Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #881  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheabellaView Post
Happy Birthday. :grin:
Thank you! It's today. I am not celebrating today but this weekend. My loved ones have been spoiling me all month though. I do think my DH has something planned. I can tell even though he's being all sneaky, lol. No, it's not a surprise party. Nobody would do that to me or my DH, lol.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #882  
Die Cut Diva

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

My son wanted to order a "skin" for his laptop and he got a catalog of samples. Each sample was only about 2.5" by 1.5" but they were beautiful wood grained pieces and like stickers that you could pull up, remove the backing and stick down somewhere else. He thought I could come up with some way to use them in my crafts so he gave me the samples. I was thrilled - but stumped. After much though, I was able to make some great cards using the pieces as a mosaic background. Pictures of two cards and one blank background are attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Ways to make do instead of  buy new-img_4698.jpg   Ways to make do instead of  buy new-img_4699.jpg   Ways to make do instead of  buy new-img_4700.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #883  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 255 Likes on 138 Posts

Louise,
I love what you did with the little stickers. Now I'm thinking I could do the same with real wood veneers and left over wood grain papers. TFS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2012, 08:49 PM   #884  
Matboard Maniac

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Subbing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2012, 03:17 AM   #885  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Thank you! It's today. I am not celebrating today but this weekend. My loved ones have been spoiling me all month though. I do think my DH has something planned. I can tell even though he's being all sneaky, lol. No, it's not a surprise party. Nobody would do that to me or my DH, lol.
Awe Happy Birthday DeeAnn. Thank you for all your help! Hope you have a wonderful day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2012, 04:50 AM   #886  
Die Cut Diva

Thank you River Isis for the sweet wishes. Big Hugs to you.

I have some more make do's.

Gesso Alternative- Use white acrylic paint & sand between each coat. On a normal art canvas that has not been gessoed artists use six coats of acrylic paint. On cardstock you can use two to three coats.

I make my own Gesso with this recipe- How to Make Traditional Gesso Using Acrylic Glue - wikiHow. This is more of an expensive route to go. My DH works for a company who has these supplies on hand so we get them free. A little takeout container full of ingredients last a lifetime for my DH & I.

Fabric Paint- If you like to use Fabric Paint but don't want to store all the colors you can buy Textile Medium. Mix Textile medium with acrylic paint. It's just that easy. You will find Textile Medium in the deco paint department at your craft store. This is the section with all the Folk Art, Americana brands of paint. The Textile medium will be with the other mediums. You can also buy it at WalMart sometimes. Textile Medium also is called Fabric Medium.

I was Googling doll techniques the other night and came across this Dremel tip article on Tyra's Cloud 9 stamp site- Tyra Smith, Cloud 9, Tips & Techniques. Lots of great dremel ideas but I don't know what it had to do with dolling, lol. Google search results are so funny.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #887  
Mad Swapper

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Whew! Lindsay, I�m glad your studio is far from the furnace. I wish my little crafting area looked half as good as yours. And by the way, your daughter is so cute � I caught the crayon craft article on your blog. Sounds like she had a good time!

Notice ladies/gents, I didn�t say anything about NOT using a paperback romance novel to craft with. *smile* In fact, I have one that I use for paper crafting � it has pages falling out right and left. It wasn�t manufactured to last.
Most paper ephemera is made to be short-lived and temporary.
Lindsay, I can see why you wouldn�t want to spend a dollar to photocopy a 25 cent novel. I wouldn�t either. However, some crafters don�t think about the historical value of vintage documents (1940s or earlier) first before they alter them in some way. Like defacing an antique first edition hardback book to remove prints or maps for the sake of their art.
The only ones that I can say with a certainty that I might destroy would be books & magazines that aren�t fit for decent folks to read � I won�t name any titles because I know there are probably fans out there of the particular ones I�m thinking of. Those antique valentines I purchased at a flea market were in a zippy bag for eight dollars with other bits of ephemera like calling cards, a thank you card, a bank advertising postcard, and an old preprinted business calendar like you get free during the holidays. Each of the Valentines had penciled in names written in a childish scrawl on the back of them. I scanned the cards in a group, transcribed all the names and towns listed into a document and shared it with our local historian librarian who happens to be the President of the Missouri Genealogy Society. If you do purchase an old book to alter in some manner, check with your local historical society to see if they would like a transcription & photo of the book for their newsletter/records.
I wanted to use the Valentines I purchased as clipart in a heritage scrapbook and was thinking that I would attach them in a manner that won�t damage them like using a postage stamp hinge on the back or color copying them in one big bunch and individually cutting the copies out. I also thought I might study their placement of color to give me clues on how I might do the same to my stamped images to give them the �feel� of vintage.

I loved my piercing/quilling tool and miss it. My girlfriends all liked to borrow it too when we were crafting together as it had an extra long needle, however, in the light of nearly harpooning Cleo, I just wanted to warn people abt. some of the dangers of homemade tools in the hands of klutzy people like myself. According to my mother, I�m an accident just waiting to happen! *smile* Deeann, I hope you didn�t think I was pointing fingers at your homemade piercer. You don�t have little kids around do you? I thank God for his protection of that little girl and I hope, in spite of that close call, I�ll be invited again to the next shoebox party. They are fun, fun, fun!

Thanks, Joanne, for the dremel tool ideas. At one time I had a portable electric drill until I couldn�t find rechargeable battery packs to fit it anymore. I like that this rotary power tool has more attachments that can be used with it. I kept all the drill bits from my old drill and I think I can use them also in this new tool of mine. Sorry to hear about your new toy Betty. Were you able to take it back and get a replacement?

Store coupons to Harbor Freight? The ones out of the paper? Will they do Ad Match like Michaels?

Okay, I�m going to show my ignorance here. What�s an �amigurumi?�

I want to make a recipe scrapbook when I get round to it. You know how that goes. LOL! One thing I heard about was using food labels in a scrapbook. A girlfriend made a homemade book for me to alter in some way and she had all kinds of different papers in it. One large restaurant-sized can label could be used in like manner.

For inspiration, do you like attending art museums? I have a list of a few midwest art museums on my blog. Have you tried to emulate some favorite artist�s work on your cards? I tried the impressionist Van Gogh once. I kept my art history textbook from college. My favorite commercial greeting card illustrator is Mary Engelbreit. I have many of her licensed products and picture books in my home, mostly gleaned from used bookstores and thrift stores. I also like Anne Griffith.

To give your card background texture, how you tried a �rubbing?� Rubbing a crayon, a pastel stick or coloring pencils over on a piece of paper on top of some bumpy item like buttons, keys, an embossing folder, etc.

Have you left a stamped children�s greeting birthday card just black and white so they can color it in themselves?

Last edited by Rush'd Lady; 09-01-2012 at 12:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #888  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ldumont999View Post
My son wanted to order a "skin" for his laptop and he got a catalog of samples. Each sample was only about 2.5" by 1.5" but they were beautiful wood grained pieces and like stickers that you could pull up, remove the backing and stick down somewhere else. He thought I could come up with some way to use them in my crafts so he gave me the samples. I was thrilled - but stumped. After much though, I was able to make some great cards using the pieces as a mosaic background. Pictures of two cards and one blank background are attached.
What a great idea! These cards look great.

Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2012, 02:58 AM   #889  
Die Cut Diva

I used to edit those romance novels. ;) I have a definite fondness for them and the authors who write them. Right behind me is a beautiful large frame collage made out of all the posters I received over the years of romance novels. Two of my friends who are authors fell in love with the collage. One of my friends busted up in tears she was so touched my Mom used one of her book covers. That collage is a talked about piece in my home. Please nobody feel like you can't deface a romance novel. Most authors love seeing their creations in pretty artwork. Romance industry has the sweetest most decent girls in the world.

I do have lots of kids around me. Children come to visit constantly. My child is long gone and working his way to becoming a doctor. Don't worry I am very safe with children. My friends trust me and my DH.

You will have to talk to Harbor Freight about ad matching. I don't know the store policy. My coupons are sent to me through e-mail. Yes, I do use the newspaper coupons too.

Amigurmi- Amigurumi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Funny story that does go with this thread. I celebrated my B-day yesterday. You never believe what I spent the day doing? Showing loved ones frugal crafting techniques, lol. It was one of those spur of the moment things that came up in conversation. I know it's an oldie but goodie most of us know. Favorite tip was altering embellishments with nail polish. Second favorite tip coloring rhinestones with alcohol markers.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2012, 04:02 AM   #890  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dee Ann, gld to hear your day was fun and crafty! Happy belated birthday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2012, 04:18 AM   #891  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Happy beleate birthday DeeAnn!

Delores-You might like a series of books with CDrom called "Instant Memories" and "Memories of a lifetime" Jonn used to carry them and I've ordered them online before. They are a full color book with scalled vintage artwork AND they come with a CDrom so you can print the pages or just individual peices of art to use in your crafts. The are filled with public domain victorian artwork!

There are also several websites that offer free vintage printables, the Graphics Fairy is probably the best one I know of. Check it out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2012, 04:10 AM   #892  
Die Cut Diva

Thank you for B-day wishes! I don't have any make do things to share. :( I spent the day catching up on episodes of Supernatural & Deadliest Warrior.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2012, 05:22 AM   #893  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ldumont999View Post

Awesome! Your cards look great! TFS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2012, 06:59 AM   #894  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Thank you for B-day wishes! I don't have any make do things to share. :( I spent the day catching up on episodes of Supernatural & Deadliest Warrior.
I love that show (when I get a chance to see it) the brother with the longer hair is adorable!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2012, 07:20 AM   #895  
Die Cut Diva

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks to all who liked the cards I made using the "PC skins samples". It really made me look around for other things that I could use to patchwork a background. Found some old paint sample cards and began cutting them up as well. Obviously they are not self-stick, but using my tape runner I made some lovely pastel backgrounds as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #896  
Mad Swapper

I was digging around in a old file folder and found some other make-do ideas that I don�t think has been mentioned yet on this thread and I also found this list of ephemera categorization =
Ephemera: printed material of transitory or passing interest; i.e. brochures, tickets, etc.
Architectural: items used in buildings; i.e. house numbers, blueprints, hardware, etc.
Domestic/Housewares: items found in a home; i.e. food labels, jewelry, dryer sheets, etc.
Found Objects: unearthed or rescued items; i.e. tumbled glass, sand, game pieces, etc.
Office Supply: items used in an office or at work; i.e. date stamps, etc.
Needlework: sewing notions & other needle handcrafts; i.e. pattern envies, fibers, needle threaders, etc.
Retro Era Ephemera: items from the early 20th century to the 1960s
Vintage Ephemera: items from before the turn of the 20th century; i.e. Victorian paper scrap

What kind of stamping techniques are frugal in nature? The One Sheet Wonder technique comes to mind as it uses one sheet of paper and makes several different cards with little or no waste.

Wind bright electrical tape around tin cans to serve as pencil holders or use old coffee mugs or small terracotta plant pots for your pencil or paintbrush storage. I found a tall narrow wooden audio tape storage shelf at my local thrift store that I plan to use for pencil storage. I turned it sideways and my husband attached a scrap piece of masonite to one of the open sides with gorilla glue. I�m going to hammer tiny nails through the masonite to keep it secure. It will be in front of my work station, so I can just reach for what I need without having to get up and dig through a bunch of pencil boxes.

Find an old metal sheet cake pan to hang on the wall. Glue strong magnets to the backs of mint tins and hang on the sheet pan. Use tins for eyelets and brad storage, etc.

Use an old audio tape rack to store your inkpads in.

Enclose small images with slide or coin mounts as a frame. Or if you have 2 graduating sizes of square punches, make your own with a cereal or tissue box.

Faux leather = brown fun foam, heated with a heat gun, and stamped with a paisley stamp and other designs until cool. Masking tape collaged to cs and antiqued with brown ink or acrylic paint. Grungeboard painted brown and sewn with a blanket stitch.

Hang ribbon & fibers from old clothing hooks, towel racks, kitchen cabinet or door knobs attached to a pegboard. I purchased a set of pegs & hooks from Harbor Freight for my pegboard.

Hang a rope of white Christmas lights above your work station to give yourself a little more illumination.

I purchased a over-the-door shoe pockets from the laundry section at Walmart to store my punches, brass stencils, die-cuts and embossing folders in. There�s even space for my punch buddy at the bottom in a slightly larger pocket

I�m not real fond of using the paper fortunes inside of Chinese fortune cookies (there is a company that inserts scriptures instead inside of fortune cookies), but I have used the tiny strips of paper from the foil-wrapped chocolate kisses candy on ATCs.

And last, but not least, I picked up a magazine from a university museum that somebody left free in the doorway of the library. Have you heard of Rolando Estevez? He co-founded Ediciones Vigia, an independent publishing house located in Cuba. They produce handmade books constructed from collaged repurposed materials. Mr. Estevez designs the first edition of the book and then volunteer artisans craft 200 additional issues based on his design. In planning his designs, he must take into account the availability of materials he uses to ensure the design can be reproduced. Here�s some of the items he has used to produce the books � handmade paper, pen & ink, tin foil, straw, shards of a glass mirror and hand-woven mats made from plant fibers collected on a beach. He also intertwines poetry with his art. Attached to a spine of one book, he made a small cloth bag to be filled with sand to bring the beach to the viewer.

Last edited by Rush'd Lady; 09-04-2012 at 05:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #897  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsaymayView Post
I love that show (when I get a chance to see it) the brother with the longer hair is adorable!
Sweet Sam Winchester. My baby with the puppy dog eyes and sweet, sweet smile. Did you know he married Ruby in real life? I can't stop laughing about that. They just became parents to the cutest son. My DH acts like Bobbie, lol. This does all fit the make do thread. In the next couple of weeks I am going to be making a Supernatural craft project with make do items. I was planning to post it over here. I needed to catch up on my missed episodes before I started.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #898  
Mad Swapper

More ideas: pogs & puzzle pieces. Remember the little �trading� circles with cartoon characters on them that kids used to trade? My son gave me all of his and I�ve purchased more from thrift stores. The �cute, respectable� characters have been used on my cards, atc�s, and nut cannister banks & baskets (glued to front of pleated medallion over center hole) and dark characters have been stripped of the top layer of paper to be reused at a later time. And what does one do when a piece of the puzzle is missing � why use the leftovers to frame a sentiment on a card, that�s what! *smile* (For those of you who live across the big pond, I�ve attached a pic of a cannister bank to this post with a piglet pog attached to the front of one of the pleated medallions that I made as a prize for my Sunday School kids. The 12 x 12 inch scrapbook paper I used to cover these was purchased at Big Lots.)

Lindsay, I have a friend who subscribes to the Dover Publication teacher�s FREE email newsletter and forwards the graphics to me if she sees something I might esp. like. I also have purchased Dover Publication clipart graphic books. At a thrift store recently, I ran across two BIG books of iron-on designs. It�s called the Keepsake Transfer Collection published by Craftways in Berkeley CA; 1980. I can use those images for anything. Also, I did purchase a Broderbund CD called ClickArt Religious Graphics. There are many Victorian images from old postcards on it, however, my hubbin is so cheap/frugal/thrifty, that he refuses to buy any printer ink for my computer. He�d rather purchase an inkpad/reinker set because the initial price is easier on the pocketbook. Thanks for thinking of me though.

What do you use to spray on your cards or atc�s to seal them from humidity? What�s the pros and cons to using lacquer hair spray? Has it turned one of your cards yellow and brittle like I read that it might? I have used Walmart�s store brand of clear spraypaint and it�s probably okay for cards and crafts, right?

I save soda pop bottle lids and smash them. Lots of interesting patterns already printed on most of them. I�ve even been known to pick up smashed ones off the pavement when I see interesting designs and stick them into my pocket! *wink* Yes, they get washed when I get home!
I just picked up our library's system catalog (mymcpl.org - Mid-Continent Public Library) to see what classes they will be offering this fall. Most are free or low-cost. I see there are needlework stitching (Needle Nuts) classes like crocheting, knitting, quilting and weaving. There is a class for �Cards That Pop Up, Flip Up, and Slide.� A Heritage Scrapbooking crop at the Genealogy branch and �Sassy Scrappers� clubs at several other branches. There is a Cemetery Art class. Cookie Cutter Designing, and several beading classes right before the holidays begin. There are fabric trees to make and Christmas Napkins to fold. There�s even duck tape designs like a rose pen or a pencil/pen pouch to make. A snowman coaster to create and a paper plate scarecrow wall hanging. Face Painting and Bell ornaments to make. There are holiday gifts and cards, straw ornaments, origami classes and a gingerbread house place mat program. Aack! An Altered Book Project for teens. . .and papertoy creations (I must check out that book. . .). We have 30 branch libraries in our system and each of the above classes may be offered at one or several branches during the next four months. DeeAnn, do you know what your library system is offering in the way of arts & craft programming?

I found an embossing buddy substitute! Use a new Swiffer cloth.

You probably have most of these items in your home already and can be used for these techniques = bleach (bleach background); bubblewrap (stamping background); coffee (dye); crayons (resist technique); dishwashing soap (bubble background); dust bunnies & dryer fluff (fuzzy fibers); emery board (distressing); flat pencil erasers (homemade stamps/shadow stamping); fruits & vegetables (hammered inks); fusible web (background); Future Floor Wax (faux cloisonn�); Koolaid (dye/scratch n� sniff embossing); liquid food coloring (pouncing/spraypaint/sponging/stippling); make-up brush (stippling/drybrush technique/splatter); masking tape (faux leather/shattered glass); marbles (marbling); clean meat/fruit Styrofoam trays (shadow stamping); paper towels (pouncing/background); pencil/pen (doodling background; eraser stamp); plastic wrap (crinkled chalks); rubberbands (brayer technique); rubber cement (resist); rubbing alcohol (drunken chalks); sand (shaker); scrap paper or notebook paper (masking/background/blender paper); sewing kit (outline); shaving brush (stippled backgrounds); shaving cream (background); sponges (faux postage/shattered glass/inkpad); stencils (sponging/stippling); teabags (dye); tissue paper (casting technique/acetate technique); toilet paper (casting technique); an old toothbrush (wood graining/splatter/dry brush); traveling-sized mister bottles (spraypaint); wax paper (resist technique); and wrapping paper (images/backgrounds).
Attached Thumbnails
Ways to make do instead of  buy new-cannisterbanks.jpg  

Last edited by Rush'd Lady; 09-12-2012 at 05:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2012, 02:29 AM   #899  
Crimping Master

Delores, have you tried off brand printer ink? I have an HP photosmart and I buy a 6 pack from amazon for $6 then return the empties to staples for $2 bach each, it is printing for less than free! Staples just started to accept generic ink so do not worry, you are not tricking them
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #900  
Mad Swapper

Yes, I used to fill my own, then my husband would buy refills from a place by his old job at a computer warehouse, but then we bought a two in one HP printer/scanner and the printer cartridges are much smaller. We also returned the cartridges to the other place for a certain percentage off the cost of the ink, but it sounds like you get a better deal. I wonder if he would go for it? I'll have to ask.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2012, 11:07 AM   #901  
Mad Swapper

Hubby and I went to Michaels last weekend. He was looking for something in particular and asked if I was going to stay in the car. I told him if he thought he was going to get away with going to one of my favorite stores without me, he had rocks in his head! ;) Now that I�m �into� gadgets, I had to sail over to the scrapbook/stamp section and see what new gadgets was in store for my delight.

I saw a pink distresser version of my rotary tool with some of the same tips I have. It was $16.99. Then down the clearance aisle, I saw a heat-resistant stencil for a heat bling tool and I was wondering what I could substitute tool wise? The stencil kit was half the regular retail price, but I figured out that I could make my own flourish stencil for less that that out of maybe an oatmeal cannister or a margarine tub lid. At one of Harbor Freights sales awhile back, I bought a small box of steel eyelet/grommet hole punches, the hammering kind, so I could make all sizes of holes in the lids. I also found a sheet metal hand punch with different sized tips there that works great for punching holes in CD�s with the result that I have my own cheap bling.

My hubbin likes Tim Holtz and wants me to learn his techniques for the vintage look for his heritage scrapbook since his thing is family history. So he picks up whatever is on clearance of Tim�s and this time it was a grungeboard alphabet. Deeann, this craftin� thing is rubbing off on my hubbin! My hubbin also likes the vintage/steampunk looking hardware of Tim�s & 7 Gypsies. Since I�ve not had too much experience in the hardware department what can I substitute? What do I look for at Home Depot and thrift stores? Are alcohol inks & sharpies what I need to �antique� the things?

I also picked up a deep memory box with some old-looking sewing notions inside. Framing it was a painted faux finish that looked like galvanized metal. Anybody have any idea how to get that look?

I also saw a long rickrack diecut I wanted for scrapbooking in the clearance section for cheap, but don�t have the extender plates for my Cuddlebug. I was wondering how I could make my own. They were $19.99 apiece for A plate and C plate and about 13 inches long. I figured by the time I get the 50% off coupons, that diecut plate might be long gone by then. Do you think a wooden board (A plate) & plexiglas (C ) cut the right size and shimmed with paper would work?

