Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #121  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krafty*KateView Post
I think it means making a purse-shaped gift card holder from the "Top Note" Sizzix die cartridge. Here is an example: Krafting Kreations: Purse Gift Card Holder HTH!
With a little "tweaking" you can make this with the largest die in the Nestabilities Labels 1 set. I don't have the Top Note die, so I used my Nesties.

I made a ton of these and sold them in the craft fairs I did last fall. They sold very well at $4 each. One lady bought 6 of them because she had 6 granddaughters!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2010, 04:02 PM   #122  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cflathemView Post
Go to Kinkos. I take so many that they know me now. Between the junior legal pads and cutting cardstock for cards I do a ton of business with them.
If you don't mind me asking, how much does Kinkos charge to do this? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2010, 04:16 PM   #123  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
With a little "tweaking" you can make this with the largest die in the Nestabilities Labels 1 set. I don't have the Top Note die, so I used my Nesties.

I made a ton of these and sold them in the craft fairs I did last fall. They sold very well at $4 each. One lady bought 6 of them because she had 6 granddaughters!
I was thinking of using one of my nesties lables for this...but just hadn't done it yet. I don't have the top note either. Nice to know they sold well.

I'm getting a little overwhelmed now. I hear lots of good things from other past vendors for this show (my first)...they say good traffic with good money. I'm thinking I really need to have a wide variety of product and I'm worried I'll just keep going and not finish enough on time. I'm out of money so when I'm out of supplies I'm done anyway. I just hope it's enough. It's outside around a lake with farmers market type vendors as well. At the very least I want to recoup some of my supply costs and maybe get a few outside clients. On the up swing...I received bags from GT today...on the down swing...hubby ate some of my m&m's. At least he didn't eat them all...and not knowing what they were for...he went out and bought me a new bag. There is hope for him yet. lol. I'm off to run with scissors...have a great night all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2010, 04:54 PM   #124  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluesladyView Post
I pay $1.64 per cut. But don't let then stack the notebooks too high. The first time I took them the girl tried to cut 8 at one time, and it was too thick. The notebooks slid, cut them wrong, and they were all ruined.

I can't guarantee that all Kinko's charge the same thing, but it should be close.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2010, 08:59 PM   #125  
Matboard Maniac

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2010, 09:20 PM   #126  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampnsk8rView Post
I was thinking of using one of my nesties lables for this...but just hadn't done it yet. I don't have the top note either. Nice to know they sold well.

I'm getting a little overwhelmed now. I hear lots of good things from other past vendors for this show (my first)...they say good traffic with good money. I'm thinking I really need to have a wide variety of product and I'm worried I'll just keep going and not finish enough on time. I'm out of money so when I'm out of supplies I'm done anyway. I just hope it's enough. It's outside around a lake with farmers market type vendors as well. At the very least I want to recoup some of my supply costs and maybe get a few outside clients. On the up swing...I received bags from GT today...on the down swing...hubby ate some of my m&m's. At least he didn't eat them all...and not knowing what they were for...he went out and bought me a new bag. There is hope for him yet. lol. I'm off to run with scissors...have a great night all.
Oh, so funny! Your DH sounds just like mine. I have to hide anything special that is edible, or tape a BIG note on top, do not eat!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 04:17 AM   #127  
Kookie Creator

Anyone have a template for the toppers to the M&M sticks? I just bagged 43 of them (orange was the most popular color actually lol) and need a paper topper for them. Wal-Mart had the bags for $3.68 each, I couldn't believe how expensive they were. I bought two and got 43 sticks (2 are mixed colors, all the rest are individual color sticks). I feel like I would have been better off using a 40% off coupon at Michael's or Hobby Lobby to buy bags of single colors. Oh well, what's done is done! My Wal-Mart doesn't carry the single black sheets, so I got two beige sets for $5 each. They come with a fitted sheet and pillowcase, so I'm not sure what I'll do with the fitted sheets. Pillowcases are always useful, especially in a color like beige. So I have my sheets, some display baskets, some vintage suitcases for displaying items, and am working on my name and price signs. I'm also working on my booth name/business name banner. Did I mention I haven't even applied yet? I figure if I don't get in, I can just save everything for another show, no biggie. The $60 fee is hard to come by right now when I keep buying supplies!

How much do you all charge for your M&M sticks? Figuring in the bags and M&Ms I'd have to charge $0.37 to break even, so I was thinking of 50 cents a stick. But then I have taxes so maybe $0.60. I hate that weird number but I could do two for a dollar. Also, do you think 43 sticks is enough? I might use a coupon and buy some purple or white M&Ms from Michael's or Hobby Lobby.

