Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-22-2005, 04:54 PM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storage ideas for wheels?

I'm looking for ideas to store my wheels. I have both the regular size wheels and the jumbo ones. Right now my wheels are stored in a drawer. What do you do for storage? Have you found something that is functional for the wheels? What do you do to store the ink cartridges and your wheel handles? I would love to hear what works for you! Thanks for sharing!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2005, 05:28 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Smile

Go to craftlocker.com and then to wheel & handle storage. It is $39.95 and I have had it on my WANT list for months. If I could just stop buying stamps!!! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2005, 05:41 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Location: At my front door peering through the sidelight anxiously awaiting a visit from 'Mr. Brown'...

June Tailor wooden thread rack. Holds 30 wheels large and small, $10 with coupon from Joann Fabrics... http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?C...3&PRODID=25996 the picture shows it loaded with thread but the wheels go on every other peg and the pegs are just the right height.. (See second Customer Review!) HTH

Splitcoast Uploads - 2 Peas Scrapbook Gallery -
Stained Glass - Jeeping
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2005, 05:44 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

I'll have to check these both out. I've heard about the craft locker in the stamp magazines, but I haven't checked out their website yet...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2005, 06:24 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

I have always been told the ink cartridges have a tendancy to dry out so the best way to store them is in plastic (bags or SU stamp boxes). I keep mine in the boxes (from a supply order). I also mono'ed little white tags and wrote the color on the tag so when I look in the box, the names are on top and easy to read and find. I store my cartridges cover side down. It is very handy to have them all in the same place like this for me.

Have yet to find a wheel and handle storage solution that I like. And that is a bummer but, on the other hand, there are worse things in life than my need to see my wheels all at the same time! Someday the right solution will happen for me, I'll just keep looking.
Lynn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2005, 06:04 AM   #6  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeckyInMa
June Tailor wooden thread rack. Holds 30 wheels large and small, $10 with coupon from Joann Fabrics... http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?C...3&PRODID=25996 the picture shows it loaded with thread but the wheels go on every other peg and the pegs are just the right height.. (See second Customer Review!) HTH
I was at Joann's just yesterday and purchased a thread rack (14.99-6.00 discount). Got it home and was ready to mount it, but my wheels wouldn't fit on the dowels. BUMMER... next time, I'll take a wheel with me.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:12 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Smile

Now that I see the wooden thread thread rack from JoAnn's I may be rethinking my idea. Does anyone else who has this have an opinion. How does it attach to the wall?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2005, 06:15 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

I bought a regular peg board and mounted in on the wall. I have the "straight pegs" that you can buy in the hardware part of Home Depot that are at a slight upward angle. Love it for my wheels!! If I ever get around to it, I am going to type an index to put over to the side of the row that tells which wheels are on that row. My DH built an open box shelf on the bottom that holds my handles and what cartridges I own. I don't have too many of those, though, 'cause I just use the stamp pads for my ink. Generally I use it for cards.

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2005, 08:23 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

I have no wall storage at all at my stamping corner, but have beautiful big windows! Everything has to fit under my stamping desks and sewing machine. I use clear tennis ball cans to store my wheels in (both jumbo and regular will fit in them!) I label the top with what is in the can and I store out-of-season ones in a drawer in a plastic storage case (like Sterlite.) I found Hot Wheels clear storage cases ($4.8 at Walmart. They have 48 slots (24 on each side) and fit both the regular and jumbo ink cartridges and reinkers perfectly! I have three of them, one for regular reinkers, one for craft reinkers and one for my cartridges and their reinkers. I have also seen the Hot Wheels storage cases on ebay, but they often charge as much as $15 to ship them to you! Good luck! I would love to have a wall storage unit, but just don't have the wall space right now for one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2005, 08:27 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Default wheel storage

Potato chip cans work great for me....I wrap the outside in paper that I have wheeled with each wheel inside that can! Cheap and easy and they fit layig down in the drawer of my work station!

ASAP..... Always Say A Prayer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2005, 09:12 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

elsee-thanks for the advice about storing the ink cartridges for the wheels! I hadn't heard that before. Do you keep each one in a separate bag, or all of them in plastic storage together? (trying to get a visual). I like the idea of storing wheels on pegs. it seems like they would be very accessible, provided the wall storage is there. These are all great ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2005, 09:29 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

I haven't done this yet, but one of my demos does... she took the wire pants/quilt hangers and they fit her wheels GREAT!!! I'll have to ask her exactly where she found the hangers...and I'll take a picture next time I'm over there.

Here's what I think she uses...

"Born to Stamp - Forced to Work!"

Last edited by Mel313; 06-23-2005 at 09:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2005, 09:30 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat
I was at Joann's just yesterday and purchased a thread rack (14.99-6.00 discount). Got it home and was ready to mount it, but my wheels wouldn't fit on the dowels. BUMMER... next time, I'll take a wheel with me.
I did the very same thing - was so excited!! but it won't fit - I did get the large one, but I don't think the small one would work either, but the next time I go to J's I'm going to check.

My upline has one her husband made for her using the same idea, just made to fit her wheels
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2005, 09:38 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

I store my wheels in a lingerie hanger in the closet. It's like the shoe hangers with the clear pockets, but it has a lot of smaller pockets. It's easy to see the wheels, and I don't have to pull several out to get to the wheel I want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2005, 09:40 AM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

Default Just bought the thread spool holder at JoAnn's

I bought the spool rack last week with a coupon. It is not very well made or particularly sturdy, so I would not advise paying the full price for it. It will however serve well enough for storing my small wheels. I also tried a friend's large wheel on it and it looks like you can store a mixture of both sizes on the same rack. I use the vacant pegs between the wheels for storing the taller (than regular sewing thread) narrow spools of embroidery thread (like Sulky) that I have purchased, against the day I have time to try my hand at paper embroidery--
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2005, 09:45 AM   #16  
Glitter Guru

Where did you find the lingerie holder you use for your wheels? I've seen a picture of a shoe holder being used for wheels and other stamping items before, but not a lingerie one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2005, 09:45 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

I bought a wooden thread holder at WM for 9.95 and it works great. It has easel (sp?) type legs or I am going to wall mount mine. I have to put 1 wheel on a peg skip a peg and then another...I have all the small wheels on the top rows and use the bottom row for the Jumbo wheels. I dont have that many wheels accumulated yet so it's working for me.

Darla
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2005, 12:14 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Default wheel storage

I use a pant/slacks hanger. It is heavy silver metal with rubber coating on the hanger to keep pants/slacks from falling off, it holds 5 pair (I think) of pants. I have seen them at target. You need to cut the rubber off to get the wheels on. I like it cause they "lock" in place and the wheels don't slide off. I am at work and can't describe it any better, sorry, hope this helps.

Peggy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2005, 12:32 PM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Smile

You're gonna love this - in the new catty, they sell the plastic containers (much like the ones the stamp sets come in) with sizes that fit both standard wheels (holds 10) and jumbo wheels (holds 6) and you get a set of 2 of whichever size you pick for $9.95 CAD.

You can also buy ALL the sizes of the storage boxes from the extra small all the way to extra large with dividers - all the dimensions are listed so you can figure out which size you need for your ink cartridges!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2005, 12:52 PM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

What's her name,
Thanks so much for this terrific info! Makes me want to see the new catty even more! Can't wait!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2005, 01:07 PM   #21  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by whats_her_name
You're gonna love this - in the new catty, they sell the plastic containers (much like the ones the stamp sets come in) with sizes that fit both standard wheels (holds 10) and jumbo wheels (holds 6)
Well, that's really cool! I'll have to wait for my new catalog. Bummer... one more thing added to my ever-growing wish list.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:25 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat
You just need the other size. The first one I bought, the wheels didn't fit. I had to take it back. I have mine on one and I have zip-tied it to the side of my wire cube racks. I need another...LOL

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2005, 04:57 PM   #23  
Crimping Master

Alana -

I keep all of my cartridges in an empty stamp box. (no baggies around each). Jumbos in one and regular size in another. They line up and fit very nicely.

Try removing a set of SU stamps that you already have and put your cartridges in to decide if you like it or not.
I know I have trouble visualizing things too! - hope this helps you know what I mean.

Sounds like these empty stamp boxes are going to be offered in the new catalog this year, otherwise you have to ask your demo about them.

Here's hoping for happy wheel and cartridge storage for all of us!
Lynn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2005, 05:12 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy-crafter
I use a pant/slacks hanger. It is heavy silver metal with rubber coating on the hanger to keep pants/slacks from falling off, it holds 5 pair (I think) of pants. I have seen them at target. You need to cut the rubber off to get the wheels on. I like it cause they "lock" in place and the wheels don't slide off. I am at work and can't describe it any better, sorry, hope this helps.

Peggy
I also use the pants hangers. You can also get them at the Container Store or at WalMart. I love them. I hang them on my wire rack shelving. It is easy to see what I have and pretty easy (depending on which end the one you want is on) to remove them for use.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2005, 07:06 PM   #25  
Mad Swapper

Default wheel and ribbon spool

My bestest stampin buddy made herself a place to hold her ribbon spools...should work the same way (basically). She went to Hobby Lobby, bought a wooden base with a hole in it, unpainted, and a wooden dowel the right size to fit. She just put the two together. It cost her less than one dollar total. Hard to hang on the wall though. But if you had a flat place to keep it, it would work.
Be
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2005, 07:24 PM   #26  
Glitter Guru

I'm excited to see the new wheel storage in the new catty! I might have to wait to make a decision until then. It's so hard to decide what would work best. There are so many good ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2005, 08:43 PM   #27  
Mini Quack

Default how do you store wheels

I would like to try the over the door..clear.. shoe holder
I think it would be great for punches.. wheels.. handles.. scissors .. rulers . ribbon .. did I forget anything??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2005, 08:30 AM   #28  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Storage for SU Wheels

I just read in another thread in the forum that SU is coming out with Wheel storage cases in the new catalogue. My catalogs come next Tuesday. I can hardly wait!
Sassy Sioux
Reply With Quote Likes