Anybody remember paper dresses? Looking through the bookrack at Michael�s, I saw an artist�s book that used paperback book pages to decoupage everything in sight! On the front cover was an old purse covered in newsprint. One could have matching accessories if you covered a purse and shoes in newsprint and glazed them in mod-podge.

Later this week, some of my friends and I got together for lunch and a bookmaking project (see my blog for sample). I needed a piercer awl and after seeing the price on the tool at Michael�s, my hubbin thought he could find me one cheaper and he did. It�s a Stanley brand awl #82-111 and came in a set of 4 tools for $5.88 at Walmart. A girlfriend gave me a cork for the end of it, so I don�t stab myself fishing for it in my tool bag.

And while we were in Walmart�s, back in the stationery department on an endcap, I found a great deal! They had all their colored sharpie markers on clearance for 50 cents apiece and most of the colors were there! I told my husband that copic markers were at least $6.00 apiece at HL and while I won�t get all the marvelous colors they have, I�ll have something to play with at least!

Found these two frugal ideas online =

DIY Search | Rit Dye

SCRAPcast � Blog Archive � SCRAPcast 025 � Anniversary Show

Last edited by Rush'd Lady; 09-22-2012 at 11:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2012, 11:07 AM   #902  
Mad Swapper

Hubby and I went to Michaels last weekend. He was looking for something in particular and asked if I was going to stay in the car. I told him if he thought he was going to get away with going to one of my favorite stores without me, he had rocks in his head! *smile* Now that I�m �into� gadgets, I had to sail over to the scrapbook/stamp section and see what new gadgets was in store for my delight.

I saw a pink distresser version of my rotary tool with some of the same tips I have. It was $16.99. Then down the clearance aisle, I saw a heat-resistant stencil for a heat bling tool and I was wondering what I could substitute tool wise? The stencil kit was half the regular retail price, but I figured out that I could make my own flourish stencil for less that that out of maybe an oatmeal cannister or a margarine tub lid. At one of Harbor Freights sales, I bought a small box of steel eyelet/grommet hole punches, the hammering kind, so I could make all sizes of holes in the lids. I also found a sheet metal hand punch with different sized tips there that works great for punching holes in CD�s with the result that I have my own cheap bling.

My hubbin likes Tim Holtz and wants me to learn his techniques for the vintage look for his heritage scrapbook since his thing is family history. So he picks up whatever is on clearance of Tim�s and this time it was a grungeboard alphabet. Deeann, this craftin� thing is rubbing off on my hubbin! *smile* My hubbin also likes the vintage/steampunk looking hardware of Tim�s & 7 Gypsies. Since I�ve not had too much experience in the hardware department what can I substitute? What do I look for at Home Depot and thrift stores? Are alcohol inks & sharpies what I need to �antique� the things?

I also picked up a deep memory box with some old-looking sewing notions inside. Framing it was a painted faux finish that looked like galvanized metal. Anybody have any idea how to get that look?

I also saw a long rickrack diecut I wanted for scrapbooking in the clearance section for cheap, but don�t have the extender plates for my Cuddlebug. I was wondering how I could make my own. They were $19.99 apiece for A plate and C plate and about 13 inches long. I figured by the time I get the 50% off coupons, that diecut plate might be long gone by then. Do you think a wooden board (A plate) & plexiglas (C ) cut the right size and shimmed with paper would work?

Anybody remember paper dresses? Looking through the bookrack at Michael�s, I saw an artist�s book that used paperback book pages to decoupage everything in sight! On the front cover was an old purse covered in newsprint. One could have matching accessories if you covered a purse and shoes in newsprint and glazed them in mod-podge.

Later this week, some of my friends and I got together for lunch and a bookmaking project (see my blog for sample). I needed a piercer awl and after seeing the price on the tool at Michael�s, my hubbin thought he could find me one cheaper and he did. It�s a Stanley brand awl #82-111 and came in a set of 4 tools for $5.88 at Walmart. A girlfriend gave me a cork for the end of it, so I don�t stab myself fishing for it in my tool bag.

And while we were in Walmart�s, back in the stationery department on an endcap, I found a great deal! They had all their colored sharpie markers on clearance for 50 cents apiece and most of the colors were there! I told my husband that copic markers were at least $6.00 apiece at HL and while I won�t get all the marvelous colors they have, I�ll have something to play with at least!

Found these two frugal ideas online =

http://www.ritdye.com/diy-search-filter/all/359

SCRAPcast � Blog Archive � SCRAPcast 025 – Anniversary Show
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #903  
Pearl-ExPert

I saw a heat-resistant stencil for a heat bling tool and I was wondering what I could substitute tool wise? The stencil kit was half the regular retail price, but I figured out that I could make my own flourish stencil for less that that out of maybe an oatmeal cannister or a margarine tub lid.

If you purchase any of the Nestabilities, save the plastic that they come in as it makes great stencils. If you don't have any, or don't plan to, let me know. I have more of that plastic than I could ever use, and I woud be more than happy to send you some---really! Thanks for a great idea for using stencils I already have or for those I can make with the plastic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #904  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 498 Likes on 276 Posts

I have also used the clear plastic packaging with embossing folders to make interesting textured sheets to use.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2012, 04:12 AM   #905  
Die Cut Diva

I have a funny make do story to share with you. My Mom is 77 years old today. It's her B-day. My Mom has never rubber stamped in her life. She was over at my home last night to celebrate her B-day. I was showing her some of my new stamps. She asked if I could make her some images. I was stamping the images and she now wants me to teach her how to stamp. I am teaching her how to stamp and she is all excited because the techniques I was showing her. She said to me- "I thought stamping was expensive but all of this is really cheap!" ROFL! She was so super excited. All the things I was showing her were techniques I have learned at SCS and on this thread too. Of course some of the techniques were my own ideas. It was cool to watch her act like a college age girl thirsty for knowledge. Plus, she behaved too. Usually she is misbehaving, lol.

She is going to start stamping now. She now has a collection of stamps, inks, tortillions & other what-nots. Because of this thread and SCS you made somebody's day that is not even online.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2012, 04:41 AM   #906  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

I have a funny make do story to share with you. My Mom is 77 years old today. It's her B-day. My Mom has never rubber stamped in her life. She was over at my home last night to celebrate her B-day. I was showing her some of my new stamps. She asked if I could make her some images. I was stamping the images and she now wants me to teach her how to stamp. I am teaching her how to stamp and she is all excited because the techniques I was showing her. She said to me- "I thought stamping was expensive but all of this is really cheap!" ROFL! She was so super excited. All the things I was showing her were techniques I have learned at SCS and on this thread too. Of course some of the techniques were my own ideas. It was cool to watch her act like a college age girl thirsty for knowledge. Plus, she behaved too. Usually she is misbehaving, lol.

She is going to start stamping now. She now has a collection of stamps, inks, tortillions & other what-nots. Because of this thread and SCS you made somebody's day that is not even online.

What a brilliant story! That is just so cool.
And lol at the 'stuff is really cheap' comment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2012, 08:31 AM   #907  
Matboard Maniac

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Haven't read every single thing on this blog and don't know if anyone has aready mentioned this. I saw a card K werner did on her blog(LOVE HER) but she had a "chalk board" that was purchased for 99 cents and wrote on it with a gel pen but since I can't write(thank God for sentiment stamps). I thought I would experiment. I took a twinchie and sprayed it w/ chalkbord paint. It took the paint great. Then stamped it and embossed w/ white EP and it was fantastic! Even with a little extra powder it looks like chalk. I covered the edges with wood like paper and I have a "chalkboard" with stuff already had.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2012, 06:21 PM   #908  
Embossing Fanatic

What's a twinchie?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #909  
Matboard Maniac

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Well it's a inchie(1 inch square) that is 2 inches square. I think I got Mine at Impress but I think Ellen Hutson has them since they sell alot of inchie square stamps. The squares are pretty thick and you can use them with all kinds of mediums. If you search the gallery and put in inchie you get alot of inspration.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2012, 02:26 AM   #910  
Crimping Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

DeeAnn, Happy Birthday to your Mom! What a wonderful thing it is to share something you love with someone else and watch their face light up. I laughed at the "cheap" comment...I remember thinking that too! I hope you two have many happy times for years to come stamping together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2012, 05:00 AM   #911  
Embossing Fanatic

Thank you for the inchie/twinchie definition, I'll check out the gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2012, 04:07 PM   #912  
Mad Swapper

Ideas for Scrap Paper = Have you checked out the tutorial on making paper beads by Patty Bombyk here on Splitcoast? Or the paper quilted card by Jenna Barber. I�ve made several of these kind of cards. I sent one to a friend at church who is a member of a quilt guild. She loved it!

I found these ideas online sometime ago.
Greeting Cards Templates To Download

Blender Pen Fluid Recipe

Ink Pad Recipes

Recycling Tips For Rubberstamping and Scrapbooking
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #913  
Mad Swapper

I want to apologize for anything I may have said in any of my previous posts. I didn't intend to point fingers and imply anything bad. Hoof in mouth disease strikes me from time to time. :( Please forgive me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #914  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rush'd LadyView Post
I want to apologize for anything I may have said in any of my previous posts. I didn't intend to point fingers and imply anything bad. Hoof in mouth disease strikes me from time to time. :( Please forgive me.
I can't imagine how you would have anything to apologize for. I love your posts. They are full of energy and enthusiasm!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #915  
Insane Embellisher

Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Alternative source for paper to die cut

I don't know if this idea precisely fits with this thread or not. However, I have one of those Keurig coffee machines, so I buy boxes of the K cups in various brands. The boxes are made of paper, but of a weight that works nicely with various dies. So, I have made leaves from the green portion of the boxes which are particularly attractive if I say so myself! And I have a die that is 4 small tools-hammer etc and those come out quite nicely in the brown section of one of the boxes. Ok, similarly, in the Lipton decaffeinated 72 count tea bag box, there is a small piece of kraft colored paper that again is of a nice weight to die cut...I am a big coffee and tea drinker, but hey it's great to use the packaging for something fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #916  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rush'd LadyView Post

My hubbin likes Tim Holtz and wants me to learn his techniques for the vintage look for his heritage scrapbook since his thing is family history. So he picks up whatever is on clearance of Tim�s and this time it was a grungeboard alphabet. Deeann, this craftin� thing is rubbing off on my hubbin! *smile* My hubbin also likes the vintage/steampunk looking hardware of Tim�s & 7 Gypsies. Since I�ve not had too much experience in the hardware department what can I substitute? What do I look for at Home Depot and thrift stores? Are alcohol inks & sharpies what I need to �antique� the things?

You should check out Andy Skinner's gallery He does some amazing altering and finishes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2012, 03:44 AM   #917  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocean County StamperView Post
I don't know if this idea precisely fits with this thread or not. However, I have one of those Keurig coffee machines, so I buy boxes of the K cups in various brands. The boxes are made of paper, but of a weight that works nicely with various dies. So, I have made leaves from the green portion of the boxes which are particularly attractive if I say so myself! And I have a die that is 4 small tools-hammer etc and those come out quite nicely in the brown section of one of the boxes. Ok, similarly, in the Lipton decaffeinated 72 count tea bag box, there is a small piece of kraft colored paper that again is of a nice weight to die cut...I am a big coffee and tea drinker, but hey it's great to use the packaging for something fun!
I will have to find some K boxes. I am not a coffee drinker but my DH is one. He doesn't want a K coffeemaker. I have friends who can steal their boxes, lol. Thank you for the tip.

I am a big tea drinker. I snag all the tea inserts and boxes too. I even snag the pretty tea tags. Added bonus the tea boxes smell heavenly.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2012, 04:03 AM   #918  
Die Cut Diva

I know this is probably one of the craziest questions ever. Has anybody added glycerin or Versamark reinker to their dye ink pads? I don't want to mess up my dye ink pads before I try this because they are pricey, at least for me, lol.

I thought it was ok to ask on this thread because that is definitely a make do, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2012, 08:53 AM   #919  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I know this is probably one of the craziest questions ever. Has anybody added glycerin or Versamark reinker to their dye ink pads? I don't want to mess up my dye ink pads before I try this because they are pricey, at least for me, lol.

I thought it was ok to ask on this thread because that is definitely a make do, lol.
Not sure what your reason for doing this might be, but I'm sure some Versamark has gotten onto/into my pads when I ink with Versamark and then into my dye ink to make the color embossible. Haven't discovered any problems so far.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #920  
Compulsive Stamper

Default glycerin

I dilute glycerin,mixed with a tiny drop of water to 're-ink' my versamark pad. when it goes a bit dry.Works perfectly for me.
Also i keep the packaging from dried peas,as the picture of the peas,is great for die cutting leaves..
You then get leaves with different shades of green in them,and i ink the edges too.HTH.Rosie.x
Reply With Quote Likes