Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-23-2011, 10:55 AM   #41  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Furry fibers. And wire--the kind that comes in colors and you use a jig to make shapes, and all that whatnot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #42  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prima flowers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 11:32 AM   #43  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by barb smithView Post
IAlso can't use the brayer to save my soul .
My soul sister! I have taken numerous classes, tutorials (on-line and live), read many manuals and books, and can't brayer a sky to save my life. It always looks blotchy - as if a kid smushed their painted fingers onto my cardstock. It just looks so ghastly!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2011, 12:27 AM   #44  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by weimsView Post
How do you make it?
I have several mist recipes. I use everything from acrylic paint, iridescent medium, pearl ex, mica powders, rubbing alcohol and even shimmery eye shadow. Each of the recipes I use come up with a different look. If you google Make Your Own Glimmer Mist you will get a lot of different recipes. I did a cost comparison of making your own Glimmer Mist to buying it. For the most part they average out the same. The only one that came out much cheaper was using acrylic paint and glue. I have all these items on hand in my art room since I use them for painting and other work. I love to make my own custom colors and look.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkin OneView Post
I would LOVE to know how you make these..I don't have any and have never bought it simply because of the horrifc mess I make with glitter..I was afraid I would end up looking like a muppet with it..or worse..my card would look like a chia pet
You could be as beautiful as Miss Piggy. You could have beautiful glitter eye shadow, lol. I hardly get glitter on me except my nose. My poor DH has it on him all the time. My DH has a manly man job. Where he works is all men. They only have one secretary. My poor DH the glitter seems to find him more than me. He doesn't use that stuff, lol. When he goes to work the glitter falls on his co-workers, in his truck, on his boss. He gets a lot of grief about it, lol. His boss is always sweet about giving me things to craft with even though he's all glittered up.

Flower Soft- Rub two styrofoam pieces together until you get a pile of "fluff". Add a couple drops of reinker and mix with a toothpick. Let dry. You can also use Buffalo Snow. The bags of snow stores sale around Christmas to decorate your trees or villages.

Flock- When you distress paper with your scissors all the little pieces that fall off are flock. Distress your paper and gather up the pieces. You now have frugal flock. If you have lil' ones in your home construction paper works really well. Recollection cardstock makes some nice flock too.

I know that Flower Soft and Flock seem to be a bit of hassle to make. Especially the Flock since you can buy Studio G flock for $1. I hardly use these two items when card making so it's easier for me to make my own and less clutter. I can pick the color I want.

You could also buy white Flower Soft and Flock, add a couple drops of reinkers and make your own custom colors too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 09:32 PM   #45  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I hate the circle scissor! I bought it and the cutting mat, then took it back, then got it again! Then I got a big shot and finally could use dies.

I have tried everything...it always moves when cutting no matter what I do. It sits on a shelf. I keep trying to sell.and nobody wants it. Not that I can blame them. :-P
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 05:56 AM   #46  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL at all the glitter comments- especially the cats. My Beloved Husband is always finding glitter in weird & peculiar places- says he doesn't know how I do it! I tell him its just a natural talent I have. Christmastime I look like I was at ground zero when a glitter bomb went off, honestly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 06:56 AM   #47  
Crimping Master

AMEN! I can't use fibers to save my life..not with out it looking like some small critter died..LOL. I did a swap for another online group I am in a cbout a year ago and one stamper sent TONS of fibers..the furry kind (?) and I can't figure out the heck to use them. I give them to the kids. I am going to be purging soon so those suckers are out of here. Never tried the wire and jig but I can only imagine
Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
Furry fibers. And wire--the kind that comes in colors and you use a jig to make shapes, and all that

Oh and all you that can't use a brayer..count me in that too ..can't get the hang of it at all. I think I am just embellishment challenged. I see some of the most amazing things in the gallery but I can't seem to add embellishments and make them look good to save my soul.

