Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #1  

Received 275 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Question about delivery confirmation

Does anyone know if USPS delivery confirmation practices have changed with the price increase? On the last three shipments for which I paid extra for delivery confirmation, the only tracking information I have accessed is that the package was received by the post office at which I mailed the package. No actual tracking information.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Delivery confirmation is exactly what the name says: delivery confirmation. It's not meant to track your package's progress, even though it often does.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #3  

Correction: I just revisted the USPS website. One of the packages has been processed through a sorting center 100 miles south of the destination. Still no word on the other package shipped at same time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 08:29 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 666 Likes on 418 Posts

For most things I have sent with an dc number... their web site usually only says what day it is delivered, so you may not see anything until it is delivered. it always shocks me when it actually tells me where something is...

if i really want to track it i use another shipping service.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 08:31 PM   #5  

Thanks, SkyNacho. I hadn't realized that it's not meant to track packages, as I had always been able to do so with prior shipments. I appreciate the clarification.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 08:32 PM   #6  

Thanks, Stacy. I wasn't slighting your reply; with dial-up, posting is a delayed reaction. I appreciate your response.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 666 Likes on 418 Posts

not a problem...

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 08:46 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sadly, I've learned that Delivery Confirmation means nothing to the USPS... it only means it was delivered "somewhere"... not necessarily at the correct destination address... in many post offices, they scan all the packages in the post office... I get mail all the time that's intended for someone else. Unlike UPS which scans the package all along the way, you can't find out anything about what happened to the package... and buying insurance is a waste of money because if they show they delivered it, they won't pay on the insurance despite the fact my customer says they never received it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #9  

Stampo,
I have confirmation that one package was delivered yesterday, and one will be delivered today. So sorry to hear (read) of your situation with USPS. Do you take your packages directly to the P.O.? Maybe that makes a difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I know a couple of shipments I've had come to me, when I tried to follow tracking on them, the tracking showed "Post office has been notified of the shipment" (the shipper printed the label online) up until the minute the package was actually delivered to me. The mail carrier actually scanned the package at delivery, though - the shipper maybe requested signature confirmation as well???

I also had a package from Joann.com that still showed it was at a sortation center for about a week after I actually had received it. It was to the point that I was going to call them and let them know - they shipped with Fedex Smart Post, which is Fedex picking up their shipments and using their trucks to get them to the nearest post office, and the post office completing delivery, and if the tracking is that out of date, it makes you wonder how many packages they're replacing that they shouldn't have to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2011, 01:20 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A postal employee explained to me that, as has been mentioned, delivery confirmation is only that - delivery confirmation. If you take your package to a postal window and ask them to scan it in, then the web site will show that it has been received. If you just drop it off, it may or may not get scanned before leaving that post office. In that case you would get the dreaded "shipping information received" message for a while.

Whether there are any updated entries along the way depends entirely upon whether a postal employee scans the package again as it moves from place to place.

I've had many packages come both ways - "shipping info received" until after it is on my porch, and others where there is an updated location every day. But technically delivery confirmation is not meant to be a tracking mechanism. It is just very nice when it is!

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes