Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-22-2008, 02:27 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to annamhudson
Question Embossing on Fabric??

Has anyone tried embossing on fabric like you would on paper??? And would you use fabric stamp ink and then embossing powder? And if it is possible I am assuming you can never iron it afterwards unless you want a mess:twisted:

Any help would be awesome!! I have some stamps that I would love to make into fabric ATC's!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2008, 04:35 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

I just did this last week. I used Versamark and clear EP on white fabric. Was hoping to achieve a batik effect after I added washes of paints. Didn't quite work as I was hoping, but the embossing definitely worked. Sorry, can't direct you to my gallery because I haven't started one yet, but it is up on my blog.

Be careful of your fabric. Depending on the blend some of them could melt a bit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2008, 09:14 AM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

I was planning on using cotton so it should be fine!! I will post once I do it to let everyone know how it goes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2008, 06:20 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by annamhudsonView Post
Has anyone tried embossing on fabric like you would on paper??? And would you use fabric stamp ink and then embossing powder? And if it is possible I am assuming you can never iron it afterwards unless you want a mess:twisted:

Any help would be awesome!! I have some stamps that I would love to make into fabric ATC's!!
Waaaay back when...before permanent fabric inks were available, we had two choices if we wanted to stamp on fabric...fabric paint or thermal embossing images that had been stamped with pigment ink.

Since stamping on fabric has ALWAYS been my delight, I went with fabric paint. Faster, easier, and most importantly, permanent.

The old method of thermal embossing images on fabric...stamp with a pigment ink, sprinkle EP over the image, shake off as much as possible (almost impossible to get rid of all of it...EP loves to stick to fabric), melt the EP with a heat gun, allow to cool. The embossed image was then ironed (a Teflon Pressing Sheet over the image protected the iron)...the ironing melted the EP into the fabric. Identical to the Faux Batik method used on paper.

I wrote a book on stamping, and the longest chapter was on stamping on fabric. I did not include the EP method. I feel it's limited to fabric that will not be laundered and used only for decorative purposes.

I haven't tested any of the permanent inks with EP on fabric, so I can't comment. However, laundering would still be a problem...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2008, 08:43 AM   #5  
Cardstock Collector

how did you use the fabric paint on your stamps?? And i was planning on using the embossing on fabric stamps for ATC so so laundering there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2008, 10:00 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by annamhudsonView Post
how did you use the fabric paint on your stamps?? And i was planning on using the embossing on fabric stamps for ATC so so laundering there!
The fabric must be washed, dried and pressed smooth; do not use any type of softener (wash or dry cycle).

Press freezer paper to the wrong side of the fabric (shiny side of paper against fabric). The paper will act as a shirt board (preventing paint from leaking though) and also stabilizes the fabric when stamping and/or coloring. Do not remove the paper until all heat setting is complete.

Place a dampened kitchen sponge on the counter. Pour a small (quarter size or so) amount of paint on a non-stick surface (shiny side of freezer paper, cooking parchment paper, acetate sheet, plastic plate, glass plate, etc.). Roll a rubber brayer through the paint until the paint is in a thin, even layer on the brayer.

Place the stamp, die up, on a counter. Roll the 'inked' brayer over the stamp, making sure all areas of the die are 'inked.' Stamp on the fabric.

Roll the brayer over the damp sponge to remove paint. Set aside. Turn the spong over and place the 'inked' stamp, die down, on the damp sponge. Clean the stamp when all stamping is complete. As long as the paint is kept damp, it will not dry on the stamp.

When the image is dry, heat set the paint with either a heat gun or iron (both sides of the fabric should feel warm to the touch) . If using an iron, place a piece of cooking parchment paper or a Teflon Pressing Sheet over the stamp area to protect the surface of the iron. Allow to cool. If the image will not be colored, remove the freezer paper.

If coloring the image is desired, color either with permanent reinkers and a brush or textile fabric markes (either the ink or markers must be labeled suitable for fabric that will be laundered). Allow to dry; heat set (read above paragraph). Remove the freezer paper.

Any type of stamp can be used...clear, foam, rubber, in either bold or intricate designs. Don't, don't, don't pat the paint on the stamp with a foam brush...unless you want smeared and gloppy images. That patting technique is an absolutely lousy method for applying paint to a stamp. Another option is to apply paint evenly to a foam pad. After stamping, either rinse all paint from the pad or placed the paint pad in a zipped bag in the fridge. Depending upon the brand of paint, the pad will remain moist up to one week.

Generally it's best to turn garments inside out when laundering; some paints must be air-dried or dried in a cool dryer (read the label). Do not use citrus-based detergents for laundering; do not use glitter paint for stamping (OK to use for coloring images and accents); do not launder for one week (two weeks if glitter paint was used).

Although acrylic craft paints blended with a textile medium can be used, I do not recommend this method. There are several reasonably priced fabric paints on the market that are specifically formulated for fabric...you'll be happier with the long term results when these paints are used.

If paint did dry on either the brayer or stamp, KissOff will remove it (trust me, it does!). Dampen the brayer or stamp; rub a heavy layer of KO over the surface; allow to sit over night. Dampen a cheapo battery toothbrush ($5.00 cariety from the Dollar Store); scrub the surfaces until paint is removed. Rinse the brayer or stamp clean and allow to dry. In a few cases, a second application of KO will be required.

Under no circumstances will a regular pigment-based ink hold up to laundering...these inks do not contain the binder necessary to ensure permanancy on laundered fabrics. There are many inks suitable for laundered fabrics; my favorites are from Clearsnap (Ancient Page, Crafters, Fuild Chalk).

Have fun!

Last edited by craftdesigns; 06-27-2008 at 10:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2008, 05:13 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you for these instructions
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2008, 03:12 PM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

Nancy... thankyou, this is just what i've been wanting to know... now just need to knwo the aussie equivelant of kiss off for just in case circumstances!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2008, 03:53 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by LauzView Post
Nancy... thankyou, this is just what i've been wanting to know... now just need to knwo the aussie equivelant of kiss off for just in case circumstances!
The KissOff site (www.kissoff.com) has a 'Where To Buy' button, and I noticed Pearl has international orders. An e-mail to KO might provide more sources for you.

Don't know what Aussie product would work in the same way. I've used only KO to clean my stamps since I started stamping (about 15 years ago); love the stuff. No smell, non-toxic, always works, and it's reasonably priced. I admit I don't use solvent-based inks, but I'm guessing the stuff would work with them too.

Lots of luck!

Last edited by craftdesigns; 06-29-2008 at 03:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2008, 02:42 PM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

Chack out this blog for an inspiring example of stamping on silk scarves. I was thinking about getting this set before it retired and now I will for sure.

http://www.learntostampandscrap.com/...ric/index
Reply With Quote Likes