Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-12-2009, 07:38 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Must haves for a newbie?

I am brand new to stamping, I have never stamped before. I love to scrapbook though and would like to get into card making. I just purchased my first few sets of stamps (got 3 set of SU stamps for under 30....woohoo). My question is what are the must haves for a newbie stamper? I know it will take me a while to build my collection up and to get everything I "need" but what basics would you suggest to get started with?

I have a ton of CS, and patterned paper. I also have some embellies that I use with my scrapbooking (ribbon, buttons, flowers etc). Along with my stamp sets I ordered some ink pads, aqua brushes, and blender pens as well as some SU chalks.

There is just so much out there to choose from. I want a brayer, copics (it will be a long while before I can get these), stuff to emboss with (I am really excited to learn how to emboss). The list could go on and on but I don't want to get ahead of myself since I am just starting and want to practice with the basics first.

Anyway any advice on tools etc that you would recommend would be great! I am impatiently waiting my for my first package of stamping stuff to arrive in the mail so I can get started!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2009, 08:34 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Congrats on your new obsession! ;) It sounds like you have a good set of basic things coming and already in your stash. Did you get a good sentiment set?
If you're wanting to emboss (I'm assuming heat embossing is what you meant?), I would invest in a good quality heat gun, a Versamark pad, and either black, white, or clear embossing powder.
Otherwise, my biggest advice is to start playing first before you buy a whole bunch of things and figure out what you like! Most of all, have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2009, 08:37 PM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

Sounds like you already have a lot of the basics, plenty to get started with!

I have to say, one of the most satisfying techniques I like to use on cards is heat embossing. For this, you will need a heat tool, a Versamark (watermark) ink pad, an embossing buddy (optional but improves the results) and a few different embossing powders (black, clear, white, gold, silver, copper are what I consider the basics, but you can find just about any color). The little trays are helpful to get the excess powder back in the jar, but I use a creased piece of paper just as often. Check the resources section for Heat Embossing help.

Happy card making!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2009, 09:01 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

I would say: black ink, a paper trimmer (the kind with the blade that you slide up and down and a ruler attached), good quality white paper, and 3 or 4 colours of cardstock that you really like...

A couple other things...
If you have supplies for heat embossing (a heat gun isn't cheap, but mine has lasted for years now. A container of powder will also last foreeeever...I've embossed 100s of images and still use the same clear EP) you can colour your image with pencil crayons, markers, or watercolours (decent school-quality supplies work just fine here!) without worrying about smudging your paper.

Versamark ink is awesome for background effects, using with embossing powder, adding dimension...search for cards that use it here on SCS, and you'll see what I mean!

I would also add that SCS is a necessity...there are sooo many ideas here, it's easy to get overwhelmed. Just find a card you like and then try to emulate it, or part of it...make it your own! And then post it for the rest of us to be inspired by!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2009, 10:46 PM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks so much ladies!

I think embossing supplies will be the next thing I buy as I really want to start practicing. I don't have a heat gun so will start looking for a good deal. I think I will start with black and clear embossing powder and then go from there. Can you use clear embossing powder on colored ink and get that color?

The coloring technique I plan to start with is using the ink from the ink pads (pressing so it is in the top of the lid) and then using blender pens or aqua pens to color...kinda like watercolor. Should I get water color paper for this? Or could I just use heavy cardstock? If I use just the blender pen with no water I am assumming cardstock would be fine for that. I have watched a few videos on you tube and they make it look so simple lol. I will try chalking as well, I really liked working with chalk on my scrapbook layouts.

I have a paper cutter that will work for now (it is one with the lift handle you bring down) but I would love to get a slider one eventually.

I don't have a good setiment stamp set. The sets I got are SU frogs and flies (I love frogs so had to have this), SU favorite friends, and SU Love without End two step. I got these mostly because I could not pass up the good deal but I definately will start looking for some setiment sets. Can anyone recommend any good ones? I will need something with a simple Thank you for sure as I plan to make all of DH's thank you cards that he sends out to his clients.

Thanks for all the help so far. I have been lurking here for about a week and have found so much great info already! Plus I love checking out the gallery and all the blogs people have in there siggys.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2009, 11:13 PM   #6  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommavi1181View Post
Thanks so much ladies!

I think embossing supplies will be the next thing I buy as I really want to start practicing. I don't have a heat gun so will start looking for a good deal. I think I will start with black and clear embossing powder and then go from there. Can you use clear embossing powder on colored ink and get that color?

The coloring technique I plan to start with is using the ink from the ink pads (pressing so it is in the top of the lid) and then using blender pens or aqua pens to color...kinda like watercolor. Should I get water color paper for this? Or could I just use heavy cardstock? If I use just the blender pen with no water I am assumming cardstock would be fine for that. I have watched a few videos on you tube and they make it look so simple lol. I will try chalking as well, I really liked working with chalk on my scrapbook layouts.

I have a paper cutter that will work for now (it is one with the lift handle you bring down) but I would love to get a slider one eventually.

I don't have a good setiment stamp set. The sets I got are SU frogs and flies (I love frogs so had to have this), SU favorite friends, and SU Love without End two step. I got these mostly because I could not pass up the good deal but I definately will start looking for some setiment sets. Can anyone recommend any good ones? I will need something with a simple Thank you for sure as I plan to make all of DH's thank you cards that he sends out to his clients.

Thanks for all the help so far. I have been lurking here for about a week and have found so much great info already! Plus I love checking out the gallery and all the blogs people have in there siggys.

Yes you can! And it saves a lot of money unless you want to buy a bunch of different coloured embossing powders!

There is a big difference between types of ink- such as dye inks cannot usually be embossed as they dry too quickly - but sometimes dye inks can be embossed - if you are quick. Pigment inks need to be embossed and are designed for that as they are slow to dry.. if ever!

Usually one would use Classic SU - *dye* ink's for watercolouring the way you have mentioned .. and for embossing one would use the Craft * pigment* SU Ink. But friends of mine say that they can emboss with with the classic spots if they are quick - but I have not tried it myself.

You might want a good non running black ink like stazon on Black - which won't emboss - but it will not run if you water colour it..

There is a lot to know about inks depending on you colouring method - but there is likely a thread on somewhere.

PM if you have a question! Good luck!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2009, 11:30 PM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

ohhhh thanks for the tips on inks. I did not even think about ink running while watercoloring. I will get some of the black stazon ink you suggested for that purpose. Also I only ordered dye inks so I think I will ge some pigment ones for embossing then, as I know I won't be quick enough (at least not in the begining) to use the dye inks for that. Sounds like a good idea to get a wide variety of inks to have on hand for whatever I might need them for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 12:41 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I would highly recommend the MM paper trimmer because that's what was recommended to me as a must have and I'm VERY glad I got it. I use it daily and constantly. If you have a lot of cs & embellishments then I would think about the essentials. I would just think about a very simple card and what you really need. You will always add more stamps and accessories to your collection, so no worries there. I always need a very sharp pair of craft scissors, bone folder, adhesive (ATG gun, nice investment because you'll save money on refills in the long run) & some color pencils or markers. Once the addiction kicks in, you'll be unstoppable. I'm anxious for you, have fun!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 03:05 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

As for inks, first and foremost a versamark pad. It is so versatile and can be used for lots of different techniques. If you have a dye ink which runs when water is added, its not much good for watercolouring with other colours but gives a lovely monochromatic effect just on its own with some of the ink dragged into the image with a damp brush. I am actually starting to prefer heat embossing using a dye ink (I use adirondack, great pigments, great quality). As someone else has said, you do have to be quick, but it gives a very crisp impression. For stamping sentiments I always use versafine inks, they give a crisp neat impression every time (I learnt this having spoiled many a card at the last step when I smudged a sentiment).

By and large using clear embossing powder over a stamped image it better and saves you having to buy a whole rake of different colour embossing powders. It also keeps the embossing neat looking. The exceptions to this are the metallics which in my opinion are best done with embossing powders of the right colour. Have fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 05:13 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mommavi1181....I would also agree with most of what is written in the previous posts on this thread.

I would add that if you use color ink and the same or very similar color embossing powder you will get a much deeper/vibrant result. Using just VersaMark ink with clear embossing powder over a color ink stamped image will certainly show color, but not as much. It will give the color ink more of a shiny look. (personal opinion)

Also check out your local craft stores for the sentiment stamps. You can get just the ones you want individually and they will in the end be cheaper. Purchasing in sets may give you ones you would not use. Most craft stores run sales on stamps quite frequently where going through a consultant/demonstrator business seldom do. You also can use coupons in the stores.

There is also the option of unmounted and clear stamps to consider.

You sound like you have enough to get started to begin creating now.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 07:49 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

i think a stamp & scrub are a MUST have when stamping!

just pace yourself! 'dabble' instead of going 'full on' until you see what you like.

it will be a waste to invest in all the supplies for a certain technique to find you don't like it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 10:28 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

You need a good bone folder. I never really understood why until I invested in the Teflon "bone" folder that Ellen Hutson carries; it's rocked my creative world! Welcome to the world of stamping/card-making, and have fun!

Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 10:42 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

TFS Carol, I didn't know about the "teflon" bone folder. I'll have to give it a try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 01:39 PM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

Wow you all have been a big help. I am putting a list together of a few more things I want to get for starters and this thread is a HUGE help!

One more question
What exactly is a bone folder?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 02:06 PM   #15  
Crimping Master

>One more question
>What exactly is a bone folder?

Why, it's a thing you use to fold bones! No, it's really a spare fingernail. You can use it for scoring or for making a crisp crease/fold. It's called a bone folder because they used to be made out of animal bone; you can actually still get some made out of real bone, but they're usually made out of plastic now. As I wrote before, I really like the Teflon one I got from Ellen Hutson; it's very smooth and has just a little weight to it, so it makes beautiful folds.

Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 02:10 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by melolearyView Post
>One more question
>What exactly is a bone folder?

Why, it's a thing you use to fold bones! No, it's really a spare fingernail. You can use it for scoring or for making a crisp crease/fold. It's called a bone folder because they used to be made out of animal bone; you can actually still get some made out of real bone, but they're usually made out of plastic now. As I wrote before, I really like the Teflon one I got from Ellen Hutson; it's very smooth and has just a little weight to it, so it makes beautiful folds.

Carol

yup!

love love my bone folder!

i used to use a pampered chef scrapper before i bought mine. worked for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 02:35 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

You don't necessarily have to buy craft inks to emboss. One little trick I learned from my SCS sisters is to stamp first in Versamark, then in my dye ink, and I can emboss anything! Add a little clear EP over the top and you're good to go!

I do agree about the waterproof ink pad. Stazon is good to start with for watercoloring.

As far as watercoloring with a blender pen, you should be able to work on card stock (as long as you don't go over one area a ton) without pilling. If you want to work with a waterbrush/aquapainter, you'll be happier with the results if you use watercolor paper.

Here are a few versatile sentiments for you to check out:

Sincere Salutations
All Holidays
Hugs and Wishes
Thank you Kindly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 02:43 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

If you are going to try embossing, I say woo-hooo! I didn't try that until a few months ago when my mom was here and I was using her supplies. I was hooked and I just had to get an embossing gun. I love to emboss!!! My preference for most projects is to use the clear powder over my favorite colors.
I'm sure you're having a blast preparing what supplies to buy. After all, that seems like half the fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 02:47 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

You will definetely need a Cuttlebug, embossing folders and Nestabilites.
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 05:12 PM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Everyone had great answers for you. I just want to add - start out doing the challenges here on SCS. They are a great way to learn a lot of new techniques, color combos, sketches etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 05:32 PM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

You said that you have scrapbooked--if you use the Creative Memories cutting system, you can also use the ovals and circles very nicely for matting your cards and designs. I use mine a lot! Also, if you already have a pampered chef brown stone "cleaner/square" this can be used as a bone folder also. An inexpensive adhesive for me is the double-sided tape from scotch/3M--with the yellow package background. The stampin' scrub is invaluable, too. Oh, I would suggest the Stampin' Up Sincere Salutations sentiments set. Have a great time playing and having fun with card making! I love how it can put a smile on someone's face to receive a handmade card!
Reply With Quote Likes