Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-28-2008, 11:02 AM   #1  
Forum Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stamping on beach bucket HELP

I'm not sure if this belongs in Techniques or Tool & Product Talk, but I need help so I hope someone has done this...
For my dd upcoming bday at the beach I wanted to use those plastic beach buckets for favors, and have the kids decorate them as an activity. There will be mostly 5 & 6 year olds coming, and I will get parents to help if necessary. I know I can use foamie stickers but then they will come off if they actually use them at the beach, so I was hoping to find something more permanent without getting too complicated (such as having to prime beforehand or varnish afterward). My idea was foam stamps (since those are flexible enough to round a little)...but what ink?
I did a sample and was surprised that my StaZon didn't work! Well, it's okay, but it actually can be scraped off quite easily with my fingernail. Does it take more than a day to dry?
I found that Sharpies and Slick writers do work (with stencils or freehand), but the colors are going to be quite limited since the pails aren't white.
I also tried the Elmer's Painters pen, since it is opaque and comes in lighter colors, but it also scraped off (again, after a day of drying--perhaps it needs more time).
I don't want to use Krylon Fusion, or Plaid paint (too messy and would need a primer for the soft plastic).
Any other suggestions?! I could offer the option to clear coat with something if the parent/child wants it to be permanent, but if there is a way around that even better!
Thanks for your consideration of this dilemma!
Lynn
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2008, 01:36 PM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

Anyone??? Has anyone used Stazon on plastic before with success?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2008, 08:26 AM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

OK, I'm going to btt once more... but do you think more people would see this post in a different forum? Maybe tool & product talk?
Thanks for your consideration!
Lynn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2008, 08:55 AM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

I think the idea you have is a great one but I cannot think of anything but sharpies myself-how about you just writing their names on the buckets and maybe filling them with like the dirt cake recipe and having them "plant" gummy worms etc or filling them with little craft stuff they can decorate like mine notebooks with stickers? sorry I know not much help...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2008, 09:09 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I stamped on one last summer with Stazon --just let it dry a long time.

It was gift - so how it "wore" over time, I have no clue.

Just buy a cheapo one and give it a shot! You have to hold the stamp steady and not smear...

I stamped child's name and some pails & shovels on it. Bigger the stamp, the better.

Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2008, 09:24 AM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Thank you for your suggestions, both of you! I figure worst case we'll use the Sharpies, and if they want to paint or use foamie stickers, they can. I'll just tell them it won't be permanent. I also have a foamie fish craft set from Michael's, so they have that to do also. I got stuff from OTC to put in the bucket already (beach ball, gummy fish, fish squirters, fish tatoos, Nemo fruit snacks, etc.).
How long is a "long time?" It has been a few days now (I did try one), and it is still EASILY scraped off. I found that smaller stamps work better because of the slipperiness (is that a word?) you mentioned, but it is still tricky.
I was really hoping some kind of paint pen or ink would work, just to get some lighter colors like white. I tried sanding and washing it first, maybe I'll try rubbing alcohol to prep it, or use my coupon to get a bottle of plastic primer and just prime a little section where they can make a "scene" KWIM?
Thanks again, I'm a newbie so I could use a LOT of help LOL.
Lynn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2008, 09:28 AM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

have you tried those acrylic paint pens or fabric paint pens? even though its not meant for what you want to use it for it might stain a little better-good luck!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2008, 07:09 PM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

If anyone's interested, I tried rubbing the bucket with Rubbing Alcohol before stamping with Stazon and that helped. It can still be scraped off, but not easily. So we're getting closer! I emailed Tsukineko so we'll see if they reply with any suggestions.
I was going to try the Plaid plastic primer but it has to dry an hour, and this will be at a party so that will be last resort (I'll prime it ahead of time).

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes