Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-22-2005, 05:30 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stamping on tiles

I was wondering how to make the tiles that are listed in the gallery. I would love to possibly make some of these for Christmas.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2005, 06:00 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Wink Detailed Coaster Directions

I have been known for giving too many directions, so I hope this isn't too overwhelming! Good luck!

COASTER DIRECTIONS
Supplies
*Bottochino Tumbled Tiles (found in Lowe�s on tile isle)
StazOn Ink (p.222) & StazOn Cleaner (found at Michael�s on Stamp Isle)
Heat Emboss Gun (p.226)
Stamp-a-Ma-Jig Stamp Positioner (p.224)
Stamps
Sharpie Markers
Blender Pen Refill (below)
SU! Stampin� Write Journalers (p.200, 201) or some type of Pigment Markers
Stampin� Pastels (p.199)
Petal Point Chalk Ink Pads (p.222) and/or SU! Craft Ink (Pigment) Pads
Watercolor Pencils (p.223) Blender Pen (p.223)
Q-tips and/or Cosmetic Applicators (like a Q-tip w/a point) found at CVS in cosmetics (all references to a Q-tip are interchangeable with a cosmetic applicator)
Stamping Sponges (p.224)
Patricia Nimocks Matt Sealer by PLAID (found at Wal-Mart)
Sheet Cork (Michaels) and Craft Glue, Rolling Pin
Crystal Effects (p.220) & Dazzling Diamonds (DD) Glitter (p.22, Paint Brush

1. Rub tile with a clean cloth to remove dust.
2. Stamp your image as desired using StazOn ink or Petal Point Chalk ink.
3. Heat emboss for a few minutes, then let coaster cool. You may also choose to heat set the coaster in the oven at 300 degrees for 20 min and/or let the coaster sit overnight before coloring in image to be sure that StazOn is completely dry.
4. Color your image(s) using **Sharpies, SU! Stampin� Pastels (apply dry w/Q-tip or w/blender pen), pigment markers, petal point chalk ink (apply with Q-tip), watercolor pencils. Ink can also be applied with a Stamping Sponge. While coloring, try not to color over StazOn ink with Sharpies as the inks will smear each other. The pigment markers and chalk inks do not smear if you just heat set w/emboss gun for a few minutes before coloring.
5. After your image is colored exactly as you like, heat set in the oven at 300 degrees for 20 min. Images colored with chalk ink and/or pigment markers should be heat set in oven. This step is not necessary if you use only StazOn ink and Sharpie markers.
6. If you use pastels, watercolor pencils, or any other non-permanent supply to color your image, you must seal it with Matt Sealer. I highly recommend masking the part of the coaster that was not colored so that you will spray only the image. This allows the coaster to remain absorbent for real use. Do this by stamping your image on scrap paper. Closely cut out your image while keeping your scrap paper intact. Use the scrap paper with image removed to mask the coaster by lining up the hole with your image that needs to be sprayed. Spray about 3 LIGHT coats allowing it to dry between coats.
7. If desired, brush on Crystal Effects to accent areas and sprinkle on DD glitter. Let dry.
8. Finish your coaster by adding a cork back. Cut a 3 ��X3 �� piece of cork. Apply craft glue to cork or purchase cork with adhesive on back. Place on the bottom of the coaster. Roll with a rolling pin to completely flatten and ensure proper adhesion.
9. Add a label on the back of cork stamped with �Hand Made by� and sign.

*These are porous, unglazed tiles. Glazed tiles are not recommended. **You can use the Sharpies on the coasters by directly coloring onto the tile for vibrant color, or you can touch the Sharpie to a cosmetic applicator that has been dampened with the blender pen refill. The Sharpie color will glide on while softening the color. To use this technique with pigment markers, scribble the ink onto a piece of scrap plastic and pick the color up with the dampened cosmetic applicator. **I do not recommend using Xyron to make cork stickers. I broke my Xyron that way. ***Do not use Sharpies to color highly detailed images. Note: References to page numbers are for the 2005-2006 SU! Ideal Book and Catalog.

Blender Pen Refill Recipe
1 oz glycerin (equal to 2T)
2 oz distilled water
3/4 t alcohol
Carefully pull out both ends of blender pen, let the ends soak in solution a couple of hours, use a dropper to put a couple of drops of the solution into the pen body and then put ends back in place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2005, 06:16 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

If you find you need any more info, a search of the forum will yield a TON of information!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2005, 12:27 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Default Help! the petal point chalks ruined my blender pens!

has anyone else had this problem? I used stazon and colored in with petal point chalk and blender pens for a tile class and ended up ruining my blender pens. I ordered more and thought, oh, well, I won't do that again, but my customers love it and ask for it all the time. What does everyone else do?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2005, 07:52 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

WOW Stampincamper!! What great instructions! I copied and then pasted them into my Word so that I would not lose them when I go to do Christmas gifts!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2005, 05:57 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by laredostamper
has anyone else had this problem? I used stazon and colored in with petal point chalk and blender pens for a tile class and ended up ruining my blender pens. I ordered more and thought, oh, well, I won't do that again, but my customers love it and ask for it all the time. What does everyone else do?
Next time try using q-tips instead of the blender pen to color images in. It works suprisingly well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2005, 06:11 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I did my first coaster this week. I stamped with StazOn one day and then colored in with Sharpies the next day. I'm using it right now as a test. I've not baked it - but I may go ahead and do so. If this works out, I'll do more as gifts.
Attached Thumbnails
stamping on tiles-weimfamily_first_coaster.jpg  

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2005, 07:38 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Default Staz On coaster

Here's one I made on Friday using only Staz On. I made a second one with black Staz On and Sharpies but it looks awful. I don't think Balmy Breezes lends itself well to be colored in with markers.
~Gina
Attached Thumbnails
stamping on tiles-balmy-breezes-tile-001s.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2005, 06:16 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I love it, it's beautiful. Thanks, now I'll have to buy more Staz On. LOL
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes