Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-14-2007, 09:59 AM   #41  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vee
I can see borrowing from other stamp addicts but not from a demo. There are many threads and posts on the demo side about how uncomfortable most demos are with being asked to borrow. Some do it and some "rent" sets, but to ask to borrow someones business tools reather than buying them from her, ......well, you can see how this could put her in an uncomfortable situation. No demo wants to seem rude, selfish, or make a customer unhappy, but we ARE trying to SELL the sets. YKWIM?
I'm not a demo'r any more, but, I have to agree: as a customer, I would never ask this of a demonstrator, nor fault them for having a "no lending" policy, which I eventually had to implement, due to too many experiences where I got shafted with sets returned damaged, sets returned with images missing and no offer to replace, or having to plead repeatedly to get the set back when I needed it for business purposes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2007, 10:11 AM   #42  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by laurakj
For the big purchase items I use the $1 rule... if the item costs $20 then I have to know I'll be able to use it on at least 20 different projects, $50 - 50 projects etc... and I don't mean 50 Christmas cards, that's just 1 project KWIM? I do this with stamps and stamp sets too.

I use that for the smaller ticket items too, if I see some really cool silk flowers and there are 3 in a pack but the pack costs $5, I put it back. I can't use it on 5 projects if there are only 3 items in the pack. It really helps see things in a different light.
That's absolutely brilliant!!! I think I do this subconsciously.

SCHEDULE...I limit myself to two or three big SU purchases a year, usually during a special, and then I make sure I have enough for a free hostess set and free dollar amts. But... I DO set the $ amount limit and do not go over it, using reinkers and stuff to round up.

HOSTESS...I hold one big stamp camp at SAB so I get lots of free goodies! I invite everyone and their brother (sister) and charge very little so I can get more folks to come. Then I use some of my own money toward the purchase of the supplies to keep that price low. I try to have 30 to 36 people. The volume of people pays for the suppies and they ususally do over $600 in sales so I get most of my purchases for free.

BE PICKY...I also POUR over my list and try to only get the things that are useful in more than one context (like the Wild About You set that is so versitile or RIW that's timeless) or tools, like the punches. I also try to buy stamps rather than one time use items like the on board accents. Besides, I have plenty of cereal boxes I can cut.

SUPPLIMENT...I got a ream of "confetti white" at Office Depot that is very much like SUs that I use to make the card insides from...BIG savings!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 09:38 AM   #43  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When my SU catalog comes, I go through and make a big list IN PENCIL, sorting things in categories, i.e., stamp sets, wheels, CS, inks, tools, etc. This is inserted in my catalog and I let it set for a while before ordering. Every once in a while I review it and am amazed at what I can erase from the list. I find the initial buzz about new products dims as time passes.

When shopping at my LSS for a specific item, I tend to add more stuff to my basket. Before I check out, I find a quiet corner and really review what I added to my basket. More times than not, I put the extra stuff back and just buy what I came in for. Just having and taking the time to really review my choices makes a difference in my spending.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 10:19 AM   #44  
Stampin' Fool

Default Trying to limit spending

I am making about 75 Christmas cards this year and I bought a nifty penguin stamp set, but I designed it with the paper and supplies I had on hand. I need to use up some of my stuff. It really is amazing what you can do with what you have! I'm trying..... :rolleyes:

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2007, 12:04 PM   #45  
Glitter Guru

Smile

I have a "use-it-up" box in which I put the things I just had to have but never got round to actually using. I change these things round now and again so I'm using up different things. It also reminds of not wasting money on things I won't use. Also living in the UK I buy most of my stamps from the USA as the exchange rate is so good for us at the minute so they work out about half price even with the postage included.

My BF also regularly asks "have you got everything you need?" to which I always reply "No I'm sure there's something else I need." He will then answer "What else do you need for these cards? (whichever I'm currently making). I then go through the list of what I need and soon realise that actually I have everything and more so I don't need to go and buy anything else. That way I can cut down on impulse buying.

And staying away from all the stores is a good idea until I decide I need something!! I try to buy my adhesive from the stationery shop rather than a craft store so I don't buy other things I "need".

Vannessa xx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2007, 06:58 PM   #46  
Crimping Master

Hi my name is Lori and I am a stamp and craft shopping adict.
The ideas I try to use to keep from spending money are kinda varied.
I stay away from the stores. I've been staying at my boyfriend's house and don't get the Michael's coupon there. When I have it I somehow think I better use it and that's how they sucker me. If I stay away I don't spend the money. I also try to shop from my own stash because Lord knows I could almost stock a store from one room in my house. The deal I have on stamp sets with myself is that if I want one I have to be prepared to give one up. I borrow from friends to try the set out and sometimes I'll get one out of my system that way - actually I always do. But I really like the dollar value vs number of uses idea. I'm gonna try that one. I also make a list of stuff I like or want and as time goes on especially with SU and CTMH the list dwindles down. There are only 4 sets I want out of the current SU catalogue compared to when I first saw it and at that time I betcha I had over 20 on the list. Even the 4 on my current list... I could see buying 2 of them if they were retired, maybe, maybe, maybe 3 if Frosty went the way of the dodo. But that's it. I try to pick things I know I'll use for scraping and card making and not pick things that aren't dual purposed because there's no use in that. The only trouble with that is that I LOVE alphabet stamps and they are very very easy to justify sooooo... I try not to look at them if possible. I walked out of the LSS today without buying any of the 4 Christmas sets I liked and yesterday at the other LSS I left behind a buy 2 get 1 free Ikadinkadoo sale on Christmas sets because I need another Christmas stamp like I need a knock on the head with a bag of hammers and the gal that owns that store doesn't try to "sell" me. There is a gal at the first store that tries to "sell" me. ONe day I told her that I knew exactly what she was doing and that I appreciated that this was her job and that she knew I was an easy mark but that I was not going to buy what she was suggesting and gave myself a mental pat on the back for staying strong. That said even with all these little devices in mind I still spend tooo much money. Like I really want a Cuttlebug but I' not sure if I'd use it and I want it for the alpahbets because I LOVE alphabets. But I have resisted because I want to find someone who has one before I buy one. I thought I wanted a Bigshot but I tried it and hated the way it worked and found that it wasted ALOT of paper. So I guess for gadgets I try to have a try before I buy policy.
Thanks ladies for all the great ideas and be strong! We don't have to buy if we don't need it.
You can do it girls.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2007, 07:20 PM   #47  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow I never thought of that before. I have the best demo ever. She loans her stuff all the time. I think that it helps her business tho. Cuz you get it, use it, and cant live without it when she needs hers back and then buy it.

Marcie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2007, 08:49 PM   #48  
Rubber Obsessor

I gotta get a new job. Working full-time at Mikes is SERIOUSLY bad for my bank account.

The suggestion to get a new car is a good one, though. I just got a new car a week ago, and it is already making me think again and again about whether or not I really NEED to buy the thing that just caught my eye. I'm pretty bad for impulse shopping, and it's hard to not "shop" as I'm doing my job. :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2007, 06:22 AM   #49  
Glitter Guru

There have been some great ideas on here. I enjoyed reading them all and thanks to all of you because I have been a spendaholic this year and I really need to slow it down. I buy sets because I love them and then they just sit there collecting dust or I might make one card with them. That is not a goodie for me..

I really want the nestabilities but I think I will wait and get my dh to get them for Christmas.

Tks for all your help
Sneek A Peak at my blog ===> Karen's Kreations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2007, 01:44 PM   #50  
Polyshrink Goddess

A couple of other thoughts:

My friend and I buy different packs of SU designer paper and split them. A lot of times I only want one sheet of each pattern anyway. Then if I absolutely LOOOOOOOVE the paper and have to have more, I can order my own pack.

I make my own stampin spots with reinkers and use them instead of the large pads. I buy the uninked spots from http://www.mardigourds.com/index.php...roducts_id=205.

I have almost given up on buying stamping magazines as I get most of my ideas here on SCS.

Good ideas here. Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 09:32 AM   #51  
Polyshrink Goddess

Lots of good ideas here, but it has been dormant for a while. Let's get those thinking caps going again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 10:20 AM   #52  
Mad Swapper

I am a stampaholic, but my DH put me on a budget (I am a SAHM), I do occassionally go over by a few dollars, but I am trying to be good and my SU demo knows that I have a limit each month and is really helpful with keeping me in line. I live in a small town so I can't just run out to Micheal's when I think I need something, and if it is something that I really want by the time I go to the city I have forgotten about it or realize that I didn't need it. I like the advice that I get here at SCS because I have decided against things because others have found the faults with it, on the flip side of that, there are a few things that I have bought because everyone raves about it, but they are things I use all the time. As for borrowing stamp sets from my demo, she would let me come to her place and use her stamps, this way I could try them out and she didn't have to worry about them going missing, the ones I mainly used were the retired sets, I have moved this month so I won't be able to go over and play anymore, but I know that if I asked she would stamp some for me and send them to me. I love some of the ideas from the others and I will have to try some of them. Is there anyone else that is in need of help? Let us know what you do to keep your spending habits down.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 01:01 PM   #53  
Mad Swapper

I have a checking account set upj ust for my crafts. I sell cards at the farmer's market and that money goes in there (also comes out to pay for booth). About once a month I have a yard sale and put the proceeds from that in the account and I sell on ebay and on SCS in the buy/sell forum. So basically, I have to sell something to get something new. It works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 01:25 PM   #54  
R
Embossing Fanatic

I only buy from SU. I can't impulse buy that way-my demo lives in a different state! I do the wish list thing, too. Then I split it into increments of $150 so I get the hostess benefits each time. I mess around with my orders for a looooong time before I actually place them. I also look in the gallery at the sets I am thinking about ordering. If the artists on SCS haven't come up with something that looks like my style with the set, I figure I won't be able to either!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 01:37 PM   #55  
Stampin' Fool

Default how to cut down on spending..

I try to find coupons and beg for codes to help with shipping. I'm currently looking for one to help with a small purchase at www.cherishedcardsanscraps.com They have great prices on Stickles!

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 01:53 PM   #56  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackie1View Post
I like the advice that I get here at SCS because I have decided against things because others have found the faults with it, on the flip side of that, there are a few things that I have bought because everyone raves about it, but they are things I use all the time.
This is what I enjoy about this forum as well. It's so helpful that way. In addition, the ideas that ppl. have to "mimic" an expensive item and not have to shell out money for the real thing, is REALLY nice. Furthermore, I agree with a lot of women on here as far as buying an item ONLY if I know I'm gonna use it and use it often. (IE: crop-a-dile, heat embossing tool, cutting mat, quality scissors, snappy tray (LOVE THIS ONE :mrgreen: ) cutting tool, etc.) As far as adhesives go, I tried the expensive runners I saw at OfficeMax and went right through them in no time. I was very disappointed. So, now I'm seriously considering saving up some dollars to invest in a quality adhesive gun. I've been doing my homework to see which one I want to invest in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 01:57 PM   #57  
Matboard Maniac

I use white cardstock and adhere them to cardfront so I don't waste all my good expensive stampin up cardstock.

Quote:

Originally Posted by momis mamaView Post
ditto!
i do this as well! you can get 4 cards from one piece instead of 2!

I'm lost, Please someone explain, I must be having a blonde moment??

Thanks

Sherry
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 01:58 PM   #58  
Die Cut Diva

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by friendly63View Post
I stay off of here for a few days and I save hundreds!

Dawn
This is too funny. I spend more when I read the forums but generally have been very pleased with my purchases. Some purchases actually save me money in the long run however. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 03:06 PM   #59  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardFanaticView Post
I make wishes through Wish RAK. That way I get a few images of sets I don't think I'd use regularly but still want to play with. It has really helped. However, on a couple of occassions it did convince me to buy the set.
I did this too and I love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 03:41 PM   #60  
BSD
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubberloverView Post
I use white cardstock and adhere them to cardfront so I don't waste all my good expensive stampin up cardstock.

Thanks

Sherry
I am assuming they mean that they use nonSU white cardstock to cut in half for the card base, and then make just card fronts out of their expensive SU cardstock and attach to the white bases. I do this also as often as I can and it really does save money. HTH
Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 03:48 PM   #61  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 404 Likes on 305 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by friendly63View Post
I stay off of here for a few days and I save hundreds!

Dawn

ROFL!!!!!!!! We never enable
I reorganize. I honestly forget what I have sometimes. That keeps me from buying when I "find" things I "forgot" I had in the first place :mrgreen:

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My Instagram: kellyannsanti
My YouTube channel

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 03:54 PM   #62  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread to revive!

I stick to three stamp companies for the most part. That helps limit spending a lot.

I also don't buy tools until thinking about them for a really long time. It was a year before I bought my BIA, and I knew I would use it. I've had my eye on the Scor-Pal for a long time and will get it for my birthday this November. Many of my early impulse purchases in stamping were tools that I never, ever used enough to justify the cost.

I also rarely buy stamps the minute they come out. I placed my first SU order out of the new catty last week--two stamp sets that were on sale. I'll likely buy a few PTI sets from recent months this month.

The PTI order will be bigger just because I'm annoyed with my DH for signing up to do another Ironman Triathlon next year. Those things are so expensive, and he owes me, LOL! Revenge purchases are sweet but they don't help the budget, so I don't recommend them. Often.:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 04:04 PM   #63  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubberloverView Post

Thanks

Sherry
i use white card stock (1/2 of an 8.5 x 11) from walmart to create my card BASE.

then i make a card FRONT (using 1/4 of an 8.5 x 11) and adhere it to the base.

clear as mud?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 04:05 PM   #64  
Insane Embellisher

You know you have enough stuff when you have a coupon and go to AC Moore, Michaels and Hobby Lobby and come out with nothing. I find myself only getting what I really need these days. I am saving for the new BIA, so I put myself on a supply diet for now. Smile...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 04:52 PM   #65  
Stampin' Fool

Personally, I've stopped all magazine subscriptions to the magazines I don't really read, but only flip thru. I also just take a bag lunch to work instead of buying from the carousel-of-death or ordering delivery with everyone else. I also try and walk to a store whenever possible, saving money on gas and it also helps the environment.

The thing that works best for me and makes me feel good about the any crafting related purchase is saving for it instead of putting it on a credit card. The feeling that comes from knowing I've saved for it is wonderful! And when the item actually comes because I've saved up enough on my Fun Fund debit card, or I can actually walk in and buy it from a store with cash, without any guilt or worry makes it even better knowing it's 'in the clear'! ;)

The Blog

The Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 04:58 PM   #66  
Pearl-ExPert

I could certainly do a better job of practicing these tips but I have done a lot better this year and here's why. (1) New baby (2) Have combined checking accounts for first time in marriage so DH knows exactly what I spend. That has made a big difference. (3) DH is staying home with baby, which means less income. Hence the combined checking account.

Other things that work best for me are sitting on my big SU! wishlist for months before I order. I honestly end up wanting very few sets when I really think about it. I try to order sets that I know I will use over and over again and can use them differently. For example, I think Tableau of Terror in the new catty is really cute. However, it's really one stamp and kind of limited in its application. This site makes it hard to resist the new things but I try to follow these guidelines and also when I see a card in the gallery, instead of thinking I have to get that set, I ask myself what stamps I already own that I could do something similar with. Usually I have something that's really close already.

I don't buy on-line too often because I'm trying not to spend credit card money. I am selling some items on ebay and will use that money to fund craft purchases this Fall. That's motivation to clear out some unused items!

Now more than ever I watch the price of stamps. I can buy a whole set of new Inkadinkado clear stamps for less than one Whipper Snapper stamp. I LOVE Whipper Snapper designs but the cost has kept me from buying very many.

I need to do a better of job of not buying things at JoAnns or Ms as an impulse and using up supplies I already have, especially dp.

Finally, the WishRAK forum has been a great thing. I really fell in love with the poppy stamp from Bloomin; Beautiful and I loved the Rocket from Pun Fun but didn't want the entire set, kwim? So, I made some wishes and got a few images to play with and that satisfied my desire for those sets. However, sometimes I realize that I really will use a set or a bg stamp a lot and those are the ones I end up ordering.

Great thread!

My Blog

Visit My Garden
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 05:18 PM   #67  
Mad Swapper

The ways I save are limiting how many companies I buy from here on SCS. It is so easy to get caught up in all the releases. But I do buy mainly from PTI, Gina K., Hanna stamps, and clear dollar stamps. Their are sooo many amazing companies here that I would LOVE to be able to order from but I know once I get started I won't be able to say no too often. Even from the companies that I do buy from it may not be every month. I try and question myself quite a bit as to why I want it. For example, do I like it just because I saw a card I liked or do I want to buy it because I'm stressed at how with the kids and need an impulse buy. Questions like that. Also now that are budget is stretched so greatly with just everyday living costs tripled I can't justify buying that new set just to say I have it. Thanks for such a great thread. It gave me a few other ways to spend less and really made me greatful for the things that I HAVE not the things that I WANT.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 05:34 PM   #68  
Insane Embellisher

I use my Paypal account for most of my crafting $$ to spend. I periodically sell those items I just don't use anymore on Ebay and this funds my purchases.
When I go to M's or J's I only bring in $10 to spend, and always use one of their 40% off coupons.

Mostly I just sit and wait a few weeks on an impulse thought, it usually goes away. For instance, I was so excited to get my new SU catalog, but after looking everything over and waiting a few weeks I decided that I really only needed to get cardstock (In colors) and the new scalloped border punch. The things that I thought were so cute right away just didn't appeal to me again a few weeks later.

All of these things save me $ and I also try to borrow stamps sets from neighbors and friends and I like to do image swaps too. That way I can test drive any of the stamps and see if I really can use them in enough different projects or not.

I try to stay away from Archivers at all costs coz I can go crazy in there!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 05:46 PM   #69  
Polyshrink Goddess

As some of you have already said, I sell craft supplies I no longer use or want on ebay to fund new purchases. That has helped me build my stash for card making.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 05:48 PM   #70  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I go through the catalogue section by section. In each section I pick my 10 favorite sets, then use a complex prioritizing system I learned in high school to compare each item to the other, so I end up with my top 3. Two of my best friends also choose their top 3 faves, and we compare, then see who will buy what. The rule is we don't want to be buying the same sets as each other anymore - we can share.

My friend and I will go in together on cardstock. She'll buy 2 colours and I'll buy 2, and we'll split the packs. Same with designer paper.

I don't buy the SU cardstock assortments anymore. Not enough sheets of the colours I love and I get stuck with colours I don't like at all.
I use the gallery to see card ideas. If there are hundreds of images and barely 5% interest me, it's a pretty good bet I won't get much value out of the set, so I can rule it out.

If I shop online, I leave my cart full and don't check out for at least 48 hours, so I have time to be sure it's not just an impulse and I really want the items in question. At the LSS, put all my stuff out on the back table and really look at it and evaluate. When I see how much I have, I'm good at going 'ok, I don't really NEED this'.

I try to shop with a friend who is really good at saying 'you won't really use that.' She's good at helping me choose between sets at SU parties, too.

I hostess a party at least once a year. Usually twice.

I set a budget and it's reasonable, so I stick to it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 06:02 PM   #71  
Mad Swapper

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Smile

Dh brought this idea to my attention. We get a lot of packets asking for donations. You know, the greeting cards. Until a couple of years ago, when I started stamping, we would keep the return envelope for sending the contribution, and the rest discarded. Then dh said, save the envelopes, use them for your cards. I now have a box with 45 envelopes, all from those card packets. Little things can add up.

Patrice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 06:06 PM   #72  
Die Cut Diva

I try really hard to only buy things with cash or through a paypal balance. I have my own set cash "allowance" for the week that covers lunches, coffees, kids' school expenses, eating out or non-budgeted groceries -- stuff like that. If I can save on those in a given week, the rest can go to crafts. I even do this for my SU club orders because it usually helps keep me in line.

Every once in a while, I'll make an exception if it's something I've thought long and hard about buying (like my ATG gun) or during sale-a-bration or my hostess month.

I agree with the comment about staying out of dollar sections and michael's etc unless it for something specific. If I look through my stash, I must have 30 notebooks to alter, 10 frames, 10 mailboxes, 15 pails, 10 paint cans. At least $100 worth of stuff bought about $1 at a time! That would have been a fun trip to the LSS!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 07:30 PM   #73  
Insane Embellisher

I design my cards by using my paper scrap stash. When I'm ready for the real thing I switch to stampin up paper. I use white cardstock, kraft or ivory for the card and layer a 1/4 page for the main color. If you cut it just a little smaller you have one more pretty layer.
Not because I'm a demo but because I am so active in my hobby I've found that by using stampin up I can have less but do more with it. Before I got into stampin up I bought lots of cardstock and printed paper that I have difficulty matching to use. I have at least 5 ongoing scrapbooks going at a time, make groups of cards for gifts, give card sets as church bazaar gifts etc so I go through tons of paper. It took me a long time to realize that less can be more. If everything matches you don't need nearly as much stock on hand.
I also punch out or use the big shot to cut out designs out of the bottom layers on my cards. Frequently they become card candy. I have also found that by using the punches and Big Shot in my scrapbooks I no longer need to buy stickers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2008, 07:32 PM   #74  
Insane Embellisher

I forgot. I also sell on ebay. I sell enough each month to pay 2 monthly bills. I pay our satellite tv and my highspeed internet. The left over money is fair game for new supplies! Once in awhile someone asks me to make a scrapbook or group of special cards for them. That money goes towards new supplies also! It is as much fun shopping as it is using them!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 12:56 AM   #75  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Just west of Spokane, WA, on the rim of a lake with a beautiful view

A lot of great ideas here, and a few I'll have to start using. There are a few things I do to cut down on my spending:1. At least once a month I take a day and go through all my drawers and cabinets and pull out things I've forgotten about and start using them.2. I only subscribe to two or three magazines and do the same with them, at least once a month I'll go through several of them and look for ideas, usually when my DH is out of town on business and I have all the time I want to do this.3. I belong to a SU monthly stamping group, and like others, I make a list.* Actually I have a small book that I carry with me to these gatherings to keep me organized.* I have a page or two for each catagory, such as stamp sets, markers, reinkers, cs, dp, and keep a running list of what I already have and another one for what I'd like to have.* Since we only meet once a month, that gives me plenty of time to think about what I really want or need before I place an order.* I ended up with a lot of things crossed off my want list, which I decided I really didn't need, when the new catty came out.4.* I also really think about big ticket items before I decide whether or not to buy it, such as my Cuttlebug that took me about nine months before I bought it.* Now I don't need to buy anymore background stamps.5.* I am also beginning to stamp my own backgrounds and beginning to make more sets of cards using them and cordinating cs, ribbon, and embelishments.6.* And like others, I really have to beable to think of a lot of things I can do with a set of stamps before I buy it.

Norma
Chemo Angel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 04:43 AM   #76  
Hardware Hotshot

I haven't read through this thread so this may be a repeat, but the greatest tip I can give is to take a "stroll" through your collection.

You will find items you forgot you had, be reminded of just how MUCH stuff you have and therefore that you do not need more, and you will also get inspired by all the things you find.

Suzy

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 05:43 AM   #77  
Stampin' Fool

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i love the "dollar tree"! i really like their scrapbooking paper! i have tons of it! i also like their white cardstock. it's pretty lightweight, but for many of my stamping projects, it does just fine. also, i try (sometimes not hard enough!) to stick to stamp sets that are very versatile, that i will use a lot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 07:48 AM   #78  
Gallery Gazer

I recently joined the Scrapbook Challenge, which helps you to use your stash, produce, stay within a budget AND can get you putting money in your savings. I think there is something out there for cards too, but I couldn't find it. I am a cardmaker, so this was a challenge for me in more ways than the ones I listed. Too many photos laying around with no documentation. Had to do it! It helps me keep my stamping stash used as well.

Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 08:48 AM   #79  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great ideas everyone! I loved reading everyone ways to save. Here are mine:

I did a no buying challenge over the summer and it helped me realize how much stuff I have!! The rules are you don't buy anything until you make 100 layouts, projects or cards. I had adhesive as the exception, so I could buy it and it didn't count against me.

Also, I use the $1 rule too -if the item costs $10, then will I be able to use it for 10 layouts? If no then I don't buy it.

I am on a scrappy budget. I get an "allowance" each week and I can save it up or spend it right then.

I have also decided against buying the full size SU ink pads. I bought some of the stampin spots and reinkers. I just feel like I have more control of where the ink goes on the stamps with the spots and they are so much cheaper than the full size pads. My exception to this is the In Colors, since SU only offers the full sized pads. Eventually I will get all the Stampin' Spot colors.

I try to avoid buying one time use items like rubons, designer brads, etc because they run out so quickly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 10:22 AM   #80  
Rubber Obsessor

I moved....having to pack up allllll the stuff I had made me realize that I don't "need" anything! Also, as I'm unpacking some things that I haven't used before, it feels like I just bought them anyway! haha .... I haven't bought anything stamping related in...weeks. :-D

OSU College of Veterinary Medicine-Class of 2012!
Reply With Quote Likes