Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-19-2020, 02:14 PM   #4401  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,503 Likes on 719 Posts

Hello, we are back from errands and I have another sore throat and my ears ache. They are all so connected, I think, every time I swallow my ears twitch.

We did pick out a different couch, hallelujah on that. This la-z-boy we have now was expensive yet by turning it over we can see how cheaply it was made. DH’s side sags and the recliner on my side doesn’t work right. We were turning over couches in the display rooms at the store! Thank goodness the manager is a good friend, lol. So the new couch will be ready in a few weeks, and I will finally have one I can curl up and lie down on. This one we have now has a cushion in the middle with a storage area under it, and two drink holders, and we’ve never used any of it, and we can’t lie down!

Then we went to Walmart, where people were NOT keeping a safe distance apart from other people, the almost-empty soup/canned vegetables aisle was completely packed with irritable people trying to find stuff that was no longer available. We did find TP, one pkg per person.

Icy cold pouring rain again today, yuck.

It was announced today effective 2 pm that rules regarding people out driving went from yellow status - going anywhere you want - to orange status - strict rules. No visiting, no driving just to be driving, no stores other than grocery, doctors offices, to and from work, checking on ill people, or emergencies. Michigan cases tripled in 24 hours. Ours in Indiana are still low, but we ourselves are less than 30 miles from the Michigan border, and a lot of IN folks work in MI and vice versa.

Shelly, I traced DH’s family three generations back directly to Ireland. His niece has really done a thorough genealogical study of their heritage. I need to get a copy of what she has found out.

Phil. 4:13: I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2020, 02:33 PM   #4402  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 4,191 Likes on 1,825 Posts

It's going to be marshal law everywhere I think soon. If only people would just listen about the virus!

Got two cards made for VSN coming this month this afternoon!

Spent an hour and a half on Facetime with two of the grandkids making origami flowers! Kept them busy so my DIL could have a break! LOL! Gotta do what you gotta do!

Last edited by annsforte3; 03-19-2020 at 03:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2020, 02:38 PM   #4403  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,984 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I just told them, that I will not be going to retreat. StYing home with my hubby! I will do VSN with you all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2020, 03:34 PM   #4404  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Sharon, so sorry you will be missing your retreat but so glad you will be joining us for VSN!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2020, 04:17 PM   #4405  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks , Ann. We are watching a really good virus special on PBS. Peoples questions are being answered by drs. Lots of good info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2020, 04:41 PM   #4406  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

My spouse was watching it too and then turned it off, said he is tired of hearing about it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2020, 06:46 PM   #4407  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Good night. I have been scrapping. DH already in bed. Hope you all are well. Kandie, saying a prayer you wake up feeling better in the morning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2020, 07:21 PM   #4408  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Host
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,302 Likes on 937 Posts

Hi everyone. Sharon, I’m sorry you are missing your retreat but I think wise and I’m glad you will have VSN. I’m happy to do a virtual crop or craft with anyone who wants to if we can figure out times. VSN times are ok for me. I’m scrapping later today. Sharon, at least you tried with the envelopes. Maybe put it aside and go back to it again in a week.  I started your envelope challenge and made a pocket but want to fine tune it and then finish the page. 

I wasn’t well by the arvo and slept in today. My nose is running like a tap and no idea if it’s my sinus or a cold. I’ve still got a slight cough. My ears are so blocked and now I’ve got buzzing in my left ear and had it since I woke up..annoying. Kandie I feel for you..get well I think I’m coming out in sympathy with you. 

I loved the photo of the robin. I will put up more photos on the photography thread later today. I love to see photos from around the world. 

Gracie I always keep a book of local and international stamps available. I made my list of birthdays for the next 6 months and will have to get cracking on cards. I hope the mail system doesn’t break down.

I received a message to say one of my MM orders is coming today. The order was split into 5 orders. Two are coming from the States so I hope they get here....some cool Dina Wakeley collage papers.

Ann, so lovely to hear what your poppets say. I shall have to FaceTime ours later as I’m keeping away from them whilst I’m unwell. 

Annette I pray your daughter will be kept safe whilst she has to work.

Hi to everyone else. 

Some good news from here.....

A friend went to shop during senior hours yesterday and was given a free pack of loo paper. 

The banks have announced that small businesses will be given 6 month grace on loan payments. Individuals already can discuss hardship on loans and our bank interest rate went down again to 0.25%. Never known anything like this.

A local primary school suggested to our radio that at 9.20 they play the song I am Australian and all primary schools in our State were asked to play it over their PA systems so all the children could sing it. I pictured them all in their classrooms singing in unity. So emotional. Assemblies have been stopped. 

It’s nearly lunchtime and I’ve not long had brekkie but I’m ok with that. I have lots of time on my hands plus I could go back to bed and sleep. I need to think about how I’m going to finish my scrapbook page. Have fun and sleep well.
Monthly: MMJ Challenge….
get inky and have fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2020, 07:25 PM   #4409  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

I forgot to say..thank you to all of you who commented on my cards and sent kind thoughts.
get inky and have fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2020, 07:44 PM   #4410  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 4,279 Likes on 1,362 Posts

Hi everyone! Our governor issued a state wide mandate that we shelter in place. The county next to ours had issued an order effective midnight tonight and our county had issued a directive, more a suggestion not enforceable by law. But the mandate is enforceable by law. Since we thought our county might follow the next county over, I brought my three work computers home so that I can work from home next week. Unfortunately, the state mandate is open ended so I'm not sure how long this will last.

I did a lot of shopping before I came home. To quote Maxwell Smart, I "missed it by that much" when I went to Sam's Club. I saw our kind of tp in shopping carts and had hope but it was all taken before I got back to it. Bummer! It was still encouraging to see that they had any.

Shelves are still bare of uncooked rice/beans/pasta etc and baking supplies. Hopefully this will settle down soon.

Lots of chatter, I read it all but don't think I remember everything I probably want to comment on.

What a beautiful and big robin, Shelly!

I'm glad you decided about your retreat, Sharon. And yay for participating in VSN.

Congratulations on your new couch, Kandie!

Would you think Starbucks would be considered essential services? It is, so DD1 has to get up at 2:30 am to be at work by 4:00 am.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2020, 08:38 PM   #4411  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

I posted the descriptions on the statues if anyone is interested.

Catherine, I’m intrigued, how will you be able to work on 3 computers at one time lol. I was picturing you going from one to the next. Sorry I couldn’t resist. And bummer re tp...it gave me a chuckle today. I needed that. Sleep well and keep safe.

Crazy times we are living in. We will all get through this. I’ve started reading some of my bible again...now that is a first and I read some last year but prior to that...when I was at Sunday school so that’s another positive I guess.
get inky and have fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2020, 09:21 PM   #4412  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Jayne, yes, that is precisely what I do. One computer (a MacBook) is my primary work computer that I bring home every day. Another computer is the one I use and share with our head treasurer. I am his assistant treasurer and do most of the day to day entry and also process the checks for payment. At the end of the month, I give the computer (a Windows computer) to the head treasurer to do the month end processing. And the third computer, a very powerful Windows machine, is the one I use for the church database. I love that I work on different platforms, more exercise for my brain!

Glad I could give you a chuckle too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 01:43 AM   #4413  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

I am awake. My hands hurting woke me up. That punch board! I made 12 of those envelopes. That is 4 scores and 8 punches for each. 96 punches I knew I shouldn’t have been doing it when I did it. But you know we crafters wasn’t to craft! LOL

Catherine, I am glad you are able to bring your computers home so you can work from home. Our Grandson & son in last both world from home, and each have three very large computer screens side by side on their desks, but I think only one computer. I don’t know what they do. The screen saver is across all three. But when they are working there is different stuff on all three. They write soft wear and build programs I think.

Jayne, I have a page on my desk for my challenge. I made my envelope a pocket, and have it part way decorated. I hope to finish it tomorrow.

Since I couldn’t sleep tonight, I have been praying , thinking of all our health care workers. I heard they are calling in people, like Shelly said, that are retired. Annette, prayers for your daughter, too.

Yes, Jayne , Crazy times. We should all be turning to God, by reading the Bible, at a time like this. That is where are comfort and strength, & salvation come from. And one verse is in 2 Timothy 1:7. “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.” I remind myself of that, because it easy to start being afraid and worrying.
I guess I will try to go back to bed and get some sleep.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 05:02 AM   #4414  
Proud Fan Club Member

Good morning. All this chatter about God and faith made me emotional. If more people read their bible, they would indeed not have fear but know that God is in control. It gives me peace of mind.

Inner stress, however, is causing the psoriasis to skyrocket. I’m getting patches everywhere and I don’t even notice some of them until the area starts to hurt, like my elbows. This low immune system is going nuts. I’m trying to keep myself calm but I worry about my children. I know I’m not alone in that.

When is VSN? Maybe I can do it this time. I still want to try that envelope book. Sharon, I have one of those punch boards! I’m NOT surprised your poor wrists are sore!!! I love to get out my gadgets on a project! And kudos to you for getting back into crafting!

Catherine, right after I read your post this morning I saw on the news about sheltering in place. What an odd phrase. And what about the homeless people? I wonder what they do?

Ann, you are such a doll of a grandma for doing origami with your grandchildren! What fun!

Catherine, I have to tell you, I totally laughed out loud at your Maxwell Smart reference, because that is DH’s FAVORITE phrase ever! He must use it at least once a week, lol.

Jayne, I wish you felt better. Do you have plenty of Kleenex? I love the idea of singing your national anthem. If anyone suggested it here, I know of an organization who would fight against it being done. They always do. I always tear up at our national anthem, and did so when I read your post as well.

Yesterday’s ways to use it challenge was to make a card with ripped paper. I’m hoping to do that today.

Still have the sore throat and sore ears, and I’m hoping it’s not a bacterial infection again from the drainage.

The deal with the new couch is the same as for our bedroom set. I make the payments. DH pays the house payment and all the utilities. He and I split the car payment, and I pay the furniture loans. That’s how I managed to talk him into the new bedroom set in the first place, lol. He is a VERY thrifty man.

Anyone else having crazy weather again? It was so cold and rainy yesterday in the 40s and high winds whipping the rain around. At 4 this morning it was up to 62 degrees. Now we’re back to 40. Crazy, crazy.
Attached Thumbnails
Alphabet Challenge Round 12 Sept. 11,2019 - March 18, 2020 CHAT-fb875834-8958-4b2a-b1a7-e48cef4a90cd.jpeg  

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 05:09 AM   #4415  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 3,114 Likes on 968 Posts

Oh, Sharon, sorry you couldn't sleep. You really were up in the middle of the night. I'm trying the envelope album, but since I have envelopes left over from my wedding invitations (gasp!!!), I decided that might be a good use for them. I had trouble getting the last 'cover' in, so I did it a little differently. They are not perfectly straight. I'm going to try putting on a chipboard cover, so it's still a work in progress.

Near freezing here today. We had a lot of heavy rain last night, but it seems to have stopped.

Have a healthy, happy day, everyone.
Melody ~ Isaiah 40:31 Come join the Alphabet Challenge My GOD can do amazing things. Ephesians 3:20 gallery ~~ blog lilacs and butterflies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 05:20 AM   #4416  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Kandie, VSN is next week -- Friday and Saturday, 27 & 28.

CREATIONS MUST BE UPLOADED BY 11 P. M. EST ON Monday, April 6.

Ann and I are both hostessing.
Melody ~ Isaiah 40:31 Come join the Alphabet Challenge My GOD can do amazing things. Ephesians 3:20 gallery ~~ blog lilacs and butterflies

Last edited by lacyquilter; 03-20-2020 at 06:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 06:10 AM   #4417  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Good morning! DH just got back from store. He said it was crazy busy. He couldn’t even park in the stores parking lot! No meats, breads almost gone. He got one of last loaves. He got a last frozen meal. Usually when he goes it is white haired people with the small carts and one or two things in their cars. He said today it was mostly 40 something women with full carts. Probably moms with kids home from school. Got to feed them, and no one is going out to eat.

DH just read online our county has first virus case. Woman over 60, doesn’t say how she got it.
Has anyone notice? Gas prices are low! Can’t go anywhere, it gas is cheap. LOL

So that was the bad news and good news.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 06:37 AM   #4418  
Proud Fan Club Member

Sharon, isn’t it strange. We can fill up our cars for $1.69 a gallon, but we aren’t to go anywhere. Talk about an oxymoron.

You remember I ordered aloe vera gel and rubbing alcohol from Walmart? A three pack and a two pack of gel, and two alcohols. I received confirmation of shipment this morning, and Walmart is sending me 13 bottles of gel and absolutely no alcohol. I am STILL trying to figure that one out...

DH’s DS2 just texted him that he’d like DH and I to stay home, and if we need groceries, he will go to the store and get some. He’s the strong silent type, so that floored me. Wasn’t that amazingly sweet?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 06:52 AM   #4419  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Ack! Kandie, I gave misinformation!!! VSN is NEXT week Friday (27th) and Saturday (28th). I edited my previous post. Sorry! I think I left my brain in bed this morning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 07:13 AM   #4420  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I am laughing Melody at your brain in bed! I used to tell my kids that their dad left his brain at work!

Kandie, yes, you should not go out for anything! Especially with your immune system the way it is! Stay home!

Catherine, love that you are able to work on three different types of computers. Apple has closed it's stores so if your Apple device goes out you will be in trouble, good thing for other computers.

Sharon, sorry you did not sleep well. I know exactly what that drive is to work on things! I tend to get that way!

I'm late getting moving today, the freezing rain was hitting the house last night and kept waking me up! Crazy weather!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 07:20 AM   #4421  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Ann, you must be just far enough north that the temperature is that different. I don't think we had freezing rain, just a lot of normal rain -- with THUNDER!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 08:42 AM   #4422  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Catherine, for your bread recipe do you let it rise twice, once in the bowl and once in the pans?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 08:43 AM   #4423  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Yup, it is so much colder here Melody! It's funny, you are not that far away but the temps are always so different.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 09:04 AM   #4424  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Good morning! Today it is sunny outside and was in the 40s when I looked but rain is to return on Monday...it even shows snow for next Wednesday, but I'm relatively sure that won't actually happen. DH just said that if it doesn't warm up soon, we are going to run out of seasoned firewood.

DD1 said she had about 100 customers this morning during her shift. She then headed to Sam's Club to get gas which, yes, is cheaper than it has been though not as cheap as yours, Kandie. We were just happy to see it start in the $2 range, rather than the $3 range. Yesterday, I paid $2.85/gal for premium gas. She'll pay $2.65/gal for regular. But she said the line to get into Sam's Club stretched around the building. It seems the governor's order for the state to stay home has incited another panic about supplies. Who knows how long it will be before we can find tp in the state.

Sharon, I'm sorry your hands woke you up in the night. Hope you got back to sleep. When my DH is at work in his real office (rather than the dining room table), he has three screens and one computer like your family. He is in Information Technology support.

Kandie, I'm sorry your psoriasis is flaring up and thankful for your DH's DS2. That is wonderful and such a blessing.

The girls and I enjoyed watching Get Smart borrowing the DVDs from the library and that phrase is one of several that have stayed with us and you might hear at random times.

I, too, get emotional for the national anthem and love when I see people behaving properly for the flag and national anthem. We are so blessed in this country.

Melody, you made me laugh with your comment that you left your brain in bed. Too funny.

Freezing rain, Ann? Good thing no one needs to go anywhere.

I saw this funny today and it made me laugh. To go to the grocery store, they said a mask and gloves were enough....they lied....everybody else had clothes on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 09:08 AM   #4425  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Catherine, bread question? Do you do two rises?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 09:09 AM   #4426  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Ann, I let my Kitchen Aid mix it very thoroughly and then make it into loaves and rise. So just the once, we've been happy with it that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 09:09 AM   #4427  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Ann, we keep posting at the same time, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 09:12 AM   #4428  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Sorry was nagging, going to start the bread soon and I wondered if it was two rises so I could get moving on it. We don't have bread and there is none available anywhere and I don't want spouse out running around looking! LOL! So glad you were home to answer my question. Thank you!!

Oh yes, what do you grease the bread pans with?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 09:15 AM   #4429  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

No worries, as for greasing the pan, I do the easy thing and just use a spray oil but anything would work, I would think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 09:22 AM   #4430  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by smadsonView Post
I am awake. My hands hurting woke me up. That punch board! I made 12 of those envelopes. That is 4 scores and 8 punches for each. 96 punches I knew I shouldn’t have been doing it when I did it. But you know we crafters wasn’t to craft! LOL

Catherine, I am glad you are able to bring your computers home so you can work from home. Our Grandson & son in last both world from home, and each have three very large computer screens side by side on their desks, but I think only one computer. I don’t know what they do. The screen saver is across all three. But when they are working there is different stuff on all three. They write soft wear and build programs I think.

Jayne, I have a page on my desk for my challenge. I made my envelope a pocket, and have it part way decorated. I hope to finish it tomorrow.

Since I couldn’t sleep tonight, I have been praying , thinking of all our health care workers. I heard they are calling in people, like Shelly said, that are retired. Annette, prayers for your daughter, too.

Yes, Jayne , Crazy times. We should all be turning to God, by reading the Bible, at a time like this. That is where are comfort and strength, & salvation come from. And one verse is in 2 Timothy 1:7. “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.” I remind myself of that, because it easy to start being afraid and worrying.
I guess I will try to go back to bed and get some sleep.
Sharon that is the first verse I used in my scripture thread! If you have seen it yet, the link is in my signature.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 10:20 AM   #4431  
Proud Fan Club Member

LOL

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 10:49 AM   #4432  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Catherine, got the bread ready, but it feels too dry. So I decided to let it rise.

Going to half the recipe next time so my mixer is not overwhelmed! LOL and easier for me to handle.

Looked online and the look of dough is a bit more soft then what mine appears to be!

I have not made bread in years besides the bread machine! LOL A learning curve again!

But the family is excited to have fresh bread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 10:56 AM   #4433  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I made bread last week. I had to go get yeast before I could do it, because my jar was almost empty. I thought about trying Catherine's recipe, but got lazy and used my bread machine instead. I almost always use rapid bake, so it's only 2 hours once I turn it on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 10:57 AM   #4434  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

At least you were able to get yeast, Melody, it is now off the shelves and can't get it online either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 11:12 AM   #4435  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

That was a funny video, Kathy!

It is funny how baking is generally a pretty exact science...except when it comes to bread making. DH and I both make bread from scratch but we both grew up in homes where it happened regularly. Just like you, Ann, we go by the feel of the dough, too dry/too wet/just right. I guess the humidity around you affects it and other things. My oldest brother's wife is an excellent cook and seamstress and just excellent at most everything she does but she couldn't get the hang of making bread. I'm sure she could have gotten it but threw in the towel before she got there. I was sad because mom told me that my brother told her to quit bringing him homemade bread because it bothered his wife. I guess because she couldn't do it, it bothered her that mom could? I don't know, I was sad because I know he liked mom's bread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 11:22 AM   #4436  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Kathy, I just went back and watched the Crazy Russian Hacker video with the instant underwear. Too funny and that underwear didn't look inviting at all! But now I think I want that umbrella, that was a great design!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 12:29 PM   #4437  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Catherine, my second attempt did not turn out! Did not rise well and was like two hard lumps! Going to try again and this time let it rise twice.

The first batch is rising well and almost time to turn it out and start the second rise.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 12:31 PM   #4438  
Proud Fan Club Member

I'm going to make bread too. I bought a bag of five loaves of frozen dough! Never fails!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 01:10 PM   #4439  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Ok I think I'm stressed just thought about it and I think I did not add the full amount of yeast to the last try. I halved the recipe and pretty sure I only added 1 teaspoon and a half to the mix.

Need to keep focused! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 01:36 PM   #4440  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Ann, I think it could still work. You may have to let it rise longer.
Reply With Quote Likes