Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-18-2015, 09:46 PM   #1281  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 130 Likes on 68 Posts

Hey Pat! Mailing the box tops tomorrow....finally got some money for stamps! keep an eye out!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2015, 05:53 AM   #1282  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2015, 10:57 PM   #1283  
Glitter Guru

Received 856 Likes on 512 Posts

I was really stoked earlier today. I tried out some poster paint that I had gotten for a dollar at the Dollar Tree. It was primary colors, but I liked the way they colored the paper when I wiped it on with my finger. I really liked the colors. I was really happy, because I had bought some Distress Inks earlier this year, and they didn't work as great for me as I thought they would. It could be that I got some that were a little dry.
But these were just a dollar for six colors, and it washes up with water. Granted I don't want to get them on my clothes, but it came off my table and fingers with just a damp wipee. I think they'd work good on some watercolor paper. I'll have to play with it later and see.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2015, 04:36 PM   #1284  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would be interesting to see what they do on a Gelli plate also. Share with us your results. I see those things all the time and wonder what kind of backgrounds they would create.

I do love the Crayola products. I recently found some water color crayons (not Cryola brand) that were nothing more than gellatos! Felt and acted just like gellatos. It cost $3 for a set of 8 or 10 of them. Best deal I've found in a while.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2015, 12:56 PM   #1285  
Polyshrink Goddess

This may be old news to y'all but use fun foam to die cut things especially words. And they make Glitter fun foam too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2015, 03:37 PM   #1286  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by southgirlView Post
This may be old news to y'all but use fun foam to die cut things especially words. And they make Glitter fun foam too.
My experience with Fun Foam has been different. I use this stuff a lot, and tend to use it instead of 3M foam tape for layering. I used this to create a shaker card with dismal results. It die cuts great. But it will warp all to heck if not dealt with appropriately. And I've seen a couple YouTube videos have the same problem.

I cut a circle out of the middle of a sheet with one side adhesive. Cutting a frame out of it (or a whole in the center of it) - warped, and the paper frame that goes on top will now not line up. Keeping the adhesive paper on the back helps, but not enough.

Shaker cards where the foam was sandwiched in between the card base and the top card cover are doing OK, but those were assembled, glued, and put between 2 heavy books to dry flat all in one shot. The remaining partially made cards are bowed by the foam - which still has the paper on the adhesive side! I would have thought being glued to the card with the paper on the other side that it would be stable, but no. Frustrating.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2015, 09:21 AM   #1287  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Great list SkyBlueSky, here are a some more paper sources.

The inside of security envelopes have great patterns
Bags from stores, my all time favorite is from World Market Cost Plus
Newsletters
Foil lids from containers, e.g., yogurt, peanut butter, peanuts
Packaging, Darice embossing folders have a heavy, shiny black paper perfect for die cutting; Tim Holz stencils are great for grunge

And check out the thrift stores for other people's rejects. I have picked up packages of watercolor paper, metallic watercolors, watercolors, stamps and embellishments for 1/4 the price I'd pay in stores.

And check out the Frugal Crafter's website. I now have a gelli plate. My only cost was an extra bottle of glycerin, $8. It works great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2015, 02:43 PM   #1288  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, the brown ethnic print. Love that there are so many ethnicities reflected. I've made some great asian and african inspired cards.
Love the idea of using bags from travels, what a fun remembrance!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2015, 10:55 PM   #1289  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

SkyBlue- I really loved your post about free/lost papers. You listed the majority of my art supplies. !

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2015, 06:11 AM   #1290  
Polyshrink Goddess

I didn't notice any warping on the fun foam but I only played with the words and didn't do shapes. Yes I use fun foam instead of pop dots too. I also saw a youtube video where she put heat to a cut out butterfly and shrunk it. She did say it curled a bit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2015, 10:41 PM   #1291  
Glitter Guru

Smile

Had two of my alcohol markers dry out, but I was able to revive them by removing the cap on the end or pulling out the coloring tip and adding alcohol to the barrel. I added too much and made a mess, but after I got that cleaned up, they are working again!
Evidently it takes only a drop or so to revive them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2015, 10:24 AM   #1292  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

Throwing a question out there-

I have a LOT of Clearsnap Colorbox pigment pads, in many forms (rainbow pads, round segmented pads, individual pads, etc.). No way could I ever afford reinkers for all the colors. Mostly, they don't dry out on me, but I have a couple that have shriveled up. Do any of you have any experience in reviving a shriveled pigment pad, without having a reinker for the color?

It won't kill me to just let the poor things die, but naturally, I'd be happier with bringing them back to life!

All help welcomed on this, stampers!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2015, 11:01 AM   #1293  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by contrapatView Post
Throwing a question out there-

I have a LOT of Clearsnap Colorbox pigment pads, in many forms (rainbow pads, round segmented pads, individual pads, etc.). No way could I ever afford reinkers for all the colors. Mostly, they don't dry out on me, but I have a couple that have shriveled up. Do any of you have any experience in reviving a shriveled pigment pad, without having a reinker for the color?

It won't kill me to just let the poor things die, but naturally, I'd be happier with bringing them back to life!

All help welcomed on this, stampers!!!
I have had black and white regular size Color Box ink pads shrivel up on me. I use them a lot, so I just replaced them as re-inking wasn't the fix. I would really like to know why they shriveled up, because I noticed that my green is shriveled up completely right in the middle and the Cyan pad is shrunken on the edges. I store all these pads in the same drawer and can't remember abusing one or the other of the lot. Anyone have the cause of this, and if it can be prevented? It's almost like some have a degenerative disease. I don't want it to spread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2016, 06:10 PM   #1294  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 155 Likes on 75 Posts

Checking in to see what I've missed since I last read this thread...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2016, 06:55 PM   #1295  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do pretty much everything digitally. So I don't buy a lot of ink pads or stamps. I never buy patterned paper, as I make my own digitally (Adobe Photoshop) and print them out.

My Silhouette Cameo saves me a ton of $$ -- I make my own stencils, embossing folders, etc. The only dies I buy are the basic stitched shapes and frames. Everything else I cut with the Cameo.

Also, I buy ribbon and embellishments from China and Hong Kong, off Ebay. They are SUPER cheap - shipping is almost always free. They can take over two weeks to arrive, but I've never been disappointed with the quality of the items.

I really like the whole 'DIY' thing and I won't buy anything that I think I can make myself & save money. The huge drawback is that it takes me forever to create something (like a card). I wish I could make things quickly, but it's very difficult when I'm making my own paper, imagery, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2016, 05:07 AM   #1296  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Making your own embossing folder?

Do you use mylar? I just bought a Silhouette and am interested in this concept. thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2016, 09:33 AM   #1297  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this but the other day I needed to use a bit of ribbon and it was wrinkled. I used my heat gun to give it a little shot of hot air and it straightened right out!

Used to try and use my curling iron but it never worked and I'm just too lazy to try and find my steam iron! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2016, 09:48 AM   #1298  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorie95View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this but the other day I needed to use a bit of ribbon and it was wrinkled. I used my heat gun to give it a little shot of hot air and it straightened right out!

Used to try and use my curling iron but it never worked and I'm just too lazy to try and find my steam iron! LOL!
Be careful about this method when working with organdy ribbon and some others, as they may wrinkle and curl instead. Sometimes this is an intentional outcome, but not if you are trying to smooth it out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2016, 07:43 PM   #1299  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I use my flat iron all the time on ribbon when wrinkled. It works on delicate ones too.
It helps to use up the scraps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2016, 06:06 AM   #1300  
Kookie Creator

I was busy earlier this month purging cards I purchased in sets and those I made that needed new homes. With all packaging and mailing, churches in NC and FL now have cards from central PA. I was able to use my new SU window box die and framed some small botanicals which were on the front of smaller note cards I bought at Ollie's years ago. While no one would notice any more space, I feel better having used some things that were not catching my eye at the moment. Even my many packs of Michael's cards at 8/$1.00 were used as the base for this year's Easter cards. My scraps are becoming bases for word dies and butterflies. Some note cards that had a shimmer turned out to be beautiful die cuts. Even my binder of baseball card holder sheets was out, housing my collection of $1 clear stamps. They saw action as I made the tea bag holders that look like a gift card holder. The stamp size was perfect in proportion to these holders. Every drawer is getting an examination for usefulness of contents, as I reduce, reuse or recycle the contents. This feels like spring cleaning! Now if the house only showed itself as the next candidate...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2016, 10:24 PM   #1301  
Glitter Guru

Smile

Sounds like a great idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2017, 11:41 AM   #1302  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by southgirlView Post
I saw a video once where "Lindsay the frugal crafter" said that fun foam can be a bit tricky to stick down. Just wondering what kind of adhesive you recommend, or have you had no problems?
Chemo Angel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2017, 11:43 AM   #1303  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunshinesenseView Post
I saw a video once where "Lindsay the frugal crafter" said that fun foam can be a bit tricky to stick down. Just wondering what kind of adhesive you recommend, or have you had no problems?
You can get fun foam that already has an adhesive backing. Haven't tried this yet, but maybe it could be run through the Xyron before die cutting?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2017, 04:54 PM   #1304  
Matboard Maniac

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Jennifer McGuire I think uses the green mono adhesive for the foam. I have bought the fridge binz containers but plastic shoe boxes work wonders too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2017, 07:55 AM   #1305  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use Scor Tape/ Sook Wang tape (and a little liquid glue just in case.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2017, 11:39 AM   #1306  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
You can get fun foam that already has an adhesive backing. Haven't tried this yet, but maybe it could be run through the Xyron before die cutting?
I have been known to cut off long strips of fun foam, and run it through my Xyron (the little X), twice, to get adhesive on both sides, as a way to create my own foam tape. As long as I don't use the thickest foam, and I take my time with it, this seems to work just fine. I worked it up once, and it definitely seemed to be less expensive than traditional foam tape - but I'm always looking for deals or coupons, to buy my Xyron refills.

The best part, though: I love that I can create my own foam tape in multiple colors. :grin:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2017, 10:46 PM   #1307  
Glitter Guru

Thanks for letting me know that you can run the fun foam through the xyron....
Reply With Quote Likes