Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-17-2004, 10:19 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Location: somewhere over the rainbow, where people stamp/crop ALL day & their homes stay clean
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OH! I love these ornaments!!

Hey all.. I so wish that I had a scanner or something so that I could show you the ornaments that I made :!:

Once I got the size of the circle right(had to cut it out by hand :? ) I just stamped all of them, went back and colored in.. used some glitter with the 2-way glue and hairspray(which is the coolest look!) and I have 11 beautiful ornaments(even one for us)

FYI--if anyone else is making these.. the Dollar Tree has a 2-pack of small pretty gift boxes that they will fit in perfectly! So glad to have found them b/c most of mine are being mailed.

Thanks to ALL of you that posted to my ?? about how to make it stand out a little. My demonstrator let me borrow her black Staz on and I used that with the purple and colored it in a little 'bolder'. I found the greatest earth tone perm. markers are Wally-world! great for this.

Anyway.. thanks again--you guys are the best.
dawn <><
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 11:05 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

joyxfour they sound really pretty!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2004, 04:47 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Q

How are you getting the glitter to stay on when you roll up the acetate to stick it in the ornament? I thought it would come off and get everywhere!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2004, 05:00 AM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I did it I rolled so the glitter was on the inside of the roll...but yeah, it still gets everywhere! It's glitter! It's meant to go everywhere!

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2004, 05:39 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Oh, I love these ornaments

Wow, thanks so much for the tip about the boxes at Dollar Tree-I've been up a tree about how to wrap these to distribute so they don't break! The boxes at Factory Card Outlet are 99c each, a little steep when you've got a bunch to give away! I did find some attractive, tall plastic tumblers at Joann for 60% off, large enough to house one ornament wrapped in tissue, but even those can get banged around too easily (esp by a teenager taking them to school for her teachers!!).

I have a question -- How did you do the 2-way glue/hairspray/glitter? I tried 2-way glue and DD on one side of the acetate but it looked streaky. It sounds like yours turned out perfectly; please share how.

One neat effect I'll share - I stamped the snowflake from Yule Bits & Borders in Royal Blue Stazon for the smallest size ornaments, then adhered a small rhinestone gem to the middle of both sides of the acetate, using a tiny bit of mini glue dots - and they both stayed on, even after rolling the acetate up and getting it inside the ornaments!! (This came after several unsuccessful attempts at getting them to stick and stay on after inserting them!)

Aren't these ornaments so much fun???

Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2004, 09:07 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Location: somewhere over the rainbow, where people stamp/crop ALL day & their homes stay clean
Default Re: Oh, I love these ornaments

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glittergal

I have a question -- How did you do the 2-way glue/hairspray/glitter? I tried 2-way glue and DD on one side of the acetate but it looked streaky. It sounds like yours turned out perfectly; please share how.

One neat effect I'll share - I stamped the snowflake from Yule Bits & Borders in Royal Blue Stazon for the smallest size ornaments, then adhered a small rhinestone gem to the middle of both sides of the acetate, using a tiny bit of mini glue dots - and they both stayed on, even after rolling the acetate up and getting it inside the ornaments!! (This came after several unsuccessful attempts at getting them to stick and stay on after inserting them!)

Aren't these ornaments so much fun???

Linda
I practiced on an extra piece of the acetate before I did it on an ornament and it wasn't streaky at all. I also didn't do it all over with the 2-way.. just to highlight areas. Used it like a pen for certain areas. Am I making any sense?!?! lol :lol: The hairspray.. that was a stretch for me as I did it on an ornament!! but it turned out really well and it looks really pretty in front of the lights on the tree

Yes, these ornaments are great! Mine got sent yesterday.. can't wait to see if my family likes them.

Have a great Christmas!
Dawn <><
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2004, 09:40 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Glitter nail polish has been my friend with the ornaments - sparkly angel wings and sparkly snowmen.

The lesson from Charlie Brown: The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2004, 03:44 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Default ornaments..

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyloescards
Glitter nail polish has been my friend with the ornaments - sparkly angel wings and sparkly snowmen.
That is the COOLEST! using nail polish :lol: :!:

Thanks for sharing that idea.. you ladies here are just great.

Dawn <><

those are my 'beauties' in Guatemala
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2004, 04:37 AM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Default OH, I love these ornaments

Thanks Dawn for the explanation about the 2-way glue pen & glitter. Wow, (and duh!) I never thought about just doing one part of the image; I was only thinking about glittering the whole thing! But...does this mean that you need to glue & glitter both sides of the acetate for whatever part you want to be glittered? I could experiment on my own with this, but in the interest of time (which is running out) I thought I'd just ask you instead.

And thanks Kyloe about the glitter nail polish idea -- I'll have to try it. I did try Stickles but it was too thick & blotchy on the acetate, but I think the nail polish would be thinner and go on smoother.

....and just when I thought I was through with these ornaments, now I'm thinking about pulling out some of the acetate inserts and re-doing them using these great ideas! (Think I'll wait and see how much time I have left after other essentials get taken care of!)

Merry Christmas!

and p.s. to Dawn, I LOVE your Ichthus signature!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2004, 08:36 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Default Re: OH, I love these ornaments

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glittergal
Thanks Dawn for the explanation about the 2-way glue pen & glitter. Wow, (and duh!) I never thought about just doing one part of the image; I was only thinking about glittering the whole thing! But...does this mean that you need to glue & glitter both sides of the acetate for whatever part you want to be glittered? I could experiment on my own with this, but in the interest of time (which is running out) I thought I'd just ask you instead.

....and just when I thought I was through with these ornaments, now I'm thinking about pulling out some of the acetate inserts and re-doing them using these great ideas! (Think I'll wait and see how much time I have left after other essentials get taken care of!)

Merry Christmas!

and p.s. to Dawn, I LOVE your Ichthus signature!!
You are VERY welcome! I only use the glitter on one side. I did that with the first one and held it up and you really can't tell which side actually has the glitter on it.. sparkles just the same on both sides(at least to me it does)

I did the SAME thing with my first 2 ornaments.. I 'thought' I had finished them and then pulled them back out to add a little more color and the glitter.. MUCH prettier now

This really is an addiction isn't it?! I could make 100 of these and give them to everyone I know. I got the ornaments 1/2 price at Michaels for .40 -- got 11 circles out of the sheet of acetate--so .09 each.. beautiful gift for less than $1.00. Cool.. huh???

Have fun and have a great holiday. Thanks for the compliment :lol: about my signature!

IN HIM, Dawn <><

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2004, 05:18 PM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Default acetate size??????

Can anyone tell me the size to cut on the acetate for the glass ornimants Please :?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2004, 03:52 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Default Re: acetate size??????

Quote:

Originally Posted by hummingbird719
Can anyone tell me the size to cut on the acetate for the glass ornimants Please :?
Hi Sue,

From what I have heard here, all the ornaments are a little bit different in size so there isn't one set size for the acetate.

Here is what I did. I used a sheet of computer paper to practice on before I cut the acetate the wrong size. I 'eyed' the ornament.. actually placed it on the grid paper that you can get from SU! so see about what size it was and then I cut a circle out of the paper and slid it in the ornament to see if it was the right size. It took me a few tries, but at least I wasn't wasn't the acetate, just paper.

Hope that helps..

Merry Christmas IN HIS name, Dawn <><

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2004, 03:06 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Ok, I need help.

I'm feeling really dumb tonight. My husband had to help me figure out how to use the Coluzzle. Now I can't figure out how to color the acetate. What am I doing wrong? When I color it, it covers over the lines of the stamped image, so all I see are blobs of color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2004, 06:15 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Default Re: Ok, I need help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinteacher
I'm feeling really dumb tonight. My husband had to help me figure out how to use the Coluzzle. Now I can't figure out how to color the acetate. What am I doing wrong? When I color it, it covers over the lines of the stamped image, so all I see are blobs of color.
Hi..don't feel dumb!

What are you using to stamp the image? What are you using to color it in?This is what I did and what others here have done ( I got the directions from here),,,

Stamp the image with Staz on.. let it dry and then color on the back with fine tip sharpies. Try that and see what happens.

Let us know how it turns out..
Dawn <><

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2004, 06:41 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Where do you find the acetate? I looked at Ben Franklin but wasn't sure which department to look in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2004, 06:50 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Well, I started with regular SU black to stamp, then switched to Versamark & embossing powder, which worked ok if I didn't need to color. I wish I hadn't procrastinated, but I don't have much time to "play' during the school year. I'm still frustrated, but I decided that for right now, the suggestion to try printing photos was a good one. Now I just have to get everyone to cooperate for the pictures I'm missing.

I get my acetate from the school bookstore. They have both inkjet and write-on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2004, 08:11 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a link to a website that has a pattern for a "milk box" that perfectly fits the ornaments.

www.stampingpro.com

Go to idea sheets and then the milk box. To make the ornaments fit the score line for the bottom needs to be 2 1/2 inches.

Have fun!! I made about 10 of these in no time and stamped them super quick using the jumbo wheel.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2004, 06:39 PM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

Default Oh I love these ornaments

Thanks so much Needsmorestamps for the link to the milk box pattern -- I got it and printed it out. It'll certainly come in handy for many other projects besides these ornaments!!

A few other notes on these ornaments:

For those just starting out making these (if it's not already too late) here's a link to step-by-step instructions posted on an earlier thread:

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Scroll down the page till you get to it.

Also -- don't forget to cut a tab out at the top -- it really does keep the acetate anchored from floating (turning) around.

I purchased my acetate from Office Depot and bought the "write on" overhead sheets, and paid something like $7.75 for 60 sheets. Don't get the printer/copier sheets (which cost 3x more) unless you're definitely going to be using them in the printer/copier. The acetate is cloudy because of a special coating they put on to enable the ink from the printer/copier to grab, whereas the "write on" transparencies that are cheaper are also much, much clearer and look nicer when done.

Thanks to all for the tips!!

Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2004, 04:42 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for the tip for where to get the acetate.. I got mine from SU! and it was $2.95 for 3 sheets. I thought $1.00 a sheet was pretty good since I got 11 ornaments out of one sheet. Getting 60 sheets for $8 is awesome!

You all have a great Christmas,
Dawn <><

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2004, 05:15 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

I looked for overhead transparencies at Sam's yesterday and didn't find them, but was shocked to find page protectors so cheap! I spent $8-9 for 200 of them. I had been spending around $3 for 10 and during back-to-school sales I was excited to get 20 of them for that amount.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2004, 02:06 PM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

Default orniments

Thank You Dawn, I finally figured it out, I used the fiscars templet that had an actual orniment on it so I tried and it worked Thank goodness!
The Orniments are sooooooooo Cute I love making them...I am still going to do some for next year!
Reply With Quote Likes