Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-23-2007, 06:31 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stampin' Up VS TAC/CTMH

Well,
I have been doing a lot of thinking TAC has some good benefits but not a very good compensation plan or incentives to build a buisness but there is more opportunity as there are un der 4,000 demos -offer unmounted stamps and 25% discount ; SU has been around the longest- the market is saturated with demo's so to find a customer base that is not already someone's customer ..so building as buisness could be tough -offer 20% discount . They only offer mounted stamps ...CTMH offer unmounted ; don't know much about the discount or compensation plan or discount I would love some input as to the pro's and cons before I decide to sign up to be a demo
Thanks Much
BG
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2007, 06:39 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

I recently signed on as a TAC demo. I can tell you that they are about to come out with a new compensation plan. They have a panel, which includes some TAC demos, that is putting the final touches on it right now. It's all pretty hush, hush, but they say we will be very happy with it.

As for the company in general. I love their company philosophy, angel policy, quarter requirements, and their office staff is extremely nice and helpful.

FYI--The sign-up bonus for October is going to be an additional $50 in stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2007, 06:40 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I love SU! I have worked at Stampin' Up! for years and not until recently did I become a demo. I love being a demo.
I live in a town of around 3000 and we have 7 demos already. So you either work at SU or you know a demo. So I know what you mean. I love being able to just share my passion for stamping with others.
I offer classes and do not expect to sell anything. In doing this I have been able to reach my minimums.
I hope that I have answered some of your questions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2007, 06:42 PM   #4  
Glitter Queen

I am a CTMH demo and I make 22% but I don't have a downline. If I did I would make more. I like our stamps because you don't have to cut them out and mount them and they take up a lot less room. I signed up with CTMH more for the scrapbooking side of it but have also found a lot of stamp sets I like as well. I do however support SU as well. They have much more of a selection of stamps. I personally feel the two companies work together and don't really compete. There are some stamp sets that customers are really going to like with CTMH and some SU. I agree with there being a lot a lot of SU consultants out there. I personally know of at least three in my area. My customers really like CTMH as do most people once they see an idea book. It is just getting the name out there that is the hard part.

Melissa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2007, 06:58 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

CTMH - 22% Discount. Bonuses for sales start at $100/month. They have a nice rewards program, you get points starting at $300/month and they have many low point items. Also, $350 shows and above get at least one half price item in addition to host dollars.

If you like unmounted, CTMH is very high quality photopolymer clear. Their blocks are second to none on the market. Their ink is formulated for clear stamps, and, they offer the same cardstock/ink/embellishment coordination that Stampin Up Does.

Stampin Up offers tools like punches and crop-a-dile. CTMH does not. I don't know about TAC's offerings in this area.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2007, 07:49 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncmel26View Post
I am a CTMH demo and I make 22% but I don't have a downline. If I did I would make more. I like our stamps because you don't have to cut them out and mount them and they take up a lot less room. I signed up with CTMH more for the scrapbooking side of it but have also found a lot of stamp sets I like as well. I do however support SU as well. They have much more of a selection of stamps. I personally feel the two companies work together and don't really compete. There are some stamp sets that customers are really going to like with CTMH and some SU. I agree with there being a lot a lot of SU consultants out there. I personally know of at least three in my area. My customers really like CTMH as do most people once they see an idea book. It is just getting the name out there that is the hard part.

Melissa

Here here, I like both SU and CTMH and struggled for over a year to decide which one I wanted to demo for. I decided on CTMH due to space issues and the fact that they were more geared towards scrapbooking. You do earn a 22% commission and they just came out with a great online training program this year for consultants which include creative, business and professional development courses that are extremely informative and have been fun to take as well. They are really trying to take their consultants up to a new level.

www.NicoleEBecker.myctmh.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2007, 10:44 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdgeis1View Post
Well,
I have been doing a lot of thinking TAC has some good benefits but not a very good compensation plan or incentives to build a buisness but there is more opportunity as there are un der 4,000 demos -offer unmounted stamps and 25% discount ; SU has been around the longest- the market is saturated with demo's so to find a customer base that is not already someone's customer ..so building as buisness could be tough -offer 20% discount . They only offer mounted stamps ...CTMH offer unmounted ; don't know much about the discount or compensation plan or discount I would love some input as to the pro's and cons before I decide to sign up to be a demo
Thanks Much
BG
Just wanted to add the demo discount is 30% and the minimums are much easier to maintain at $100 every 4 months ($25 a month for 4 months vs $100 a month for 3 months with SU)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 03:33 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

TAC has some good benefits but not a very good compensation plan or incentives to build a buisness
The commission is 25% (the highest of the three) and we are able to earn commission on our downlines when we meet certain sales...and TAC does periodically have incentives for it's demos when they reach certain sales in a month. :mrgreen: They have also recently revamped their online portion for demos and I find it very helpful. I've been very happy with them for 5 years now.

I think the bottomline is that you have to like/love the images the company sells. You won't be able to sell something you aren't happy with and you won't survive as a hobby demo that way either...

Last edited by allamericanstampers; 09-24-2007 at 03:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 04:13 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm nobody's demo but it sounds like you are interested in this as a business opportunity as opposed to just getting a discount for yourself.

In addition to the compensation plan, I would also check out the cost of demo supplies, ease of ordering, returns, hostess benefits, demonstrator support, etc. Those will all factor into your bottom line.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 04:20 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Joan brings up a good point.
My customers receive their product in 5-6 days. Call Demo support, talk to a real person, and if they don't know, they will find out and call you back. They are always kind and helpful. I have never had to return anything, so I don't know on that. I did have one customer not receive her free stamp, and they promptly mailed it, and she receved it in 5 days . LOTS of incentives for customers and demos. In October, 3 different specials for hostesses. Also in Oct, Nov Dec, release of retired vintage stamps.
I could go on, but I need to get to my other job
karen S
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 04:35 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

The best thing to do is figure out WHAT TYPE of stamp you like best...

SU and TAC are both rubber stamps...SU can be mounted whereas TAC only comes UM and uses acrylic blocks.

CTMH are clear stamps that uses acrylic blocks.

You also have to look at what you want out of a company...

Before making ANY decisions I would highly suggest trying to meet face to face with a rep from each company you are interested in to find out more...

As JoanB stated there is alot more that you would need to look at...

True compensation...is there a difference between buying for yourself vs a customer order?

Can you pre-order items and have it count towards your minimums?

Are there extra bonus and perks to selling the product?

What happens if you don't meet your minimums - are you automatically dropped or is there a "grace" period"?

What are the "rules" for being a demo for that company?

Also when you do decide which company best suits your needs you need to find an upline that is going to fit you...are you the type of person that needs a lot of handholding and gentle pushing or do you want more of a hands-off upline...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 04:54 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

I also think you need to consider not just stamps but inks and cardstock. I know for me I chose SU! because everything goes together. Some days I seem to be color impaired so I get out the color wheel and all of the guess work is done for me. I also prefer the way SU! stamps come in sets. Works for me and works for my customers. I live in a tiny village and know at least 4 other demos but never have any trouble generating interest in classes and sales.
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 05:16 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

Another thing to consider is that with TAC you can always be your own Hostess and get all the benefits that go with that. I believe that with at least one of the other companies you can do that only once (I could be wrong or that could have changed??). For example, in October when we have double awards for customers and Hostess coming up, if you have several "stray" customer orders, you could put those together and be the hostess. That would earn you all the stamp sets and half price items to either use for yourself or as give-aways at events. You can do that as many times as you want to without a limit!

As someone stated, we've been told that our comp. plan is being enhanced and we should be pleased with it. I'm excited to find out what it is. We have been assured, though, that minimums won't change from $100 retail every 4 months and that the price of the starter kit won't change from its current $150.

HTH! :-)
TAC Demonstrator #1484/Manager, Smilin' Stampers
My TAC Site My BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 05:18 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Well,
Thanks Much
BG
SU has opportunity for volume rebates. The more you sell, the more you earn...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 05:32 AM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Well,
SU has been around the longest- the market is saturated with demo's so to find a customer base that is not already someone's customer ..so building as buisness could be tough -offer 20% discount BG
Just on the point of saturation, I think this can potentially be an issue in an isolated small town with a lot of demosntrators, but if you live in a larger urban or suburban area it's really not a problem. I live in the Chicago suburbs which would be considered super saturated not only with SU demos and demos for other competitive direct sales companies, but also with all sorts of big box and smaller craft, stamp and scrap stores. My suburb with a populations of 8,000 (very small by Chicagoland standards) has 3 demos, yet I rarely run into customers who have ever heard of Stampin' Up! or dealt with one of the other demos. In fact, I do quite a few workshops and I would say 90% of the workshop guests have never heard of stamping, much less Stampin' Up! So in my neck of the woods, based on my experience, I don't really buy into the "saturation" theory. In most geographic areas if you're willing to tell people about your business (and by that I mean strangers -- can you imagine how big Sam Wal's business would be if he only sold to his friends, family and neighbors?) you can easily find lots of people who will be new to stamping, regardless of which company you choose to sign up with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 06:12 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

If you do not totally believe in your product you will have a harder time being a good salesman(woman). So my best advice is to touch, feel, handle and use the product offered by each company. Is the cardstock/ paper the quality you want to represent? Do the ink and rubber produce the images you are looking for? Put the paper of each company beside each other, what company would you most like to represent? Can you use the product yourself and proudly talk about it? Do you like the idea of all matching product?

Also, your upline is going to be a valuable part of your business. I agree with several others who advised to talk to your potential upline. I would meet with each face to face and get their take on how they are going to support you.

Good luck with your decision.

Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 06:49 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

For me I love Stampin Up! I have played with CTMH stamps and I just don't like clear stamps. I have bought 2 sets from TAC because they were images that SU! didn't have anything close to and I wanted them. I love the images but SU! rubber is far better then TAC IMHO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 07:03 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbasprincessView Post
For me I love Stampin Up! I have played with CTMH stamps and I just don't like clear stamps. I have bought 2 sets from TAC because they were images that SU! didn't have anything close to and I wanted them. I love the images but SU! rubber is far better then TAC IMHO.
I was a SU customer for 6 years before I discovered TAC and became a demo, so I have lots of SU sets. I haven't noticed any difference in the rubber, except that the TAC rubber is a pretty blue color!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 07:11 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

I am on the Focus group for the new TAC compansation plan - and it is going to be good! Definately a way better business building plan with more levels and more incenitive to build a team and sell to earn more.

Another part to consider is they are not changing the minimum of $100 every 4 months to stay active!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 07:28 AM   #20  
Mad Swapper

I became a TAC demo for a few reasons... My area here in Austin, TX is completely saturated with SU demos; I would have a very hard time making $100/month minimums, whereas with TAC it's only $25/month; but the biggest factor for me was I like unmounted, and I couldn't Demo SU using the unmounted system. Most of my friends and fellow stampers are also going unmounted... so TAC was the best fit for me.. Ooh, and I forgot to mention, TAC sets are waaay cheaper. More bang for your buck!
Someone mentioned TAC having inferior rubber as opposed to SU. I have not found this to be true. The color is different. Maybe it seems different because it's not mounted on foam.

I still love SU though, and will continue to purchase the sets I love!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 07:58 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftymomof4View Post
I was a SU customer for 6 years before I discovered TAC and became a demo, so I have lots of SU sets. I haven't noticed any difference in the rubber, except that the TAC rubber is a pretty blue color!

For me I can't get a crisp stamped image when I use TAC stamps. It always looks a little muddy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 08:08 AM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

For me I can't get a crisp stamped image when I use TAC stamps. It always looks a little muddy.
I don't know what to tell you about that--weird. I used the TAC Gerbera Daisy stamp this morning. The details in that image are amazing. Turns out great for me. I've started using their Palette hybrid inks--it's a combination pigment and dye ink in one--great.

Maybe a more experienced TAC Angel could tell you what you might be doing wrong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 08:37 AM   #23  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Betty are you thinking about leaving TAC? We would hate to loose you!
From what I understand the New Commission should be good for everyone.

Better than it is now!

Now to answer another question: Not getting a good stamped image with TAC stamps.

I've been buying since 2002 and using unmounted rubber stamps since then too.

I've not ever had a problem with the image not being good.

Our stamps are Deeply etched Blue Rubber stamps and each stamp set that you purchase from The Angel Company comes with a full Sheet of Creative Cling foam.

These stamps were made to use with a acrylic Block.

But you can use wood block too. You'll have to adhere some glue to cling side to adhere to the wood block.

Or purchase Foam that is sticky on both sides.

When I use my unmounted TAC stamps I use a wooden surface. I don't press to hard. but just enough.

The inks I use are Palette inks, Colorbox Chalk inks, Versa Mark ink, StazOn ink, Brilliance inks. Wal-mart brand inks.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 08:55 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

The only time i have not gotten a clear image with ANY companies stamps is when their is a mica film on top. It is invisible - so you cannot see it with your eye but it can affect how the ink sits on the top of the stamp.

To remove it all you have to do is take a regular pencil eraser and rub it across the top of your stamp. It will not damage it in any way but it will rub off that mica film that they use in the pressing of rubber to release it from the plate.

This is especially useful when using bold images and will make them stamp much nicer. But it does also affect fine detail images as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 09:11 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
I'm nobody's demo but it sounds like you are interested in this as a business opportunity as opposed to just getting a discount for yourself.

In addition to the compensation plan, I would also check out the cost of demo supplies, ease of ordering, returns, hostess benefits, demonstrator support, etc. Those will all factor into your bottom line.
This is an excellent point. I'm not a demo either.

I have also seen many ladies on this site mention ANGEL POLICIES when dealing with these companies you have narrowed your choices to. One thing that may boost your profits are things that you can make & sell on your own. SU's policy is very specific. I have heard good things about TAC's angel policies...but I don't know anything about the CTMH angel policies...or if it has one.

I would check on those things, also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 09:43 AM   #26  
Kookie Creator

I chose TAC for several reasons. First, I love the $100, every 4 month. The price are very good. The quality of our products is outstanding.(I know some people like the matchy thing, well, check out our new line of Patterned Papers. We have matching inks, hardware, ribbon, and BAZZILL paper.) Once I buy a stamp set I can do ANYTHING I want with it!! (I am not just free to use the rubber- but I can use the image for profit!) Cash and carry at my classes, customers do not have to wait for product- they can go straight home and play. Super speedy delivery- I have ordered on Friday and got new rubber on Monday! HO is awsome!!! New improvements on the Angels Only part of the TAC website. (Also an angels only Blog.) Lots of contests, you can win $75 toward stamps- you use the 30% order form. (Someone just figured this one up for winning two contests- $214 in stamps!!WOW) Once an Angel, always an Angel- just place a $50 order to re-activate. And lastly, you can join the PaperWings web site- an outstanding rescoure for Angels.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 09:47 AM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisadwbView Post
I chose TAC for several reasons. First, I love the $100, every 4 month. The price are very good. The quality of our products is outstanding.(I know some people like the matchy thing, well, check out our new line of Patterned Papers. We have matching inks, hardware, ribbon, and BAZZILL paper.) Once I buy a stamp set I can do ANYTHING I want with it!! (I am not just free to use the rubber- but I can use the image for profit!) Cash and carry at my classes, customers do not have to wait for product- they can go straight home and play. Super speedy delivery- I have ordered on Friday and got new rubber on Monday! HO is awsome!!! New improvements on the Angels Only part of the TAC website. (Also an angels only Blog.) Lots of contests, you can win $75 toward stamps- you use the 30% order form. (Someone just figured this one up for winning two contests- $214 in stamps!!WOW) Once an Angel, always an Angel- just place a $50 order to re-activate. And lastly, you can join the PaperWings web site- an outstanding rescoure for Angels.
Wow, Lisa. You just sold me on TAC. Oh yeah, I'm already an Angel! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 10:14 AM   #28  
Crimping Master

Oh, Heather! you made me even MORE excited to find out about the new plan!!!! Can hardly wait!!!! ;-)
My TAC Site My BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 03:12 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

You are so right Diane - now I'm excited too about the new compensation plan. Thanks for getting us excited Heather.

rita
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 03:24 PM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Here's some newer info on CTMH, as they just changed a couple of things.

Our commission at time of sale is 22%. We start earning overrides on sales at the $100 mark. You'd earn another 1.5% at $100, another 3% at $300 in a month, all the way up to 12%.

Quarterly quota is $300, but, if you can't make that quota, you will drop to a Jr. and only need to do $100 in a calendar year to stay with the company. Your commission will only be 10% tho. To become active, you'd only need to do $300 in a quarter with any products we carry, and you automatically return to active status almost immediately.

Consultants can now be a hostess..YEA! And, our new hostess rewards plus has added 1/2 price items starting at a $350 party. One can earn up to 4 1/2 items, the larger their party is.

If you're looking to build a business and want to recruit to earn extra money, one recruit makes you a supervisor and you will earn 2% of her sales, provided you sell $600 a month. As you progress up the management levels, you will earn more for your 1st downline commission, and should your downline recruit, you will earn on the second, third, 4th and 5th downline, depending upon your title.

If I can answer any questions, feel free to pm me.

Suz
CTMH Director
http://www.suzastampin.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 04:21 PM   #31  
Embossing Fanatic

Default tac/vs ctmh/su

WOW!
You guys have been awesome in all your input and advice it is really cool to find out what all 3 leading companies offer I am currently with TAC which I meant to mention in my post (oops) and I am not making any decisions at present but I love love CTMH and SU images and the matchey-matchey thing is is so awesome for the color challenged!`
We will see what the next few months bring with the compensation plan and if we will ever get a line of matching CS and inks but right now I really struggle with TAC despite all the benefits... we are still missing what I (and most of my customers ) love most in stamping elegant images ; colors that just work together, and having to go elsewhere to get those things seems silly! But I love the Angels...they are what make the company what it is. Thanks again
Betti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 06:26 PM   #32  
Forum Fanatic

This is just my completely wacko impression, but it is my understanding that TAC is pretty restrictive on how their products can be used in magazine and online publication submissions, and I think this is a drawback. I never get to see TAC stamps used in published projects because I understand they don't allow their images to be used in pubs unless everything else used to make that project is also from TAC.

For example, in the latest Stamp It! mag, I picked out several projects with images from SU, CHF, etc etc and I find this helpful. I like when I get to see a lot of examples made in a lot of different styles, from simply elegant to ornately elaborate, and by a lot of different people. You know how when the latest catty or mini from SU comes out, you look at it and go, "Ho hum" and then after a month of seeing beautiful examples in the SCS gallery, you go, "Whoah!! I *gotta* have that set! I can't believe I ever thought that set was so blah!" I don't get that opportunity with TAC stamp sets, even though I check out TAC-centric galleries and message boards. I really like the SU Wild About You set, and my first thought when I saw the TAC catalogue was to check out their version of this set, and it just didn't do it for me. I don't care for the style of this similar offering from TAC, but maybe if I saw as many samples from the TAC version as I have from the SU version, I would love it too -- knowatimsayin?

Sorry for the long-winded, rambling post (long day at work) but for someone like me who likes to look at lots of examples of other stampers' creations using products I have, this is an important factor. Maybe not *the* most important, but it's up there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 06:41 PM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahloumelView Post
This is just my completely wacko impression, but it is my understanding that TAC is pretty restrictive on how their products can be used in magazine and online publication submissions, and I think this is a drawback. I never get to see TAC stamps used in published projects because I understand they don't allow their images to be used in pubs unless everything else used to make that project is also from TAC.

For example, in the latest Stamp It! mag, I picked out several projects with images from SU, CHF, etc etc and I find this helpful. I like when I get to see a lot of examples made in a lot of different styles, from simply elegant to ornately elaborate, and by a lot of different people. You know how when the latest catty or mini from SU comes out, you look at it and go, "Ho hum" and then after a month of seeing beautiful examples in the SCS gallery, you go, "Whoah!! I *gotta* have that set! I can't believe I ever thought that set was so blah!" I don't get that opportunity with TAC stamp sets, even though I check out TAC-centric galleries and message boards. I really like the SU Wild About You set, and my first thought when I saw the TAC catalogue was to check out their version of this set, and it just didn't do it for me. I don't care for the style of this similar offering from TAC, but maybe if I saw as many samples from the TAC version as I have from the SU version, I would love it too -- knowatimsayin?

Sorry for the long-winded, rambling post (long day at work) but for someone like me who likes to look at lots of examples of other stampers' creations using products I have, this is an important factor. Maybe not *the* most important, but it's up there.

The information I highlighted is not accurate. TAC is not restrictive like the statement reads in the statement. I know that for a fact because I have been published using TAC stamps but not everything has been TAC products. Check out these magazines - you will generally find multiple TAC publications.

Just Cards
Simply Sentiments
Take 10 (at least 4 or 5 of our demonstrators are featured in the latest Take 10)

And I'm sure other TAC demos will be able to point out other magazines that we've been published in.

Happy Stamping and Scrapping,

rita
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 07:35 PM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

One thing I like about SU is that we don't keep an inventory/stock... no cash and carry. A customer places an order and then the demo orders the items from SU and then they are delivered. I don't know how the other companies are in this respect but it's something for you to think about.
My mom was a mary kay lady for 10 years and got stuck with so much stuff when she quit. It was a real headache for her, not only then, but during the 10 years trying to have supplies on hand just in case someone ordered that item.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 09:37 PM   #35  
Crimping Master

With TAC you are allowed to if you want to, but not required to. I often keep adhesive, white CS, white florals, Crystal Stickles or something I know I'll use even if a customer doesn't. Invariably, though, I'll get a phone call from a customer who wants to come over and pick one of those things up NOW if I have it. I'm glad when I do have it on hand and so are they! ;-) If not, I order it and TAC is super fast (and I'm only an hour away so 1 shipping day).

Again--each demo does it differently since it's not a requirement to keep inventory but we are at least allowed to. It's nice to have the option. It also has let me be a vendor at crops so scrappers can actually buy things from me as they need it. I use a tally sheet and let them buy paper by the sheet or the pack, etc.

HTH! ;-)
My TAC Site My BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 07:19 AM   #36  
Compulsive Stamper

I love TAC because I want to make stuff for resale. TAC doesn't have any restriction EXCEPT you can not mass produce the image on a copier printer or any other electronic method. Everything has to be made by hand.

Also, everyone loves the prices of the stamps!! They can't get over that the highest priced stamp is $19.95!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 09:46 AM   #37  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicely DoneView Post
Also, everyone loves the prices of the stamps!! They can't get over that the highest priced stamp is $19.95!!

Except, of course, the alphabet sets.... ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 10:03 AM   #38  
Gallery Gazer

I just wanted to post a link to the SU demo thread. It's a bit lengthy, but provides a ton of details about being an SU demonstrator. Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Which brings me to one of the best things about being an SU demonstrator -- acces to the demonstrator side of SCS! Having a nationwide network of demonstrators sharing ideas here on SCS is a fantastic resource that really is priceless.

And while I would never discourage anyone from trying to build a crafting business alongside their stamping and scrapping supply business, the two are really not one and the same.

For crafters whose goal is to sell their own handmade products out of permanent retail locations, and who become a demo to get a discount on their supplies, Stampin' Up! may not be the way to go. But for people who are interested in running a stamping and scrapping supply business, SU is the market leader with a lot of brand name recognition.

I also find that in running my demo business I only have time to make business related samples, not mass produce products for sale. On occasion I will sell these samples at a craft fair, but my primary purpose for being at a craft or vendor fair will be to get customer contacts, not to make money on hand-made products. For the growth of my demo business it is far more worthwhile to display samples of my work, which encourage people to purchase the supplies they need to create their own masterpieces than to sell my hand-made items, which may potentially discourage people from buying their own supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 10:08 AM   #39  
Crimping Master

HIJACK!!!!

Hi Diane, went to your SU site to your gallery...nice stuff!!

(you may all go back to your scheduled discussion already in progress)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 11:14 AM   #40  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

... we are still missing what I (and most of my customers ) love most in stamping elegant images

If you get an ink chart and paper ring samples I think you'll find those to be very helpful with matching...I have found them to be a tremendous help. You'll find them for sale quite reasonably priced on the demo's webeangels group that Heather is the moderator for. ;)

I do agree with your one point here though and I can only recommend that you contact TAC! I would love to see more realistic images again. Twigs, botanicals and the retired sport sets are all some of my favorites...I think the trend is whimsical all around these days but it wouldn't hurt to ask! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes