Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-01-2004, 08:09 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! I need the Tearing Edge Info!

I just got the Tearing Edge after reading a list of a ton of things to do with it. Can anyone help me find that list? I loved it and got the tool just to try some of them out, but now I can't find it. Help!
~Jan #6240

"If you have not often felt the joy of doing a kind act, you have neglected much and most of all yourself." A. Neilen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2004, 10:13 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Jan - I can't help ya 'cause I don't have one. But I'm "bumping" this for you in hopes that someone does.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2004, 07:58 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Jan, have you had any luck finding them? I use mine pretty basically, but I would love to see tips.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2004, 08:52 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Nope, I've had no luck.

C'mon, girls! Let's hear how you creatively use your TE's!!
~Jan #6240

"If you have not often felt the joy of doing a kind act, you have neglected much and most of all yourself." A. Neilen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2004, 09:30 AM   #5  

Hmmm. I just tear paper with it. Sorry.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 06:03 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I suppose you could also use it as a mask for a border. Lay it on your paper, sponge ink all along the ragged edge and onto the paper. Then when you lift the tearing edge you'll have a ragged inked border on your paper. But honestly, I just use it for tearing paper...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 06:11 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use mine all the time, but like the other gals, just to tear paper. Maybe it would work to ward off intruders? Or to give a really scary looking haircut? :shock:

Melissa
(Still in Asheville waiting for word that it's okay to go back to FL...)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 06:43 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Melissa, if you say my most recent haircut, that is what you'd think!! I've worn short spikey hair for about 3 years, but my last cut was baaaaddd! I'll call it the Tearing Edge cut!
~Jan #6240

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2004, 06:03 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Tearing Edge Tip Sheet

I'm always open to more ideas but here's my Tearing Edge Tip Sheet . . .

Terrific Techniques with the
Tearing Edge
By Colleen Kidder

True deckle edge paper has a soft, uncut, random edge that occurs naturally during paper making. Stampers, scrapbookers and other paper craft artists have recently begun duplicating this look. The soft, torn edge adds impact, authenticity, originality and texture to your designs.

The Tearing Edge is a tool that will help you replicate the look of a true deckle edge with speed and without stress on your fingers. It creates a natural looking torn edge with precision. The Tearing Edge works on both light-weight designer papers and heavy-weight card stocks and it is the perfect tool for many sizes of paper (even 12 x 12)! It has been embraced by the arts and crafts industry, scrapbooking and journaling enthusiasts, fine artists, framers, and calligraphers. Below you will find the basic information you will need to get you started and the fabulous technique ideas that will keep you loving your Tearing Edge for years to come!!

Removing the Tearing Edge from Plastic Safety Sleeve
You will find the plastic safety sleeve that the Tearing Edge arrives in is a very tight fit. Before trying to remove the Tearing Edge from this sleeve you need to first "release" it by doing the following:
1. Flip up outer flap and carefully insert a wooden skewer into the opening of the sleeve. Be careful as you don't want to poke through the plastic.
2. Blow into the sleeve.
3. Then carefully pull out the Tearing Edge.
When finished with your project be sure to re-insert the Tearing Edge back into this safety sleeve. If you wish you may sprinkle a bit of baby powder or corn starch in the package so it will slide out easily in the future.
** The edges are very sharp so be sure to store out of the reach of children.

Dry Edge Technique
1. Place your paper face-down on a flat surface.
2. Position the Tearing Edge 1/2" from the edge of your paper.
3. Holing the ruler down firmly, use a forceful motion and tear your paper against the sharp edge by pulling straight up.
Tip:
The best way to make a uniform torn edge (for example when I'm tearing two different layers, one atop the other for a card), I place my cardstock on a piece of Stampin' Up! Grid Paper. Since the Grids move in both directions and go the entire distance of the paper, I can line up the entire side of the Tearing Edge and always end up with a perfectly aligned torn edge. This way, I don't end up with lopsided tears.

Damp Edge Technique
For heavier papers, you may prefer the damp edge technique.
1. Lay the Tearing Edge where you want the paper to tear.
2. Run a line of water along that edge using a small paint brush or a sponge dipped in water.
3. Let it set for a few seconds to allow the moisture to penetrate the paper.
4. Then tearing by pulling up.
5. Allow paper to dry a few minutes before adhering to your project.
Tip:
To enhance this effect and control the degree of design depth, use a Brass Brush to gently brush the fibers after deckling paper edge.
Advantages of damp paper are:
• Easier tearing.
• Reveals more fibers.
• Creates a natural thinness at paper's edge

Random or Freeform Tear Technique
This creates an entirely different deckle effect. This produces a thinner, randomly deckled edge while allowing the artist a surprising degree of control.
1. Place your paper face-down on a flat surface.
2. Position Tearing Edge about 1" from the edge of your paper.
3. Tear the paper in a back and forth motion, toward the Tearing Edge, then away, allowing paper strip to hit the wavy edge of the Tearing Edge intermittently.

Mulberry or Natural Paper Techniques
1. Place your paper on a flat surface.
2. Dampen 1/2" edge of paper, using a Sponge.
3. Position Tearing Edge 1/8" to 1/4" from edge of paper.
4. Using the point of a pair of scissors, pull the damp paper away from Tearing Edge, coaxing the long fibers to extend and allowing them to remain attached to the paper. You can also get a nice edge WITHOUT first adding water to moisten. Try it both ways.

How to Deckle Custom Shapes and Window Openings
1. Position your paper face down on a flat surface.
2. Trace your design with a pencil.
3. Poke a scissors through the center of your design.
4. Cut four wedges to the edges of your outline.
5. Tear out the wedges against the edge of Tearing Edge, sliding the tool edge along the outside of the pencil line of your design shape.
6. If desired, embellish the opening with embossing.

Other Ways to Use the Tearing Edge:
• For a three dimensional effect, move the deckle edge slightly inside of where you just tore and fold the torn edge up towards the ceiling (it makes the edge sort of stand up . . . And stand out!)
• Use it to tear tags and borders that can be added to your scrapbook pages . . . You will look like a "professional" designer!
• Create a Dry Emboss Edge for your projects by running a dry embossing stylus along the edge of the Tearing Edge. This is a perfect look for the sides of scrapbook pages and a great way to "frame" pictures.
• Create journaling lines for your scrapbook pages by running the fine tip of a marker along the edge of the Tearing Edge. For a soft and subtle look use the Stampin' Up! Marker that is the same color as the paper you are using. For more contrast use a darker marker . . . Also a great look for adding fun diagonal lines.
• Don't forget your vellum! Use the Tearing Edge to add to the formal look vellum provides by creating a soft torn edge for your vellum greeting cards or wedding invitations
• Load a sponge with ink and dab or drag it along the edges to create soft, stippled color.

Keep experimenting because with the Tearing Edge, there are no limits to your creativity!

© Copyright Colleen Kidder 2004
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2004, 08:15 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks Colleen! It's just what I'm looking for!
~Jan #6240

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2007, 08:25 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for this info! I had been wondering what would interest me about this tool. Now I'll have to get one.

Laura
Reply With Quote Likes