Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-10-2011, 07:55 PM   #5601  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I had my first show this past Saturday the 8th. First time I did a show in October.
After deducting my table fee of $40.00 I made a profit of $31.50. My best seller was my skinny notebooks w/pens...sold 5 to one lady at $4 each.
Not the greatest show but I had no idea what would happen so early in the season. next show is scheduled for November 12th...hopefully I will do much better.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2011, 07:33 AM   #5602  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapsyView Post
I just posted some more items to my blog, loving all the ideas, please keep them coming ladies!!

scrapsy
Your items are beautiful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2011, 07:34 AM   #5603  
Kookie Creator

I recently saw a small plastic jar with a pin cushion top for sale at Wal-Mart for $7. It was very plain; no embellishments on it with maybe 100 ball head pins in it. Ann, your pin cushion jars were a bazillion times better!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2011, 07:36 AM   #5604  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ditto!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cathy HView Post
Scrapsy, I hope you won't take this the wrong way. . . . but I'm glad you aren't going to be at the same sales I will be at!! LOVE your stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2011, 11:25 AM   #5605  
Compulsive Stamper

Thank you so much, I can't take any of the credit as I've cased most of my ideas from here!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #5606  
Compulsive Stamper

The birthday box is just basically an exploding box in a smaller size, the size is 2 1/4in x 2 1/4in, so I started off with a big square of card stock and cut out the corners, I just then layered matching colours on the sides and corner rounded the edges. The top was made in a similar way, I just didn't cut the corders off and glued them in.

I'm sorry this is not very clear, but I hope you can work it out!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2011, 01:22 PM   #5607  
Pearl-ExPert

Just wanted to give all the craft vendors here a heads up:
I did a show this past Saturday and after deducting the $40 table fee I had a profit of 31.50.
Someone passed me a counterfeit $20 bill so now my huge profit is a whopping 11.50.
BE CAREFUL when accepting any/all bills.

Bank said they are seeing more counterfeit 20's lately. I'm not saying someone deliberately was out at the show passing counterfeit 20's...they may not have known themselves. Just wanted to give a warning.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #5608  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So sorry.

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2011, 03:11 PM   #5609  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by NancyL2648View Post
I did a show this past Saturday and after deducting the $40 table fee I had a profit of 31.50.
Someone passed me a counterfeit $20 bill so now my huge profit is a whopping 11.50.

Bank said they are seeing more counterfeit 20's lately. I'm not saying someone deliberately was out at the show passing counterfeit 20's...they may not have known themselves. Just wanted to give a warning.
That's a bummer, Nancy. It's amazing how realistic the counterfeits are.
I noticed that the Dollar Tree sells the pens that spot counterfiets, but as a former bank employee, I can tell you that there are ways of getting around that, too. Small investment that may save someone else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #5610  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

So sorry, Nancy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #5611  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by tat2girlView Post
That's a bummer, Nancy. It's amazing how realistic the counterfeits are.
I noticed that the Dollar Tree sells the pens that spot counterfiets, but as a former bank employee, I can tell you that there are ways of getting around that, too. Small investment that may save someone else.
Yes the bank manager did say the pens don't always catch counterfeit bills today and showed me a few things to watch out for....but I will be picking up the pen anyway.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2011, 08:19 PM   #5612  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Yes the bank manager did say the pens don't always catch counterfeit bills today and showed me a few things to watch out for....but I will be picking up the pen anyway.
Nancy, do you want to share these tips?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2011, 06:56 AM   #5613  
Pearl-ExPert

Now one needs to worry about counterfeit money at a craft sale too?!! This is a crazy world. I hesitate to take checks even, but I generally do, as long as there is a info on the check to track the person down (assuming its that person!). But I guess one can never be too careful.

My first craft sale is the 22nd and then one a week for the following two weeks. I'm exhausted and hanging on by a thread!!! Still have to do some coasters and trivets (bigger tiles) and notebooks. Then I think I'm kind of done. Unless something else gets posted that is adorable!

MY GALLERY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2011, 11:14 AM   #5614  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAmomof2View Post
Nancy, do you want to share these tips?
Money tips: you can use the pen, hold the bill up so you can see the strip embedded in the bill, feel the presidents jacket...it should not be smooth. (my bill was smooth). You should feel ridges in the jacket. Nothing should be blurry on the edges. He said counterfeiters pay more attention to the front of the bill...that is what most people look at and would be noticed more.

