Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-27-2005, 01:12 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should I stay CTMH? Thinking of joining SU!

I am about to go inactive with CTMH-and I need to place an order if I do decide to stay...BUT I am contemplating joining SU! Seems to me the demos with SU have more business.
With the changes to the CTMH catalog/etc. I'm just not sure I want to stay.

Maybe you can tell me some good reasons I should I change to SU!??

Opinions out there???

Thanks,
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2005, 03:32 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am with CTMH and will end up going junior this quarter. I'll probably be totally out by the end of the year.
I think you need to look at your customers. If they are primarily scrapbookers, stay with CTMH. CTMH only advertises in scrapbooking magazines and the acrylix alphabets and scrapbook kits can't be beat!
If your customers are mostly stampers, you could go either way.
Some things to think about:
How much in CTMH supplies do you own?
Would it cost you a bunch to switch over to SU? (I am one of those people who feel they have to own every ink pad and reinker - it would cost me a ton to switch over!).
Do you have adequate storage room for wood-mounted stamps?
Whose stamp style do you like best? (The two companies are very different in their styles. CTMH has gone with a really modern look in their stamps - do your customers like that or more traditional?)
Are you doing this to supplement your income or as a hobbyist? I believe the compensation plans are pretty similar.
If you decide to go SU, I think the company has really good sign-on specials during sell-a-bration (January) if you can hold out that long.

Good luck with your decision. They are both wonderful companies.
Dina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2005, 04:11 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I admit I don't know that much about CTMH, so I'm not sure I can give you reasons SU might be better. Dina brought up some great points in her post above.

A further suggestion I might give is to investigate your possible uplines locally. I know my upline X 3, our group leader, has an awesome group meeting regularly which is called Opportunity Night, specifically geared towards people who are thinking about joining under her or her downline, and it's a great resource for making up your mind. Maybe see if any of the active demos near you do something like this?
And there's four in 'platitude-quoting idiot'. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2005, 05:02 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Here are some reasons why I love Stampin' Up!

1. High quality products.
2. Great customer service.
3. 48 beautiful coordinating colors (plus neutrals)
4. Easy to place order
5. Low minimums to stay active ($300 per calender quarter)
6. 20% instant income (plus opportunity to earn additional income based upon monthly sales and downline sales) - You earn 30% on your first hostess order
7. It's fun!
8. The products honestly sellthemselves. Sounds silly, but really, they do.
9. The starter kit is an awesome deal! Check out my attachment for what comes in the starter kit.
10. If you sign up before August 31, you get a color family of ink pads for FREE!!!!!!!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Starter Kit.doc (30.5 KB, 65 views)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2005, 05:15 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

If you are thinking about switching...why not look into ALL the stamp companies like I did. I am switching from SU to TAC. The quarterly minimums are much less and the stamps are cheaper because they are acrylic mounted, a plus since they take up much less space than the wood mounted ones. Hardly anyone in my area has heard or seen TAC stuff so all my friends are dancing with joy to see the catalog and can't wait until I sign up so they can place their first order. These are the same people who wouldn't even RESPOND to my emails about SU orders. I think they just needed a change and so did I. And even if the excitement wears off, I can still sell my handmade items I make anywhere I want because of the angel policy. Oh, and with the minimums so low, I think I can actually afford to keep myself active.

There are so many great companies out there and I really was oblivious to them all until recently. So I would advise that you look into several of them before deciding, so that you can find the one that fits right with your area and your needs/wants. Just my 2 cents.
I FiNallY DiD iT - TAC AnGeL #2645

Check out my gallery!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2005, 05:27 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

WOW What great points everyone brings up! LOL
It is nice to see that we have enough of a sampling around here to be able to see lots of good points about all the different companies.
I will add just this, I have three brand new neighbors who all just placed LARGE orders, they have a friend who sell CTMH and they never really loved their stuff because to them it looks "stamped" So I just mentioned that it may or may not be the stamps but the person that is creating with the stamps.... So no matter which company you are with, to get good sales as well as keep people interested, be sure YOU LIKE TO DEMO! That is what increases sales, when you love what you do and do it with all your heart, it shows.... Good luck making a TOUGH decision!! And be sure to let us know what you do decide!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2005, 06:21 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Question Thanks for the tips so far....couple of questions

Everyone has made good points.

I do like CTMH colors and I do have mainly CTMH products/tho' quite a few SU! too.

I never found the CTMH catty 'overwhelming' as some of the CTMH ladies say about their customers. So I am less than thrilled with the new lighter weight catty- I do NOT want to go to a website every time I want to look at the entire product line!

I DO prefer SU! stamps actually - more artsey...tho' I'm not in to 'modern' style stamps at all. I noticed both SU! and CTMH have some rather cartooney looking stamps (ugh - sorry). I don't care for some of the other stamp company designs honestly.

I think perhaps my BIGGEST sticking point is the investment I have in all my CTMH stuff/stamps/accessories/business tools - The Biz Tools are very expensive to start over with - don't ya' think??? This makes it hard to think about changing. How could I justify another 250.00 kit investment?

Secondly, the other point is , I love the CTMH bulletin boards (message boards) where everyone shares their ideas for demos/workshops/clubs/biz tips/swaps / etc. It is VERY active and busy. I love the friendly sisterhood.

On another positive SU! note...it seems like it's easier to book demos ???? Alot of gals seem to struggle with this in CTMH (my opinion).

I have NO SU! large units/teams near me. Although I do have a friend who is a demo.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Jeannie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2005, 06:40 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Jeannie,

If you don't have a large group in your area, then maybe SU is the way to go. I personally and most of my local downline and some of my crossline have told me that they just can't find hostesses to do workshops. Our area is definately overloaded with SU demos. Sounds like you have thought this through and if your area can support the SU demo, then go for it. Good luck!
I FiNallY DiD iT - TAC AnGeL #2645

Check out my gallery!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2005, 07:01 AM   #9  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinsparkler
Secondly, the other point is , I love the CTMH bulletin boards (message boards) where everyone shares their ideas for demos/workshops/clubs/biz tips/swaps / etc. It is VERY active and busy. I love the friendly sisterhood.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Jeannie
Just as an aside Jeannie there are many yahoogroups for SU demos, and on this site there is an SU demos only forum. Just throwing that out there. Good luck with your decision.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2005, 10:58 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Another thing to consider is do you or your current customer base & friends like acrylic or wood mounted?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2005, 11:16 AM   #11  
Bunny's SunnyChick

After reading all the wonderful posts, I am not so sure I can add much that will help...

I have a biased opinion as far as SU! goes...I absolutely love it...But as someone said earlier I sometimes have trouble getting my customers to respond to emails and sales that SU! offers...Ont the other hand, I have several dedicated customers and I just signed on two new Recruits and I do really well with SU! But I do have to take the time to work my business. I think that probably will apply to any of the companies.

CMTH I do not know much about but I have heard complaints about the new catty. Even some of the demos have not been as happy with the changes. I personally prefer wood mounted stamps so that is something to consider as well. Don't get me wrong I have heard good things as well.

TAC I actually checked them out and they sound quite awesome. It is really easy to sign up with them and all the mins are very reasonable...If you do not want to have to work as hard as far as demos go that might be the answer.

I doubt that I am even helping you much but I just thought I would attempt...Good Luck with your decision...

I tend to like the company that I am more accustomed to and I personally don't think I could ever switch from SU! to anything else....It is just too awesome to give it up...Shelly Rocks and so do all my Upline and SU! friends not to mention the stamps, etc....
Tracy H. #31511=)
"The beginning is always today!" Mary Shelley

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2005, 11:28 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thumbs up

My vote is always for SU!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2005, 11:56 AM   #13  
Glitter Queen

[QUOTE=stampinsparkler]Everyone has made good points.

the other point is , I love the CTMH bulletin boards (message boards) where everyone shares their ideas for demos/workshops/clubs/biz tips/swaps / etc. It is VERY active and busy. I love the friendly sisterhood.

Just so that you know--SU! also has great bulletin boards that can be accessed through the demo portion of their website.

By the way, where do you live?

--Robin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2005, 06:02 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Default Robin, I live in Ohio

I live in southern Ohio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2005, 07:14 AM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CTMH, SU, and TAC?

TAC I actually checked them out and they sound quite awesome. It is really easy to sign up with them and all the mins are very reasonable...If you do not want to have to work as hard as far as demos go that might be the answer. Quate from stampin-sunnychick

Yes TAC is quite awesome......And it is easy to sign up with one of our demo's.
As for Not having to work, Well that is up to the Demo themselves. Yes we a low quota, of $100.00 every 4 months, That's only $25.00 a month...
But to stay active you need to meet that quota! And this is on Retail orders not discount orders.

And one good thing is If you don't meet your quota and become inactive......."You don't loose your Demoship"
all you need to do is place a $100.00 and you become active again.

You as a Demo can earn 25% comm on Retail.
For every dollar accumulate Incentive points to earn rewards and trips.
30% on personal orders.

I do agree with the other ladies....Here you really need to consider what you want and need in your life.

And you need a Good Demo Upline...One that you can Talk to and get idea from.
Now when I joined TAC. I pretty much lost my Upline.....She hasn't been much help to me. and If Knew that she wouldn't be a good one I wouldn't have signed under her. So I now get support from other demo's that have been doing this for a long time.

Check out the area to see how many demo's from EACH company are in your area.

Ask yourself CAN I MEET the Quota for these Stamp Companies?

Which Company fits my needs?

Do I prefer wood mounted stamps or Unmounted stamps or Acrylic clear stamps?

So which ever company you decide to go with..........

Good Luck!

Spoiler

Last edited by jeanstamping2; 08-31-2005 at 07:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2005, 08:44 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default not planning to sign up but I'm curious and...

I have a few questions about TAC that I haven't read anywhere that I can remember.
Does the company submit the sales taxes to the states for you after you collect it?
Does TAC have online consultant tools? message boards etc?
What is their starting sales commission?
thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2005, 10:01 AM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Question TAC

I have a few questions about TAC that I haven't read anywhere that I can remember.
Does the company submit the sales taxes to the states for you after you collect it?
Does TAC have online consultant tools? message boards etc?
What is their starting sales commission?
thanks Jackie46

Here are some answers to your questions:
TAC pays our sales tax. When you have a sale all the money goes to TAC that you have collected,
With TAC you get a Commission Check twice a month. for all your direct sale and workshops.

TAC does not have one yet.......They are working on it.

Message board we have yes! It's a Yahoo Group.

Our Starting sale Commission is 25% on all Customer Direct sales and workshops.

You do not get any commission on your own personal sales

I hope I have answered your question along with anyone elses.

Spoiler

Last edited by Sereikastamper; 08-31-2005 at 10:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2006, 10:15 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Default TAC

ISO Portland OR TAC group. Where are they? Can I get a catty? Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boulderstamper
If you are thinking about switching...why not look into ALL the stamp companies like I did. I am switching from SU to TAC. The quarterly minimums are much less and the stamps are cheaper because they are acrylic mounted, a plus since they take up much less space than the wood mounted ones. Hardly anyone in my area has heard or seen TAC stuff so all my friends are dancing with joy to see the catalog and can't wait until I sign up so they can place their first order. These are the same people who wouldn't even RESPOND to my emails about SU orders. I think they just needed a change and so did I. And even if the excitement wears off, I can still sell my handmade items I make anywhere I want because of the angel policy. Oh, and with the minimums so low, I think I can actually afford to keep myself active.

There are so many great companies out there and I really was oblivious to them all until recently. So I would advise that you look into several of them before deciding, so that you can find the one that fits right with your area and your needs/wants. Just my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2006, 01:48 AM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

I was with CTMH, and quit because I don't like the Home Office. I had considered SU, but the minimums are too high for me to cover myself and they don't have a jr consultant status. I was with TAC, this catalog, I didn't like any of the stamps, well a few but I already owned them. They don't have their own papers that match their stamps and their inks are really not the best, except the chalk ink and of course they sell hybrid palette inks which are wonderful. I would frankly, step back and take a budget look and see if you can manage to cover minimums. I couldn't because we are saving for a house, but if I could, I would do SU. Stamping and scrapbooking stuff does not sell here, only to a select few. I decided to go completely the opposit and sell Stuff A Friend, figure the mothers aren't stampers, but they sure do spoil their kids, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2006, 03:12 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Jeanine and Dina,
So sorry to hear you're struggling with CTMH. I always hate to hear of girls thinking of leaving :( How long have you been with CTMH? If only a short time, I wanted to say that it takes time to build a business and to not get discouraged. I started in Oct. 2003, but, didn't get my first customer until Feb. 2004, and she was my only customer for about 3 more months! In just a couple of months, it will be 3 years for me, and in that time, I've become a Director, was 8th in recruiting last year, and always have enough sales to meet my quota for 3rd downline sales...and usually a little more<G>
Since you're on the corp BB, I'm sure you've seen all the suggestions about how to put yourself out there, so, I won't go in to those. But, the best suggestion is to hit those open crops. I had a d/l at one not long ago, and she got 3 new customers, plus a possible downline. I think the biggest problem is exposure. So many have heard of SU and CM, but not CTMH. Now that we're doing more advertising in stamp and scrap magazines, I know I've been contacted by more people.
Have you worked with your uplines to brainstorm?
Jeanine, you mention having to go to the website to see what's available rather than having a big catalog, do you not have the 2006 Product Review and the Spring and Summer catalogs? Since they are seasonal, it's pretty easy to guess which catalog a set of stamps will be shown in. Funny thing for me...I forgot to look in the product review until about mid-summer...then had an ah-ha moment...and had forgotten some of those stamps were still available. LOL!
If either of you girls want to pm me, feel free.

Suz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2006, 04:50 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also suggest looking into how many other demos for each company are in your area, one reason I chose CTMH was my area is saturated w/ SU demos, everyone I know already has a SU rep but hardly anyone has even heard of CTMH. I'd say that would be be an important thing to consider.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2006, 05:11 AM   #22  
SCS Moderator

just an FYI this post was from 2005 and is a year old. ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2006, 05:11 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

So nobosy realizes this thread was from a year ago...

I did and when I clicked on stampinsparkler's PROFILE ....
Forums at Splitcoaststampers

it appears she is now a SU demo.

"Consider how hard it is to change yourself; and you will understand what little chance you have trying to change others."

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2006, 05:11 AM   #24  
Mad Swapper

Default Alert - this thread was started 1 year ago!

Just a quick note that this thread was started a year ago and some of the info about specials is no longer current. The current special for Stampin' Up recruits can be found at www.stampinup.com
SCS member #549
My Gallery
"Let your little light shine...."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2006, 05:13 AM   #25  
Mad Swapper

LOL - stimultaneous flying fingers!
SCS member #549
My Gallery
"Let your little light shine...."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2006, 05:22 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Well here in CT I have never heard of CTMH. SU is just more prevalent. I just received my first TAC order which is another I hadn't heard of. I of course can't really give an opinion of which way to go because of the lack of knowledge. but i just don't hear about CTMH. Maybe in a another state that is different.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2006, 05:38 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by camsmom
just an FYI this post was from 2005 and is a year old. ;)
Well, good heavens<G> Just a year late. LOL! I didn't happen to notice the original date

Suz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2006, 04:01 PM   #28  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by olivia'smom
Well here in CT I have never heard of CTMH. SU is just more prevalent. I just received my first TAC order which is another I hadn't heard of. I of course can't really give an opinion of which way to go because of the lack of knowledge. but i just don't hear about CTMH. Maybe in a another state that is different.

Close to my heart use to be called D.O.T.S
Dozen of Terrific Stamps.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2006, 04:36 PM   #29  
SCS Moderator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzastampin
Well, good heavens<G> Just a year late. LOL! I didn't happen to notice the original date

Suz
I only knew b/c it showed up in my "subscribed threads" box and I had no idea I ever responded to it so I checked it out and realized the date, LOL:mrgreen:

Reply With Quote Likes