Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Techniques (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/techniques-11/)
-   -   "Metal" embellishments from paper? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/techniques-11/metal-embellishments-paper-597403/)

poppydarling 03-10-2015 03:03 PM

"Metal" embellishments from paper?

Does anyone know how to make "metal" look embellishments from paper? I think I saw one tutorial that used glossy black paper and a sanding block to get the look, but I'm wondering if anyone else makes these, and has any other tips...

dini 03-10-2015 04:30 PM

What kind of embellishments are you thinking of?

You can cover chipboard with foil tape and die cut it for metallic embellishments... there are also wax-based metallic rubs that are fun to use - Inka Gold is the product that I have.

Here's a tutorial from our resources section that might give you more ideas with the foil tape:
Faux Metal Figures Tutorial - Splitcoaststampers

And another one using embossing powder:
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...ls/faux_metal/

Metalcharm 03-10-2015 05:07 PM

this card is a bit old ... but if you do a couple layers of embossing powder and run it through the with embossing folders it makes a nice effect. You could also cut out whatever shapes you wanted with dies too.

Male birthday card with totally tool by Metalcharm - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

poppydarling 03-10-2015 05:40 PM

Exactly what I was looking for — thanks ladies!

Angelnorth 03-11-2015 01:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dini (Post 20920715)
You can cover chipboard with foil tape and die cut it for metallic embellishments... there are also wax-based metallic rubs that are fun to use - Inka Gold is the product that I have.

You can put chipboard shapes under foil tape too. Aging it with a bit of black acrylic paint can give a fun look (I'll attach a sample if I can find one - it's old but will give you an idea what I'm talking about!).

Some people have had problems with Inka Gold going moldy in the pot. There are lots of equivalent products out there - I use Rub n Buff (which comes in a little tube) and lots of people seem to love Treasure Gold.

Plain old kitchen foil can be useful - stick it to cardstock for stability and you can die cut it or use it in embossing folders. Acrylic paint and alcohol inks will both stick to it if you want to do any patina or aging effects on it.

Angelnorth 03-11-2015 01:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just had another thought on aged/pitted metal and that's to use UTEE and acrylic paint. The sample I can find a pic of happens to be done on a plastic clock frame but you could easily do this on a chipboard die cut - something like a skeleton key would look fab! A single layer of UTEE (I used silver on this) will give a sort of "orange peel" texture and if you add a bit of paint and wipe back once it's almost dry it gives a cool effect.

poppydarling 03-11-2015 02:50 PM

Joanne, that looks so good! Thanks for sharing that...

stampin stacy 03-12-2015 05:30 AM

I have done the kitchen foil technique with great results, look great if you antique it by adding ink and them rubbing most back off.

Another thing I consider a must have in a stampers arsenal is a Krylon paint pen, I have both gold and silver. I have sharpie, as well as some other brands too but they just don't compare to the Krylon ones.

poppydarling 03-12-2015 09:49 AM

Joanne, look what I found, using black UTEE plus metallic embossing powder--how cool does this look? Takes the SU technique here even further (and dare I say it, gives Tim Holtz embellishments a run for their money :)

Inspirational Tips, Techniques & Tutorials: Stamping on UTEE without the melting pot

Angelnorth 03-12-2015 12:23 PM

Looks like a fun one to try out!

byingst 03-18-2015 06:51 AM

Soda Can

Here is a link using a soda can to make faux metal embellishments. Really very easy with outstanding results.
//www.splitcoaststampers.com/resources/tutorials/popstars/

poppydarling 04-13-2015 02:06 PM

Just a quick update: I bought some Stampendous embossing enamel in Aged Silver and embossed a really thick coat on some very thick SU card stock, then cut a circle shape with my Big Shot and punched a hole with my Crop-a-Dile. It looks just like a metal medallion! Really love the look of the embossing enamel — I'm definitely going to experiment with more colors!

Angelnorth 04-14-2015 11:36 PM

Sounds great - can we see?!

You might have fun playing with "embedded" embossing on something like that. Once you've got your medallion with the thick layer of enamel, swipe over with an anti-static bag and stamp with Versamark (a small word or something like a swirl is a good starting point) and sprinkle over a contrasting detail EP. Black or white would probably work well on your Aged Silver. Heat it and the new powder will melt and kind of "sink" into the existing surface.

poppydarling 04-14-2015 11:54 PM

I think I'm going to add it to a card soon, and I'll definitely post a link to it in my gallery! And I'll definitely try your idea angelnorth – thanks!

stamper1942 07-06-2015 10:50 AM

Joanne: I would love to the instructions for your card with the truck and foil on the bottom. Is it o n your blog and if so, how can I find it. Thanks.

Linda D.

Angelnorth 07-07-2015 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamper1942 (Post 21018511)
Joanne: I would love to the instructions for your card with the truck and foil on the bottom. Is it o n your blog and if so, how can I find it. Thanks.

Linda D.

Gosh, that's so long ago! But I can see what I did so here goes:

Stick chipboard letters to a strip of cardstock (you could use die cut lettering and maybe stack a couple if you want extra depth).

Smooth over a piece of aluminum tape and gently rub over the lettering area. You can refine it with a paper stump once it's pretty well smoothed down if you want to (do the whole thing slowly and gently so you don't tear the tape, you want it to kind of stretch in to place).

Wipe some black acrylic paint over the tape, leave it until it's very nearly dry (it won't take long) and then wipe off with a baby wipe or kitchen towel.

If you want to do something like the truck bit too:

Stamp image on a piece of acetate with appropriate ink (I often use Brilliance and just give it a few minutes drying time as I'm not keen on Stazon). Smear a bit of gesso or acrylic paint on the back so the image shows up well. I used washers under the acetate and pushed brads through them so the acetate layer kind of floats above the card surface.

The truck image was from CHF and is long since retired but I'm sure you could find a similar masculine image for a card along the same lines.

Hope that helps, just shout if anything needs clarification!

YorkieMoma 07-17-2015 11:07 AM

This is one of my projects from 2008 where I used like three layers of silver embossing powder, heat set and while still hot I stamped it.

http://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.spli...6263122425.jpg

http://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.spli...8304c0f94b.jpg

You can see more details in my SCS Gallery here