set but then the sharpie color ran when I wiped it so I am also spraying with Krylon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2007, 10:28 PM   #88  
Kookie Creator

I just bought some tiles from Lowe's this week. I tested one on Monday evening. I stamped it with black StazOn ink. I colored in the image with Stampin' Pastels and a blender pen. I let it set overnight (approx. 6 hours) before touching it. I wasn't very careful about where I was touching it (my daughter also touched it) - right in the middle of the image and I noticed that the color smudged a bit.

I am planning to do this with some ladies on Saturday but I'm not sure I will be at home or a rented location, so I don't know if I will be able to bake them. I agree with a previous poster that I don't want to put something in my oven to bake that could be toxic.

What is the recommended method for the Lowe's Botticino Tumbled Marble Tiles? Was there a tutorial done before and posted under the resources section? I wasn't able to find it.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2007, 03:08 AM   #89  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

i always use Workable Fixatif spray (you can find this in AC Moore, Michaels and Walmart) before stamping and using the chalks. This spray preps the surface of the tile. I have never had a problem with smudging.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2007, 05:18 AM   #90  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampabellaView Post
I just bought some tiles from Lowe's this week. I tested one on Monday evening. I stamped it with black StazOn ink. I colored in the image with Stampin' Pastels and a blender pen. I let it set overnight (approx. 6 hours) before touching it. I wasn't very careful about where I was touching it (my daughter also touched it) - right in the middle of the image and I noticed that the color smudged a bit.

I am planning to do this with some ladies on Saturday but I'm not sure I will be at home or a rented location, so I don't know if I will be able to bake them. I agree with a previous poster that I don't want to put something in my oven to bake that could be toxic.

What is the recommended method for the Lowe's Botticino Tumbled Marble Tiles? Was there a tutorial done before and posted under the resources section? I wasn't able to find it.

Thanks for your help!
Please see my post #30 in this thread - I used the Botticino tumbled tiles and so did StamperSharon on her coasters.

Also, here's the link to the SCS Resources tutorial (under Projects), which uses the tumbled tiles too:

Tutorials at Splitcoaststampers

Hope that helps!

Linda

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2007, 05:23 PM   #91  
Embossing Fanatic

Okay, I shrugged off my non creative jitters, and did it. I printed my images out on tissue paper, modge podged my tile, put the paper down, and modge podged my top, the color from my pic started to come off onto the tile when I went over it with the foam brush. Is there a way to stop this? I let it dry over night, stamped on my saying with Staz-on, and modge podged over it again. It smeared a little more of the color (pic not stamped title), and the modge podge made it look a little cloudy, and streaked (you can see the brush strokes). Is this normal, do I dilute the modge podge? ( I just poured a little onto a plate, and dipped the sponge paintbrush into it, and put it on my tile.)
I am not too disappointed with the overall effect, but want to "tighten" it up a little. Any pointers?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2007, 05:55 PM   #92  
Kookie Creator

I think your smearing problem may be a result of the ink used on your printer. Is it ink jet or laser? One may be better to use with mod podge than the other. The tutorial was done with black and white too which may be more forgiving than color. If you have a different printer or access to a friends try making 3 more tiles. One from your printer in black and white and then 2 from a different type of printer (B&W and color). Then let us know if it makes any difference!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2007, 07:43 PM   #93  
Embossing Fanatic

it is an inkjet, I called around, but no one has a laser one, but will try the b&w over the week end! Thanks for the suggestions!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2007, 07:46 PM   #94  
Vintage Vixen

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcravenView Post
Okay, I shrugged off my non creative jitters, and did it. I printed my images out on tissue paper, modge podged my tile, put the paper down, and modge podged my top, the color from my pic started to come off onto the tile when I went over it with the foam brush. Is there a way to stop this? I let it dry over night, stamped on my saying with Staz-on, and modge podged over it again. It smeared a little more of the color (pic not stamped title), and the modge podge made it look a little cloudy, and streaked (you can see the brush strokes). Is this normal, do I dilute the modge podge? ( I just poured a little onto a plate, and dipped the sponge paintbrush into it, and put it on my tile.)
I am not too disappointed with the overall effect, but want to "tighten" it up a little. Any pointers?

My ink smeared too and I'm pretty sure it's because of the printer. I have an HP3210 All-in-One printer, scanner, copier that takes ink cartridge #2, and the ink smears terrible on anything I print if it gets wet.

I had some success when I sprayed my tissue paper images with an acrylic sealer and let it dry before adhering it to my tile with Mod Podge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2007, 07:50 PM   #95  
Embossing Fanatic

Mine is the Lexmark X6150, I will spray the fixative on one of the pics I have already printed and try it tomorrow! Just use the sealant they use in the tutorial? Oh I am so stoked to try it again! Thanks ladies! I can't tell you how much I learn here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2007, 08:04 PM   #96  
Vintage Vixen

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcravenView Post
Mine is the Lexmark X6150, I will spray the fixative on one of the pics I have already printed and try it tomorrow! Just use the sealant they use in the tutorial? Oh I am so stoked to try it again! Thanks ladies! I can't tell you how much I learn here!
Yep.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2007, 08:13 PM   #97  
Kookie Creator

If it comes down to it you can make a copy at Kinkos or someplace like that, they have laser printers. Let us know what works best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2007, 06:09 PM   #98  
Cardstock Collector

Question tile photo question

Okay, so after reading through the entire thread I think I missed something. I would love to make some of these for Christmas but I really would like to put photos on them. I read in one of the messages about printing on tissue paper or something. I'm just really confused. If someone has a tutorial about how to make the tiles with photos could you send me a link? Please???
Have a great Turkey Day!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2007, 06:32 PM   #99  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by leahpennView Post
Okay, so after reading through the entire thread I think I missed something. I would love to make some of these for Christmas but I really would like to put photos on them. I read in one of the messages about printing on tissue paper or something. I'm just really confused. If someone has a tutorial about how to make the tiles with photos could you send me a link? Please???
Have a great Turkey Day!!!
Here is the link to photo tiles in resources
Tutorials at Splitcoaststampers

hth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2007, 07:15 PM   #100  
Cardstock Collector

Talking

Thanks so much pjw3362004!

Just a couple more questions for all of you.
1. Is sealing it best or is baking it best? (I'm assuming sealing it 'cause wouldn't baking burn/mess up the tissue paper?)
2. Does the sealer make it totally water proof or do you still have some problems with it smearing? (I read the part about using a laser printer to keep from it smearing when you apply the modge podge but is the sealer enough to keep it from smearing after that?)

Thanks so much ladies!!!
Leah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2007, 05:44 AM   #101  
Cardstock Collector

Thanksk ladies for all the help, going to give it try...keep your fingers crossed that all goes well!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 10:06 AM   #102  
Watercolor Wizard

My coasters are stamped, colored, baked and will be sealed. If all goes, my friends will have their gifts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2008, 12:38 PM   #103  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Smile To seal or not to seal

Quote:

Originally Posted by leahpennView Post
Thanks so much pjw3362004!

Just a couple more questions for all of you.
1. Is sealing it best or is baking it best? (I'm assuming sealing it 'cause wouldn't baking burn/mess up the tissue paper?)
2. Does the sealer make it totally water proof or do you still have some problems with it smearing? (I read the part about using a laser printer to keep from it smearing when you apply the modge podge but is the sealer enough to keep it from smearing after that?)

Thanks so much ladies!!!
Leah
I never seal my coasters. I buy the tumbled marble, clean well, stamp with Staz-on, bake in 300 degree oven about 30 min., apply cork to bottom. Never a problem. Some sealers will make your tiles non-porous and they won't absorb the moisture but it will sit on top of the coaster instead.

Just my 2 cents worth
Charlene -My Gallery
My blog: www.paperandinkplayground.com My shop: thepapersandbox.etsy.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2008, 06:34 AM   #104  
Insane Embellisher

I have been experimenting with this for awhile now. The Rialto tiles did not work for me. I tired stamping with Stazon, baking and sealing with Krylon but the image still rubbed off when I put my coffee cup on it. I switched tiles to the Bottichino Tumbled Marble tiles and they are great! I stamped with Stazon and colored with chalk. I did have to seal them with Krylon because of the chalk but I have been using them for my coffee cup and the image is NOT coming off. I got these tiles at Lowe's. I think they were around $5.50 for 9 tiles - they come in a box. Here are the tiles that I made for Christmas this year:

Lovely As A Tree Coasters by shadowkat1283 at Splitcoaststampers

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2008, 07:05 AM   #105  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Heaven - Buried under a mountain of paper scraps and stamps!

I had the same problem with stamping directly on the RIALTO tiles. They were just too slippery!!! Then I tried stamping on tissue paper, colored them with markers, used modge podge, and finally sealing the coasters. They turned out pretty well (at least I think so!) Here is the link to one set that I did using this method -
Hope Coasters by ckreege at Splitcoaststampers
On this set I printed out words on computer then stamped images.

Hope this helps.
Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2008, 06:37 AM   #106  
Crimping Master

I'm glad that I found this thread since I'm planning to make some for Christmas gifts.

I especially want to hear about what DID NOT work for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2008, 11:49 AM   #107  
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks for all of these wonderful tips! From what I'm reading, there is much debate on whether to bake or not to and whether to seal or not to. Can someone please weigh in and let me know your opinion? I want to try this out before Christmas but I'm uncertain on what method to go with!

Thanks again! =)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2008, 07:57 AM   #108  
Insane Embellisher

I think you just have to experiment for yourself and see what works for you. I bought the wrong coasters the first time. The Rialto (glazed) coasters did not work for me. I tried everthing, even sealing them but the image still came off. Then I tried the Bottochino (sp?) tumbled marble tiles, used stazon ink and I baked mine but I don't think I had to. I used chalks to color them so I had to seal them. These came out great and image is not coming off. Here are the ones I made for Christmas gifts this year:

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2008, 09:26 AM   #109  
Cardstock Collector

I am wondering how the rialto tiles do with chalks applied with blender pen or colored pencils. I plan on sealing them. If you have done either of these techniques I would love to know the results.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2008, 10:54 AM   #110  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowkat1283View Post
I think you just have to experiment for yourself and see what works for you. I bought the wrong coasters the first time. The Rialto (glazed) coasters did not work for me. I tried everthing, even sealing them but the image still came off. Then I tried the Bottochino (sp?) tumbled marble tiles, used stazon ink and I baked mine but I don't think I had to. I used chalks to color them so I had to seal them. These came out great and image is not coming off. Here are the ones I made for Christmas gifts this year:

Kathy

Thanks for sharing your experience. I looked at uour coasters and I love the chalking that you did! They turned out beautifully! Great job! I think I'll go with your suggestion and try the tiles you used. I really like the look of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2008, 11:00 AM   #111  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowkat1283View Post

Kathy
Oh, where did you buy your tiles from? I live in Minnesota and I'm close to Lowe's, Home Depot and Menards. Thanks again Kathy!

Jennifer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2008, 01:45 PM   #112  
Rubber Obsessor

I bought the matte finished tiles for walls, I cleaned them with a cotton ball and rubbing alcohol ( i read somewhere this takes off any finish and makes ink stick better) I then alcohol inked and then I stamped using staz on or big juicy black archival pad... I used the heat gun until the ink was dry, then sprayed with finish.... I used felt feei for the bottom... I also did this with larger sizes. They are on my blog createwithnikki.blogspot.com, and my etsy shop. The larger trivet ones i used cork feet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2008, 06:12 PM   #113  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

:p well im going to go to the HD tomorrow and buy some tile to give this a whirl i will let you know the outcome..sounds kinda scary
bake,no bake, spray no spray
what kinda ink? hmmmmmmm :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2008, 06:53 PM   #114  

Default tile

Hi
I used the lighthouse stamp from stampin up. The first tile was great thought I would try stamp a second image. Didn't work. So i just used window cleaner as soon as I saw it didn't look good and it came right off. Did heat set the first think I got the gun too close so it smeared a little bit. But kinda adds to the image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2008, 10:01 PM   #115  
Stazon Splitcoast

has anyone ever made tiles with regular su ink??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 04:24 AM   #116  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Heaven - Buried under a mountain of paper scraps and stamps!

I stamped on tissue paper first then adhered to rialto tiles.
See response #105 above.
Not sure if this was what you wanted to do, just sharing my experience.

Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 06:29 AM   #117  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckreegeView Post
I stamped on tissue paper first then adhered to rialto tiles.
See response #105 above.
Not sure if this was what you wanted to do, just sharing my experience.

Cathy
cool thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 04:50 PM   #118  
Glitter Guru

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a tutorial on my blog on tile coasters using chalks.
http://stampingcountry.typepad.com/s...-tutorial.html

Enjoy,

Robin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 05:44 PM   #119  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

bought my tiles today, now tomorrow i plan on stampin these up and coloring them, but im still confused bake?? spray??
both?
:confused: :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2008, 06:01 PM   #120  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin LeeView Post
I have a tutorial on my blog on tile coasters using chalks.
http://stampingcountry.typepad.com/s...-tutorial.html

Enjoy,

Robin
cool thanks
Reply With Quote Likes