Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-12-2007, 12:25 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Location: Physically: Florida, Mentally: in a Penthouse overlooking Central Park!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing this for $ ??

How many of you make cards/stamped items to sell?
How do you sell your items and what do you charge (average)?
I would love to do this in our small town, but don't really knoiw how to get started..do you need an occupational license for something like this?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2007, 05:56 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I tried selling last year before I moved, and I do a little bit now. I sell by word of mouth. I am not a demo, and I only purchse stamps that have an Angel Policy...for example all my SU cards are stamped w/the copyright. All my cards start at $2 a card and that's for a basic card, w/a few layers. Start adding embellies and more detailed techniques and the price starts to go up. Technically any money you make should be reported to the IRS, and if you are promoting yourself as a business, business cards, etc then you should register yourself as a business. I think there is a difference between a hobbyist and a "real business" but I can't remembe off hand what they are. I'm sure another member will be able to clarify.

My humble beginnings of a gallery
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=72605
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2007, 07:37 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Can I just give you a word of warning?

I have a friend and I who have done quite a few craft fairs and on one hand we have made a fair amount of spending money but on the other hand it really has taken all the fun out of it for me. When you make a cute and clever card and then have to make 80 more of then. . . not so fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2007, 03:00 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajcmeyerView Post
Can I just give you a word of warning?

I have a friend and I who have done quite a few craft fairs and on one hand we have made a fair amount of spending money but on the other hand it really has taken all the fun out of it for me. When you make a cute and clever card and then have to make 80 more of then. . . not so fun!
I second that! I don't solicit business, but I do make things if people ask me to. A friend asked for 25 birthday invitations. I charged her $1 per card, and my cost was 25 cents per card, but I was surely sick of this particular card after 25 of them. It was a very simple card, btw.

The more we thank, the more we discover we have to be thankful for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2007, 03:29 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Thanks for the tips ladies. My daughter and I are planning on selling some cards this Fall at a craft fair. Mainly it is just going to be for fun and we are going to start making the cards now. I don't know what we will charge yet but this all helps.

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2007, 05:36 AM   #6  
Chat Box Chicks Princess

I sell to co-workers, friends, and family, no one else. I hate making more than a few of the same design. I don't really like to take orders, but I will. I agree that making more than a few (like enough for a swap) really does take the fun out of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2007, 05:58 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

I made a card for a friend. She ordered a stack from me. She showed them to her friend, who also ordered a stack. People from work ordered after receiving cards from me. I think the best way is by giving people spectacular cards; ones they can't get elsewhere unless they spend a bundle per card. I now have a hand-made catalogue with all the cards I have made....this way people can order whichever cards they want. I charge $2.50 per card...I'm not in it to make a fortune; just to pay for my habit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2007, 06:11 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been selling cards and other items at holiday boutiques for the last 3 years. I sell my cards for $2.50 each or $2.00 each when buying 5 or more. I make cards throughout the year. I make 4 of each card, 3 to sell and 1 to keep. This way I have a lot of stock by the end of the year but am not sick of the card. I do not take any special orders as I want stamping to be fun and not a job. I usually have about 300 cards on my table and sell around half. Also, all my cards are blank inside. They are packaged with an envelope in a plastic sleeve.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2007, 06:42 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I do scrapbooks for money and have sold a few cards here and there - mostly to my customers that I've done scrapbooks for.
http://oolalasparkle.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2007, 06:46 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

The LSS here sells cards made by someone they know for $4.50 a piece.

And TBH they aren't that fantastic. It was a little upsetting when I saw them. Some have SU! stamps on them as well but I don't know if there is a copyright on the back or not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2007, 07:06 AM   #11  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftygirl04View Post
I charge $2.50 per card...I'm not in it to make a fortune; just to pay for my habit.
BAHAHAHA!!! That's why I work at the LSS...to support the habit!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2007, 08:13 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by carla36301View Post
I second that! I don't solicit business, but I do make things if people ask me to. A friend asked for 25 birthday invitations. I charged her $1 per card, and my cost was 25 cents per card, but I was surely sick of this particular card after 25 of them. It was a very simple card, btw.
Can I just tell you too that I got to the point that every time I made a new card that I thought was fantastic I didn't want to show it to this friend. Because she would say thats awesome now you need to make 80 more to sell. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2008, 11:28 PM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

I would like to know a little more about this to, whether or not I would have to get a license to sell at craft fairs or different things, the whole license thing confuses me a bit. Thanks for the advice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 12:20 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

You don't have to have a license to sell, just make sure you have any Angel Policy covered. I've sold at craft fairs before and I make sure to keep it fun. Now, I mainly list my items on Etsy, I don't feel the pressure of making more then I want and when I do make something I just list it.
Enjoy!
My Etsy: katiesniche
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 01:29 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You might be interested in this blog, Artrepeneur (hope I spelled it correctly.)http://judydunn.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 03:52 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Thumbs up

I started out doing craft fairs; then a few friends said they'd pay me to make a few cards or invites for them, then a couple of friends opened up shops and asked if I'd like to put my cards there. So, as of today, I have my cards in 3 places in my area and I sell them all for $3.00. No hassles. Anyway, people in a small town won't pay more than that. They think $7.50 at Hallmark is better. Go figure. I did get myself a business ID number and call myself Glitterbabe Greetings. I was told that if there is no profit after 3 years, it is considered just a hobby. Not to mention that I have a great accountant!!!!

P.S. My manicurist also has my cards at her place. I have them in a 3 ring binder in photo sleeves. You may ask your local beauty shop if you can leave a book (cards) there. Again, good luck.

Hope this helps. The best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 06:54 AM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

I take my basket of cards to work, and sell them for $2 each.
Usually each time I sell between 20-30 of them.
Then I have to take my basket home and make some more!

Sometimes I get special requests. My Fathers Day shirt cards will be $3 each, and I've got 2 spoken for already.

I make my cards for fun, but figure if others like them, I may as well sell them to help support my habit!!;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 07:48 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by carla36301View Post
I'm going to be pedantic here and say that 25 cents must have been supplies only if enough time was spent on them to be sick of them! Remember ladies if you are selling you should charge for your time too. Time is money!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 08:03 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

I have several "hobbies" that I sell at craft fairs. First of all, everyone can lose money at it (for the IRS) if you really try legally. Every stamp, piece of paper, drop of ink, Office supplies, etc that you use is deductible. Computer if you use it for crafting, etc. So whether or not you plan on making a profit, save all of your reciepts that are craft related. At the very least, it may cancel out what you are making as income. Especially if you are starting out and buying tons of stamps etc. Trips to JA, Michaels, etc. all deductible. I save everything and let my accountant throw out what is not usable.

I like to keep my stuff in a consignment shop or craft mall. That way they sell what I make and stock. That way I make what I enjoy making and am not pressed to mass produce any one style of item. This also allows you to see what sells best in a general forum so you can better judge what to take to your craft fairs. My experience with craft fairs is that items under 5.oo sell like crazy. The higher the prices the less likely to find buyers. However, I always have a few higher priced items just in case. For you, that may be scrapbooks or picture frames stamped with sentiments etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 08:32 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

x

Last edited by MamaSchwich; 05-30-2008 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: oops
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 08:33 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Last night I received my first offer to make cards for a wedding planner. She got all excited, and said, "Ooooh, I could take orders for you and you could make them!" I politely replied that I could "hook them up with supplies to make their own" and that's about all. I've been down that road with wedding cakes, and I still think this is fun, so there is NO way I am going to ruin it by making it work!
I think it's a great idea for those of you who do it, I just don't think I will be going there soon...
I was flattered that she liked her card that much, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 08:34 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

I sell by word of mouth and charge $4 per card with envelope. I did up 20 qraduation cards and made 100.00 but that also included the inside too. If someone wants a bunch of one design I'll work up a sample and go from there to figure out the price. Not less then $3.00 each for sure.

Jannette
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 08:37 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

I make a lot of $$ selling cards...I use the proceeds mostly to pay for postage for my soldier project. In Nov & Dec last year made over $2000 per month. I am ALWAYS making cards and ALWAYS make duplicates. I send to the soldiers, supply the church bookstore (these are both donated no $$) but also hubby always has a basket on his desk at work and he sells a lot of them...not by going around with the basket but buy word of mouth everyone comes looking for the basket. It is great. Then I also supply some to a couple High Schools in the area for the teachers and that is where I make the most. Plus last year I supplied a local swim team for a fund raiser and this year another team approached me. I will make a lot of $$ off of these cards. I normally have 300-500 cards on hand for waiting for these events. I get lots of requests to do weddings and just a few days ago a request to do invitations for a baby shower. I usually always turn down these requests. I have enough on my plate. My cards normally go for $3.00 each or $4.00 for $10.00 but I sell a lot and I am happy with that. I started doing the swim teams to help out my sons team because they get so little in the way of funds from the school. Nobody could believe the money they raked in on handmade cards. Word sure gets around. I am busily preparing for the fall time when two teams will need at least 1000 cards to sell. Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 09:01 AM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

i just made 60 cards and 5 card sets featuring a saluki for a friend who is a breeder. she's going to this big saluki roundup in KY next week and is going to try selling them for me. theres only so many saluki stamps out there and i have 1. im so sick of that stamp i want to throw up.

so yea, you do tend to get sick of it if you have to make a lot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 09:28 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaSchwichView Post
Last night I received my first offer to make cards for a wedding planner. She got all excited, and said, "Ooooh, I could take orders for you and you could make them!" I politely replied that I could "hook them up with supplies to make their own" and that's about all. I've been down that road with wedding cakes, and I still think this is fun, so there is NO way I am going to ruin it by making it work!
I think it's a great idea for those of you who do it, I just don't think I will be going there soon...
I was flattered that she liked her card that much, though.
You could be on to something there - just have a session where you teach them how to do them;) and give them printable instructions etc... $25/hour;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 10:13 AM   #26  
Inking Addict

I have sold to my friends for $2.50-$3.00 each, depending what is on them. I am currently making 100 graduation cards for a friend of mine and I charged her $125.00. (brief card description-Pocket card, insert has handmade tassle on top, lots of inking around edges) My husband is kind of pissed off at me because they are taking up so much of my time for little $. The tassles are the hardest and most time consuming part, they are a real B***H:twisted: . I have never done mass amounts of cards for someone before so I did'nt know what to charge her. Plus, I know she really does'nt have extra money to pay me any more than that. I am so sick of these cards I could scream! I am about 1/2 way done and they need to be done by June 13. I have to basically force myself to work on them because I hate them so much. I can't wait till this is over with. I miss spending time with my family:( . Pretty sure I will never do this many again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 10:23 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

I also found the fun was removed when I did it for money, but I also have a very well paying day job, so it was unnecessary. But it was a great way to earn some extra spending money for me. I have made invites and special order cards but I always charge a minimum of $3.00 a piece. If they balk, send them to site online then. As someone else stated, never forget the time you put into something, not just the materials. You are worth at least $10 an hour.

I know the feeling of getting burned out after the first 25 and thinking you have 75 more to go, blech!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 10:39 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

I use to paint on clothing and sell at Craft shows. You had to have a business number to even apply. Also some shows had folks from the IRS floating around and checking. Someone mentioned using your computer for a write off, just be careful you can only do that if the computer is ONLY used for the business.

I was teaching full time and hubby opening up a new business and doing this on the side. It was not worth my time. Yes, I made money but I got burned out. It did take the fun out of it to have to make so many and on demand. I prefer to keep my art as a hobby now.

I do have a friend who makes a living selling his pottery at shows. He only does 3 shows a year and won't do a show unless he sells at least 10,000 worth. He spends all of his time making and firing his pottery to be able to sell that much. He isn't rich and has no benefits but loves what he does.

I guess it all depends.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 10:55 AM   #29  
Glitter Queen

the whiskey card in my gallery was a request for my cousin and she insisted on paying me �3 for it! ($6)

i dont really think it was worth that much but she said she would probably pay �4 or �5 pounds at the shop :eek:

i mostly sell to neighbours, friends and family but i am looking for a larger outlet ie work place or shop.

i have 20 cards in my local craft shop but as they mostly sell stuff to make cards they have been there for 3 weeks with no sales yet :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 10:56 AM   #30  
Compulsive Stamper

So if I was to sell my cards online, as long as they have an angel policy stamp on them I don't have to have a license?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

you probably need a tax number for reporting sales tax.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2008, 03:59 PM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

I would suggest having a business license if you are planning to sell at craft shows or online. The fees and penalties that you would incur if you were "caught" selling without the proper paperwork outweigh just paying for a license in the first place. Just remember to check with your state and local vendors' associations and apply only for what you are required to have.
Reply With Quote Likes