Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-16-2005, 11:39 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stamping on Walls

I've posted a number of photos in the gallery today of wall stamping I have done. I've had lots of great feedback, questions and comments. I just thought I'd let everyone know what other kinds of photos I have to see if anyone is interested in seeing them. I have done a shell border in a bathroom, a safari border, and a woodsy type border with pine trees, a cabin and such. I have also done a morning glory border around a mirror. If anyone is interested, either message me or post a reply and I'd be happy to upload them.

Also, remember that I stamped these rooms over the course of a few years, and they are NOT all in my own house. I've donated stamped rooms for auctions and volunteered my time at our local elementary school.

www.pinkhedgehogpapercrafts.com
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2005, 12:03 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

TFS! ! I'm considering stamping on my walls with the new Fresh Fruits DD set... can't wait to browse your ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2005, 12:11 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I am getting ready to stamp my stamp room adn would love to see what you have done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2005, 12:50 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

I'm uploading a few more. Here's the link to one of my borders. Hopefully the link will work. I'm new to SCS, but a long-time die-hard stamper!

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2005, 01:10 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

This may be have an obvious answer but...do you use stamp pads or actual paint when you paint on walls?

I've always been interested in this but haven't ever really understood it.

Would love to know...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2005, 01:22 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I just e-mailed detailed directions to one other person, so I might as well copy it into here:

I have quite a few pieces of advice. First of all, try it on paper before stamping on walls. If my wall is white, I just use the backside of a sheet of SU's Grid Paper to test stamp. If the wall is another color, I paint the paper that color first then stamp on it. I usually hang it on the wall where I'm going to be stamping and look at it for a few days to see if anything about it bothers me, then I make adjustments if necessary and when I'm satisfied...I stamp! If you have textured walls, the stamps will come out more "rustic" on the wall than they did on paper.

OK, next...the cheapest thing to stamp with is the Delta Ceramcoat Acrylic craft paints that you can buy in those little bottles in any craft store for about $0.88. Any brand will work, just look for the color you want. I usually end up buying a few colors that turn out to be wrong, but they are good later for stamping on fabric (when using them for fabric, it's best to mix them with a textile medium so the paint is softer when dry and holds up better to washing....but I digress).

I've heard of lots of techniques for "inking" up stamps with paint. One I've heard is putting the paint onto a paper plate, covering it with cheesecloth or linen and working the paint through the fabric. That didn't work too well for me. I've tried other things, and honestly, I think mine is best, cheapest, and easiest. I just use foam or plastic disposable plates to squirt the paint into. I use one of the super cheap foam paint brushes with the wooden handles (about $0.50) to apply the paint to the stamp. I kind of dab and mush it on rather than brushing so you get a smooth finish. There is a fine line between too much paint (so it smears or globs) and not enough. Just play with it until you get a feel for it.

To get an even line for a border, I measure up from the baseboard or down from the ceiling and draw a light, horizontal pencil line. For the birdhouse and daisy borders, I drew a straight line, but I sort of went above and below the line but always used the line to keep me relatively level. Another important reason to stamp on paper is to see if the design will be too busy, is the spacing right or too close. Once I decide on the spacing (like the birdhouse border), say you want 6 inches between birdhouses, then I mark off the 6-inch increments along the horizontal line.

Make sure to wash up the stamp when you change stamps. The paint is harder to get off if you let it get dry. I find holding the stamp under running water and scrubbing with a toothbrush is the best and easiest. I've never had any problems with the blocks cracking or anything because of the water, just make sure you don't let them sit in water.

Now that SU has come out with tons of Craft ink pads, you have more choices as they work well also. I prefer the acrylic paint for a couple of reasons: they are cheaper than the pads, you can buy four bottles of paint for the same price as one SU Craft refill; the acrylic paint is really fast drying. When you're working your way around a room, the paint is super dry when you get back to the start, no waiting time.

So, I hope this helps. if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Happy Stamping!!

Heidi

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2005, 07:06 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

hey! thanks for posting all that great info!! I'm planning to stamp the walls in my new house soon!

I'm just really glad you posted this, and wanted to say thanks!
Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2005, 01:22 AM   #8  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by shannonlspears
I am getting ready to stamp my stamp room adn would love to see what you have done.
I have also thought about stamping a border around my kitchen with the new DD Fresh Fruit Set. I would love to see your walls when you get it done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2005, 01:23 AM   #9  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawn.MA
TFS! ! I'm considering stamping on my walls with the new Fresh Fruits DD set... can't wait to browse your ideas!
I posted the wrong quote-Oops!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2005, 09:28 AM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

Default craft ink pads on walls-DON'T USE

I just wanted to share a stamping experience with you all so that it does not happen to you...it was a horrible experience!

I was told by an upline that you could use the craft pads to stamp on walls. I had a customer try it in her bathroom and the paint looked dry but everytime they took a shower it would get wet and run (it had "dried for over 24 hours prior to shower use). I was quite suprised when I had heard others had done this technique and never had a problem.

I called SU and was told that it is "not recommended" to use craft pads on walls because you will never get it off. They told me that even if you paint over it it will continue to come up through the paint. I was so upset. I contacted my upline who then contacted someone else and SU and so on and winds up this recommendation did not come from SU but from from people saying you could (lesson learned there)!

SU made me feel like there was no hope. I went to Lowe's and talked to a paint person (with my craft pad in hand to show him exactly what was used) and he suggested something for me to purchase that should get it up. I checked with the customer a couple times after dropping the product up but she wasn't in a rush to fix it (thank goodness she tried it in a hidden spot first) and I have yet to hear from her.

Even though I have heard of the craft pads working for some on walls I really suggest that you stick to using acrylic paint when stamping on walls. I would never want anyone to go through what I had to!

If you need me to look up what I bought email me at [email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2005, 10:17 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Concerning problem with painted walls in bathroom. I'm sure "Kiltz" primer would cover the mess so that you could start over. I used it when a hurricaine ruined my ceiling with water stains and it ended up looking good as new. HTH, Nan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2005, 10:22 AM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks for your reply Nan. That was one of my suggestions to the customer as well. I am sure that must work. If not guess I'll be cutting and replacing dry wall because I feel so bad!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2005, 02:55 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Does anyone have an idea of how I could get a more complete coverage on textured walls? My design isn't really condusive to the "rustic" look. :? I have taken the stamps and stamped them on to blank stencils and used an X-acto knife to cut them out, but made it halfway through before I couldn't handle it anymore! That's a lot of work...........

Anyone have any fabulous ideas???

Thanks in advance!

Amy
Reply With Quote Likes