Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-18-2006, 06:29 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gamsol Magic-OK be honest is it really...

easy? I am so challenged by where the shadows, etc are when coloring...I see that the uploads you all have done are beautiful. Please let me know if this is really going to work for me??? Please!

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=37017

Stampin' Up Sr.Supervisor
www.sodanajones.blogspot.com
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2006, 06:38 AM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It is very easy. Just color lightly and smooth it with the stump and Gamsol. Then go back and color the areas that need some shading, smooth it out again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2006, 06:43 AM   #3  
The Digi-Freak

It is very very very easy! I am stupid and I can do it!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2006, 07:34 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

It is super easy! I just bought it last weekend at the scrapbook convention and I LOVE it!!! It's the best way to get a good clean water color look. I won't need my aquapainter anymore!! This is way better!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2006, 07:35 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

My .02. If you're not already talented with shading, this particular technique isn't going to improve anything. Not saying it to be mean, just stating a fact. Because I've tried it, without spectacular results, and I'm shading challenged too.

If you're already doing watercoloring, using either reinkers, WCP or WCC, I'd work more on shading technique first. Invest in materials for another coloring method later, because as far as that goes, shading techniques are similar. I figure if I practice enough, I should be able to pull off something decent.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2006, 07:45 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it's easy, however, you do need to understand shadows and light at least a little bit. That being said, just look around you, look at all the things in your house, watch where the light hits them and where the shadows go. You'll learn a lot by just observing things.

Another trick is to take something (anything) and put it on a table, now take a light and shine it on your object. Look at the bright spots and the dark spots. Now move the light around, watch how the light spots and dark spots change. It will help

Now with the Prismacolors, the reason it helps is that you lay down a line of color along the edges of your image, you use the stump and gamsol to loosen the color and blend it to the center. You will run out of color, which automatically leaves you with a light spot. You can then go back and add more color to the edges (creating darker spots). It takes practice and is not as easy as solid color stamping, but it's SO worth it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2006, 07:49 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

Thanks everyone!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2006, 07:49 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

I'm still trying this medium out. I only have a cheap set of Crayola colored pencils and maybe that's why it's not working as well as it is for the rest of you. I find it takes a lot of the Gamsol - am I doing something wrong? At this point, watercolor pencils and my aquapainter give me the results I'm looking for - on watercolor paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2006, 08:04 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinsusie
I'm still trying this medium out. I only have a cheap set of Crayola colored pencils and maybe that's why it's not working as well as it is for the rest of you. I find it takes a lot of the Gamsol - am I doing something wrong? At this point, watercolor pencils and my aquapainter give me the results I'm looking for - on watercolor paper.
The Prisma pencils make all the difference!!! i used the crayola pencils first just because I didn't want to spend the $$ on the prismas, BUT then I realized what a huge difference there was at the scrapbook convention and bought the prismas. Use your Michaels coupon they ar sooo WORTH the $$$$!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2006, 03:55 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think it is easy! I have all the legit ingredients. Prismacolor pencils, gamsol, stumps, ultrasmooth paper, etc. However, even with these great ingredients, it still takes a good eye to get proper shadowing. I stink at this!! For those of us who really don't have an artist's eye, or even a minimally adequate eye (!), this really takes practice to get something that looks even close to Debbie Gimbel's work!!

I'm not discouraging anyone as this is an awesome way to color in lined images, but it isn't sit down and immediately come up with a perfect image. This is no different than other techniques -- practice, skill etc. really helps!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2006, 04:06 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

You can do it!!!! I didn't think I could do it, but I just attempted it for the first time last week and I was really happy with the results. I'm always amazed by how people color and shade and I didn't think I would ever be able to do it, but with the Gamsol and pencils it really is possible! Good luck!!

Member #32310
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2006, 05:10 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Don't ever be afraid to try a new technique. You can do it! You know the old saying "Practice makes perfect." After all, since it your artwork you can always say, "I meant to do that." (At least tht is what I do.) LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2006, 05:13 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamp Maniac II
easy? I am so challenged by where the shadows, etc are when coloring...I see that the uploads you all have done are beautiful. Please let me know if this is really going to work for me??? Please!
If you start out with a stamped image that already has shading (like Stipple Rose)... not one that is just lines like a coloring book image... you will have far better luck for your first try. Using this type of stamp helped me considerably at first... plus practice... practice... practice.

Even if you are like me, and it doesn't turn out as well as some of the wonderful art on here, it is fun to try... and it is very relaxing. The important thing is to have FUN at whatever you do. Don't worry about whether it will 'work' for you or not.... just think about having fun. Who knows, if you make a "boo boo"... it might turn out to be a brand new technique that you can share with others

Have a FUNtastic day!

Dancing Rain

Proud to be a Stampin' Up! Demo... and a "Rubber Mutt"

~*~
Click here to Visit My Gallery
HeartPrints Welcome
A

Avatar: Photo taken Dec. 2006 at Wildlife Safari - Winston, OR
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2006, 08:59 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Try this link to my step by step instructions. I use odorless mineral spirits but it's the same exact steps. This should help you see it clearly:
http://www.ashadeofblue.net/gallery/...e.php?pos=-565

If you have trouble with the link, let me know.

Gina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2006, 10:02 PM   #15  
Glitter Guru

I started out like LauraKJ mentioned - just outlining the image and pulling the color towards the center. There is a tutorial at InkyAntics.com that really helps explain this. After a few tries, especially with bigger images, I tried adding more color, but lost the shading effect. Then the tutorial from PrincessInk came along, and that helped alot. I learned that you can still add color after you blend, and then reblend that color. The stamps help you know where to do this sometimes. If you're coloring clothing, for example, you add darker color where the clothing might have a crease.
Anyway, I guess my point is that it can be easy if you know where to look to get the right kind of help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2006, 10:04 PM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Easy, Easy, Easy. If you have a problem with the initial start up cost, see if you can find a friend who is already has some of the supplies so you can see if you like it before you purchase everything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2006, 10:23 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I have had trouble with blending my prisma colors. I am also a newbie. The instructions always seem so easy. What I have found so far, is that small areas worked okay, but not larger areas. When I look at samples in the gallery, or at Cecillia's instructions there are area's of color quite a bit larger than what I have been able to manage.
Am I supposed to color in a wider area with the pencil *before* blending? So many of the instructions - like Gina's in post #14 - say to put down a "line" of color. I get the feeling that the line needs to be a *lot* wider in some images than in others.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2006, 10:32 PM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetJ
I have had trouble with blending my prisma colors. I am also a newbie. The instructions always seem so easy. What I have found so far, is that small areas worked okay, but not larger areas. When I look at samples in the gallery, or at Cecillia's instructions there are area's of color quite a bit larger than what I have been able to manage.
Am I supposed to color in a wider area with the pencil *before* blending? So many of the instructions - like Gina's in post #14 - say to put down a "line" of color. I get the feeling that the line needs to be a *lot* wider in some images than in others.
Sometimes I do a slightly larger 'line' and if that doesn't do it, I really lightly add a little bit of the color in with tiney, tiney lines and then blend. I did this on the sky area of this card..... Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
I just did a large line for this one.
Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
You can always go back and add more color and pull it with the stump. Always start with the smallest amount of color that you can. Harder to take away than add!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2006, 11:20 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

I think that the technique is pretty easy really. For me using the mineral spirits keeps me from coloring every single part of the image. I'm prone to doing that and it makes it look flat. With that said I love to look at what people here do and then I sit by a computer and imitate what I'm seeing. It's helped me to learn a lot about where to place color and where to leave it out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2006, 02:23 AM   #20  
Glitter Guru

Gina,
Thank you for the excellent pictorial directions - I'm more of a visual learner so this was very, very helpful. One question. What kind of paper did you use for the this?
Quote:

Originally Posted by tgkrupsky
Try this link to my step by step instructions. I use odorless mineral spirits but it's the same exact steps. This should help you see it clearly:

Gina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2006, 03:19 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

GREAT tutorial. TFS!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tgkrupsky

Gina

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2006, 04:25 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverDragoness
I think that the technique is pretty easy really. For me using the mineral spirits keeps me from coloring every single part of the image. I'm prone to doing that and it makes it look flat. With that said I love to look at what people here do and then I sit by a computer and imitate what I'm seeing. It's helped me to learn a lot about where to place color and where to leave it out.
Great idea...that would help!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2006, 05:04 AM   #23  
Glitter Guru

I LOVE this technique...I am so coloring dyslexic that I was shocked when I tried it and the coloring came out beautifully. For me personally, it has taken just a bit or practice to get it right...but I tend to be picky about things like that and if they don't look right to me, I do it until it does look right.
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2006, 06:07 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 34 Likes on 7 Posts

I love this technique. Here are some of the things I do that I hope will help you. 1. study your stamp image it already has the shadows marked on it. 2. Don't try to colour all at once. First do a light on bottom, then a med in the shadow areas and then dark at the very edge of the shadow. 3. Don't use too much glamsol. If it is coming through the back of the paper... that's too much. 4. Don't try to colour all the area. Just a hint around the edges blended to the centre suggest the whole thing is coloured. The white part left suggestes light reflection. 5. Shadows should only be where items (ie leaves, petals etc.) either touch eachother or cross over eachother. (old folk art trick). hope this helps a little.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2006, 08:53 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Rescuing one dog may not change the world, but for that one dog, the world will be changed forever
Default Question, I bought a product called

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamp Maniac II
Daler-Rownbey Low Odour thinner for oil colors, will this work like Gamsol as I could not find it in my area? I also cannot find the stumps. I know I want one made in Tiawan not china and even onlinethe Tiawan made ones are sold out so I await a "stump". Anyone have extra stumps to trade or share with me?
Also should I use waterocolorpaper for best results?'
Can I use this product in place of Gamsol to try this technique does anyone know? Please feel free to PM or email me. Thank you very much! Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2006, 09:31 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Another attempt

So last night after reading all the messages here, I made another attempt with my prismacolors. Girl on Swing
I am still seeing too many little pencil lines where the color did not "move." Maybe I just need more practice as the other posts have said.
On another thread there was some discussion about whether the Gamsol brand or the Mona Lisa brand of mineral spirits were of equal quality. I would love to blame my inconsistent results on the products and not on my lack of experience and skill. But since that may not be the case, I'm using the products I have available until I can find "the real thing".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2006, 11:20 AM   #27  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Received 128 Likes on 114 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by emsmomthestamper
Daler-Rownbey Low Odour thinner for oil colors, will this work like Gamsol as I could not find it in my area? I also cannot find the stumps. I know I want one made in Tiawan not china and even onlinethe Tiawan made ones are sold out so I await a "stump". Anyone have extra stumps to trade or share with me?
Also should I use waterocolorpaper for best results?'
Can I use this product in place of Gamsol to try this technique does anyone know? Please feel free to PM or email me. Thank you very much! Kim
I'm not familiar with that thinner. If the bottle says "100% odorless mineral spirits", it should work. Gamsol is just a particular brand name for 100% odorless mineral spirits.

*Do not* use watercolor paper. Paper with a smooth finish works best.

As far as the stumps go, I haven't noticed any difference between my stumps from China and my stumps from Taiwan. However, IMO the pressed paper stumps work far better than the rolled paper stumps.

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2006, 11:42 AM   #28  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetJ
So last night after reading all the messages here, I made another attempt with my prismacolors. Girl on Swing
I am still seeing too many little pencil lines where the color did not "move." Maybe I just need more practice as the other posts have said.
On another thread there was some discussion about whether the Gamsol brand or the Mona Lisa brand of mineral spirits were of equal quality. I would love to blame my inconsistent results on the products and not on my lack of experience and skill. But since that may not be the case, I'm using the products I have available until I can find "the real thing".
One thing you might want to remember is that your image doesn't have to have the color everywhere. By that I mean.......the sky doesn't have to be completely blue. The dress doesn't have to be completely pink. If you put your color on the outside edges and the folds and pull it in, you will create some light and depth. On this card I didn't have the whole sky or grass colored at all. If you wanted more color than this, just add.

