Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #41  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too have done purses and things for sales but can't seem to think up things for guys. Any ideas?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2013, 07:53 AM   #42  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by iteachakydsView Post
I too have done purses and things for sales but can't seem to think up things for guys. Any ideas?
I got some inspiration from Pinterest and came up with making Jenga block keychains.

I was given a Jenga game (you can probably find them at thrift stores or yard sales) and told "you can probably do something with this, right?"

I gave them a coat of white or cream paint, then covered each side with dsp (there are 6 sides to a block, so used 6 different patterns but from the same family so they all 'match'), covered with a couple of coats of matte ModPodge, then added an eyepin (jewellery aisle in Dollar Tree) and a key ring (also at Dollar Tree). I made sure I chose masculine papers - hockey, football, black/white stripes, maps, book pages, etc. Sorry I don't have a picture of the ones I made, but search up jenga block keychain on Pinterest and you'll find tons of ideas.

The great thing about this craft is that even if you have to purchase a Jenga game, there are 54 blocks in it, and that's a lot of keychains. Plus they are fairly small, so you don't need much paper (no bigger than 2X3) - great way to use up that stash of scraps!

All in all, since the blocks were donated, the paper would have probably been thrown out, and the cost of the ModPodge, eyepins and keychain rings came to maybe $4, they cost me a whopping 10 cents per (excluding labour) and I can sell them for $1 each. Huge profit margin, and low price point to encourage sales.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by iteachakydsView Post
I'm planning to make some laptop/messenger bags using a purse design for the guys.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #44  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #45  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by threeteensView Post
I am going to try the snowman popcorn. I haven't seen anything like that at any of the sales I was at last year, so here's hoping!
lol
Are you referring to a microwave popcorn treat or jiffy pop snowman treat? My first year of craft fairs I made maybe 3 jiffy pop snowmen (i think they came 3 in a pack) and they were the most talked about item on my table. They all sold rather quickly even after hesitation of buying my last one (plz buy them all i can make more!) I dont know why i havent made more....maybe 3 more to start the season. tile coasters always are a big seller for me every year!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #46  
Glitter Queen

Default Craft fairs

What is sub/subbing?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #47  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for those great ideas. Key chains can be masculine too, didn't think of that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #48  
Stampin' Fool

I rarely attend sales at elementary schools but do attend those at high schools. I find that in the younger grades, families come to sales as a family fun thing but not to buy. At high school, there is much better advertising and usually a purpose in having the sale (saving money for a big trip). People buy at these.
I will only do an elementary school if the table fee is $20 or less.
Another good place to find shows is through the local art council societies. These ones are usually quite well-established.
Generally, I don't do shows that are one day but prefer two days. This saves me money in the time it takes to pack/unpack.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #49  
Stampin' Fool

[QUOTE=kspiv;20324534]
For candy items, I plan on doing the hershey bars but I bought new sleeve designs to use: Santa, Elf, Reindeer and Penguin. They are 3-D and really cute. I plan on packaging them a little better and upping the price, because all that cutting out for the 3-D parts is labor intensive. Plus, they will be in a plastic sleeve with a jingle bell and tag on them. Probably charge $4 each or 3 for $10.
QUOTE]

I have seen the 3D ones available for sale but couldn't quite picture how the final product would package for sale. Are they very fragile?

I pack and unpack several times for different shows and can't really deal worrying about bending or folded paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #50  
Glitter Guru

Diane, I am kind of worried about that too! I found some cute designs on Aimee Asher Boutiques (a website that has digital downloadable stuff). I plan on putting mine in cello bags (I got a great deal on Clear Bags website for some 4x8 bags) and tying them off with the tag that came with the download. I think them being in bags will help with the "snagging" issue I foresaw by just having them loose. I used the SU dimensionals to pop up the 3-D parts, as they tend to be a little thinner than some of the others I have bought at Hobby Lobby, so I hope that helps too.

If I remember, I will try to post some pictures of the ones I got. I have 4 different designs (well, actually 5 as I bought the snowman ones in different colors) but I am only doing the Santa, Reindeer, Penguin and Elf for right now. I am doing 25 of each, so 100 total and I can tell you, all that cutting is A LOT of extra work. I hope these babies sell!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #51  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by hondasueView Post
What is sub/subbing?
It means subscribing. When you post a message in a thread, you get subscribed to that thread and you will be e-mailed updates to the thread on a regular basis (depending on how you have it setup in your settings).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #52  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeCraftView Post
I rarely attend sales at elementary schools but do attend those at high schools. I find that in the younger grades, families come to sales as a family fun thing but not to buy. At high school, there is much better advertising and usually a purpose in having the sale (saving money for a big trip). People buy at these.
This is good to know. I just came across a high school fair and wasn't sure whether I should pick it up or not; but now I think I'll give it a try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #53  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default 2013 craft sale best sellers ideas and discussion

here is an idea that I have not seen posted here. While I am not currently involved in selling I do teach a little and here is an idea that is popular with the ladies as well this is something I give as little gifts to friends.
How many occasions do you give or take a bottle of wine to someone? let me count the ways, Birthday, Thank you for your Hospitality, Christmas, Thank You etc etc. Rather than a boring old brown paper bag why not wrap that bottle in cello with. Pretty Wine Label Tag. package up 5 pr so in a cello bag, put out a bottle on your table ( don't forget to empty it lol) for display.

now because I like a bit of whimsy , one of my most popular tags reads:

Don't ask me
About this wine
The wine store guy
Said it was good

I have quite a number and my daughter is always asking me for them as she has 42 co - workers lol.

For those selling in schools and want something cute and perhaps an Impulse gift here is an idea to use for all those hexagon embossing folders that look like honeycomb when done in yellow or actual honey comb paper (available at Michaels) and a little bee stamp.

make a tag with the paper and stamp a little bee with the words "Bumble Gum", then fill a tube or 1x8 cello bag with yellow gumballs! Voila

So maybe the same little cello bag with chocolate covered raisins labelled "witches warts" or candy corn packaged as " turkey toes ". Sometimes these little what I call bread and butter items can add some extra jingle in your pocket.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #54  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 812 Likes on 332 Posts

Great ideas Canada Goose!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2013, 07:35 AM   #55  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by indyscrapmomView Post
Are you referring to a microwave popcorn treat or jiffy pop snowman treat? My first year of craft fairs I made maybe 3 jiffy pop snowmen (i think they came 3 in a pack) and they were the most talked about item on my table. They all sold rather quickly even after hesitation of buying my last one (plz buy them all i can make more!) I dont know why i havent made more....maybe 3 more to start the season. tile coasters always are a big seller for me every year!
I was talking about the microwave popcorn...never thought about the Jiffy pop! But I haven't seen Jiffy Pop in Canada...but it could be because I wasn't looking for it!

My Facebook page Live Love Stamp
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #56  
Pearl-ExPert

Since burlap is so in - I'm planning to make some burlap banners. Every year I make paper banners for thanksgiving so this year I thought I would try burlap. Let's see how that goes.

Also, apart from cocoa, planning to add apple cider and tea bags to the arsenal!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #57  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Smriti, how well do your banners sell? I was thinking of making some to sell this year at my craft shows. Burlap is very popular for wedding banners right now. I made a burlap one for a friend's daughter's wedding & it looked great on the front of their table at the reception.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #58  
Pearl-ExPert

I only make 2-3 banners every year - they're a lot of work and they're the only items on my table for more $10; I sell all of them. They always sell at one of the fairs so last year after I sold all at one fair I made some more for the second fair but didn't sell any there. Since I've had good luck selling them at one of the fairs, I continue to make them for that fair.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #59  
Kookie Creator

Default banners

I have made several banners using DSP for craft shows this fall. I have made "thankful", "believe", "BOO", "Peace"

I'm thinking of selling them for $8 each.....what's everyone's thoughts?

Thanks!
Deb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2013, 06:44 AM   #60  
Die Cut Diva

deansgal, I think it depends on how embellished they are. $8 works if they are basic, but if you over embellish (which I tend to do), the price should be higher. I've made and sold some at $5 and also $10 so $8 is probably a great starting amount.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #61  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by doorknocker3View Post
deansgal, I think it depends on how embellished they are. $8 works if they are basic, but if you over embellish (which I tend to do), the price should be higher. I've made and sold some at $5 and also $10 so $8 is probably a great starting amount.
I completely agree here. When I add glittered embellishments it's a lot more effort and I charge $10 or more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #62  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for the pricing info on the banners. I hadn't gotten that far in my planning yet. I am So far behind this year in getting ready for craft shows. I can't seem to kick it into gear.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #63  
Pearl-ExPert

Default 2013 craft sale best sellers ideas and discussions

i make all my boxes from scratch that way I can make them to fit anything I need. With this in mind I wondered if anyone here has made a box to hold the Keurig K cups?

This might be something to consider especially if you put your hot chocolate k kups in them instead of the usual chocolate packets you see. just a different spin on how to package the hot chocolate. There many tuts if you need one on Pinterest. once you have made one you can go on to make any size like me to hold as many as you like. A cute Secret Santa gift for anyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #64  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

There is at least one on Splitcoast. Also, cookiestamper has a Keurig section on her blog with a few variations. She also has great one-sheet wonder templates.

Quote:

Originally Posted by canada gooseView Post
i make all my boxes from scratch that way I can make them to fit anything I need. With this in mind I wondered if anyone here has made a box to hold the Keurig K cups?

This might be something to consider especially if you put your hot chocolate k kups in them instead of the usual chocolate packets you see. just a different spin on how to package the hot chocolate. There many tuts if you need one on Pinterest. once you have made one you can go on to make any size like me to hold as many as you like. A cute Secret Santa gift for anyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #65  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by kspivView Post
For candy items, I plan on doing the hershey bars but I bought new sleeve designs to use: Santa, Elf, Reindeer and Penguin. They are 3-D and really cute. I plan on packaging them a little better and upping the price, because all that cutting out for the 3-D parts is labor intensive. Plus, they will be in a plastic sleeve with a jingle bell and tag on them. Probably charge $4 each or 3 for $10.
I would love to see pictures!!!
"but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind...I press on toward the the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Phil 3:13b-14
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #66  
Pearl-ExPert

canadagoose: here's a link to keurig projects on cookiestamper's blog Blogs at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #67  
Pearl-ExPert

Default 2013 craft sale best sellers Ideas and discussions

Quote:

Originally Posted by smritiView Post
canadagoose: here's a link to keurig projects on cookiestamper's blog Keurig K-cup projects |
Thank you for the link, however I had made my own last year and was just passing on the idea. I Re -read my post and I see my wording was not clear. but having said that, it's always nice to see other ideas.Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2013, 04:33 AM   #68  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by smritiView Post
canadagoose: here's a link to keurig projects on cookiestamper's blog Keurig K-cup projects |
OMG! Those are stinkin' cute! Thanks so much for sharing your ideas! I never even thought of doing something with the k-cups!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2013, 06:57 AM   #69  
Pearl-ExPert

There are a number of them on the net if you look around. Lori Techlor has a template on her blog for either a box for 2 or you can also make it to hold 4 K cups.I think if you go to the post above when you read through it, the one you will see she gives a link to this template.Its on splitcoast and the poster is cookiestamper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #70  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to alicaz

I only went to one craft sale - it was in a church - didn't sell almost any cards, but several altered notebooks and fabric items (hotpads, oven mits). They also didn't allow any food items (they had their own bake sale)

This year they sent me a sign up form, but they have the sale quite early - first weekend in November - do people look for Christmas stuff so early?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #71  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Banners

What are these banners everyone's talking about?
Any one have any pics?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2013, 11:54 AM   #72  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by alicazView Post
I only went to one craft sale - it was in a church - didn't sell almost any cards, but several altered notebooks and fabric items (hotpads, oven mits). They also didn't allow any food items (they had their own bake sale)

This year they sent me a sign up form, but they have the sale quite early - first weekend in November - do people look for Christmas stuff so early?
I think they do! I do a 2-day show in early November (Nov. 9& 10 this year) and I always sell my Christmas stuff. Granted, most of my Christmas stuff is candy items but YES, people buy pretty much everything I have in the way of candy. This show is very well established though and people come specifically looking for Christmas items and gifts, it seems like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #73  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnoxView Post
Any one have any pics?
Thanks
Here's one: Thanksgiving banners by smriti - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #74  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Every year I do a fair on the first weekend of Nov. and it goes pretty well. I mostly have christmas stuff but try to squeeze in 1-2 things that are thanksgiving related.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #75  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I start my sales the first weekend after Halloween always. Sales are good.
Here in Canada, we have Thanksgiving in October so I only sell Christmas or general gift items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #76  
Stampin' Fool

re: candy

I always find chocolate items sell well but things like Skittles and hard candies don't. The kids always want them but parents won't buy.
Anyone else notice this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #77  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnoxView Post
Any one have any pics?
Thanks
The banners are fun to do. I made this one for my nephew. The background paper is soccer balls.
Attached Thumbnails
2013 Craft Sale Best Sellers - Ideas and Discussion-banner-scs.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2013, 03:44 AM   #78  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeCraftView Post
re: candy

I always find chocolate items sell well but things like Skittles and hard candies don't. The kids always want them but parents won't buy.
Anyone else notice this?
For me, the skittles candies sold best! Weird huh? Must be because I am on the other side of the country! lol

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2013, 07:15 AM   #79  
Glitter Guru

I've had mixed results with candy. I think chocolate always sells best, but have done ok with other stuff...like hard candy in the sour cream containers. I plan to try those again this year. But yeah, I mostly stick to chocolate!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #80  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookie1031View Post
The banners are fun to do. I made this one for my nephew. The background paper is soccer balls.
Your banner is so pretty!
Reply With Quote Likes