Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-04-2008, 08:54 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help! Curing/Drying White Craft Ink on Plastic

Help! Is there any way to cure/dry white SU Craft ink on plastic/acetate? I decided to stamp little motifs in white craft ink onto a card I made on clear plastic; now I find the heat gun warps the plastic...two days ago I stamped and still the ink is wet...any ideas? I hate to lose the work I did on this card, and it's so cute, too...

Pax et bonum,

Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2008, 09:25 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, but craft ink does NOT dry on nonporous surfaces -- ever! I've gone back to stamps that I wasn't good about cleaning and the ink was still wet days or even WEEKS later! Try white StazOn.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2008, 10:27 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Waaah! I live in a land without Stazon...what if I sprayed with hairspray???

Pax et bonum,

Carol in Korea

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4dView Post
Sorry, but craft ink does NOT dry on nonporous surfaces -- ever! I've gone back to stamps that I wasn't good about cleaning and the ink was still wet days or even WEEKS later! Try white StazOn.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2008, 03:50 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 595 Likes on 244 Posts

Hairspray or any sealer won't work, you will just have a sticky and wet piece of plastic. You can use white embossing powder and heat with the heat gun fairly far away.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2008, 04:37 AM   #5  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If you find some transparencies designed for a laser printer, you could try that with the embossing powder. Those are designed to withstand heat better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2008, 03:05 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Carol, there are many online stores where you could get a StazOn pad. Another option is to contact one of your buddies or relatives back in the States and get them to drop one in the mail for you!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2008, 09:50 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenDragonLadyView Post
If you find some transparencies designed for a laser printer, you could try that with the embossing powder. Those are designed to withstand heat better.
Yes, I just did this last week. I bought the "copier" transparencies from Staples. If you buy the ones meant for copiers, then you CAN use your heat gun on them, because they're designed to go through a high temp. copier.

I stamped some snowflakes on the transparency using SU white craft ink, and then covered them in white embossing powder, shook off excess, and then used my heat gun to "melt" the powder.

My transparency did not burn/melt, and the heat didn't curl or warp the transparency either (much to my surprise).

Make sure you hold your heat gun a little further away from your image than you normally would.

I also heated my images from under (I waved the heat gun back and forth while holding the transparency over the gun)

Also, I ran my heat gun for approx. 30 secs. BEFORE putting my transparency near it, so that I didn't have to keep the heat on the image longer than necessary.

Hope that helps!

PS. The embossed snowflakes looked GREAT! This would work reall well with any image and color of embossing powder, although I used SU powder, so I don't know if other brands would turn out as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2008, 11:12 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,069 Likes on 822 Posts

I've used a hairdryer rather than a heatgun to set Brilliance on regular acetate and it seemed to work. At least to the extent that it doesn't smudge when I rub it (gently, LOL).
But definitely spraying hairspray or any varnish on top of something that is not dry is just a shortcut to a sticky mess that will still never dry :-).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2008, 06:03 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

SU! sells white stazon as do many online retailers..

Even with embossing I have found that Craft/Pigment inks will rub off of acetate, glass, and other non-porous surfaces. Embossing powder is intended for paper surfaces.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2008, 08:44 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1mom02View Post
SU! sells white stazon as do many online retailers...
SU! doesn't have demos in Korea yet, unless it's on military bases, which is why my first thought was to get a friend or family member stateside to purchase one for her -- I wonder whether online ordering works there?

My Stampin' Up! blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2008, 04:45 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

You made me confident enough to just rub off my craft ink and do without. Sure enough, it left a totally clear surface, thank goodness. I will upload the card soon--I think it came out cute even without the extra white images on the plastic.

Everyone: thank you for your suggestions and insights. They are just not practical to me without going down the slippery slope of mail ordering even more stuff than I already have stockpiled. You know, if I buy X, then I'll look on the next page and also order Y, etc., etc.!

Pax et bonum,

Carol

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4dView Post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2008, 05:31 PM   #12  
Inking Addict

I cannot buy any supplies here in Bali,Indonesia. I order everything over the net

jogry/bali
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2008, 12:43 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

I use the white Opaque Staz-On on acetate, not the regular staz-on. It comes as a set--an un-inked pad and inker. It is extremely fast drying, so you only put ink on the pad when you are going to use it. I got mine at Joanne's--regular price $9.99, and I used a 50% coupon. They come in quite a few pastel colors. I've seen them in Michael's too, but not as big a selection of colors as Joanne's had.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2008, 03:14 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

What about Palette inks? Can you get those or are all inks unavailable? I say this because New Canvas is an opaque white. Would that work? It wouldn't be quite the same as Craft or, I imagine, StazOn. But, it will dry on plastic if you heat set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2008, 06:00 AM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

I finally uploaded the card with the wiped-off acetate: Inga Caterpillar to Butterfly on Acetate, Graduation Card by **Carol** at Splitcoaststampers Inga the Caterpillar to Butterfly on Acetate, Graduation Card by **Carol** at Splitcoaststampers

Thank you for all your suggestions. I'll have to look into those Stazon and Palette products some time...when the budget allows some browsing!

Pax et bonum,

Carol

Quote:

Originally Posted by **Carol**View Post
You made me confident enough to just rub off my craft ink and do without. Sure enough, it left a totally clear surface, thank goodness. I will upload the card soon--I think it came out cute even without the extra white images on the plastic.

Everyone: thank you for your suggestions and insights. They are just not practical to me without going down the slippery slope of mail ordering even more stuff than I already have stockpiled. You know, if I buy X, then I'll look on the next page and also order Y, etc., etc.!

Pax et bonum,

Carol
Reply With Quote Likes