Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Technique Lover's Challenge (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/technique-lovers-challenge-44/)
-   -   TLC245 Double Embossing or Blank Embossing (you decide) {11/2/09} (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/technique-lovers-challenge-44/tlc245-double-embossing-blank-embossing-you-decide-%7B11-2-09%7D-466417/)

Lynn in St. Louis 11-02-2009 01:53 AM

TLC245 Double Embossing or Blank Embossing (you decide) {11/2/09}

First I'd like to thank MariLynn for hosting the challenge last week. She did a fantastic job and it looks like everyone enjoyed her challenge tremendously! THANKS MariLynn!!!

While cruising the Internet for a technique to share with you all I ran across something from January and while some of you may already be doing this, some of you may find it interesting and want to add it to your repertoire of crafting abilities. It's called Double Embossing and NILDA ROCKENBACH did a wonderful video tutorial that explains the process perfectly. I called this technique Double Embossing or Blank Embossing for a reason; I didn't want to limit this challenge to only those who had nestabilities because this "blank embossing" piece of this technique can be used alone and as a way to emboss a card front, leaving a blank area for stamping or some other type of focal embellishment.

The items that you will need for the technique are:
Cuttlebug (I tried this technique using my Wizard and couldn't get the same results so I went out and bought a Cuttlebug...lol)
Two pieces of thin chipboard the size of your embossing folder
Adhesive
Nestabilities dies or similar way to cut an opening in the center of your chipboard
Cardstock
Embossing Folder

Once you have gathered your supplies, check out Nilda's video HERE. (At posting time, this video was not functioning properly so HERE is an alternative location to find instructions) If you do the technique exactly as Nilda has outlined it in her video, then it would be Double Embossing as you embossing once with the Cuttlebug folder, leaving a blank space for stamping, and again to give definition to the blank space by embossing again with the nestability die. If you do the first part of Nilda's video, where you emboss your card front, leaving a blank space for your stamping or focal images, then it ceases to be Double Embossing and becomes Blank Embossing. Does that make sense? It's sort of a two-for-one type of challenge today. Whatever you call it, be sure to call it TLC245 (HA!)

I hope you will give it a try, and for those who do not have a cuttlebug, but utilize another type of embossing machine, I'd love to hear about your results, and if you had to make any modifications to the original instructions to achieve the same results.

To see my sample, CLICK HERE

To see the gallery of Double Embossing/Blank Embossing projects, CLICK HERE

And don't forget...add the keyword TLC245 (no spaces) when you upload your project so that we can all enjoy your awesome creations!

Hint for next week: Break out the Glimmer Mist (or improvise and just use color by making up your own mixture of reinkers and water in a mini mister.)

lorijane 11-02-2009 02:04 AM

Double darn! The Utube video is "down." I will have to try this later. I am up at 5 am. Without any distractions, I thought I could try something new. I need words and pictures to figure this out. I don't want to cut through any of my folders!
lorijane

I think the chipboard is the template to place the nesties. Sort of like a "Emboss-a-ma-jig."

Clownmom 11-02-2009 02:09 AM

This looks like fun. Unfortunately, the YouTube video didn't work for me. When I clicked on it, it said to check back later.

Lynn in St. Louis 11-02-2009 02:23 AM

OH NO....that bites....I'll send Nilda an e-mail and let her know...crud!:mad:

Nessie 11-02-2009 02:25 AM

Unfortunately, I can't see the video. It always says "An error occured, try it later"... So I will wait patiently....

Lynn in St. Louis 11-02-2009 02:27 AM

If I had time this morning I'd give you a narrative, but I have to get ready for work. I'll try to get something written up and posted soon...probably by that time the Video will be up and running again.

I'm so sorry ladies!

marilynprestonn 11-02-2009 02:37 AM

Oh my Lynn

I have tried to look at her tutorial but it tells me that an error occurs and to come back later. Is this happening to anyone else...

Helppppppppppp!!!!:p

Lynn in St. Louis 11-02-2009 02:39 AM

Yes - unfortunately it's happening to everyone. I'm so sorry for the delay!

n5stamper 11-02-2009 02:39 AM

I will have to try this one later when the video will load. I have seen it before but can not remember all of the steps and order

eured99 11-02-2009 02:48 AM

thanks so much Lynn....I couldn't open the tutorial, it said to try later. I'll keep trying....Can't wait to figure this one out!

DawnL 11-02-2009 02:48 AM

too cool... bummer about the tutorial
I'll for sure try it though! thanks Lynn

Lynn in St. Louis 11-02-2009 02:51 AM

I'll try quickly to explain the process quickly, as I have to hop into the shower and get ready for work.

Using two thin pieces of chipboard that are the same size as your Cuttlebug folder, cut an opening (either using a nestabilities die or some other cutting device. i.e. sizzix, coluzzle) Cut both chipboard pieces exactly the same.

Then adhere both pieces of chipboard together to make one thicker piece of chipboard.

Using the following sandwich, A plate, B plate Cuttlebug folder with your cardstock inside, your chipboard piece you just made (yes, it goes on top/outside of the folder) other B plate.

Then run this through your Cuttlebug. When you remove the cardstock you should have embossing in all areas except where you had the opening cut in your chipboard. (do you see where having a visual would be helpful???)

To double emboss, you would just use the same nestabilities die that you used to make your opening and using your rubber embossing mat, you would just emboss (not cut). Use the following sandwich for this step.
You will need Spellbinders Tan Embossing Mat to emboss in
Cuttlebug� machine (or a plumbers gasket cut to size, or some use a mouse pad)
Cutting Sandwich - (Stack from bottom up)
1. A plate
2. C plate
3. Spellbinders Die (cutting side up) that means the side with the
ridges
4. paper or cardstock
5. B plate
6. Run through Cuttlebug� machine.

Remember - you can omit this last step if preferred.

I'm really hoping that the video is repaired and working soon. It really does help to have a visual on this one. I'm so sorry ladies...I had no way of knowing that this video would stop working TODAY...of all days.

Lynn in St. Louis 11-02-2009 02:55 AM

Unfortunately, I was just going by memory, and am not in my stamp space...silly me for not writing down the steps. (I won't make that mistake again). I'm not 100% certain on the sandwich plates, but I gave it my best shot. Gotta run to get ready for work now. Sorry again ladies...I feel horrible.

PSUKim05 11-02-2009 03:34 AM

Hi All - I unfortunately do not have time to play this morning :(, but just thought I'd add that the video works for me on Firefox. Maybe it was just a YouTube hiccup?

krischir 11-02-2009 03:35 AM

I have this technique bookmarked from Patty's Stamping Spot.

It is a bit different, because she used premade wood frames instead of the two layers of chipboard, but there are lots of pictures with detailed description.

Hope that helps!!! :)

Wendybell 11-02-2009 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krischir (Post 15475706)
I have this technique bookmarked from Patty's Stamping Spot.

It is a bit different, because she used premade wood frames instead of the two layers of chipboard, but there are lots of pictures with detailed description.

Hope that helps!!! :)

You beat me to it, Kris! I was just going to link that!! Thanks for being so very speedy! :)

Lynn in St. Louis 11-02-2009 03:43 AM

You ladies are WONDERFUL! Thanks so much for helping out...I just got dressed for work and was coming to my laptop to do a google search to see if I could find other directions. Thanks so much..

I'll go back and edit the original post to show the new location of the directions.

SMOOCHES!

krischir 11-02-2009 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wendybell (Post 15475741)
You beat me to it, Kris! I was just going to link that!! Thanks for being so very speedy! :)

Hi Wendy! I kept scrolling through the posts, expecting to see that someone linked that blog....

I like the way Lynn's version uses chipboard instead of the premade wood frames.

DawnL 11-02-2009 03:45 AM

lol....thanks Lynn and Kris

Gail Macfadden 11-02-2009 03:51 AM

Glad to know it's not just MY computer that says the video is down-- I always tend to blame these glitches on it! But Kris's link worked well, and I think I understand the technique now!

gm2785 11-02-2009 04:00 AM

What a great technique here is mine http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=55725
its been fun. Thanks Gloria M.

lacyquilter 11-02-2009 04:09 AM

Oh, fun. I actually made a frame the other day from 2 pieces of cereal box, but I didn't use nesties. I cut an oval with a Bigz die, traced around it on the chipboard pieces & then cut it out with a craft knife. Haven't made a card yet, though.

*just an additional note: Patty does not add the extra step of embossing in the center.

Thanks, ladies.

GardenDiva 11-02-2009 04:15 AM

Ohhhhhh I've been wanting to do this technique. Gina K has a vid similiar to this a couple of weeks ago on her blog. Will have to go and see if I can figure out a frame. Maybe several sheets of kraft with a die cut opening and then taped together will work. I don't have the other chipboard frames. Back later.