Last edited by Inkin One; 11-26-2011 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 07:23 AM   #48  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts
I'm in agreement with many of you on glitter and flock. But my biggest challenge is cutting. Even using my big guillotine, can't get sides of a base card or layers to be straight/even. Can't drarw a straight line with a ruler either. Lots of cards I don't show are because of this problem. Could my cutters all be warped, or just my head! hee, hee And photographing my cards, don't get me started.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2011, 06:34 PM   #49  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by PedalPowerView Post
I can't seem to use Glimmer Mist products. I end up with rolled up, sopping wet paper. Every. Time.
I gave up on using Glimmer Mist on paper too. I saw a tutorial once that said once the paper dries,you need to iron it flat. WHAT? I don't iron clothes ,much less paper!

I DO like to use it to dye cream seam binding custom colors. Spritz,smoosh it around and use heat gun to dry. Voila! You can also dye paper or fabric flowers with it too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2011, 11:56 AM   #50  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by zipperc98View Post
I hate the circle scissor! I bought it and the cutting mat, then took it back, then got it again! Then I got a big shot and finally could use dies.

I have tried everything...it always moves when cutting no matter what I do. It sits on a shelf. I keep trying to sell.and nobody wants it. Not that I can blame them. :-P
Ok, this had me chuckling. I love LOVE the Circle Scissor! Which one do you have? I love the Circle Scissor Pro--I think it's the basic one and the Plus is more deluxe?

Anyhoo, did you get a cutting MAT or a GLASS mat to use with it? If you're using a regular cutting mat with it, that is one thing that will cause a lot of grief. You need a glass mat with that tool.

I also figured out if I sprayed it with a light coating of temporary/removable spray adhesive, like Krylon, that holds the paper in place completely on the mat so it doesn't shift at all, and then I can cut circles like nobody's business!

I use a little metal spatula like the accessory one that Making Memories or Cricut makes for their electronic cutters to lift the paper up from the glass mat and it works GREAT!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2011, 02:51 PM   #51  
Insane Embellisher

I cannot grasp the concept of the Stampamajig thing to save my life. I've watched videos, had someone show me and I still forget how it works!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #52  
Hardware Hotshot

Wheel challenged here. After years of trying everything from guide rulers to unmounting, I finally decided to sell all my ink cartridges and wheels. Still trying to unload a few wheels and wheel cases!

I'm not a big CAD user, either. Never use the SAMJ because I'm more of an eye-baller sort of gal. ;)

I am planning on getting rid of my chalks, too. I'm not a big fan of anything messy, and whenever I try to chalk anything, I end up with a hot mess!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2011, 04:55 PM   #53  
Embossing Fanatic

For using the chalk pastels, try this: Stamp with the Versamark ink, then use cotton swabs or little pom-poms to apply the chalk pastels to the Versamark. It's a quick and easy way to color the images, and it looks great, and it sticks to the Versamark. Good luck! You might find your chalk pastels to be your favorite after you try this technique!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2011, 08:56 PM   #54  
Glitter Guru

Received 862 Likes on 513 Posts
Smile

I don't know if chalks and chalk pastels are the same; thinking not. But I like to color images with chalk using a blending pen. A friend of mine taught me that, and I love it.
Remember the Fiskars shape cutter? I hated that thing! I got it to work right a few times, but had a terrible time with it. Couldnt' work the Martha Stewart circle cutter well either. I like the coluzzle (although I do distress the edges of the cuts sometimes to cover my boo boos) and the creative memories cutting system.
Haven't tried my brayer yet. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #55  
Kookie Creator

It's the wheels that I don't do well. Anything that makes me clench my jaws together when I am using it makes me crazy. Dental implants are far too expensive so I don't do wheels any more. I love the idea of them, but not the reality.
(borrowed from the quirkey card sayings thread).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2011, 07:38 AM   #56  
kraf*T*y mama

Tim Holtz Distress Embossing Powders - I just don't get them or like the results

and speaking of Tim the only thing I can make with his products are Tags?!?!?! lol

Mama to Kaden, Blake, and Ava

Origami Owl Independent Designer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2011, 12:04 AM   #57  

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
Ok, this had me chuckling. I love LOVE the Circle Scissor! Which one do you have? I love the Circle Scissor Pro--I think it's the basic one and the Plus is more deluxe?

Anyhoo, did you get a cutting MAT or a GLASS mat to use with it? If you're using a regular cutting mat with it, that is one thing that will cause a lot of grief. You need a glass mat with that tool.

