Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-29-2006, 01:44 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Have you used K & Co./Inkadinkado Clear on Clear Stamps?

I saw some "Clear on Clear Stamps", by Brenda Walton, for K & Co., produced by Inkadinkado (dang, manufacturer relationships are becoming quite incestuous these days!).

Was that a mouthful or whaaaaat????!!! :rolleyes:

So, back to my QUESTION:

If you've used these brand clear stamps, how did they perform or compare in quality?

I have used clear stamps by:

A Muse
Autumn Leaves
Technique Tuesday

I've been very pleased with the results I have gotten with these three brands of clear stamps, but haven't ventured much beyond them . . .

TIA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 06:34 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Julie,

I have several sets of clear stamps made by Inkadinkadoo. One set was designed by Brenda Walton. Both sets are the cutest designs, but they don't take ink well. I have had to rub and rub and rub an eraser over them. I've even sanded them. They finally took the ink, but I've never had to do that with A Muse, Autumn Leaves, or Technique Tuesday stamps.

I have no idea what makes such a big difference, but as much as I hate to say it, Inkadinkadoo is the worst I've experienced.

HTH!

Becky
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 06:50 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Bummer. :( I saw 3-4 sets all by Brenda Walton that were so darn cute!!! I was really hoping!

Thank you, Becky--I appreciate you chiming in!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 07:47 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never had any problems with All Night Media (Plaid) products or CTMH or Autumn Leaves and Technique Tuesday. However, I have only ever used a pigment, chalk type pad on any of them as they don't seem to take dye ink well, no matter what I've done to them. I wold love to hear how your experience turns out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 07:59 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Don't you wish all images made stamped beautifully!! I would be so happy Maybe they've improved... what kind of price range are they. Is it worth giving them a try?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 08:24 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

I don't have the Brenda Walton ones, but I have a couple of the Clear on Clear Inkadinado Dawn Houser sets. They are definitely different quality compared to A Muse - not as thick. I also don't like that you have to pull them apart from each other to use them (rather than them being closely trimmed and individually placed on their storage sheet).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 08:42 PM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoopy
I also don't like that you have to pull them apart from each other to use them (rather than them being closely trimmed and individually placed on their storage sheet).
Man, I read just the other day that there is supposed to be a substantial difference in quality between stamps that you have to pull apart, and those that come all with no pulling or trimming needed. Whatever it was I read also said WHY this was the case but I just can't remember.

Anyhoo, I picked up a cheapie, pull-apart alpha by All Night Media and have been happy enough with that, but I also didn't have high expectations for an alpha set that was less than $15. I'm very grateful to have had the heads-up here about the Inkadinkadoo clear stamps!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 09:11 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default a photo comparison

I learned from you, Julie, and all you wonderful visual tutors here and on blogs (and boy, do I love visuals!) that posting pics really helps us to see what we're talking about. So here's a little thanks to ya - a visual comparison of different clear stamp companies and different inks. They're all on GP CS - couldn't find my SU white since Santa never did send his elves in to clean up the disaster in my craft room. ;)
First, the disclaimer - I'm not that great at stamping, although I love it. I'm more of a scrapbooky crafter. That said, I do much better with rubbah than acrylic, but dang, they keep putting out cute clear sets! Anyway, there seems to be a trick for clear that eludes me because I find it really hard to get the right amount of pressure. I've tried a foam pad under and that doesn't help. That's why of all the sets, I love, love Hero Arts and the Gel-a-tins best - I just stamped and they came out on the first try. Didn't have to erase them either. Okay, sorry, didn't mean to write a novel. Here are the pics. If you'd like larger ones to see the detail better, pm me and I'll send them.
Results: Hate Inkadinkado and Cherry Arte. Like Rhonna Farrer and Technique Tuesday. LOVE Hero Arts and Gel-a-Tins. Also love Brilliant inks for these.
HTH!
April
Attached Thumbnails
Have you used K & Co./Inkadinkado Clear on Clear Stamps?-acrylic-stamp-comparison.jpg   Have you used K & Co./Inkadinkado Clear on Clear Stamps?-acrylic-stamp-comparison1.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2006, 04:49 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

There must be a BIG difference in the quality of whatever is used to make acrylic stamps. I know there have been threads that discuss that scientifically, but the bottom line is how well the stamp works. One thing I did notice with Inkadinkadoo clear stamps is that you really have to pull to get them off the sheet. Sometimes I was afraid I was going to tear the image. Once I rubbed the eraser over them and sanded them a little, they worked pretty well. I guess I feel you shouldn't have to go through a big process to make them work. And I'm especially not willing to do that when there are so many other companies out there that make ones that work the very first time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2006, 05:26 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Unfortunately there *is* a big difference in the quality of clear stamps and I think that has lead to some people thinking clear stamps aren't very good.
Mel is correct, if you have to cut or pull apart clear stamps they are NOT good quality, that is one way to tell. Also if they are super cheap, that's another tell tale sign that they probably aren't good either.
HTH

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2006, 09:27 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

I've only worked predominantly with the 3 clear brands I mentioned, and, will emphasize that I found all of those to perform very well.

I did know there is a huge difference in quality of clear stamps and that it varies dramatically from one manufacturer to another--I didn't know that tidbit about having to pull/separate the samps apart from each other being a "clue" to quality, and really appreciate ya'all sharing this info.

It sure is frustrating to see some of these great images that I'd *love* to work with, only to find out they are manufactured with such poor quality material, that it's pointless . . . :(

I love Dawn Houser, and Brenda Walton both . . . it's really too bad . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2006, 02:00 PM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I learn so much from all of you. Thank you all
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2006, 02:09 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

I have some of the Plaid Dawn Houser stamps, and they're not the greatest. I was kind of surprised when I went out on a limb and purchased some Rubber Soul and MSE clear stamps--definitely a whole other level! Both RS and MSE stamps are individual-they're not untrimmed, pull-apart like the Plaid ones are.

Oh, and my issue with the Plaid was ink beading up on the surface. Then again, I've had the same issue with CTMH stamps and they're not pull-apart.

I do like the clear, unmounted for alphabets, but for consistent quality, I know I can always count on rubber.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2007, 10:08 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

After making several comments on this thread, I decided to dig out the sets that I have just to make sure I was remembering correctly. I bought the cutest Brenda Walton alphabet set, and after trying the other set and being so completely annoyed with how badly the ink beaded up, I never even tried the alphabet set. They took chalk inks beautifully. But if I'm going to use any other kind of ink, I'm going to be doing a lot of erasing and sanding. If you really like the images in a certain set, I guess it's not the end of the world to have to erase on them to make them work. You definitely can get them to work. It's just whether you want to bother with it or not.

A Muse, CTMH, Autumn Leaves, Technique Tuesday...they all work perfectly the first time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2007, 10:26 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoboysandagirl
After making several comments on this thread, I decided to dig out the sets that I have just to make sure I was remembering correctly. I bought the cutest Brenda Walton alphabet set, and after trying the other set and being so completely annoyed with how badly the ink beaded up, I never even tried the alphabet set. They took chalk inks beautifully. But if I'm going to use any other kind of ink, I'm going to be doing a lot of erasing and sanding. If you really like the images in a certain set, I guess it's not the end of the world to have to erase on them to make them work. You definitely can get them to work. It's just whether you want to bother with it or not.

A Muse, CTMH, Autumn Leaves, Technique Tuesday...they all work perfectly the first time!
Aaaah. Thanks, Becky!

I wanted the Brenda Walton Maison FRAMES very muchly--so classic, and such great shapes. I have all the Colorbox Cat's Eye Chalk Inks . . . Maybe I should reconsider? I wonder how well they'd take to Stewart Superior's Palette Hybrid Inks . . .hmmmmmm. I have all those, too. LOL! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2007, 11:56 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

subscribing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2007, 12:14 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

I haven't seen the Maison Frames set, Julie. I'm gonna have to go searching.

I knew you were a fan of fluid chalk inks. That's what I tried, and the image stamped perfectly. If you really love the set, I say "go for it!" Especially if you'll likely be using chalk ink. Wish I had the Pallette Hybrids to try for ya.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2007, 12:48 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

All clear stamps do not like dye ink but they LOVE Stampin Up craft ink or any other pigment ink or chalk ink as well. Dye ink would bead up, like it's water resistent. Chalk and pigment ink don't do that, all even. I assume stazon would be like chalk or pigment ink but it will stain the stamp bad even after cleaning up with stazon cleaner or simply green.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2007, 01:52 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
I saw some "Clear on Clear Stamps", by Brenda Walton, for K & Co., produced by Inkadinkado (dang, manufacturer relationships are becoming quite incestuous these days!).

Was that a mouthful or whaaaaat????!!! :rolleyes:

So, back to my QUESTION:

If you've used these brand clear stamps, how did they perform or compare in quality?

I have used clear stamps by:

A Muse
Autumn Leaves
Technique Tuesday

I've been very pleased with the results I have gotten with these three brands of clear stamps, but haven't ventured much beyond them . . .

TIA!

Julie,
I can't find the clear Amuse stamps. Am I missing something on the website?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2007, 02:15 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by wagleg
Julie,
I can't find the clear Amuse stamps. Am I missing something on the website?
Thanks
The clear alpha sets are at the very bottom here: http://www.amuseartstamps.com/backgr...fm?ShowAll=Yes

And, the 2 sentiment + images sets, for card making, are here, again at the very bottom:

http://www.amuseartstamps.com/celebr...fm?ShowAll=Yes

HTH, :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2007, 02:35 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
The clear alpha sets are at the very bottom here: http://www.amuseartstamps.com/backgr...fm?ShowAll=Yes

And, the 2 sentiment + images sets, for card making, are here, again at the very bottom:

http://www.amuseartstamps.com/celebr...fm?ShowAll=Yes

HTH, :grin:
Thank you. I love that polka dot alphabet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2007, 03:43 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Jen- if your having problems with ink beading up on the stamp they need to be conditioned. I use a clean white eraser and rub it on the stamp, then clean and you're ready to go. I actually recommend doing this whenever you have a new set of clear stamps. It only takes a minute and you only have to do it once and it helps alot, especially on solid images.
HTH

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2007, 04:35 AM   #23  
Crimping Master

wagleg,

The polka dot set is DARLING! It's definitely a "must have"!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2007, 06:24 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Julie,
I have the Maison Frames set and am excited to see that the chalk inks will work. I have rarely used the set even though I love the images because I have been annoyed at how it stamps. If I get the chance I will pull the set out and my chalk inks and see how it performs
Onita
Isaiah 40:31
check this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2007, 07:42 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

alrighty i needed a quick thank you so i tried this out right away with the chalk inks... results much better. The stamps aren't very expensive so it's not a huge investment but they are still a lesser quality than other acrylics I have. here is a link to the card:
Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
check this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2007, 09:35 AM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

okay, now i feel like a nerd... but here's one more ;)

check this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2007, 09:46 AM   #27  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onita76
okay, now i feel like a nerd... but here's one more ;)

Well, then, you're in good company. I'm a nerd, too. ;)

And, I scurried right on over to peek like Speedy Gonzalez when you shared!

And, thank you. I think I'm gonna hafta get this set now. :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2007, 11:45 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

I just ordered from Joann's yesterday. Wish I would have known sooner how good those Maison Frames look.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2007, 12:39 PM   #29  
Forum Fanatic

I've never tried the clear on clear stamps - but I do have quite a few different clear stamps. The ones I've got are:

Inky Antics,
Technique Tuesday,
Autumn Leaves,
a*muse

and ALL of them from these 4 companies are really great stamps. They all stamped great as soon as I used them - no conditioning needed.

And like a couple others mentioned - if you in ANY way have to trim, pull apart or whatever like that w/ clear stamps then they are NOT good quality (there is a site out there that lists all the differences between clear stamps and rubber and what to look for in both but for the life of me I can't remember where it is!! :()
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2007, 01:12 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Clear stamps-2 interesting links

Here's a great thread with interesting tips and facts on clear stamps:
Clear Stamps?

In my post #11 in that thread, I've got a link to a great article (maybe that's the one you mean, Amy?):
How can I tell the good from the bad? - 4 tips

Want to join the SCS Fan Club?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2007, 01:45 PM   #31  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by avonlea
Here's a great thread with interesting tips and facts on clear stamps:
Clear Stamps?

In my post #11 in that thread, I've got a link to a great article (maybe that's the one you mean, Amy?):
How can I tell the good from the bad? - 4 tips
That's not the exact same article - but a good one nonetheless!!

Here's the direct link to it if anyone's interested:

http://www.stewartsuperior.com/html/clearstampmfg_
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2007, 03:45 PM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Here's the good and the bad I have tried:

I love the Clear Stamps by

Inky Antics
My Sentiments Exactly

I used pigment ink (Versafine) and got great results.
__________________________________________________ _____________

I had really BAD results with the clear acrylic DISNEY scrapbook stamp set I got at Hobby Lobby. They are JUNK!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 07:14 PM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

Greetings everyone,

This is Linda, from A Muse. Thanks for the kind words about our clear stamps. :-D

Here is a simple explanation for you on clear stamps that will hopefully be helpful.

There are two different types of clear stamps - photo polymer and vinyl. Photo polymer stamps are generally made in the USA (ours are made by Stewart Superior). The durometer (the hardness) of the photo polymer made by Stewart Superior is the same (or very close) to rubber. This provides for a great stamped image with every ink I have tried. The photo polymer stamps are also quite tacky and cling very well to acrylic blocks (they do not, however, stick to the paper when you are stamping for those of you that may have some much, much older photo-polymer stamps like I do). Also, photo polymer stamps never need to be pulled apart - those that do are made from pressed vinyl.

Vinyl stamps are generally made in the Orient and are usually significantly cheaper than those made of photo-polymer. From my experience, ink tends to bead up on the vinyl material as it is too hard. I have heard from some stampers that if you rub an eraser over the image this helps create a better surface for the ink so if you are having problems with vinyl stamps you may want to try this.

If you are interested in learning more about photopolymer stamps, there is great information to be found on the Stewart Superior website.

Happy Stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 07:28 PM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Talking

Hellooooo, Linda!!!

Thank you for your explanation! Can you also share with us your experience with ink pads? It seems chalk inks and pigment inks are the way to go.

Dude...you *and* your stamps ROCK!

*blessings to you and A Muse in 2007!*

~Cris
(A Muse groupie...tee hee)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 08:05 PM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi Cris,

Thanks for your kind words!

I am happy to share with you my ink preferences for clear stamps.

In general, I prefer to use pigment inks for both rubber and clear stamps. I have only a few dye-based ink pads in my entire collection.

For clear stamps, my FAVORITE ink is Versafine Onyx Black. I tend to use black a LOT and then enhance my stamped images with markers or pencil crayons. The Versafine inks dry quickly and Onyx black is such nice crisp dark black. It is also easily removed from the clear stamps.

I have also had good luck with:
  • Colorbox pigment
  • Colorbox Fluid Chalk
  • Brilliance
  • VersaMagic
  • VersaColor

You can use dye-based inks (like Ancient page) with clear stamps, but they will permanently stain your stamps.

I do not have any familarity with other brands of inks.

As for cleaning my clear stamps - I just use baby wipes. While the clear stamp is still on the acrylic block, I give it a wipe and then put it back on the transfer sheet. I find that this keeps the cling going for quite a while. For really messy stamps, UltraClean from Stewart Superior is great.

I am a pretty careful stamper and my clear stamps are all slightly "stained". They do not transfer ink from pad to pad but they do seem to have a slight tint of color on them from the inks I've used. I actually like this because it makes it easier to spot the outline of the image.

BTW, if your photo polymer stamps ever lose their cling just wash them with a bit of dishwashing soap (or "fairy liquid" as it is called in the UK! I LOVE this!! :-D ) and warm water and the cling should come right back.

Hope this helps!!

Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 09:26 PM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

This is such an educational thread about clear stamps. Thatnks everyone for al of the information. The only clear stamps that I have tried and like very much are from Clearly Wordsworth and Autumn Leaves. I'm just getting into the clear stamps. I will definately try A Muse next.

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2007, 10:14 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Thumbs up Sassafras Lass

I noticed that Sassafras Lass isn't mentioned here. I've used their stamps and they are also great quality. And I learned a tip from them! Put the stamp on *backwards* on your block and ink it up with a lighter colour and stamp. Clean it and put it back on your block properly. Ink it with a darker colour and stamp over your 'background shadow'. Neat!

Here are the companies for whom Stewart Superior manufactures clear stamps (click to see their page...they have links, too):
  • Bullard Designs
  • Carolee�s Creations
  • DabaLittle
  • Hampton Art Stamps
  • Katydid Shop
  • Limited Edition Rubberstamps
  • Little Black Dress Designs
  • Magenta
  • MLI Hobby & Hantverk
  • My Sentiments Exactly
  • Paper Candy
  • Paper Inspirations
  • Paper Parachute
  • Rusty Pickle
  • Stampington & Company
  • Stamp Insanity
  • Tin box Creations
  • Woodware
  • Wordsworth

Be sure to check out the other, quality companies not mentioned in their list, but mentioned in this thread!

And it'll be great to get feedback on some of the new Winter/Spring 2007 clear stamp releases...especially those from the big scrapbooking companies.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2007, 10:46 AM   #38  
Polyshrink Goddess

this is a great informative thread! I, too, am just starting to buy some of the clear stamps, mostly because I've found some really cute ones. I'll subscribe to this thread so I can check back whenever I buy from another company!
And I LOVELOVELOVE A Muse and thanks, Linda*loo for the great answer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2007, 11:20 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Julie, I have some Clear on Clear stamps and I was so disappointed with the quality. I store all my clear stamps in a dark box and I find that after about 2 weeks about 4 of the stamps had completely dried up, shrivelled and fell of the clear piece of acetate they were stored on. No amount of cleaning or trying to rehydrate them worked, they just sit forlornly in the bottom of the bag they came in! :( I really don't think you would be happy with the quality, but I guess they are not a huge outlay of bucks if you find you don't like them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2007, 06:57 AM   #40  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ally
Julie, I have some Clear on Clear stamps and I was so disappointed with the quality. I store all my clear stamps in a dark box and I find that after about 2 weeks about 4 of the stamps had completely dried up, shrivelled and fell of the clear piece of acetate they were stored on. No amount of cleaning or trying to rehydrate them worked, they just sit forlornly in the bottom of the bag they came in! :( I really don't think you would be happy with the quality, but I guess they are not a huge outlay of bucks if you find you don't like them.
Oh my gosh!!! :shock:

Well, I'd say I wouldn't be happy AT ALL if that's what they do . . . :(

Holy smokes! TFS your experience. I am bummed on your behalf. Have you contacted the manufacturer about this?
Reply With Quote Likes