Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-09-2009, 06:34 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to get extra Janome Sew Mini bobbins?

I looked through my owner's manual, and for the life of me cannot find a specific bobbin size so I can go pick up some replacement bobbins.

I performed a search of the Splitcoast forums, and still cannot find a definitive answer to my question.

Where do I get extra bobbins for my Janome Sew Mini? Is there a specific part number or size so I can search online or on eBay?

I was at Joann's over the weekend, but most of their bobbins say not for use in Janome machines.

Do ALL Janome machines us the same bobbin? If a bobbin is compatible for a larger Janome, will it work with the Sew Mini as well?

I just don't know a thing about sewing...I bought this machine solely to sew on cards. However, I have thread on the three bobbins that came with the machine, and would really like to get more bobbins for commonly used colors so I don't have to mess with the bobbin each time I want to sew.

The problem is...I just can't seem to find them!

I would really appreciate any help any of you can offer me, and thank you in advance. :-D
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 06:43 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

There are usually standard bobbin sizes for brands. I am a seamstress and have 7 machines, 2 are Janome. I am not familiar with the mini but I will look at one today and see if it the standard Janome bobbin.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 06:45 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

ok here ya go! Looks like the standard bobbin that I normally use (I have the Babylock Ellegante as listed on there so I use these bobbins in ALL my machines Janome and Babylock) You should be able to get those bobbins almost ANYWHERE, they are very common

HTH

http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp09541
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 07:00 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

OK thinking I should explain this for others too...

Looks like the Janome Mini machine comes with class 15 bobbins.

"L" class and class 15 bobbins are often interchangeable, the difference being that the L class stands 5/16" tall and the class 15 stands 3/8".

This would really only be of concern if you are buying prewound bobbins as most of them come on a standard "L" class bobbin. Your machine may come with a spacer /center pin to accomodate

You can read a great article here on bobbins and the problems you would have if you use the wrong size

Hope this helps you guys with the mini!

http://www.cigarcityarts.com/articles/bobbins
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 07:15 AM   #5  
Inking Addict

THANK YOU, Val~Dee. You have been beyond helpful! These are the kinds of details I was hoping to get, as I hate doing anything without fully understanding it, you know?

I really, really appreciate all the information. I'm off to track down some extra bobbins!

Thanks again, Carmen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 07:18 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

If you can wait 'til I get home tonight, I'll check mine for an item # - I picked them up at Hancock fabrics when I got the machine and I'm pretty sure I still have them on the backing card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 07:46 AM   #7  
Inking Addict

That would be great, cbet. I have a Hancock Fabrics nearby, so if I can just pick up the right bobbins at the store, it will save me from paying shipping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 12:38 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks for asking this question. This product is on my wish list and I remember Gina K posting all these great tutorials and someone mentioned getting extra bobbins when you get the machine but I couldn't find anything on the Hancock website? I too know nothing about sewing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 12:48 PM   #9  
Inking Addict

I know! Everyone always say that if you buy the Janome Sew Mini, you should also get extra bobbins.

Well...I've tried! What bothers me is that none of the bobbins I've looked at specifically say they will work in the Janome Sew Mini. A lot of them just say they are compatible with Janome, or provide a list of model numbers, but none of them seem to include Model 525, which I believe is the Sew Mini. So me who knows nothing about sewing isn't confident enough to just assume this means they will work in ALL Janome machines.

It's all very confusing to me. I can't believe the Owner's Manual doesn't tell you which bobbins to buy.

It does appear as though Class 15 is correct, though, so big thanks to Val~Dee!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 01:05 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

If you have a Janome dealer close, check with them. They are usually very helpful. I have three Janomes (I also quilt.) and the same bobbin works in all three. However, I do not have the mini. I do stitch on my cards, but because I already have a sewing machine, I did not see the necessity of purchasing another one.

Just remember, like scissors, when you sew on paper or cardstock, it dulls your needle and you will need put use a new needle when you sew on cloth.

locoop
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 01:09 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Also one thing to note is that the "Janome Mini" is EXACTLY the same as the Janome Hello Kitty machine, so anything that works for one will work for the other.

I buy mostly prewound bobbins for my embroidery machine (ebay is the place for good deals on these) because embroidery designs use up tons so fast and it is 80% of the time just white underneath, for sewing colored thread on my bobbin I wind them up myself and this little thing is sooooo handy to keep all your bobbins in so they don't unwind Bobbin Saver
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 01:21 PM   #12  
Inking Addict

Okay, so something Val~Dee just said makes me think that - for cards - I might not even need to worry about loading different bobbins for different thread colors. Maybe I don't even NEED any extras!

Are you saying that the thread that comes up from the bobbin only shows on the BACK of a card? Which means it could just as easily be white as anything else. Is the color of the thread that shows up on the front of the card controlled by the color on the spool???

Seriously. I know NOTHING about sewing, and maybe I'm misinterpreting what Val~Dee just said, but...it seems to me that, if I'm just sewing on a card front, then adhering it to my base, it doesn't matter at all what the color of the thread on the back is.

Is this really how it works??? Sheesh. I feel like such a dummy here...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 02:50 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmenvView Post
Are you saying that the thread that comes up from the bobbin only shows on the BACK of a card? Which means it could just as easily be white as anything else. Is the color of the thread that shows up on the front of the card controlled by the color on the spool??? .....

Is this really how it works??? Sheesh. I feel like such a dummy here...
Yes, that's true - although sometimes if the tension of the machine is off, you might see loops from the bobbin thread poking thru. I never thought of this - when doing regular sewing, you usually want the two colors to match

I checked the bobbins I bought - they say "Janome Plastic Bobbins for All Janome Models" on the front. The part number on the back is 200-122-614; there's a little blurb on the back of the card that states "these plastic bobbins can be used for all Janome models"

They match up exactly to the bobbins that came with the machine; the spec sheet for the machine on Hancock Fabrics states that it uses "standard Janome bobbins" and when I bought the machine, I asked one of the Hancock employees to steer me to the correct bobbins, so I'm pretty confident in them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 04:09 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

OK, I hope I am not confusing anyone because I realize many are not that familiar with sewing machines! Above was in reference to my Ellegante Embroidery machine. If you notice on any clothes you may wear that have embroidery on them the back side will have white on light color items or maybe black if it is black or navy fabric.

when doing regular sewing I too try to match the bobbin thread to the top thread especially if I am on a solid color fabric. For instance if your sewing on solid black and you had black thread on top and white in the bobbin, there is a chance you could see little bits of the bobbin thread depending on your tension as posted above.

All that said, if your stitching on white cardstock and using a color thread on top, you may be able to get away with white on the bobbin, but it would depend on the tension of your machine.
I myself have not sewn on a Janome Mini so I am not familiar enough with the tension tendencies of it, with it being a lower end machine chances are the tension may be temperamental. (I have auto tension on my Janome DC3050)

Best thing to do is try it on a scrap of cardstock and see how it comes out. I also make a note of what numbers the tension was on right next to the stitching, then if you change tension #'s write that next to the stitching, you will be able to see the result right next to stitches as a reference and also have your numbers to go back to if you don't like what you changed to!

If you look at this picture, I did this applique by hand on my regular Janome machine (NOT on an embroidery machine) I had white thread in the bobbin and you can see one spot where it pulled through on the very right side of the cherry. It was just one stitch, again this is with auto tension. card stock would have a bit different result.

Applique

Again I am just an email away if you have sewing questions!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 05:31 PM   #15  
Inking Addict

Thank you, Val~Dee. I think I understand the distinction now, and I will go upstairs and play with the machine just to see what kind of results I get. It sounds like, to be safe, I will still want the colors on the bobbin to match.

Thank you also, cbet. That information will be very helpful when I go in to my local Hancock fabrics to try and track down extra bobbins, should I decide to go that route.

My head is about to explode from all this knowledge, but that is a good thing! I learned a lot today...thank you all for your patience and sharing your expertise.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 04:39 AM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

Val~Dee are you still here??? Anyone else who may know...

I bought class 15 bobbins and I used one and it worked fine. A couple of weeks later, I've chosen another color and it's not working. The bobbin is not snug around the thing at the top right of the machine, so it's not winding...

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 05:03 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Hmmm I am not sure. Have you held the one that works against the one that didn't to see if they are different? Are they from the same pack?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 06:55 AM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

They are from the same pack...it's so weird. The weirdest part, is I got one of them to work...but I don't know how. The two that came with the machine seem to fit tighter around that thing--I'm sure it has a name, I'm sorry. When I get home, I'll take a video and maybe that will explain it better. I'm so glad you're here!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 09:09 AM   #19  
Watercolor Wizard

I just bought a pack of bobbins from Walmart and they work just fine!
Reply With Quote Likes