I also figured out if I sprayed it with a light coating of temporary/removable spray adhesive, like Krylon, that holds the paper in place completely on the mat so it doesn't shift at all, and then I can cut circles like nobody's business!

I use a little metal spatula like the accessory one that Making Memories or Cricut makes for their electronic cutters to lift the paper up from the glass mat and it works GREAT!
I have the exact one SU! carries, except mine is pink. Circle Scissors Plus I believe. Yup, have the glass mat. I put tombo on the feet to help hold it in place, and removeable adhesive like crazy on the back of whatever I cut. and it still moves.

Really I don't ever use circles unless my BS dies cut them now. Unfortunately it limits my sizes...but I am mostly just a card maker....good news is I can't get rid of the thing for nothing! So maybe I will keep trying to use it. lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #58  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by CynamomView Post
Me either!! But somehow I keep buying it, thinking, "This will be the magic bottle that works for me!" ... so dumb!
OMG! This is me! I keep thinking the next bottle is the solution.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #59  
Die Cut Diva

Flowersoft. Whenever I've tried to use it, it looks horrible. I keep thinking I might make it work but it looks like someone threw up on my card.

Check out my blog

Here's my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2011, 11:00 AM   #60  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I would LOVE to know how you make these..I don't have any and have never bought it simply because of the horrifc mess I make with glitter..I was afraid I would end up looking like a muppet with it..or worse..my card would look like a chia pet
I would love to know how to make flock also.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2011, 01:51 AM   #61  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheabellaView Post
I would love to know how to make flock also.

Check post #44 for the recipe.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2011, 08:38 AM   #62  
Crimping Master

Any dark Smoosh Spritz stuff. I may as well just leave the card out in the rain, it would look better! I ruined a perfectly good card with a dark brown Spritz and both went into the trash. I have one homemade shimmer mist that is made with the white shimmer paint and alcohol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2011, 03:47 PM   #63  
Pearl-ExPert

I can't sew on a card or use flowers even tho I have gobs of them!

Last edited by Scrapfever2; 12-14-2011 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: quote didn't work
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #64  
Mad Swapper

Smile

Quote:

For me it is glitter! ~shudders~ I love the look of sparkle I see on someone elses design..but I can't for the life of me use it with out getting it EVERYWHERE. My 7yo dd LOVES "sparkles" but I must confess I got rid of all but on thing of glitter and I keep it hidden. I love embossing powders but for some reason seem to spill that every where too..but I keep on using it. It is just the glitter..maybe repressed memories from my childhood art classes and getting it in my eye?? :???:IDk..LOL

I know what you mean. I can't walk through a craft store or a craft room without getting glitter on my face!! Plus, whenever I breathe, when I use glitter, POOF!, it's everywhere!!!! Aaaaahhhhhh!!!!! Not good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2011, 08:02 PM   #65  
Kookie Creator

Oh my goodness. It hasd to be glitter and ribbons for me. I can barely do a Nellie Knot!! I sure as heck can't seem to master the glitter. I got some for my Christmas cards and I my DH is still vacuuming up the stuff!! I doubt I will ever use glitter again. I might tackle the Stickles. That might be easier for me! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2011, 08:02 PM   #66  
Kookie Creator

Oh my goodness. It has to be glitter and ribbons for me. I can barely do a Nellie Knot!! I sure as heck can't seem to master the glitter. I got some for my Christmas cards and I my DH is still vacuuming up the stuff!! I doubt I will ever use glitter again. I might tackle the Stickles. That might be easier for me! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2011, 04:59 AM   #67  
Die Cut Diva

Mine is any kind of spray-on sparkle, regardless of brand (you know, like Glimmer Mist or Mr. Huey's). I always get splotchy results and curled or warped paper no matter how far away I hold the bottle from the paper or how lightly I try to spray. Oh, and BTW, it's surprising how hard it is to get that off of clothes - amazing stuff, that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2011, 09:29 AM   #68  

For those that can't use the stamp wheels...youtube how to make multiple stamps out of the wheels....great idea!!!! And LOTS of stamps for the money!!!!! Just an idea to "reuse" those!!!
Reply With Quote Likes