Any help on the toppers would be greatly appreciated! If you have a file you can send me with your design I would love to use it and replace all the custom stuff with my own (logo, name, website, price, phone, etc.). I just don't know about sizing and all that stuff. I basically need a starting point lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 05:52 AM   #128  
Matboard Maniac

Hi Katie,

I am not sure there is an actual template for the topper for the M&M bags. It seems that most people use either a scalloped circle punch like this (IMG_5370.jpg (image)), flower (Thursday - Easter Candy Containers and Party Favors - Using Stampin Up Punches, Designer Series Paper, Stamps & Papertrey Ink Buttons & Thread - Stamping and Paper Creations by Susi-Q), tag punch (St. Patrick's Day Treats - M&M Stix by kaitysmom - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers), or even a rectangle (Bunny m&m's). There is a lot of great info about these M&M stix on this thread: Question re M&M treat thing I saw.... by Kay-Kay at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 05:56 AM   #129  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinetickatieView Post
How much do you all charge for your M&M sticks? Figuring in the bags and M&Ms I'd have to charge $0.37 to break even, so I was thinking of 50 cents a stick. But then I have taxes so maybe $0.60. I hate that weird number but I could do two for a dollar.

BTW, I think .60 is way too cheap for these. Most people want to make back at least 1 1/2 times their cost of making items, which would be .93 and 2 times cost would be $1.11. On the other thread, most people seem to sell these at craft shows for $1.50 and I do not think you will have any trouble getting that price, but you could always say $1.50 each or 4 for $5. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 07:56 AM   #130  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheri'LView Post
Subbing for the future. I really need to stop writing down these ideas and start making things. My biggest show is Mid-October.
I feel like I've been doing the same thing. Writing things down, buying supplies, but I haven't made a darn thing! I need to tell myself no shopping until everything I have is done up!

I'm a work in progress!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 08:05 AM   #131  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by imlynneView Post
Looking for cute Monster papers and stamps. Where can I get them?
I found some cute Halloween papers at the Target $1 bin!

I'm a work in progress!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 08:13 AM   #132  
Hardware Hotshot

I think I got ripped off in M&Ms. lol I bought the two big bags at Walmart and only managed to fill 23 sticks, with exactly 20 M&Ms left over for me. They look cute already even without the topper! I received a SU order yesterday and I ordered a tag punch so I'll be using that for my toppers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 08:30 AM   #133  
Insane Embellisher

I am confused. What are you having cut down and why?

Pat

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluesladyView Post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 08:40 AM   #134  
Crimping Master

Cool Waiting for M&M's to go on sale!!!

I have an order for 200 candy stix from a friend that is using them for giveaways for a local charity this Christmas! Come On Christmas Candy Sales!!!

In the meantime, I have been working on non-holiday items. I know that this may sound really strange, but my notebooks, journals, post it note holders etc. all sell better if they are NOT Christmas! Don't get me wrong, the holiday stocking stuffer/candy things are big sellers, but I guess people are buying the paper products for use year round? Does that make sense?

Anyhoo....this is what I have been working on this week! They are the same as the Jr. Legal pads that you have cut in half, but I use the notepads from PTI - HERE. I love them! They are a little more expensive than the Jr. Legal Pads (.65 each with shipping) but the quality is so nice....They come in a vintage cream and white too! I sell these for $3.50-4.00 at my craft fairs depending on the venue.

Thanks for looking:
Craft Sale Best Sellers - Ideas and Discussion-100_5880.jpg
Inside - shows vintage cream and white notepads
Craft Sale Best Sellers - Ideas and Discussion-100_5882.jpg

Craft Sale Best Sellers - Ideas and Discussion-100_5884.jpg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 08:59 AM   #135  
Crimping Master

Default One more thing....

These are sets of handmade gift tags that I am making for a Shoebox Swap that I host with some local SCS ladies. There are (10) tags in each bag. I was trying to think of something different to make for them and I saw a cute idea for these on another craft site.
Craft Sale Best Sellers - Ideas and Discussion-100_5845.jpg

Craft Sale Best Sellers - Ideas and Discussion-100_5850.jpg

Craft Sale Best Sellers - Ideas and Discussion-100_5849.jpg

My question is do you think that these would be a good craft show item?
I would probably have to package them in clear bags though....or...I have a bunch of clear acetate pillow boxes that these would fit in! That might be cute with a belly wrap, ribbon and gift tag? Have to play with them a little more I guess. I am like you all...too many ideas and not enough time to get them done!

Thanks in advance for your ideas!
Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #136  
Hardware Hotshot

Beth, I love your notepads! I also find that generic rather than holiday themed items sell best, so that's what I'm focusing on with the exception of the M&M sticks and some tree ornaments to use up some supplies I have had stashed away for ages.

I think the tags are adorable and I would buy them. I tried tags one year and didn't have much success, but maybe I just needed cuter packaging. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 09:36 AM   #137  
Die Cut Diva

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

I totally agree with all the comments about non-holiday paper items selling better than holiday themed ones. Think about it. Do you still want to be using a Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer notpad at Easter or on the beach in July? I sell tons of the the S'more kits, Grinch Pills, Hot Coco & Cider packs - but those get used up quickly. I think that is why they aren't a problem. Anything someone will put in their purse, use on their desk, hang in their kitchen or take to the office needs to work year round. Especially in this economy where people are a bit mor selective with what they are buying.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 09:46 AM   #138  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Looking for cute Monster papers and stamps. Where can I get them?
Close to My Heart has a new Monster paper packet and some stamps. It just came out September 1st. If you don't have a consultant, let me know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #139  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

what ink do i use to "color" metal with? thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 11:35 AM   #140  
Hardware Hotshot

Alcohol inks work well on metal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 11:40 AM   #141  
Matboard Maniac

Trish, where can I see them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 12:04 PM   #142  
Rubber Obsessor

Very cute, I like the tags and the notebooks. I tried to sell tags last year and they weren't a big hit, but maybe it's because they weren't packaged as cute either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaitysmomView Post
These are sets of handmade gift tags that I am making for a Shoebox Swap that I host with some local SCS ladies. There are (10) tags in each bag. I was trying to think of something different to make for them and I saw a cute idea for these on another craft site.
Attachment 195399

Attachment 195400

Attachment 195401

My question is do you think that these would be a good craft show item?
I would probably have to package them in clear bags though....or...I have a bunch of clear acetate pillow boxes that these would fit in! That might be cute with a belly wrap, ribbon and gift tag? Have to play with them a little more I guess. I am like you all...too many ideas and not enough time to get them done!

Thanks in advance for your ideas!
Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 12:31 PM   #143  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsrussView Post
Alcohol inks work well on metal.
thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 01:09 PM   #144  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Trish, where can I see them?
I sent you a PM, but thought I would try and link it here too.

Close To My Heart - Scrapbooking and Stamping: Online Idea Book

page 18 and 19
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #145  
Cardstock Collector

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by threeteensView Post
Canadian ladies be wary about ordering stuff from the States. I ordered from Specialty Bottle (the nugget tins) and because my order was over $20 (21.00 to be exact) I am being charged a brokerage fee! I did not realize this as I don't order on-line very often. So keep it under $20 and you will be ok! Those nugget tins are turning out to be more expensive every day!
Thanks for this ... I always wondered when we'd get charged and I thought it was closer to $50 ... I haven't ordered anything as of yet but I'll definitely keep this in mind!

Thanks again!
Flower
skrapbuker.iblogger.org
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 01:40 PM   #146  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by grammieTView Post
Can any one direct me to where I may find cheap easals? The dollar tree just told me that they will no longer be carrying them...please help.
I saw them at my Dollar Tree this morning. PM me if you want me to send some to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #147  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinetickatieView Post
Anyone have a template for the toppers to the M&M sticks? I just bagged 43 of them (orange was the most popular color actually lol) and need a paper topper for them. Wal-Mart had the bags for $3.68 each, I couldn't believe how expensive they were. I bought two and got 43 sticks (2 are mixed colors, all the rest are individual color sticks). I feel like I would have been better off using a 40% off coupon at Michael's or Hobby Lobby to buy bags of single colors. Oh well, what's done is done! My Wal-Mart doesn't carry the single black sheets, so I got two beige sets for $5 each. They come with a fitted sheet and pillowcase, so I'm not sure what I'll do with the fitted sheets. Pillowcases are always useful, especially in a color like beige. So I have my sheets, some display baskets, some vintage suitcases for displaying items, and am working on my name and price signs. I'm also working on my booth name/business name banner. Did I mention I haven't even applied yet? I figure if I don't get in, I can just save everything for another show, no biggie. The $60 fee is hard to come by right now when I keep buying supplies!

How much do you all charge for your M&M sticks? Figuring in the bags and M&Ms I'd have to charge $0.37 to break even, so I was thinking of 50 cents a stick. But then I have taxes so maybe $0.60. I hate that weird number but I could do two for a dollar. Also, do you think 43 sticks is enough? I might use a coupon and buy some purple or white M&Ms from Michael's or Hobby Lobby.

Any help on the toppers would be greatly appreciated! If you have a file you can send me with your design I would love to use it and replace all the custom stuff with my own (logo, name, website, price, phone, etc.). I just don't know about sizing and all that stuff. I basically need a starting point lol!
For the toppers I just do whatever coordinates with the theme of the M&M stick. I've done graduation hats, mickey mouse heads, scallop circles, flowers, pumpkins, turkeys, snowmen, santa heads etc. I just make two of them and make sure they can be put back to back without looking weird. I run them through my Xyron and then put the front one on the top of the bag, press down a bit, flip over, put on the back, press down firmly and I'm done. With the flowers I add a few leaves and I do green m&ms in the tube.

I don't sell mine, so I can't help you on pricing, sorry! OH and I do mine so it opens on the bottom - after I fill it, I seal it then flip it, so the topper goes on the bottom of the bag. This way they can open it and eat their chocolate without having to take off the topper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 02:51 PM   #148  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by patscrapView Post
I am confused. What are you having cut down and why?

Pat
Most people are cutting down Jr. Legal Tablets to make skinny shopping note tablets. I'm going to have some cut down for the same reason, and then a bunch I am having an inch and a half chopped off the bottom, so they fit in a DVD tin (for gifts.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 05:02 PM   #149  
Gabfest Goddess

Here is a easy idea:
Clearly iStamp: Real life meets Craft Show

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 05:53 PM   #150  
Glitter Queen

I started making the file folder notebooks but my double sided sticky tape is not holding the "pocket" down. What tape do you recommend?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 05:56 PM   #151  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by teecbearView Post
I started making the file folder notebooks but my double sided sticky tape is not holding the "pocket" down. What tape do you recommend?
I used scortape and when it sticks it sticks. Better get it in the right spot the first time because there is no moving it. I love the stuff!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #152  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhb1281View Post
I used scortape and when it sticks it sticks. Better get it in the right spot the first time because there is no moving it. I love the stuff!!
Can it be purchased at Michaels or Hobby Lobby?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 06:02 PM   #153  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I haven't looked for it there. I get it at Simply Scrapbooks in Kettering, Ohio. The red line tape is also good but more expensive here and I like that you can just tear the scortape and it is easier to work with than the red line.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #154  
Kookie Creator

Ok I figured out my own method. I printed out labels that would fit in my scallop punch and just punched them out and taped/stapled them to the bags.

Here's what it looks like:

M&M Sticks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 06:48 PM   #155  
Cardstock Collector

So, I went to Staples today to grab a few things so I could get started on next months shows. Bought 3 packages of legal pads for 5.99 each. Go to the Copy center...explain how I wanted them cut....they asked me for $16 to cut EACH pack. Needless to say, I didnt get it done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #156  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by D1NonlyAnnmarieView Post
So, I went to Staples today to grab a few things so I could get started on next months shows. Bought 3 packages of legal pads for 5.99 each. Go to the Copy center...explain how I wanted them cut....they asked me for $16 to cut EACH pack. Needless to say, I didnt get it done.
Holy cow! NOT!!!:shock: I e-mailed Staples, to find out what the policy is about cutting such items....but haven't heard back. I'm sure, it's decided on a store to store basis but we'll see.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #157  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by D1NonlyAnnmarieView Post
I second going to your local printing place. A local place cut 2 stacks for me last year for $10, I think. My Staples was ridiculous on the price, too. They said it would be 1 cut for each 2-3 pads and the local place could cut all 15-20 that I had. I'm not sure if it was even that much, but they did a good job; and since i had them all cut at once, I still have some left for this year
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #158  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Red Line tape sells at Hobby Lobby
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #159  
Cardstock Collector

Last year I had them cut at Office Depot for a little less than $4 so that's why I nearly fainted when he told me it would be $16 to cut a package of 12. I tried going back to Office Depot but they were waiting on their machine to get serviced. I'll defintely have to look around for a local shop.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2010, 07:32 PM   #160  
Glitter Queen

Katie, I love your M & M sticks, but if I was buying one it would be for a gift and I would not want the price to be on the tag. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes