Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-09-2007, 02:24 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pick your brains!!! - Help me out?

Hiya girls

Okay, as you know Stampin Up is coming to UK on 15 November. Now I am holding off until then to see the cattie we are going to get, cause its on 80 pages!!! (I know, 80 pages, boo hoo) anyhow, what I want some feedback on is this, when you went to or did your very FIRST SU party, did you already have some demo cards made up or did you wing it? And, did you check if any of the girls that were coming were experienced crafters, stampers, etc etc. This is where I am have a very minor headache at the mo, cause I am not sure whether to go with a simple card, with maybe one layer, stamped image and ribbon or to go a bit more? So many people don't stamp in the UK, have never stamped, and wouldn't know where to start, they don't watercolour, etc - any ideas, don't care how short or long they are, anything you can say will be hugely appreciated

Many hugs and thanks in advance

Alex xx

My blog - http://sillybirds.blogspot.com/
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2007, 03:06 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Maybe I'm not the best person to answer this because I haven't demonstrated a workshop or camp yet, but I'll just let you know what my upline does when she goes to a workshop.

Almost everyone in her group has stamped before, but if she knows she is having someone new to stamping, she will definitely go through a demo on how to mount stamps. She always has the demo cards made and put in clear sleeves because people like to look at the example as to how to put the card together. Of course, all the papers, ribbons, embellishments, etc. are already cut and given to everyone. She explains how to make that card, step by step, and the example is there in the middle of the table for people to look at.

You don't want the cards and projects at workshops so complicated that a beginner is having trouble. But on the other hand, you want to be able to demo enough different elements so that you can sell other items such as punches, the the stamp-a-ma-jig, embossing gun, and other accessories like brads, eyelets and then demo the tool kit. Maybe one card will use chalks, another card will use markers or crayons, etc. Even the special scissors to cut your stamp rubber. Everything is a sale!

Last edited by blizlady; 11-09-2007 at 03:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2007, 04:28 PM   #3  
Inking Addict

At my first workshop I already had demo cards made up. My make-n-takes were quite simple, but like blizlady suggested, each one used different elements and techniques. I did a 6x6 scrapbook page with two-step stamping, and a card using stamping and colouring with pastels and blender pens.
Before the make-n-takes, I demonstrated how to mount the stamps. I mounted a stamp from one of the incentive sets and gave it to the hostess to keep. Also, the hostess got to keep the scrapbook page and card that I demonstrated. This is great for the hostess, and may help entice other guests to book workshops if they see the hostess getting all these freebies!
Above all, I would suggest keeping things fairly simple. If you've been stamping for awhile, it's easy to forget that it can be somewhat intimidating if you've never done it before!
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2007, 04:30 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Can you ask them when they sign up what their experience level is? Would save a lot of guessing...

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2007, 04:31 PM   #5  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by SillybirdView Post
when you went to or did your very FIRST SU party, did you already have some demo cards made up or did you wing it? And, did you check if any of the girls that were coming were experienced crafters, stampers, etc etc. This is where I am have a very minor headache at the mo, cause I am not sure whether to go with a simple card, with maybe one layer, stamped image and ribbon or to go a bit more?
For every SU event I've gone to, the demo has an example of the finished card out on the table for us to look at and help us make our card from. They usually have one finished card for us to look at, but depending on the size of the group you may want to consider having more than one on display.

You could also consider having a bit of a range of project complexities available. Maybe one card can be very simple, and the second one can have a bit more but nothing hugely time-consuming to do for beginners. You might also want to have some display examples of "stepped up" versions (more layers, sponging, distressing, etc.) of that night's projects in addition to any other display cards you bring in for customers to admire.

You must be so chuffed about your first event!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2007, 05:34 PM   #6  
Inking Addict

Well, as a non-demo, I'd like to share what got me hooked using the products. First off, my sister-in-law, who was my demo, did some embossing - which I totally flipped out over - it was SOOOOO easy! Next, using chalks was just a magical transformation to a card when using VersaMark. Demo a slicer, which was very useful to see how it was used. Something simple to start. Or take one card and do it several different ways! Ink it, versamark it, emboss it, use a punch for the same stamp, etc... By using the SAME card foundation and using different techniques, expands peoples creative minds and shows how versatile SU really is!!! I got hooked and barely do cards anymore and I do all kinds of crafts and am doing craft shows now! Way too much fun stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes