Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-14-2016, 09:30 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Vent about blogs

It annoys me when I go a crafter's blog and in order to see it properly, I must subscribe to it and then sign in to view it. Why can't I just look, especially the 1st time to see if I like the site.

Yes I know I can subscribe and the unsubscribe.

Shopping sites do the same thing and I will not do it.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2016, 11:14 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I understand what you are saying. I think everything has gotten so much more complicated on the internet these days, compared to how it was years ago when blogging first became a "thing".

I know that there are elaborate programs that track visits to websites and blogs. Some of them pay actual money for the number of "hits" on the sites.

Others can keep track of visits and subscriptions, and determine the order that the website or blog shows up on google, hence more traffic - which is desirable.

I watch many tutorials on youtube, about papercrafting and my other hobby, crocheting. Many of the videos have ads at the beginning, and usually there is a way to "skip" the ad, which I've done.

One of my favorite ladies, who teaches crochet, recently said that if you don't skip the ad, but let it play and then watch her video, she will get a small payment, which allows her to continue to produce the videos.

I just tend to accept it, and know that technology is growing faster than I can ever keep up with.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2016, 11:32 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

I have not had this problem....yet. When I click into a blog from SCS or even pintrest, if or when I get that great big box that says sign up for emils, I just chick that little x in the upper right hand corner and the box goes away, then I can view the blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2016, 11:39 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Leslie, I do the same thing.

I have noticed more sites where you "must" log in even to use the product, not just blogs. For example, I didn't used to have to log in to evernote and now I have to create an account to use it. I think for that though it must have something to do with the "cloud" so you can access the info from any computer/phone/tablet etc. I don't want my stuff in the cloud though and don't want to create an account so it becomes a matter of, do I want to use this product/app, whatever? Not really. I have enough accounts and don't want ONE more. sigh...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2016, 11:47 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Not all sites have that wonderful "x". Several I've looked at recently just have a large box that takes up half the screen and no way to opt out.

Sometimes I just want to see if there is any more information on a project and not take the time to sign up and then unsubscribe. And yes I understand that hits are a revenue source for bloggers, but it's still annoying.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2016, 11:57 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

I agree, basketdiva. Those half page views are extremely annoying. Pinterest and FB are the worst especially when you just want to see one or two things but it's always annoying.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2016, 12:07 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

slightly off subject, but on the point about wanting to find out more about a project. I hate it when I click on something on Pinterest, maybe because I want to find out more about the technique, or products, only to find that it just leads to an image. Someone just pinned an image, with no back link. Drives me nuts!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2016, 12:21 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm one who watches Pinterest and Pins to my one board. I have no idea about back links. If I see a card I want to save and it is 'pin-able' I just click on Pin.
Honestly, I don't expect anyone else to look at 'my stuff.' !!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2016, 06:51 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have noticed it more and more on shopping/store websites. I refuse to give up any personal information just to see a product to determine if I want to buy it. It annoys me to no end!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2016, 07:16 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Some of those opt-in pop-ups are really big too and some of the close buttons are really tiny. lol. I get more annoyed at the ones where I have signed up and they still give me the pop up. I find if you let your favourite blogger know your user experience they can then make a decision to act on it, or not. Bloggers with pop up opt ins are looking for a potential return on their investment so I can't begrudge them that.

I've had pin boards that were purely for the purpose of collecting a set of images so locating a source is not relevant. And if someone inside a closed group has pinned an image to their board there is not much anyone can do about that either. You can't link them back since they don't have the option to share or pin from the source. The closed groups I'm in are a protection to the investment of money for the creator and the student. Or they are just private. Now if a business or someone garnering followers, was pinning stuff with no source, that would annoy me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2016, 01:12 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Harvestmoon, it's the original pinner who would have just pinned an image, not anyone after, sorry, didn't make myself clear. Sometimes I'll see something and wonder what they used/ how they did a thing, and going to the original blog it came from can get me the info I want. Not always possible though.
Misstreez, that may well be the answer then, I didn't know that. Thank you for that info.
On the pop-ups, I hate they don't all put that (tiny) cross in the same place! You automatically go to where it usually is, then find you've clicked a link instead!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2016, 02:13 AM   #12  