I don't think your image shows that many lines BTW!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2006, 06:26 PM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinsusie
Gina,
Thank you for the excellent pictorial directions - I'm more of a visual learner so this was very, very helpful. One question. What kind of paper did you use for the this?
Ooh, sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. I used regular US white card stock by Stampin' Up. Any good quality white card stock will do it but it should be smoothe, not textured. It's an addicting technique! Have fun!
Gina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2006, 06:28 PM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinvicki
GREAT tutorial. TFS!!
Thanks so much! I'm glad you liked it.
Gina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2006, 09:18 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamps&cars
One thing you might want to remember is that your image doesn't have to have the color everywhere. By that I mean.......the sky doesn't have to be completely blue. The dress doesn't have to be completely pink. If you put your color on the outside edges and the folds and pull it in, you will create some light and depth. On this card I didn't have the whole sky or grass colored at all. If you wanted more color than this, just add.

I don't think your image shows that many lines BTW!
Thank you SO MUCH for all your help! I'm still practicing..............
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2006, 09:33 PM   #32  
Mad Swapper

Got my Gamsol today and tried it and love it, but I don't see much difference between this and the technique where you pick up ink from a pad or a scribble on a plastic lid with a Dove Blender and color with that. Basically the same technique although I DO like that you can get pretty intense color very quickly this way! I am overall pleased with it and my black Brilliance doesn't run a bit so I don't have to buy Stazon after all and make my stamps nasty!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 03:23 AM   #33  
Glitter Guru

Here's an attempt I made yesterday BEFORE I read the post about not using watercolor paper. This was done on watercolor paper. I'm still working on visualizing the light source to give depth to images. The scanner washed out the floral background on this - IRL it is true Lovely Lilac. Not ready to give up yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2006, 05:17 PM   #34  
First To Quack

I inherted some VeriThin prismas from my college graduate son... will they work as well as the regular kind?

Cards from the Cabana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 02:49 AM   #35  
Hardware Hotshot

I almost look like a pro when I use this technique!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 03:06 AM   #36  
Gabfest Goddess

I'd recommend this technique to anyone! I absolutely hated coloring before I got my Prismacolors! Now it's my favorite thing to do, along with cutting! I look back now on cards I thought were pretty good and can't believe the differrence compared to what I do now!

I never would have believed that I could achieve a look like this:

Or this:

Try it....you'll like it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 03:23 AM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

Ok, all of you have shown some great examples of this and explaining how but can you tell me where to get the Gamsol and stump? Does Michael's carry them?

I bought my Prisma colored pencils there and I love the smooth way they color so I'm totally sold on those. Also, does anyone use their watercolor pencils or do you just use the colored pencils with the Gamsol?

"The value of persistent prayer is not that he will hear us...but that we will finally hear him." William McGill
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 04:08 AM   #38  
Stampin' Fool

[quote=GarnetJ]So last night after reading all the messages here, I made another attempt with my prismacolors. Girl on Swing
I was wondering how you hold your pencil while you are coloring. If you hold it upright as you do while you write I think you have more tendency to make "lines". You might try holding your pencil under your hand (this is hard to describe)so the color or "lead" is at a sharp angle and your index finger is pointing down towards the paper. This will make a band of color on your paper in stead of a sharp line. Does this make sense??
Karen

Looky Looky
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 04:12 AM   #39  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyderrogers
I bought my Prisma colored pencils there and I love the smooth way they color so I'm totally sold on those. Also, does anyone use their watercolor pencils or do you just use the colored pencils with the Gamsol?
I've not tried the gamsol and pencils, but I do have high-quality watercolor pencils and love them. I use them the same way people describe using the regular pencils and gamsol, just with an aquapainter and water instead of a stump and gamsol. Looks lovely, but I think it may be harder to get the color intensity some people get with the pencil/gamsol technique.

My mom's advice: don't get cheap pencils of any kind--they just don't work well at alll. (Mom's a fine artist--does watercolor paintings, pastel portraits, oil painting, etc. So she knows much better than I do!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 06:02 AM   #40  
Splitcoast DirtyDozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

[QUOTE=hyderrogers]Ok, all of you have shown some great examples of this and explaining how but can you tell me where to get the Gamsol and stump? Does Michael's carry them?

QUOTE]

I couldn't find the Gamsol or the stumps at Michael's, but I did find the Gamsol at an art supply store. I got my stumps at AC Moore.

Reply With Quote Likes