Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   What one product can you just not use? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/what-one-product-can-you-just-not-use-542769/)

Inkin One 11-21-2011 04:35 AM

What one product can you just not use?

For me it is glitter! ~shudders~ I love the look of sparkle I see on someone elses design..but I can't for the life of me use it with out getting it EVERYWHERE. My 7yo dd LOVES "sparkles" but I must confess I got rid of all but on thing of glitter and I keep it hidden. I love embossing powders but for some reason seem to spill that every where too..but I keep on using it. It is just the glitter..maybe repressed memories from my childhood art classes and getting it in my eye?? :???:IDk..LOL

MelDeLlanos 11-21-2011 05:17 AM

LOL You need Stickles!! :) No mess, lots of sparkle!

I think for me it's glitter too. I have a tough time keeping it tidy as well, no matter how hard I try! Right up there with that is flocking. It gets lumpy!! LOL

Inkin One 11-21-2011 05:36 AM

is flocking the same as Flower soft? I haven't used either..but if there is any kind of "glue and dust" to it ..I am positive I would find a way to spill it or get it everywhere....hahah

RosieLP 11-21-2011 05:41 AM

ROFL...Definitely go with Stickles.

For me it's a scoreboard. Doesn't matter which scoreboard I've tried (Score-Pal, Martha Stewart, SU) those things hate me. And I've tried to make friends with each of these scoreboards by using little plastic creaser thingy they come with as well as a stylus...they still hate me. LOL

jackie1 11-21-2011 06:06 AM

I would have to go with the glitter as well. I don't mind that it leaves a mess while I am making the card, but it looks terrible on the card when I do it. I still have most of my glitter hoping that I will come across a video or instructions on how to use it properly and so it looks nice on my card.

KatarinaM 11-21-2011 07:22 AM

Copic airbrush. I still have the original can of air it came with, almost full...

gram2boyz 11-21-2011 07:27 AM

Yeah, glitter makes a mess, that's why I love my clear glitter pen! It goes where I want and stays where I want. I even use glitter nail polish now and then, if I want to cover a larger area.

One word of advice, don't use embossing powder under a celing fan! Ask me how I know.

RubberLady603 11-21-2011 08:12 AM

For me it's flock and Flower soft. I gave them all away. It always looked silly and out of place when I used it. Not to mention the mess......Too bad because I have seen some spectacular cards with both flock and flower soft. Just not for me I guess.

melissa59 11-21-2011 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gram2boyz (Post 18943166)
One word of advice, don't use embossing powder under a celing fan! Ask me how I know.

LOL ... I could easily see myself doing this! Thanks for the advice!!

My product to hate is Glimmer Mist.
No matter how much shaking, how much sprayer rinsing, I could not get a decent look with that stuff.

It didn't shimmer, shine, sparkle or anything. And it didn't "mist". I could have gotten better results using a strong Kool-Aid solution and toothbrush.

And talk about mess! The first time I used the stuff I had splatters all over my desk.

jkstieber 11-21-2011 08:55 AM

I'm with you on the glitter, I can't get it to work, and to be honest, I don't get much better even with Stickles! If I want any sparkle, I have to just stick with those Sakura Stardust pens.

Another thing I never could do was use the SU wheels. The wheel guide didn't help either, so I ended up selling the few wheels I had.

One more thing - the Bow Easy. I don't know why I struggle with this thing so much, but I do. That's something that's even had me in tears. I do think if I used it more I wouldn't have the problems I do, but I seem to always forget a step somewhere.

Karenwhite 11-21-2011 11:11 AM

As far as glitter goes, glitter glue is the best for the 7year old - its not very expensive, and stickles and distress stickles for you - mind you they are not cheap either, but I love mine. Also I use embossing powder that is called "Hologram ..." the "..." being the colour, such as clear, gold, silver, and a few other colours the results are just so dramatic, especially the gold, it looks like you have used real gold on your project...

My big cannot use though I love it are chalk pastels. I got a box of them from SU when I was a Dem, and although I have messed around a little with them, I can't seem to use them.

I will say, with most products if I get to a point where I have put out good money for something, or a lot of money, as for example, the chalk pastels, I try to look for instructions/tutorials on the internet and teach myself to use them. But I still have to do this for these, and think it may be some sort of actual mental block .....

lutheran 11-21-2011 11:51 AM

Mine is wide (1" and over) ribbon. Always looks too big and too lumpy. I have a bit that I am trying to use up on 12x12" scrapbook pages but I would like my cards to look like some of the masterpieces in the gallery with wide ribbon.
Mary Beth

DianeinSparks 11-21-2011 12:56 PM

Glitter for me too, used it once that was enough! Stickles and glitter pens from now on. And wide ribbon too, finally used all mine up on packages.

PedalPower 11-21-2011 01:53 PM

I can't seem to use Glimmer Mist products. I end up with rolled up, sopping wet paper. Every. Time.

Inkin One 11-21-2011 02:36 PM

Oh..I forgot ribbon. I can't seem to use ribbon no matter the size. It just looks awful to me ( on my cards that is). It looks fantastic on others works that I see in the gallery..but I can't do it.

sewnmachine 11-21-2011 04:25 PM

Mine is the MS micro beads. I have a whole packaged set of them -plus a few other choice metallic colors.

And ohhhhh how I want to use them. But all of my results are awful. So, they sit on a shelf.

Beaglelover 11-21-2011 04:38 PM

Glitter for sure and.......

the CAD. Yes, it's true. I just don't have the dexterity in my hands to use one. Would probably end up in the ER !:)

piano5678 11-21-2011 04:39 PM

I agree with glitter - after a card class last spring, I have decided NEVER to use glitter in a class again. I think there was even glitter on my cats!!

Inkin One 11-21-2011 05:09 PM

HEHE..this made me giggle.. because I too have found glitter on my cats..hahahha...QUOTE=piano5678;18944680]I agree with glitter - after a card class last spring, I have decided NEVER to use glitter in a class again. I think there was even glitter on my cats!![/QUOTE]

EvaC 11-21-2011 05:26 PM

Crop A Dile Big Bite...It's all bad!

KathiR 11-21-2011 05:26 PM

Glitter looks pretty on cats.

I have a problem with Stickles. They look ghastly when I use them, so I use glitter with a Quickie Glue pen.

Wide ribbon looks dreadful when I use it.

I'm really bad at using flower clusters, especially the 3D roses I had to have in a variety of colors. I always end up taking them off projects because they look so horrible.

kphorse 11-21-2011 05:40 PM

Ceiling fan, Flower Soft and my Queensland Heeler...She looked so cute in pink fluff! it's been over 6 months and I'm still finding little bits here and there...

Karenwhite 11-21-2011 06:10 PM

Oh Pedalpower, I so hear you with the glimmer mist. There has to be a secret... ;)

uncbballfan 11-21-2011 06:23 PM

Not so much a product, but PAISLEY. In any form: stamps, paper, dies. I love it, but can't use it on a card at all to my satisfaction.

I've had good luck with Glimmer Mist, by holding it far away from whatever I'm spraying. At least when the mister will work.

Jill with a G 11-21-2011 06:54 PM

I am not a fan of Glitter either. I do like Stickles though! Love that stuff. The color and sparkle stays just where you want it! Not too big a fan of flowersoft either. I like it on other people's projects, but I am not too big on using it myself.
I find the secret to Glimmer Mist is to have a lot of space, and have a paint catcher. You can make one out of cardboard, or buy one at a local LSS. I spray with a sweeping motion and start spraying before the desired piece is to be covered. It catches enough of the spray, and misses most of the glops that sometimes come out of the first part of the mist.

Meechelle 11-21-2011 07:03 PM

I can't stitch on a card, to save my life! Sewing maching, needle & thread...you name it. My Grandmother would be so ashamed of me, LOL!

barb smith 11-21-2011 07:09 PM

I can't seem to use ribbon of any sort, a child in kindergarten could do better. Also can't use the brayer to save my soul .

lylacfey 11-21-2011 10:35 PM

I heart glitter. I am such a bling bling girl it's not funny. I have a whole box full of glitter that I love to admire. I don't use glitter glue. I make my own "Stickles." Why waste all that pretty glitter in my box for something mundane? :) Then I can admire all my little containers of homemade Stickles.

I make my own flock and flower soft too. I don't have any jars of those items in my home. I make my own glimmer mist. I love chalk pastels. I have always loved them since I was a child.

Scoreboard- I am trying to love them. I have owned four scoreboards. Honestly, I am missing something. They are wonderful if you are making a mass amount of cards. I hardly do that. I use my paper trimmer to score lines the most. What is sad about this I use my Xacto Knife and ruler to cut most of the time. My paper trimmer has become my scoreboard. I like the look my paper trimmer makes over my scoreboards. I have this thing about a perfect scored line. Oh, don't even get me started when your stylus or bone folder skips the line with the scoreboard.

Don't faint I am not into Distress inks. I am sorry. :( I don't get them. I guess it's because I love to watercolor. I figured out how Tim has made the Distress inks. It's a bit complicated but I can recreate it. I like my version better.

Owning 300+ Copics. I am not into that either. I love Copics and have quite a few. I am crazy for the brush tip. Owning three hundred colors gives me panic attacks. I know that's silly since I own all the Sharpies, Bics and Prisma's. I will be buying Pro markers in the near future. I probably already have three hundred markers.

Scrapjanny 11-22-2011 03:00 AM

Flock. I never could get the hang of it. Whenever I've used it, I've ended up with a lumpy, warped mess. I also have a hard time with embossing powders that contain glitter. They just don't seem to give a raised effect. I love glitter by itself and use it frequently. Cats do look good in glitter, but big dogs look better. :)

Cynamom 11-22-2011 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RosieLP (Post 18942840)
ROFL...Definitely go with Stickles.

For me it's a scoreboard. Doesn't matter which scoreboard I've tried (Score-Pal, Martha Stewart, SU) those things hate me. And I've tried to make friends with each of these scoreboards by using little plastic creaser thingy they come with as well as a stylus...they still hate me. LOL

You know, I am glad it's not just me! I try to accurately cut my CS into regular card size, then I take it to the ScorPal to score then fold, but it's always about an eighth of an inch or so off! I do like it for just scoring lines though....

Cynamom 11-22-2011 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PedalPower (Post 18944152)
I can't seem to use Glimmer Mist products. I end up with rolled up, sopping wet paper. Every. Time.

Me either!! But somehow I keep buying it, thinking, "This will be the magic bottle that works for me!" ... so dumb!

Cynamom 11-22-2011 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barb smith (Post 18945118)
I can't seem to use ribbon of any sort, a child in kindergarten could do better. Also can't use the brayer to save my soul .

Same here. I love how they use ribbon in magazines, but my bows are never that neat looking and while a good ribbon/bow looks great, a bad one is AWFUL!

KathiR 11-22-2011 08:17 AM

Glimmer Mist: Have you tried putting a largish plastic bead in the bottle? (alphabet or pony bead size). It helps mix it up when you shake it, though people way you're supposed to gently swirl it.

wifelady 11-22-2011 08:43 AM

Mine are the Alcohol Inks by Tim Holtz -- I don't use glossy paper or metal embellishments that I can "color" with the inks! Here's another one - I also have the Tim Holtz Fragments - the rectangle/square ones - I've used these only a few times. I like the concept but I'm mainly a CAS-girl so I don't use a lot of embellishments on one card at a time.

lylacfey 11-22-2011 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KathiR (Post 18946420)
Glimmer Mist: Have you tried putting a largish plastic bead in the bottle? (alphabet or pony bead size). It helps mix it up when you shake it, though people way you're supposed to gently swirl it.

That's a brilliant idea! I love it. Added bonus if you use a white bead when your Glimmer Mist bottle is empty you will have a pretty colored bead. I have a ton of pony beads. I can't wait to try this. Thanks for sharing.

weims 11-23-2011 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfey (Post 18945524)
I make my own glimmer mist.

How do you make it?

birdbrain 11-23-2011 05:06 AM

I was reorganizing my stamping supplies yesterday and came across Heat and Stick Powder and a glue pad. I wondered why the heck I was still hanging onto those things, because I'm a total failure when it comes to using them.

Cook22 11-23-2011 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weims (Post 18948974)
How do you make it?

I make mine with water, distress re-inkers and some Perfect Pearls shaken up in a little mini-mister. I'm pretty sure I came across that in a Tim Holtz tutorial.

Inkin One 11-23-2011 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfey (Post 18945524)
I heart glitter. I am such a bling bling girl it's not funny. I have a whole box full of glitter that I love to admire. I don't use glitter glue. I make my own "Stickles." Why waste all that pretty glitter in my box for something mundane? :) Then I can admire all my little containers of homemade Stickles.

I make my own flock and flower soft too. I don't have any jars of those items in my home. I make my own glimmer mist. I love chalk pastels. I have always loved them since I was a child.

Scoreboard- I am trying to love them. I have owned four scoreboards. Honestly, I am missing something. They are wonderful if you are making a mass amount of cards. I hardly do that. I use my paper trimmer to score lines the most. What is sad about this I use my Xacto Knife and ruler to cut most of the time. My paper trimmer has become my scoreboard. I like the look my paper trimmer makes over my scoreboards. I have this thing about a perfect scored line. Oh, don't even get me started when your stylus or bone folder skips the line with the scoreboard.

Don't faint I am not into Distress inks. I am sorry. :( I don't get them. I guess it's because I love to watercolor. I figured out how Tim has made the Distress inks. It's a bit complicated but I can recreate it. I like my version better.

Owning 300+ Copics. I am not into that either. I love Copics and have quite a few. I am crazy for the brush tip. Owning three hundred colors gives me panic attacks. I know that's silly since I own all the Sharpies, Bics and Prisma's. I will be buying Pro markers in the near future. I probably already have three hundred markers.

I would LOVE to know how you make these..I don't have any and have never bought it simply because of the horrifc mess I make with glitter..I was afraid I would end up looking like a muppet with it..or worse..my card would look like a chia pet :)

Allistamps123 11-23-2011 08:30 AM

I love glitter but I am scoring challenged, at least when it comes to follwing measurements at a workshop!