Received 207 Likes on 186 Posts

Interesting thread. I feel the same way about some blogs that try and boost their readership by making you subscribe to see something or when they offer a give away but the only way you can enter is if you subscribe. That really turns me off and I just move on. If someone wants to sub to my blog that's fine....it's not something I expect or insist on to come for a visit. I just appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2016, 02:52 AM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I am low tech...I dont see the point of forcing people to sub if they are going to just cancel it two minutes later? The track program may show that, but what use is that metric? If I was paying a blogger based on subs, it would not be how many signed up, but how many are still there last day of a month or something.

Unless they are counting on more people not to cancel than do?

I would not sign up to see a single project. Aside from annoying, I have enough problems with the idea of cookie tracking or whatever just by my clicking in. I know-there are stealth modes. Maybe if I ever trained myself to do it...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2016, 04:40 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not a blogger nor do I look at many blogs, I might want to click on a pin to read a recipe once in awhile! That's about it. I have a board for my own cards however and what I do is put **photo only ** in the description so people know there is nothing to look for haha. Is that enough to lessen the frustration? I'd like to know for sure.

And would someone tell us how much bloggers make from advertisers if they are relatively successful? I am really curious now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2016, 05:09 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
On the pop-ups, I hate they don't all put that (tiny) cross in the same place! You automatically go to where it usually is, then find you've clicked a link instead!
Not only that, but if there is one, it's often tiny and almost the same color as its background.

I just exit those blogs. I follow only one craft blog and two genealogy blogs. No more. Sorry to those of you who require a sign up to view, but I don't have the inclination to participate. There's plenty of other content that doesn't have those requirements.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2016, 07:34 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardmaker2View Post
I'm not a blogger nor do I look at many blogs, I might want to click on a pin to read a recipe once in awhile! That's about it. I have a board for my own cards however and what I do is put **photo only ** in the description so people know there is nothing to look for haha. Is that enough to lessen the frustration? I'd like to know for sure.

And would someone tell us how much bloggers make from advertisers if they are relatively successful? I am really curious now!
For the first question, I can only speak for myself, but yes, I would be less frustrated with a "photo only" note. And for cards, that is often all I want, anyway.

For the second question... I am under the (possibly wrong) impression that you really can make good money this way, if you're willing to work hard, and you have a successful blog, but speaking from personal experience:

I have no pop-ups. I have no "ads" within my posts (just a couple in the sidebar, only products and vendors I use and love). I do have links to the products I use on my cards, because I like seeing those on other blogs. And I do get a VERY small amount if/when someone uses "some" of those links to buy something. I've determined not to do anything with my blog that I wouldn't like to see on someone else's blog, but I have to wonder...

how many people are doing that because it's the only way for them to have a blog? Yes - you can put together a totally free blog... but you can't choose your own domain name, and you're limited to what you can do with it. I am paying for my site, so I can say I "own" it. I am paying for my domain name. I'm paying for those cute little product icons (whether or not I'm an affiliate). And I'm going broke, LOL. Just saying that there's another side. But again, I'm not doing any pop-ups or forced subscriptions because I understand your frustration.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2016, 07:36 AM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardmaker2View Post

That sounds reasonable to me! Usually when I am in Pinterest I only want a pic to copy for something like birthday cake for an online friend anyway.

I am curious too about the $$. I'm guessing it's low and it's a volume game.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2016, 07:57 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I am curious too about the $$. I'm guessing it's low and it's a volume game.
Yes, very much a volume game. The amount you get for "just clicks" is really teeny tiny. The amount you get when someone buys something from a link is better. The bloggers that are "forcing" you to subscribe are hoping to gain long-term visitors. When you subscribe, they can send you an e-mail each time they post - and hopefully, it will entice you to come visit again.

It can be a win-win, if it's done right. I'm currently subscribed to Jennifer McGuire's and Kristina Werner's blogs, and I love seeing their e-mails regarding new posts. Sometimes they tell me about good sales, which I also appreciate, even knowing that they will benefit if I follow their link and buy something. Neither one of them actually sells any cards, but they are both making a living as card-makers. They do make some of that by designing products for stamp companies (Kristina, at least), but I'd be willing to bet that a lot of that income is from just blogging.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2016, 08:30 AM   #19  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BashfulStamperView Post
Yes, very much a volume game. The amount you get for "just clicks" is really teeny tiny. The amount you get when someone buys something from a link is better. The bloggers that are "forcing" you to subscribe are hoping to gain long-term visitors. When you subscribe, they can send you an e-mail each time they post - and hopefully, it will entice you to come visit again.

It can be a win-win, if it's done right. I'm currently subscribed to Jennifer McGuire's and Kristina Werner's blogs, and I love seeing their e-mails regarding new posts. Sometimes they tell me about good sales, which I also appreciate, even knowing that they will benefit if I follow their link and buy something. Neither one of them actually sells any cards, but they are both making a living as card-makers. They do make some of that by designing products for stamp companies (Kristina, at least), but I'd be willing to bet that a lot of that income is from just blogging.

Trust me... there are very few people (especially crafters) who can make a living by just blogging. Nobody is getting rich or even paying the bills. I am happy to click on a link to buy something and give someone a few pennies when they've taken the time to create a great tutorial or project. It's no money out of my pocket. It just gives them credit like when you go into a store and the salespeople get a commission.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2016, 04:31 PM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks all for the info, it clears up a few questions and curiosities I have
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2016, 06:50 PM   #21  
Proud Fan Club Member

Yes, thank you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2016, 07:14 PM   #22  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Quote:

slightly off subject, but on the point about wanting to find out more about a project. I hate it when I click on something on Pinterest, maybe because I want to find out more about the technique, or products, only to find that it just leads to an image. Someone just pinned an image, with no back link. Drives me nuts!
YES! This is very disappointing. Can't get the info you want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2016, 08:08 PM   #23  

I've got friends that blog for profit and use pop up subscription boxes. I've not yet come across one that you couldn't read their blog content just on a whim. Their blogs are to get a reader following and you can't get a reader following without getting someone to read your blog first.

But I am also a paid subscriber to content/courses behind the blog 'shop front'. No, it's not for the casual visitor. Yes, they did offer something, in my opinion, worth paying for, but that never came up thru a pop up. I'm curious to see the sites that some are having this pop-up/lock-out trouble with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2016, 06:29 AM   #24  
Kookie Creator

I could read the page but the black box asking me to subscribe/sign in took up half the page. I had an "aha" moment about this yesterday. It only happens when I'm on my i-pad and for some reason the page I'm looking at goes through blog-loving app ( I think that's the correct name) which is who wants me to join.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2016, 09:06 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 243 Likes on 129 Posts

I ignore the subscription boxes with the X or by using the ESC key if I'm truly interested in visiting the site. When I'm just browsing around & ended up there with no actual interest ... I just move on. 99% of the time I never subscribe simply as a matter of keeping control of excess incoming emails.

Anyone remember those awful music apps bloggers used to add? Open the blog and suddenly you're listening to blaring music? Music of someone else's choosing? OMGosh ... I could never escape out of those places fast enough. I'm in "quiet" mode when I'm online. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2016, 10:34 AM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketdivaView Post
I could read the page but the black box asking me to subscribe/sign in took up half the page. I had an "aha" moment about this yesterday. It only happens when I'm on my i-pad and for some reason the page I'm looking at goes through blog-loving app ( I think that's the correct name) which is who wants me to join.
You can block pop-up ads on the iPad, but it won't necessarily eliminate subscription pop-ups since they aren't ads, if that makes sense. I subscribe to bloglovin but the blogs I visit act the same whether I go through bloglovin or not.

Just in case your pop-up blocker isn't turned on, if you're using Safari, go to Settings > on the left scroll down to Safari > on the right-hand list under General, swipe to turn on Block Pop-Ups.)

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2016, 10:40 AM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGrammyView Post
I ignore the subscription boxes with the X or by using the ESC key if I'm truly interested in visiting the site. When I'm just browsing around & ended up there with no actual interest ... I just move on. 99% of the time I never subscribe simply as a matter of keeping control of excess incoming emails.

Anyone remember those awful music apps bloggers used to add? Open the blog and suddenly you're listening to blaring music? Music of someone else's choosing? OMGosh ... I could never escape out of those places fast enough. I'm in "quiet" mode when I'm online. ;)
Similarly, I don't get why bloggers sometimes keep music on talking. Even if what they're saying and doing is wonderful, I have to leave. Sometimes the music is louder than their voice. Even if not, it can be distracting unless very carefully chosen.

Or sometimes they stop talking to fast forward through the project, which is 100% fine, and they play music during that time. That's okay - unless the music suddenly loudly blares. Not good when watching a video quietly while someone is trying to sleep.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2016, 12:39 PM   #28  
Watercolor Wizard

Agreed. I prefer no music.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2016, 12:52 PM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

Sorry, I meant to type I don't get why bloggers sometimes keep music on while talking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2016, 01:48 AM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

With you on that TexasGrammy. I hate getting to a blog, and music plays, as you say usually loudly. My son used to have the room opposite my craft room when he still lived at home, and worked nights. So I hated the thought of waking him. I'd leave such blogs instantly, and never go back. We all have different tastes in music, so why a blogger would think everyone is going to enjoy their musical taste is beyond me. I know most people would hate mine! Heavy Metal fan here, rofl!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2016, 05:41 AM   #31  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

With you on that TexasGrammy. I hate getting to a blog, and music plays, as you say usually loudly. My son used to have the room opposite my craft room when he still lived at home, and worked nights. So I hated the thought of waking him. I'd leave such blogs instantly, and never go back. We all have different tastes in music, so why a blogger would think everyone is going to enjoy their musical taste is beyond me. I know most people would hate mine! Heavy Metal fan here, rofl!
There are times I want music and times I dont. I dont when I am trying to learn. I do when I'm in the gallery. So I turn on my own music with Pandora.

I like 70s rock myself Shaz....some heavy metal in there! No one gets how I like both Led Zeppelin and Fleetwood Mac. LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2016, 05:50 AM   #32  
Watercolor Wizard

That would make a fun thread all on its own......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2016, 07:31 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Guilty! Personally, my pinterest pins are just for ME. I'm not concerned about what someone else seeing them later might need... So, if the picture is really all I need for inspiration or CASEing, I might not worry about getting the source/link in there -- I just want to "pin that picture up on a board" for future use. It's like tearing a picture out of a magazine -- sometimes I want the instructions, sometimes not.

When I want to make sure I can get back to where I originally saw a picture, I'll take care to get the link right. Or if it's a recipe or something like that, for sure. Like with a magazine, I'll make sure to rip out all the info I will need later.

But again, my reason for using pinterest is for me and how I will use the pins in the future. So I agree that while it is frustrating when I can't find the source of someone else's pins when I want to, that's fine since I'm not the one that pinned it in the first place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2016, 08:11 AM   #34  
Watercolor Wizard

But, if you found it on a website, usually the link comes along with it. You don't have to even think about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2016, 09:28 AM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

True, but it won't necessarily go right to that particular post -- it can go to the blog home page if you pinned from there. I've clicked on pins that are years old, so it can be tough/impossible to find that particular post on the whole blog.That's what I meant about making sure to get the link right -- pin from a particular day's post rather than the home page.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2016, 02:51 PM   #36  
Watercolor Wizard

Got it. I know exactly what you are talking about.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2016, 05:43 PM   #37  
Insane Embellisher

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

What bothers me about all the blogs I signed up for is all the news letters that use to come once or twice a week. Now they come every day. It makes for too much email to go through at once. As I I'm not on the internet everyday any more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2016, 08:43 AM   #38  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I have noticed that some bloggers have a contact or "email me" box, separate from Comments on creations they post. I think that is wise. Then, like Takinmytyme, we could let bloggers know they are overwhelming readers with too many emails.
They don't have to post on their blog Every Day!
I enjoy getting a email occasionally from Jennifer McGuire. It's always a surprise (and great information).
I understand her husband invented Press N Seal wrap, so I'm sure they don't need her blog dollars.
Reply With Quote Likes