Tina

debils 11-02-2009 04:37 AM

Going to see what I can come up with for this. I don't have everything needed and not sure if I can improvise on 4 hours of sleep but I am sure gonna try!

YorkieMoma 11-02-2009 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSUKim05 (Post 15475698)
Hi All - I unfortunately do not have time to play this morning :(, but just thought I'd add that the video works for me on Firefox. Maybe it was just a YouTube hiccup?

Nope, not working for me.....and I also use Firefox!!!

Pam

Lynn in St. Louis 11-02-2009 05:29 AM

You can use an empty cereal box or the back of a notepad usually had a piece of chipboard for stability.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GardenDiva (Post 15475998)
Ohhhhhh I've been wanting to do this technique. Gina K has a vid similiar to this a couple of weeks ago on her blog. Will have to go and see if I can figure out a frame. Maybe several sheets of kraft with a die cut opening and then taped together will work. I don't have the other chipboard frames. Back later.

Tina

Cook22 11-02-2009 05:44 AM

Hmm - if you've tried the Wizard and it doesn't work, Lynn, I guess I'd be wasting me time trying it myself. And after being sooo good and doing all the housework after being unexpectedly called into work.
Oh well, tidying my desk will be pretty constructive :D.

imastampin 11-02-2009 05:45 AM

I can't say this is one of my favorite techniques. I found it difficult to get a good result. I finally got an acceptable one and posted it here .

Thanks for looking!

Hugs,
Karen

GardenDiva 11-02-2009 05:48 AM

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...9492?nocache=1

Ok....here is my first attempt and I must say it isn't half bad. I made up my own version of some of the supplies that I didn't have.
FUN as usual Lynn.....
I've wanted to do this for a long time and haven't made myself sit and figure it out.
Thanks for the push................
Tina

Toy 11-02-2009 06:28 AM

Thanks, Lynn :)

I will have to try this again as my first attempt didn't come out as well as I would have liked. I need to tweek the sandwich some as the one stated wouldn't run through my cuttlebug :(

Here is mine:

~~ Holiday Wreath ~~

TFL!~

imastampin 11-02-2009 06:40 AM

I couldn't let this technique get the better of me, so I tried another.

Please take a look!

PattyBennett 11-02-2009 06:56 AM

In addition to the one linked in the first post, I also have an alternative to this method posted on my blog:
http://pattystamps.com/pattys_stampi...ng-folder.html

here was the original in Lynn's top post:
http://pattystamps.com/pattys_stampi...o-love-it.html

Hope you find them helpful! :)
Patty

justwritedesigns 11-02-2009 06:59 AM

Video & Firefox

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSUKim05 (Post 15475698)

I had hope when I read this, but I use Firefox and no matter how many times I've tried, the video is still down.:(

Lynn in St. Louis 11-02-2009 07:11 AM

Thanks so much Patty for helping out! {{HUGS}}

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv2stampathome (Post 15476824)
In addition to the one linked in the first post, I also have an alternative to this method posted on my blog:
http://pattystamps.com/pattys_stampi...ng-folder.html

here was the original in Lynn's top post:
http://pattystamps.com/pattys_stampi...o-love-it.html

Hope you find them helpful! :)
Patty

jandjccc 11-02-2009 07:28 AM

I LOVE THIS.........
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...598?&cat=14638
It's not perfect, but it sure is fun doing

debils 11-02-2009 07:31 AM

here is mine

krischir 11-02-2009 07:33 AM

Since I posted the alternate tutorial for Lynn this morning when the video wasn't working, I decided I would HAVE to play along today!!

Thanks for the kick in the butt that I needed, Lynn!!! LOL

Here is my card!

TFL!!

Stoplightstamper 11-02-2009 07:43 AM

This is a great technique and Patty Bennett has some wonderful tutorials. Here's my card. TFL

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...615?&cat=17444

creampuff 11-02-2009 08:22 AM

Okay, I tried this by trial and error because the video is down and the alternate website does it alittle differently. I tried with my Bigshot but couldn't get it to work, so then I just dug out my cuttlebug and kept trying different plates and combinations until it sort of worked for me but I don't think I got it exactly right. However, http://images.splitcoaststampers.com...?ts=1257182206 is my first attempt, I will try again because I really like the results

creampuff 11-02-2009 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GardenDiva (Post 15475998)

Tina

I used 2 pieces of a cereal box that I cut with the nesties, it worked great!