Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-11-2006, 11:10 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many demos sell stamps sets after they retire.

If you have a stamp set and it goes on the retired list .do you automatically sell it .or do you keep it anyway for other than workshops and classes.

I understands that is half the reason you bought it was becuase you liked it so much other wise you would of never bought it.But I can never understand why SU wouldn't allow you to use a SU stamp set that you have already bought and paid for just because it retires.

I also understand that it doesn't help sales if you demo a retired set.But why? spend all that money and then you can't use it for workshops or classes.

I know that at this point you can only use it for your own personal use.But that's a lot of money to be dishing out and then you can't use it.I have read before that some demos bought 12 or 13 sets and then half of them retire the next year that's 6 sets you can no longer use.That's a huge bummer.not to put a damper on new demos out there but.They shoyuld at least allow you ladies to use these stamp sets some time other than your own personal use.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2006, 11:21 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

If I can't live without the set then I keep it, otherwise I sell it after July 1st. I think I only have two retired sets right now: Dots and Daisies BG and Silent Night.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2006, 11:51 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

It's not that you can't use retired stamps, it's just that it makes no sense to demonstrate something that you cannot sell to someone. If you introduce someone to a product they love and then tell them they can't buy one, that is not good business.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2006, 12:30 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Some sets we earn or receive for free...so we may or may not be totally in love with it...if that is the case I sell it...If I bought it for a particually class/workshop and not in love with it I may sell it, but for the most part I buy sets that I love and don't sell them as soon as the retire. If new sets become available that will replaced a retired set that I have that I like better I will sell the retired to buy the current set...I think in all it becomes a storage issue for most.

mindy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2006, 12:35 PM   #5  
Total Quack

I keep all of mine because I love to stamp. That's why I got into this in the first place. I don't figure that I will be a demo forever, so I shouldn't give up all these wonderful sets that I have.

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2006, 12:42 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm getting ready to sell a few sets. Most I had before I was a demo but I'm selling them because I'm finished with them. I rarely use them and I'd like to make room for some new sets, especially with SAB coming up. One set has provided me with Christmas cards for different years. It's unlikely I'll ever use it again for mass card making. I did stamp it off a few times to use as an accent. And, I also make a 4 x 6 layout to use as a seasonal picture. It doesn't owe me a thing. ;)

Personally, I wouldn't sell a set JUST because it was retired. But, it really doesn't make sense to demo them if you can't provide it for your customers. Some sets I'll always keep though. I love all of my bird sets, current and retired, and Botanicals will never be traded or sold. I wanted to trade Happy Winter but every time I think I'm ready, I see a really cute creation and realize I'm not done with that yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2006, 12:49 PM   #7  
Total Quack

Little hi-jack ..... Mungo ... do you happen to like Cats the musical???????

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2006, 01:19 PM   #8  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sell my sets just because they retire? Not this demo chicky
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2006, 01:24 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

SU doesn't "forbid" demos to use retired sets for demoing. They just point out, sensibly, that it's kind of pointless. Wwe demo for the purpose of selling stamp sets. No reason to irritate a customer by "teasing" her with something she can no longer purchase.

People that sell their retired sets are only doing it because "they" want to, not because SU has issued an edict forcing them to, lol. Just take a peek in my closet....it's overflowing with retired sets!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2006, 01:28 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shell
Little hi-jack ..... Mungo ... do you happen to like Cats the musical???????
Actually, I've never seen it. But, I like real cats.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2006, 01:31 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I don't sell mine either. I buy them cuz I love them, and have had workshops where I don't expect any sales and use a retired set (last weekend I had a girls group and we used penguins for our Christmas ornaments). My upline sells all retired as soon as the new catalogue comes out so that she can buy the new sets. Each to their own I think
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2006, 02:16 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

When I signed up as a demo last year I took a hard look at my retired stamp sets and sold the ones I wasn't really using anyway -- made enough to pay for my starter kit! This past July I pulled out all the retiring sets that (again) I wasn't really using and set them aside for sale. I did keep a few sets, but most of them got the boot. I did this to get the cash for my first big order from the new catty!

I'm a reforming pack rat, so if something's just taking up space I really try to let it go.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2006, 02:25 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Wink

I give my retired sets to either friends who stamp or one of my husband's sister. Lucky women, my sets are alway is excellent shape.
Jennifer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2006, 02:28 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I keep all of my retired sets. I buy what I love, and what I have plans to use, so I need to keep them. ;) (think dh would believe that? LOL!) I'm a hobby demo, and stamp because I love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2006, 03:37 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a hobbly demo with a tiny customer base and I sell of or give away my retired sets. Sadly, most of the sets I get rid of are not that "used". I find that I tend to use a few sets a lot and then get bored of it and move on to something else. I also have some space issues and clean out so I can make room for new stamp sets; plus the sale of the sets allows me to buy new toys to play with.

Check out my blog

Here's my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2006, 03:54 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

I keep all my sets for the most part because I buy the sets because I like them. I will sell them when I am sick of them or if I see a set on BST for trade that I want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2006, 05:39 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm one of the ones that sell what retires. I've tried to keep the ones I really love but new ones always come around. I love my stamps but know I cannot keep or use them all. By selling them I make more room and money to buy the new stuff I know I will have to have. Believe me, I'm never short of stamp sets even if they are all current.
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~
Mother to 6 and Grandmother to Katie- 7/31/09 & Kyle-12/6/12

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2006, 06:35 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I only sell the retired sets that I'm tired of owning. If I even suspect that it's just a phase and I might want to use it again, I keep it. I've sold very, very few sets.

I'm a hobby demo, so I only buy stamps for myself. On the rare occasion I do a workshop, I can use the stamp sets I own. Most of my stamping is for personal use, so retired versus current doesn't factor into anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2006, 06:49 PM   #19  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I sell almost all my retired sets.... to make money for NEW rubbah!!!! It's a great way to make $$$ for the new catty.

Seriously I have about 70 sets and maybe ten of them are retired. Some I keep for a year or so and realize I never used them again anyway, so out they go.

I'm one of those people who has a garage sale every year, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2006, 07:03 PM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shell
I keep all of mine because I love to stamp. That's why I got into this in the first place. I don't figure that I will be a demo forever, so I shouldn't give up all these wonderful sets that I have.

Amen, Sister!! I have a box that I keep saying I will put my retired stamps in there to sell and they always end up back on the shelves!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2006, 07:14 PM   #21  
Forum Fanatic

I'm not a demo... yet... but I know I won't sell any of mine.... I couldn't part with them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2006, 07:26 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

I sell mine as they retire. I have Stamper's ADD... I have to have NEW all the time! My tastes change so often that I always want something new and different. :oops: I just sold 50 sets over the past couple weeks and I always look forward to getting the retired list to see what else I can boot out the door to make room for NEW!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2006, 07:27 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

When I demo'd I kept everything! I never sold off sets because they retired, I just put an orange sticker on the box and put it in a different drawer so I would know not to use it for a workshop. I never bought anything if I didn't see a use outside of workshops, it was always sets that I would have other uses for.

I remember another demo telling me that her upline had like 30 sets she got rid of after retirement list. 30 sets, holy moley. But again if she had that many and she wanted to have current sets for customers than power to her to get money for more/new sets! But I got too attached to mine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2006, 07:54 PM   #24  
Gabfest Goddess

I keep most of mine unless the style really isn't me anymore or I am just not into that set anymore. I have sold some sets.

What I think you have misunderstood in your statement that makes it confusing is:

1) SU! doesn't mandate to us that we can/cannot use certain things in our demos/workshops/classes etc... (except stuff from other companies) but it is in our best interest to try and sell the things that we can sell. And we do represent the company when we demo.

2) Most SU! Demos I know (including me) are also customers/stamping enthusiasts. So even if I cannot use a set to demo with, I can use it personally. And... I certainly stamp as much and most likely more often than most of my customers just for my personal gratification/hobby, so I get plenty of use out of all my stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2006, 08:21 PM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I sell mine too after they retire, unless I'm really attached to it. The only retired one I can think of right now that is downstairs on the shelf is Small Script. There's always something newer and better coming along, and I like to have the money for new stuff. I became a demo in May '05 and had a LOT of retired sets that I sold after July 1st that year and made about $800. This past year I sold everything that retired, too but do not remember what I made. Probably because it just went right back into new rubber! LOL

I know not what this day holds....but I know Who holds the day!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2006, 02:59 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm a stamper first, then a demo. I don't see why I'd sell a stamp set that I loved enough to buy! There's the argument that you can't demo it, but I have a LOT of current sets I don't demo, partly because I don't do many workshops, mostly Stamp Camps, and also because there's not enough time in the year to demo all my current sets! So I keep all my retired sets - except the 3 that I already sold to customers - and I'm regretting it!! <G>
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2006, 04:04 AM   #27  
Glitter Guru

I only buy stamp sets I love and am pretty sure I will use...sometimes it is hard to resist the lower priced ones (like $14.95 and under) even if you are not sure if you are going to use them...

I have sold a few of my retired sets - as a demo last year i earned extra hostess and SAB sets so I sold most of those - I kept a few back to give as gifts to customers (especially those that are new to stamping) - other sets my style has changed over the years so I just didn't find I was using them at all...

I never buy stamps just to demo - I demo what I like...which means the stamp set and the colors...

When the retired list comes out this year I might take a long look at those sets I am just not using that are retired and sell them...but there are some that I will never sell in a bajillion years - like Sage Advice and Art of Life...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2006, 04:10 AM   #28  
Gabfest Goddess

When I was a demo I kept all the retireds that I loved. If I think I want to get rid of a stamp set I put it in a box for a couple months. If I see it and don't want to use it then I will let it go after a while. I only regret getting rid of one stamp set of the 15 or 20 that I did sell.

I did get a lot of sets initially when I became a demo that I realized weren't my style as I grew into my hobby. Those are mostly the ones that end up being traded/sold. As I gaze at the gallery I have to remember that just because a Dirty Girl made a great card doesn't mean that set is my style!
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2006, 04:20 AM   #29  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's anything I've learned in this business, it's that there will always be new stamps that I want and that I tend to use things the most when I first get them.

So I do sell a lot of retired sets. Last year I had 87 sets on the retired list. I probably kept 10 or so of those and started selling the rest. I don't have an endless supply of money to buy new stamps, so selling older sets I am not attached to is a way of getting the money to buy the new rubber I want. ANd I have to say most of the ones that retired I had bought in the first year or two of my demonstratorship and I had stopped using them anyway.

I do keep some retired: most background stamps, all my alphabets, and a few others that I am fond of. The rest I sell if I can get a decent price for them. I look at stamps as an investment; not only for the value they have, but for the revenue they can generate. Once they are retired, the revenue part is gone and there is only value left. Some sets are very valuable and I have sold them for more than I paid. With other ones you are lucky to get 25 cents on the dollar.

But like I said, there will always be new rubber out there that I want, so selling off makes sense to me.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2006, 06:46 PM   #30  
Cardstock Collector

This may be out of place, but for those of you who sell retired stamps--I am looking for the Sports Fans jumbo roller. Would anyone be interested in selling theirs?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2007, 07:25 AM   #31  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

so, i am pondering this exact thing---to sell or not to sell! and i'm not even a demo! when selling, do most of you just put them for sale here in the forum, or go to ebay, a garage sale or what? seems like if everyone sold them all at once, no one would really want to buy them and if you wait until the new catalog comes out, everyone will be too interested in the new stuff to even consider buying retired sets! what is the best advice for this dilemma?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2007, 08:00 AM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 317 Likes on 203 Posts

Hi Lisa - I keep sets that I really really love, and sell the rest - BUT NOT RIGHT AWAY! I don't reward my customers for not buying new - I don't want them to count on getting them in July at a discount. I will probably wait until September, and then sell a bit at a time at my stamp-a-stack events.

The card samples that I made with retiring sets are a different story - they go on sale TODAY!
Reply With Quote Likes