Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-04-2007, 12:40 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Show me your favorite....

Copic marker card. DH just told me to order the whole set if I want them for our anniversary but I just don't think I need them. I WANT to need them LOL

I have the prisma pencils and I do like them but my colors look layered and not blended, does that make sense? I was trying to add lipstick to an image and wanted the center of the bottom lip to be lighter than the rest. Well, it ended up looking like when you have one color nail polish and just paint over it with another. :rolleyes: :-D Not horrid, just not natural LOL

I have my SU markers and I am very happy with them and the fact that they match all my other stuff. I don't have a problem with them streaking unless I use a heavy hand and color the same area over and over.

I don't like that I don't have good skin tone colors. Even when I use my prisma pencils, if I'm trying to get a realistic skin tone it just looks layered.

So, for those of you that have the copics, can I blend the same color out using a colorless blender of some kind or do I need to add the darker and lighter shades of the same color? How many skin tones are there? I'd like a variety. I was over at AllThatScraps.com and they have a shabby chic set I was thinking of getting since I do a lot in those colors. But the lettered sets already have those colors in them so if I got those later I'd have duplicates and if I'm going to need the lighter and darker shades of a color I don't think that set would be enough.

How tiny of any area can you get into with the copics? I have some of the scenery stamps from Impression Obsession and they're pretty detailed.

Should I just stick with my prisma pencils? I have the large set (120 I think). Are there others that will give me more natural skin tones or am I just not doing something correctly?

TIA!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 12:52 PM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

I just did this one with my Copics:

http://prairiepaperandink.typepad.co...7/oh-yeah.html (you can click on the pic to get a pop-up with a bigger image).

I used a darker color of blue Copic maker here and there on the shorts then went over it and colored them in with a lighter color.

I'm still learning how to use mine but I LOVE them (I have full set of CIAO's - 144!) and there are a LOT of options for skin tones!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 01:11 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

anything and everything in this gallery!!!!!

Colorin' Kate's Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 02:05 PM   #4  
Watercolor Wizard

Jeanne's blog has a lot of cards with copics, including a color chart for which to get for SU matches.

Blogs at Splitcoaststampers

I know that there are people who do not love their fellow man, and I hate people like that.
~Tom Lehrer

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 03:48 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmyRView Post
I just did this one with my Copics:

http://prairiepaperandink.typepad.co...7/oh-yeah.html (you can click on the pic to get a pop-up with a bigger image).

I used a darker color of blue Copic maker here and there on the shorts then went over it and colored them in with a lighter color.

I'm still learning how to use mine but I LOVE them (I have full set of CIAO's - 144!) and there are a LOT of options for skin tones!
So you do need to have the darker and lighter versions of a color, it's not possible to just blend out with a colorless blender of some type?

I'm looking to be able to do a gradual change of color, like if used a light purple prisma pencil on a flower petal and then went over the edge with a darker purple and then used a stump and osm to blend to two of them together. Where the colors meet you end up with a color that's somewhere in the middle? Can you do that with copics?

Can you put a lighter color on top of a darker color?

The copics seem like a brighter version of the prisma pencils but I don't see a lot of shading. Seems like a nicer, more expensive regular marker. I may not be looking in the right places, I'll have to look at the links on this post.

I know they're new so if I'm asking things nobody knows yet I'm sorry :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 03:49 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

oh, Amy, how big is the tip? Is it easy to get in on detailed stamps?

thx :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 04:19 PM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

I don't have prismacolors yet... would one need those to get a lot out of the copic markers?!
~Kendra
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 04:24 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by myhappyplaceView Post
So you do need to have the darker and lighter versions of a color, it's not possible to just blend out with a colorless blender of some type?

I'm looking to be able to do a gradual change of color, like if used a light purple prisma pencil on a flower petal and then went over the edge with a darker purple and then used a stump and osm to blend to two of them together. Where the colors meet you end up with a color that's somewhere in the middle? Can you do that with copics?

Can you put a lighter color on top of a darker color?

The copics seem like a brighter version of the prisma pencils but I don't see a lot of shading. Seems like a nicer, more expensive regular marker. I may not be looking in the right places, I'll have to look at the links on this post.

I know they're new so if I'm asking things nobody knows yet I'm sorry :-D
You were talking about not seeing alot of shading...Kathy teaches and demos for Copic....her stuff is awesome...check it out....

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 04:33 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

I got all the colors which I got from here great price http://www.mftstamps.com/ and I would love to know how Kate colors like that because i haven't been able to get anything close - I love prisma pencils with gamsol and i just cant get the markers to do that
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 04:36 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by parrotheadView Post
You were talking about not seeing alot of shading...Kathy teaches and demos for Copic....her stuff is awesome...check it out....

oh lordy I just got back from looking at that from the link above. LOVE it. So out of my leauge ;) I see she uses pencil on a lot of her stuff *but* I noticed a card made with just copic AND an Impression Obsession stamp a lot like the ones I have. *sigh* I need to find out if they have anyone near me that teaches.

I'm going to go check out amy's link and jeanne's blog.

Um, nice signature line there brandy LMBO;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 04:42 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by apigonfireView Post
I don't have prismacolors yet... would one need those to get a lot out of the copic markers?!
~Kendra
I hope not considering the price! I just already have the prismacolor pencils so I didn't know if I *needed* the copics or the primsacolor markers also or if I would just acheive a look that is similar to the pencils.

Kate's gallery looks more like it's been watercolored it's blended so well but on some of them it said she used pencils also and if she teaches classes I'm guessing those results are not typical :-D ;) She obviously has a gift I'll never have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 04:44 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Can I just say that you are spoiled and I am jealous?! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 04:55 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by handstampedhappinessView Post
Can I just say that you are spoiled and I am jealous?! ;)

I am spoiled, you're right. I'm decent enought to admit it LOL But in all fairness, I am also an amazing wife and mom who has been know to make cards and gifts for coworkers on demand, even when I'm told about the event at 10 pm the night before. I was also feeling a little more um, affectionate this week with the new SU catty coming out :oops: so, to be perfectly honest, I didn't play fair LOL

But thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 05:06 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I am spoiled, you're right. I'm decent enought to admit it LOL But in all fairness, I am also an amazing wife and mom who has been know to make cards and gifts for coworkers on demand, even when I'm told about the event at 10 pm the night before. I was also feeling a little more um, affectionate this week with the new SU catty coming out :oops: so, to be perfectly honest, I didn't play fair LOL

But thank you!
Ahhhh.... Playing dirty!!!! Shame on you -- NOT!

�Any time we can�t solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again.� ~Tony Blair
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 05:06 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Kathy will be at the CHA show in Chicago in July..if any of ya'll are close to there and will be doing some demos for Copic.....if I'm not mistaken she does the coloring for WhipperSnapper....maybe someone will correct me if I'm wrong? But...I think I'm right.....also she told me that Copic was gonna be coming out with a tutorial and possibly a DVD for cardmakers!!! Thats exciting!!! They are filming her at CHA.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 05:21 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by parrotheadView Post
Kathy will be at the CHA show in Chicago in July..if any of ya'll are close to there and will be doing some demos for Copic.....if I'm not mistaken she does the coloring for WhipperSnapper....maybe someone will correct me if I'm wrong? But...I think I'm right.....also she told me that Copic was gonna be coming out with a tutorial and possibly a DVD for cardmakers!!! Thats exciting!!! They are filming her at CHA.
I know the store she works at is teaching classes on these techniques in July 12th. I'm going to try and register if there is still room. The store is in Brookfield, WI (about 20 min. West of Milwaukee, an hour north of Chicago). I don't think I can put info on here, but if you send me an email, I can send you the class info that I have.

I just bought a couple of copic markers from their store. I don't think that you would need both prisma pencils and the markers? But I'm just learning. I love the bright look the copic markers gives. I hope I can get into the class ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2007, 06:04 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by corinnesmithView Post
I know the store she works at is teaching classes on these techniques in July 12th. I'm going to try and register if there is still room. The store is in Brookfield, WI (about 20 min. West of Milwaukee, an hour north of Chicago). I don't think I can put info on here, but if you send me an email, I can send you the class info that I have.

I just bought a couple of copic markers from their store. I don't think that you would need both prisma pencils and the markers? But I'm just learning. I love the bright look the copic markers gives. I hope I can get into the class ;)

I'm so jealous!!! I'm in Atlanta...I would LOVE to go see her demo!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2007, 06:20 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Wink

Quote:

I was also feeling a little more um, affectionate this week with the new SU catty coming out :oops: so, to be perfectly honest, I didn't play fair LOL
Honestly, wouldn't most husbands be fine with us not playing fair. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes