Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-30-2015, 08:55 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Valentine's for Strangers

I hope this is the right place to put this! Please tell me if it's not appropriate. My sister is a Nurse Manager at a facility that does both rehab and end of life care. I mentioned that I was in the mood to create Valentine cards, but didn't have a lot of people to send them to and wondered if she had residents without much family that might like to receive one. She was very excited by idea and is making a list. So, I was hoping maybe our members would have suggestions on cards and/or sentiments that would be appropriate for mostly older strangers. Pictures would be great, if course, but ideas much appreciated. I'm going to work my way through the gallery as well. I have a Cameo, so should be able to cut or use the pens for things I don't have or can't find stamps for. And there's always digi stamps. TIA!

ETA: I have tons of Enchanted Gallery Stamps, so thought done of that kind of old style, romantic images might work well, at least for some of the ladies.

Last edited by ExtraHannah; 12-30-2015 at 09:05 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by ExtraHannah:
barbfarmd (02-01-2023), janesprando (02-01-2023)
Old 12-30-2015, 09:21 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

First of all, I want to say thank you for being such a kind and generous person. Your cards will certainly brighten the day for some of those people.

I think a "Happy Valentine's Day" or "Thinking of You" appropriate. You might want to avoid the blatant "I Love You." I think an attributed quotation is always nice and shows that the words are not your own.

This one cracks me up:
"I don't understand why Cupid was chosen to represent Valentine's Day. When I think about romance, the last thing on my mind is a short, chubby toddler coming at me with a weapon. ~Author Unknown"

Here are links to some Valentine sentiments:
200 Valentine's Day Wishes, Love Poems and Cards
Valentines Day Quotes, Sayings for Your Valentine
The Best Valentine?s Day Sayings, Quotes & Poems for Your Sweetheart | Examiner.com
Valentine's Day Quotes: Best, Most Inspirational Sayings For Spreading The Love On Valentine's Day 2010

P.S. I see you are a long-time SCS member but short-time poster. I do hope that changes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2015, 09:54 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have made lots of cards for strangers in veteran's homes and hospitals, so I know how difficult it is to come up with just the right (you hope) cards. I had NO information about them, not even whether there were any women included, nor their ages. Here are some suggestions based on my own experiences:

*Try to determine the age range of the majority of recipients. It will be helpful in choosing images or sentiments. Knowing their gender would also be helpful.

*Avoid anything religious, unless this is a church-based facility.

*If you can use your computer to generate sentiments (on a banner, label, insert, etc.), that will save you money and allow you a wider range of sentiments.

*I would stick with things like "Sending you a hug", "Wishing you a wonderful day", "Hugs are the perfect gift--they fit all sizes, are appropriate for all ages, are easy to return. I'm sending you one right now!" Also, avoid anything about "get well". Instead, keep it caring or upbeat or even slightly comical.

*You can sometimes go on-line and find free printable images of vintage cards or postcards that might appeal to your reipients, especially if some of them are 75+. I bet you could find some and incorporate the images into your own cards.

*Your sister works with these people. If you have any hesitation about a design or sentiment, just run it past her or someone else who works closely with them.

I'm sure they will love getting cards. I firmly believe that the love and care that all of us crafters put into our work comes shining through. Be sure to put some kind of "handmade by..." stamp or label or handwritten note on the back. It is not meant to call attention to you, but some people never realize that our cards are hand-crafted and if they did, would feel the love in it even more.

Send me a pm if you have any questions I might be able to answer. I know there are a lot of other stampers on SCS who probably have WAY more experience with this than I do (sprtchic is one who comes to mind--I may have misspelled her online name. It's Amber.) I hope they will also offer suggestions.

I congratulate you for doing this. It's a win-win situation! You get to continue to create your cards and do what you love, and they will be going to people who could really use something to brighten their day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2015, 10:11 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

What a lovely thought! I have no experience so will defer to others, but I think it is a lovely idea, and doing them with a vintage/antique feel will cover young at heart recipients as well as the younger aged ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2015, 03:24 PM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

What a lovely thought. That is so nice!! I want to think about this one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2015, 04:28 PM   #6  
Inking Addict

Thank you SO much everyone! What a wonderful, supportive group this is. Your answers have all made me smile. So many wonderful suggestions as well. I'll be going back through the suggestions and links numerous times and will certainly let you know how things go.

I'm also planning to be more active in the forum. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2015, 04:38 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

I just did Christmas cards for the local nursing home. At their request, I signed all the cards "from your secret admirer". The activities director said the seniors always get a kick out of cards signed this way.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Pat in Ohio:
barbfarmd (02-01-2023), RetiredPJ (02-01-2023)
Old 12-30-2015, 07:11 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think greetings like "You're very special" "Hugs and kisses" or "You're tea-riffic" etc. are cute/gentle ways to show support. It may be many decades since someone has heard that! Of course, I went looking for a few example stamp sets and can't find any right now. I think Lawn Fawn and Mama Elephant have done some like that, that I have seen on Jennifer McGuire videos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2015, 05:16 AM   #9  
Inking Addict

More great information! You ladies rock!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2016, 03:23 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just want to add that I think what you are doing is wonderful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2016, 02:49 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

These are all wonderful suggestions!

I do a card ministry for our church and send cards to shut ins and various other people that I don't know. After doing this for a while, I have learned to stamp a sentiment on the inside of the card. That way I don't actually have to write anything. I used to say, "just wanted to let you know you are in our thoughts and prayers. From your friends at McCabe United Methodist." But, really, I'm sending cards out every month and can't say the same thing every time. So, I'm now looking for upbeat sentiments for the insides so I don't have to think of something to say to someone I don't know.

God Bless you for doing this!

P.S. If your sister's list ends up being overwhelming, give a shout out here. I'm sure SCS people would be happy to help you out.

Live each day with kindness, happiness, and a smile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2016, 10:04 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know I'm late, but adding my 2 cents here. Many of the senior set love poetry as many had to recite it in school and most any of my upbeat poems on my thread "Need a Poem" might just fit the bill for those you don't know very well. For example, I just added a poem that might bring a smile called "Valentine Food for Thought."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2016, 05:13 AM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

I am glad this was brought up-I never got back!

and what an AMAZING thread Rush'd Lady has going-I subbed it. Thank you for all that work!

Valentines is just a touchy one to me. People can be missing deceased spouses or the idea that they have been single their whole lives...I asked DH and he said "Thinking of you on Valentine's Day". I'm thinking something/one paying "a visit" is good...cupid, a bird, whatever that a sentiment can be attributed to instead of an unknown person. I cant tell you why I feel like that about V day, I just do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2021, 11:39 PM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Hi, My daughters and their friends are sending 400 Valentine cards to Seniors at local nursing homes. I want to make sure that all the messages are appropriate. They will addressing the card as "Dear Senior" and Ending it with "From your Friends at SSV"

The cards will be handwritten with one of the following messages. Please let me know if any of these should be omitted. Thank you

• May your day be filled with all kinds of cheerful, happy things. Happy Valentine’s Day

• Sending cheerful thoughts to brighten your Valentine’s day

• Sending lots of hugs your way. Happy Valentine’s Day

• Sending extra smiles your way today. Happy Valentine’s Day

• Have a lovely Valentine’s Day filled with extra love

• Hope you have a valentine's day that makes your whole heart Extra Happy.

• Wishing a day filled with happiness. Happy Valentines Day

• Sending you heartfelt wishes for a very special Valentine’s Day

• I sincerely wish you a fun and happy Valentine's Day.

• Hugs are just another name for Love! Sending you hugs this Valentine’s Day!

• A very Happy Valentine’s Day to you. Wishing you a day full of happiness, smiles and beautiful moments.

• Roses are red, violets are blue, sending warm hugs and smiles to you.

• Wishing you a wonderful Valentine’s day

• I don't understand why Cupid was chosen to represent Valentine's Day. When I think about romance, the last thing on my mind is a short, chubby toddler coming at me with a weapon. ~Author Unknown"

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2021, 11:46 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Wonderful ideas from all these stampers! I really like "From your secret admirer".
Jennifer, since you are sending on behalf of a church I highly recommend adding a Bible verse about love. I make cards for our many nursery workers once a month with verses, (and sometimes Mother Teresa quotes), then sign them 'sent with love' and my name. I've even had positive comments on that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2021, 06:25 AM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

I know it is too late but I just saw this....

I don't understand why Cupid was chosen to represent Valentine's Day. When I think about romance, the last thing on my mind is a short, chubby toddler coming at me with a weapon. ~Author Unknown"

This cracked me up!

I have been thinking about my past comment....I think now it is very nice to send a card. Letting people know they are being thought about at ANY time is a good thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2023, 10:50 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My mom just got home from TCU, she would have loved some cards. Bad daughter, never even thought of this!
I'm going to get in touch with them and see if I could do this for the residents and the staff.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2023, 04:10 PM   #18  

Received 275 Likes on 162 Posts

What a great thread! It started in 2015, was revived in 2021, and again revived this month. It is full of wonderful ideas and sentiments!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2023, 05:27 PM   #19  
Inking Addict

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Just made some for my local assisted living facility.
I printed in the computer “happy Valentine’s Day” and “Sending you lots of love” in the front and inside a sentiment “A very Happy Valentine’s Day to you. Wishing you a day full of happiness, smiles and beautiful moments.” I also draw a heart and signed my first name.
I wrote with sharpie in big letters, it’s always helpful for our senior friends to read.

Other sentiments that are simple:

May the celebrations of Valentine’s Day be full of cheers and joys for you. Warm greetings on the occasion of Valentine’s Day.

The occasion of Valentine’s Day inspires us all to stay young and stay romantic in life. A very Happy Valentine’s Day to you.

Celebrations and beautiful moments of joy and happiness are what I wish for you on the occasion of Valentine’s Day. Warm wishes on this beautiful day to you.
Reply With Quote Likes