Hope this helps. And it is pretty sad that we have to watch out for counterfeit bills at craft shows...but it is definitely a different world we live in nowadays.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2011, 08:36 PM   #5615  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Money tips: you can use the pen, hold the bill up so you can see the strip embedded in the bill, feel the presidents jacket...it should not be smooth. (my bill was smooth). You should feel ridges in the jacket. Nothing should be blurry on the edges. He said counterfeiters pay more attention to the front of the bill...that is what most people look at and would be noticed more.

Hope this helps. And it is pretty sad that we have to watch out for counterfeit bills at craft shows...but it is definitely a different world we live in nowadays.
Also make sure that the right president is on the bill. We had some bills come through the bank with Abraham Lincoln ($5 bill) made to look like it was a $50 bill. The merchant never caught it.
Here's a good link to read through. United States Secret Service: Know Your Money - Counterfeit Awareness
HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2011, 12:14 PM   #5616  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by loribelle3View Post
I Love your clothespin magnets too! They are adorable. I have 2 bags of clothespins, just waiting for me to decorate. I didn't get to them before my last show. I also ordered magnets from the same place on ebay. I actually had ordered them for the tile magnets I made, but I ordered a size way to small. Luckily, they will be the perfect size for these clothespins!
I see where you get your magnets... but which size do you get? I know this post if from long ago. But I hope you may remember.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2011, 07:27 PM   #5617  
Insane Embellisher

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

This is very true!! I worked at a bank and have seen my share of counterfeit bills! You'd be surprised how many merchants that sent deposits in without catching the bad bills!!! I actually seen a counterfeit bill that was kind of purple in color. I don't know how someone could have missed that.
Another thing to look for....money is actually printed on a type of fabric. If you look at the background you should see little specks of fibers in colors.(red, blue) and you should see the strip. The only way to get the strip out is to destroy the bill.
Unfortunatley the pen has also worked on REAL currency in the past. So just be careful!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2011, 08:28 PM   #5618  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm going to be a vendor at a local craft fair on Nov 12, and am starting to get a little overwhelmed with all the "stuff"! lol Get business cards, bags, figure out setup props, etc...find ideas to make & sell, purchase needed supplies, etc....

I am sure I'll be here from time to time with questions. ;-)

First one - the "test tubes" that people fill with things (like reindeer food)...are they plastic or glass?

Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #5619  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by happy2stamp4everView Post
I'm going to be a vendor at a local craft fair on Nov 12, and am starting to get a little overwhelmed with all the "stuff"! lol Get business cards, bags, figure out setup props, etc...find ideas to make & sell, purchase needed supplies, etc....

I am sure I'll be here from time to time with questions. ;-)

First one - the "test tubes" that people fill with things (like reindeer food)...are they plastic or glass?

Thanks so much!!
Crystal,

I got plastic ones. You can get glass ones, but I can just see my kids dropping it and glass everywhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2011, 04:16 PM   #5620  
Rubber Obsessor

Question do I or don't I???

I am just using this forum to jot down my thoughts but still would appreciate your input. maybe jotting it down will clear it up in my head.
I have the opportunity to participate in a regular weekly market held within our main shopping town (outdoors). I certainly don't want to do it weekly. Even fortnightly I am wondering if
1/. Is it worth it - both financially and the time it takes 7am set up and 3 pm pack up - I am anemic and a whole day out will tire me. Adrenaline will keep me going on the day but the next 2 days will most likely see me walking dazedly around the house! The stall cost $50 per day.
2/. Time commitment to stick it out until clients know I become a regular stall holder. I spoke to another crafts person who has been doing it there for 7 years. I gather if she is willing to come for that long, then it must be worth it in the long run. (She sells children's clothing etc that she makes.)
I went and had a good look around the stalls yesterday. I only saw 3 handcrafts stalls though a craft supply shop nearby told me that there is usually more craft stalls there... maybe they are on their 'off week'?
One advantage is that my daughter has half days on alternate Fridays and has offered to come and give me hand or a break from the stall for a couple of hours around lunch times.
Do I really want the time commitment it will involve... not just the days, but also will it make enough profit long term to make the effort worth it all? I would be selling cards and my explosion boxes. Cards are generally $3.50-$5 each and boxes from $15 - $25 each. Thought there is nothing to compare my boxes to locally, cards abound everywhere including 2 of the bargain shops, which are just opposite the stall areas.
There is a craft market held monthly only about 10km away from here on a different day but it is in a bad location as far as it is not in a shopping area or where people pass by and you can't see it from the road so though it is well sign posted, I feel it is not attracting enough clients. If they were to move to a better location, I would join them in a flash!
So what do you think? Should I make the effort???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2011, 04:21 PM   #5621  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by D1NonlyAnnmarieView Post
..... No way will I have a table full of inventory but if I dont show they wont invite me back next year. So needless to say.... this weekend will not be a lounge around relaxing type of a weekend. .... Thank you, thank you.
Do you have any friends that would be happy to ahve some of their stuff on the stall with yours... a full table is always more inviting than a half empty one!
Good luck on the day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2011, 04:29 PM   #5622  
Rubber Obsessor

I say do one day and then go from there. If you don't do well, then you know it's not for you. The first show is always the hardest though. You figure out what sells well and what doesn't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by madmichelleView Post
I am just using this forum to jot down my thoughts but still would appreciate your input. maybe jotting it down will clear it up in my head.
I have the opportunity to participate in a regular weekly market held within our main shopping town (outdoors). I certainly don't want to do it weekly. Even fortnightly I am wondering if
1/. Is it worth it - both financially and the time it takes 7am set up and 3 pm pack up - I am anemic and a whole day out will tire me. Adrenaline will keep me going on the day but the next 2 days will most likely see me walking dazedly around the house! The stall cost $50 per day.
2/. Time commitment to stick it out until clients know I become a regular stall holder. I spoke to another crafts person who has been doing it there for 7 years. I gather if she is willing to come for that long, then it must be worth it in the long run. (She sells children's clothing etc that she makes.)
I went and had a good look around the stalls yesterday. I only saw 3 handcrafts stalls though a craft supply shop nearby told me that there is usually more craft stalls there... maybe they are on their 'off week'?
One advantage is that my daughter has half days on alternate Fridays and has offered to come and give me hand or a break from the stall for a couple of hours around lunch times.
Do I really want the time commitment it will involve... not just the days, but also will it make enough profit long term to make the effort worth it all? I would be selling cards and my explosion boxes. Cards are generally $3.50-$5 each and boxes from $15 - $25 each. Thought there is nothing to compare my boxes to locally, cards abound everywhere including 2 of the bargain shops, which are just opposite the stall areas.
There is a craft market held monthly only about 10km away from here on a different day but it is in a bad location as far as it is not in a shopping area or where people pass by and you can't see it from the road so though it is well sign posted, I feel it is not attracting enough clients. If they were to move to a better location, I would join them in a flash!
So what do you think? Should I make the effort???

Altered by Jenn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2011, 06:13 PM   #5623  
Stampin' Fool

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a question for all of you seasoned craft fair participants.

How many of each item do you normally make to take with you to your events?

I am doing my first craft bazaar tomorrow morning ... YES! I'm scared to DEATH! LOL. It is only 5 hours. I have made about 6 or 7 different things, and 12 to 24 of each of those. I made more of the easier, faster projects. It fills an 8 ft table fairly well, kinda all spread out, in groups, of course. Someday, I want everything in baskets, but that's down the road a ways. I am signed up for 3 craft fairs in the next 6 weeks. At times, I think I've jumped in too deep to start out, but ... oh well.

I've posted this also on the other craft fair thread, so you don't need to post to each thread if you don't want to.

So, how many of each item should I make as a 'minimum' to start out with??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2011, 08:39 AM   #5624  
AOK
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsOceanView Post

I am doing my first craft bazaar tomorrow morning ... YES! I'm scared to DEATH! LOL. It is only 5 hours. I have made about 6 or 7 different things, and 12 to 24 of each of those. I made more of the easier, faster projects. It fills an 8 ft table fairly well, kinda all spread out, in groups, of course. Someday, I want everything in baskets, but that's down the road a ways. I am signed up for 3 craft fairs in the next 6 weeks. At times, I think I've jumped in too deep to start out, but ... oh well.

I've posted this also on the other craft fair thread, so you don't need to post to each thread if you don't want to.

Hi Paula, I would just enjoy the day. Whatever you have made now will do. See what sells best and see how much profit each item generates this year. I think each year is different and fairs vary depending on the time of year.
Best of luck and Have FUN.

My Blog :http://aokspaperstuff.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2011, 08:40 AM   #5625  
AOK
Rubber Obsessor

I see you ladies have been very busy with lots of ideas and fairs starting while I have been taking things easy on holidays. :cool:
Now I have so much to catch up on.:(
While on holidays I came across a lovely fabric wreath on sale in a cute little shop in Mykonos in Greece. I made something similar though with a different method. While it is not paper or stamping it could make a cute craft fair item and perhaps generate a few more dollars. It cost very little to make too. I've just uploaded photos on my blog.
Looking forward to catching up on the past few pages this thread.

My Blog :http://aokspaperstuff.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #5626  
Rubber Obsessor

Michelle, this is not to discourage, but here are my thoughts. There is a 3 day show I want to do. My father said "you sure have to sell a lot of cards to make back the booth fee." At that time, all I was selling at my booth is cards. He's right. Plus, if someone isn't into cards (gasp! the horror! Not that I know any of these people) then they won't even care to shop my booth.

So with just explosion boxes and cards, I don't think it's a good idea to spend $50 on a booth on a regular basis. Add a variety of products and then it probably would be worth the time and effort.

I recently did my first craft show w/additional products besides cards. I sold $160 in products, $8 of which was on cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2011, 01:37 PM   #5627  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I only sold about 3 cards at my first sale - and it was a "pity" sale - I bought something from the gal next to me and she bought 3 cards from me. It was more of an exchange. Since then I no longer make cards specifically to sell except for Christmas cards. Unless I know I can use them myself if they are left over. It's always interesting to me to see what sells and what doesn't. I think during the holidays that stocking stuffer items and candy goes over the best. At least that is what worked best for me last year. This year it's anyone's guess. Best of luck.

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2011, 02:49 PM   #5628  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsOceanView Post

I saw your post too late to wish you luck. Paula, how did you do?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2011, 05:08 PM   #5629  
Stampin' Fool

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I posted my results from my 1st craft fair here:Forums at Splitcoaststampers Post # 2950.

Over all, not too bad for my first craft fair, I think. I took in all the moments and chalked it up to 'experience' under my belt. After all was said and done, I made $68 after expenses. And I signed up for another craft fair!

Paula
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #5630  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default What to do about multiple angel policies

I hope this is an appropriate thread to pose this question. Since dropping my SU demonstratorship, I've been making tons of paper crafts mixing different products and companies. I would like to make items for sale, but am wondering how to give credit according to angel policies if I use images/products from more than one company. Have any of you already addressed this? My 1 idea was removable labels on the packaging or product. What else are you doing?

As my best friend says, "Stamping....it's cheaper than therapy" to which I add, "Not by much".

My mom was the proud recipient of my first handmade card. Cost $200.

~My Gallery~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2011, 03:50 AM   #5631  
Insane Embellisher

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cathy HView Post
I only sold about 3 cards at my first sale - and it was a "pity" sale - I bought something from the gal next to me and she bought 3 cards from me. It was more of an exchange. Since then I no longer make cards specifically to sell except for Christmas cards. Unless I know I can use them myself if they are left over. It's always interesting to me to see what sells and what doesn't. I think during the holidays that stocking stuffer items and candy goes over the best. At least that is what worked best for me last year. This year it's anyone's guess. Best of luck.
I have also found that selling cards is hit or miss. Some sales they do really well at, while others I dont sell any. One sale I did with a friend, and the only cards I sold were to the vendor across from us. At breakdown time he came over and said he had been looking at it all day. He ended up buying 6 of the same card. . Now I mostly showcase my 3D items, and scatter some cards throughout the display. When someone looks at the cards I mention I have many others available and pull out a shoe box based on what type of card they are looking at.
On the other side, I made card "organizers" a little folder with a set of 6
coordinating cards and a matching book mark they sold very well at $10!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2011, 05:26 AM   #5632  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by raquelita_unoView Post
I hope this is an appropriate thread to pose this question. Since dropping my SU demonstratorship, I've been making tons of paper crafts mixing different products and companies. I would like to make items for sale, but am wondering how to give credit according to angel policies if I use images/products from more than one company. Have any of you already addressed this? My 1 idea was removable labels on the packaging or product. What else are you doing?
In general, you don't have to worry about it. Most companies allow you to make products on a small scale without giving credit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2011, 07:56 AM   #5633  
Embossing Fanatic

In all honesty, I do not believe that if your product is less than 1/2 made from one company, that you have to do the angel thing. I used products from everywhere. My card stock might be a blend of 3 or 4 companies, same with the stamps, and almost none of my embellishments are a card company product. If you were strickly using everything from Stampin' Up, then list it on the back, but otherwise, no worries. If you were a major seller with a formal business, then you would need to show product licences.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2011, 07:50 PM   #5634  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do you have a photo?

Love this display idea. Do you have a photo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoegreetingsView Post
So happy that you took the plunge. These shows are more fun (yes, it's a lot of working making the products, setting up, etc) for the crafters then for the customers. I've had a blast at each of the ones I've participated in, and look forward to doing it each year. It's always a thrill to make the products (I do greeting cards, greeting packages, and recycle sample fabrics into pillow covers, carry bags and tea cozys), and waiting to see what the response will be. I refuse to sell any cards less than $4 each. Anything less is devaluing your product. If someone is not willing to pay what they charge in the stores, then they don't deserve my work. That's the bottom line. You have to value what you do. Even the dollar stores have increased their cards to $2/each.

Glad you got your feet wet and started into sales. Each time you do it, you learn more. Your presentation was fine, signage very clear. Just consider elevating your cards on a board like I did, as they display better, and give people a chance to see them from a distance. Many people like to scan merchandise before they approach a booth. If your products on facing them, they can see them long before they get to your booth. I used a white peg board with white MDF moulding glued in lines. WIth a 4'x 2' board, you can get 3 lines of cards. I hold them in place by stringing sewing machine elastic thread about 1.5" up from the ledge and stick the cards behind it. The display is cheap and cheerful, and holds up to 35 cards, depending on the size. I've had great success with this display method. Better than a fancy metal turning card holder my friend bought me, and a lot easier to carry and pack.

I'm showing on May 28th at the Pickering Art Festival. Good luck to you in future shows.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2011, 10:50 PM   #5635  
Matboard Maniac

hi everyone...love reading all the post and getting great ideas. I am doing a "Arts under100.00" fair on Dec. 3d. I am making packs of christmas cards for sale. I have 6 packs of 6 cards made. If you sell your christmas cards in packs, how many packs do you make? Thanks all
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2011, 05:37 AM   #5636  
Rubber Obsessor

Scrapsy: LOVE your items! How do you make the snowman kisses and what is the poem? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #5637  
Mad Swapper

Have any of you done the m&m Christmas Story for a craft fair or personal use? I am looking for something to make for a bazaar at my church and thought these would be great. The only thing that has me stumped is how to present the poem on a small container of m&m's. I have small test tubes and the small round Wilton tins. I might just have to put the poem on the back of the packaging, but I would rather have it on the container itself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2011, 08:33 PM   #5638  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAmomof2View Post
Have any of you done the m&m Christmas Story for a craft fair or personal use? I am looking for something to make for a bazaar at my church and thought these would be great. The only thing that has me stumped is how to present the poem on a small container of m&m's. I have small test tubes and the small round Wilton tins. I might just have to put the poem on the back of the packaging, but I would rather have it on the container itself.
What is the M&M Christmas Story?
Judi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2011, 08:41 PM   #5639  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylorjudiView Post
What is the M&M Christmas Story?
Judi
Heres a link for you Judi :Poem: M&M Christmas Story

ALL NEW!! As of 6/20/11 http://stamperstacey.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2011, 09:19 PM   #5640  
Die Cut Diva

I was thinking about the battery tea lights "cakes" and thought about doing a happy birthday to Jesus spin on it...Any comments or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Likes