Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-09-2005, 10:35 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Melted Crayon question?

I tried doing this yesterday it was kind of fun but I wasn't sure if I was doing it right or not. When I would color on the foil the crayons would get real water like, not like melted wax. I used Crayola crayons mostly some were Rose Art. I didn't have the use steam on my iron I had it set like on 3 - 4, I don't know if that was to hot. Also when I went to the gallery to see what some of the cards looked like that used the tequinque mine didn't really look like that.

Any helpful suggestions?

p.s. I found out that oil pastels don't work for this either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2005, 11:07 AM   #2  
8 Cow Woman

I've done a lot of melted crayon!!!

First off---only ever use Crayola, the others just don't have enough pigment or something, and they end up washed out looking.

My iron has 6 heat settings--I turn it up to 6 to get it hot fast (I'm impatient!!), then I turn it down to about 3. You don't need it any higher than that.

There are a couple of ways you can actually do this technique:

1) Scribble many colors of crayon on the tin foil on the iron at one time, then iron on the cs. This gives a mixed look--it can get muddy really easily though.

2)Scribble one color at a time on the iron, then iron it onto the cs. Repeat with next color, etc. until all of your colors are done. I like this way better--you get more vivid colors, and can see the differences in them better. Feel free to iron over a color that is already there.

HTH,
Jen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2005, 11:19 AM   #3  
Inking Addict

Oh, one more thing do you move the iron around on the paper or keep it in one place kind of.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2005, 02:10 PM   #4  
Inking Addict

Do you move the iron around like you would if you were ironing something I know the directions say to move the card stock over the iron but it's a little to hot to handle for me. How much do you move the iron. When I colored on the foil & paper mine didn't look anything like what the ones did in the gallery it was more blended. I moved the iron around like I was ironing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2005, 04:36 PM   #5  
8 Cow Woman

I move the iron around in kind of 'swooping' patterns--it makes fun swirls on the cs. Also, I iron onto the cs--I just cover the ironing board with a bunch of scrap paper, or some of the brown packing paper that comes in the SU boxes. Switch your scrap paper every card or 2, otherwise the iron will start picking up the crayon from that!!!

Or you can just put the iron down and lift it up again--it leaves a kind of 'speckled' look.

If you have any more questions, you can PM me! (click on my name, and a list will come up, just click on Private Message!)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes