Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-09-2008, 01:06 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what kind of camera do YOU have

I am in the process of buying a new camera, and am wanting to read anybodys input on what they love or hate about their camera. Please gimme some info.... I always like to read what people think about their equipment. I have gone to steves digicam reviews and another one, but I would like to hear what fellow spllitcoasters have to say about their camera.

thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 01:12 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

I have a Nikon Cool Pix. It's a few years old but I love the ease of use, awesome picture quality, and duribility (it's taken many a spill). I'm not so hot on the slow speed between pictures which is why I've looked for a new camera but I haven't settled on a new one because I love my current one so much.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 01:15 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

I have a 7.2 megapixel pink sony. It takes great pictures and is small enough to fit in my purse
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 01:17 PM   #4  
Chattin' & Sippin' in SPAM-Land

I'm a camera ho. I have the Canon Digital Rebel, (shares lenses with my 35mm Canon EOS A2) for quickie snapshots I also have a Panasonic TZ1. Those are the 3 that I could grab right now and would be charged up and ready to shoot (well, excpet that I'd have to load film in the A2). I also have a Fuji Fine Pix that I keep around because it's got digital macro function that works better than any of my other digital cameras, even if it is only 3MP.

If you want to read up on camera reviews, check out dpreview.com They have REALLY in depth reviews of just about every model out there.

I like my Canon because I've been shooting Canon film cameras for YEARS, so I am familiar with their control set-up. I like the Panasonic I have... it's got great zoom and focuses well in low light with the aid of a focus lamp. I do have issues with it not flashing enough light sometimes, but I can usually fix that in photoshop. My best friend has a Nikon which I have used a couple times and it is very nice. The controls are where I would expect them to be and the menus aren't too confusing.

Last edited by crazycatstamper; 01-09-2008 at 01:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 01:22 PM   #5  
Glitter Queen

Back in OCT., DH got me a NIKON 40Dx, OMG, its THE BEST camera ever!! LOVE IT!! I never miss a shot anymore. Its expensive, but worth it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 01:26 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

I have besides my 2 dslrs a Koday Z712 12x optical zoom and it is fantastic, I love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 01:30 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Canon EOS Rebel xti. At the time I bought it, there was no other camera with its features available for under $1000. That may still be the case, I don't know. I've had it for a year. It was just a little under $1000.

What I like is that it's a very capable camera for the average Joe. It doesn't go through batteries because it has a chargeable battery. It's fast. I hate waiting around for my two little $100 cameras to get their act together! The picture quality is second to none.

What I don't like is that it's actually more camera than the average Joe needs. It's also too big to fit in my purse. And for me, it's an expensive thing that needs a great deal of care. I'm nervous about taking it places. I worry it will get knocked off counters or tables. This is just me. I feel like I could set my little HP or Kodak on a table and not worry about it falling or getting stolen. My Canon is desirable and easily could be a target for a thief.
Also, if you have young kids, will you let them play around with an expensive camera? I don't let my 4yo fiddle with the Canon, but I let him play with the other two all the time. My sister has one model older than me, and she let her 9yo use it all the time with no problem.

It may sound like I don't like my Canon, but that's not true, it's just that it requires more responsible use. Did you read on here about a year ago when Ellen Lockhart (I think) set her expensive new Nikon in a corner on its tripod, and as she walked away it fell to the tile floor and smashed into a million pieces? I felt so awful for her, and I worry about stuff like that now. Yes, I'm neurotic. I thought that went without saying!
My A Muse Studio

Last edited by stargirl; 01-09-2008 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: More explanation
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 01:32 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

I have a Canon Rebel xti. I've used Canons for 22 years and love them. I love that my film and digi lenses are interchangeable. The camera is lightweight. There is virtually no lag time. Shooting rapid fire sporting events or other moving things is so easy and gives great shots. Our OSU vs Mich game pics are wonderful. On the other hand, if I was mostly shooting portraits I would probably go with a Nikon. Just my 2 cents.

My Gallery
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=52833
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 01:47 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

I have a Konica/Minolta Diamage 3 (I think). It is a few years old, but it works great. It is 4 mega pixels, which isn't very many these days but the pictures are fabulous. The thing I like best is the 10x zoom. The thing I like least is that it is quite big and heavy. If I had my choice I would keep this one for great outdoor shots, but buy a smaller pocket-sized one for vacations, etc.

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 01:47 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

canon digi rebel slr and a canon 520 powershot
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 01:51 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Canon xti here also.. looking at the 5d
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 01:53 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

My husband bought me the Nikon D 50 last year for my birthday and I love it...here are the specs.....

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...roductNr=25216
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 01:55 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have a HP photosmart R717. It pretty much does everything I want it to do, has video, and is simple to figure out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 02:05 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

i was leaning towards the sony dsc series, but now maybe nikon is better? I currently have the nikon coolpix, and do NOT like it at all, digital slr sounds much better???? any advice would be great
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 02:09 PM   #15  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have had a Nikon D50 digital SLR and it is amazing!!! Not exactly the most compact camera but it is my baby and DH very rarely gets to touch it!!!!! I also have a 300 mm lens and its magnificent!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 02:10 PM   #16  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I would never go back to a "point and shoot" camera as I love all the options that I have with this camera Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 02:28 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

canon power shot A620

love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 02:35 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

I have a Canon XTi. Got it for a bday present. I loved it because it's a lot better than a point and shoot but I think my husband's now wishing he got me the 30D (then... now it's the 40D) at least. I've ran out of buttons to push.

My photo skills are not at the pro level but I do love all the features the bigger camera has. For example my ISO is 100, 200, 400, 800, and 1600 where the bigger ones go into some other random increments and I have found a few times where I did need those in betweens. There are also other control options in the menu.

The XTi is quite light and to me it feels like a toy where the bigger ones feel like a real camera. I also received a silver one and not a black. But I guess it's just my personal taste since I always think of real camera shades as black and nothing else.

I guess the price does make a big difference (XTi was under $1000 and now it's even less, especially if you buy online) but if I were to buy my own, I'd look at the 40D (maybe there's a 50 now... not sure) or the 5D. I want something that I can grow into and since I'm really into experimenting and trying to improve I do wish I had something more powerful with more settings. If you were to buy a DSLR, I'd skip the kit. Just get the body and get yourself a nice lens.

Happily designing for WPlus9 and CSS stamps, Waltzingmouse sketch, Scarlet Lime kit club, and the Digichick Card Caravan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 02:38 PM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by blondie090277View Post
I would never go back to a "point and shoot" camera as I love all the options that I have with this camera Hope that helps!
Me neither...but I've always had 35mm that have been bulky...I've never been a "point and shoot" kinda girl....the D50 is the first digital that I've had and I love it....but definetly not a camera that would fit in your purse! So, if you're looking for something compact thats not the way to go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 02:47 PM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

For Christmas we treated ourselves and upgraded to a Digital SLR - Nikon D40X and although it is very expensive, I am in love with this camera. It takes great photos and I haven't even begun to look thru the manual to see what else it can do. No, it is not a little bitty camera that fits in your pocket - my little Olympus stylus did, but it took far inferior photos.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 03:59 PM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

I have the Canon A630. It is a great little camera and will hold me over until I can afford the Canon Rebel.

Remember - never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 04:09 PM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

I have a Canon Rebel XT - I bought it after the XTi came out so the price had dropped. I'm not sure what most people do, but I bought the base alone and then a high quality zoom lens seperate.

I would have also been happy with a Nikon, those babies rock as well.

For a small portable camera I have an Olympus Camedia - I think again this was an older model (but still good).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 04:13 PM   #23  
Mad Swapper

I just bought myself a Nikon D40, plus an additional zoom lens. I love it. You can put in the battery (a rechargable) and the memory card, set the thing to AUTO, and take beautiful pictures. The store I purchased it from (Ritz camera) is offering free classes, so I'm taking those. In the meantime, I got a book on the Nikon, which is excellent. It explains all the features and their use in detail, when and why you'd use certain settings, etc. So I've been experiementing and having fun.

No way will it fit in my purse, but it came with a camera bag. I wanted a better camera than my Olympus 3 MP point and shoot so I could get photos of the kids doing their sports or performing on a stage...things I just couldn't get with my old camera. The LED screen is big and you can do some post shot editing in the camera before printing out the photos. I'm not an expert with cameras, I just use one a lot, and am quite happy with it.

Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 04:20 PM   #24  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargirlView Post
Canon EOS Rebel xti. At the time I bought it, there was no other camera with its features available for under $1000. That may still be the case, I don't know. I've had it for a year. It was just a little under $1000.

What I like is that it's a very capable camera for the average Joe. It doesn't go through batteries because it has a chargeable battery. It's fast. I hate waiting around for my two little $100 cameras to get their act together! The picture quality is second to none.

What I don't like is that it's actually more camera than the average Joe needs. It's also too big to fit in my purse. And for me, it's an expensive thing that needs a great deal of care. I'm nervous about taking it places. I worry it will get knocked off counters or tables. This is just me. I feel like I could set my little HP or Kodak on a table and not worry about it falling or getting stolen. My Canon is desirable and easily could be a target for a thief.
Also, if you have young kids, will you let them play around with an expensive camera? I don't let my 4yo fiddle with the Canon, but I let him play with the other two all the time. My sister has one model older than me, and she let her 9yo use it all the time with no problem.

It may sound like I don't like my Canon, but that's not true, it's just that it requires more responsible use. Did you read on here about a year ago when Ellen Lockhart (I think) set her expensive new Nikon in a corner on its tripod, and as she walked away it fell to the tile floor and smashed into a million pieces? I felt so awful for her, and I worry about stuff like that now. Yes, I'm neurotic. I thought that went without saying!
I agree with a lot of these statements. Sometimes it can feel cumbersome, but if you get a good quality camera bag and really learn how to use it (there great books on this specific camera and its features which is a better explanation than the manuals) you'll be glad you had it. And FYI you can get this camera for $600-$700 now, possibly even cheaper if you happen to catch a sale/coupon/etc. I know they sell this at costco (it is $650 right now).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 04:23 PM   #25  
Mad Swapper

I have a point and shoot Kodak Easy Share V550...its very sleek and sexy and fits into my pocket!

I will be updgrading to a DSLR though within the next year...I am going to Italy next year and want a high quality camera to capture the trip of my lifetime! But even so, I'll still keep my little P&S for running around with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 05:29 PM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

I have a Sony 7.2 Megapixel Cyber-shot and I love it. It's easy to use too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 05:55 PM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Canon Power Shot SD450 Elph - Excellent pictures, reasonable price, tiny, easy to use. A purchase I have never regretted. Sometimes I feel quilty about my Minolta SLR with all the lenses just sitting in my huge camera case. Well, maybe not too guilty!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 05:57 PM   #28  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

I have a Panasonic Lumix. My son, who works in a camera store, sold it to me. It has a 10X zoom, which I love. It has a rechargable battery (charger included) which costs more to begin with, but has saved me tons of money in the long run!
My daughter fell in love with it, and I bought her the latest version of it for Christmas. It is an awsome camera! It takes much better pics than our previous ones. (I had a CoolPix and she had a Powershot.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 08:00 PM   #29  
Crimping Master

I have a Nikon D40X (10.2 MP) and a Sony DSC-N1 (10.2 MP with a 3" touch screen), I use them both in different circumstances. I am very happy with both cameras.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 08:33 PM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

LOVE my Canon Rebel! There's not a thing that I don't like about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 08:39 PM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

I have the Rebel xti and love it! I got at 75-300 lens for Christmas but haven't had a chance to really use it yet. I took my rebel to Disney and didn't have any worries about it. I just carried it on my shoulder all day. It wasn't that heavy either. Now with the big lens, it is a bigger deal. I need a new bag and there would be more to carry. DH is thinking of getting me an in between lens.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 08:42 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have an HP M547. I don't like it very much, but that is my fault for not doing research before buying. If anyone moves (including me) while I'm taking their photo, the photo comes out blurry if I turn the flash off. I prefer taking photos without flash, because then people don't know that I'm taking pictures, and they look more natural and more relaxed.

The initial software that comes with this camera is great. But whenever I get "updates", it screws up something completely. I've reached the point where I refuse to click on anymore of their software updates (this is with the HP printer I have as well; not just the HP camera).

But the camera is okay for when I take photos of cards for SCS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2008, 10:13 PM   #33  
Stampin' Fool

I have a Canon powershot A630. I absolutely love it. It is a little bigger than some digital cameras but I don't like the smaller ones because I don't feel like I have as much control. It takes 4 AA batteries so the batteries last a very long time. I use rechargeables and have 2 sets of 4 that I rotate.

My camera gets used a lot. I am the yearbook coordinator for a local homeschool group and I use it for pictures at all the events. My daughter and her friends use to take pictures constantly. Actually it gets passed around and used quite frequently.

The photos turn out great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2008, 04:16 AM   #34  
Glitter Guru

I have a Sony Alpha 100. It is a DSLR. Do I think you need a DSLR? Well, that depends...I am very picky with my pictures. I loved my 35mm and was not willing to budge unless we got something that was as good or better. I also have 3 kids under 7, so I need something that does not have lag time when taking a picture.

I love this camera! It does a ton more than what I need it for, but the pictures are to die for!! It can rapid fire so I don't miss a pic. It is heavier than a point and shoot, but so was my 35mm so I was used to that.

Might I recommend popphoto.com? We did research on that before buying. This was an investment that we hope will last for at least as long as our 35mm did.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2008, 04:21 AM   #35  
Polyshrink Goddess

My Nikon D50 is my best friend. I love the way I can get my daughter pitching the ball, and watching the ball go right past the batter. The rapid shutter is the best thing ever. I wanted to buy a little smaller camera to just carry in my purse, but can't find anything that comes close to my Nikon D50. Good luck in your search.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2008, 05:13 AM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a Canon S5 IS. It's considered a bridge camera - in between a point and shoot and an SLR. Tons of features, 12X image stabilized optical zoom, 8MP. I'm still learning how to use it, but it's a really good camera that takes beautiful pictures. And it's more affordable than a good SLR, if budget is a consideration.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2008, 05:29 AM   #37  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuts4levibuttsView Post
i was leaning towards the sony dsc series, but now maybe nikon is better? I currently have the nikon coolpix, and do NOT like it at all, digital slr sounds much better???? any advice would be great
Mine is an older (2 yrs) Sony DSC S90. I love it-large view screen, came with RECHARGEABLE AA batteries-no special size- but a little more eco friendly. The charge lasts for a long time, and I just keep an extra pair ready so I'm good to go all the time. It was user friendly-I'm not real computer literate. It is a little slow on taking action shots-but I'm sure the newer ones are better. Mine is only 4.1 megapix. Last yr we got my Mom the newer version and she loves it too. Hers is 7+ megapix and much tinier than mine. Considering it was a present for her 74th BD it is very easy to use. It will fit easily in a pocket, and you should see the pics she takes with it.

OH wait!!! I can attach!!! This is a close up of beans from her garden.
My Facebook Page

Last edited by diane617; 01-03-2012 at 04:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2008, 05:39 AM   #38  
Mad Swapper

I have the Canon Power Shot S3 IS. I am a camera junky and did a lot of research on digital cameras. This camera is amazing! I do know they have an upgrade now with 8 mega pixels and 12 Optical zoom. Here are some of the best features and to be quite honest only one flaw. The one flaw is that the screen is only a 2 1/2 screen instead of a really nice big 3 inch screen. So here are the highlights:
1. no lag time between taking pictures/NEVER misses a photo op!
2. larger than a small purse like camera/ I like larger cameras
3. 10X OPTICAL zoom! Many camera only have 3-5 times OPTICAL zoom. With the digital zoom it goes up to 22X zoom.
4. The red eye is almost non existant. I really dislike cameras that give red eye every time you take a picture even with the red eye on. This one is great!
5. Has many manual features for manual use
6. simple point and shoot if you are not into the manual features
7. Has Image stabilization which is a must on any camera
Well those are the highlighted features. Good luck in your search.
There are many more amazing features but these are the highlights.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2008, 06:15 AM   #39  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleStamperView Post
I have a Nikon Cool Pix. It's a few years old but I love the ease of use, awesome picture quality, and duribility (it's taken many a spill). I'm not so hot on the slow speed between pictures which is why I've looked for a new camera but I haven't settled on a new one because I love my current one so much.
That's what I have. But, yup--it's old. :( I do OK with it, but, when I see the photography by others with more capable/powerful cameras, I must confess to camera envy . . . :p I know it's not just the camera--a lot of it has to do with the photographer's skill, but, I imagine it's a 50/50 --a combination of both skill AND a kick-butt camera that = awesome photos

New camera for mama, or new laptop for daughter going off to college . . . Unfortunately, I can't eat my cake and have it, too . . . ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2008, 07:35 AM   #40  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by blondie090277View Post
I have had a Nikon D50 digital SLR and it is amazing!!! Not exactly the most compact camera but it is my baby and DH very rarely gets to touch it!!!!! I also have a 300 mm lens and its magnificent!!!
I also have a Nikon D50, and love it. I've been able to get some very nice shots out of it. They not longer make the D50 though - it has been replaced by the D40 - which is amazing camera! The thing I like about Nikons is that most of the lenses are compatible with every camera they make. So my lenses that currently fit my D50 will fit a D80 and so on. For some really good, easy to read reviews on the D40 and other Nikon cameras (plus awesome photography advice) check out kenrockwell.com. I've spent hours on his website!

My blog: Stephanie B. Designs
Reply With Quote Likes