Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-07-2006, 08:46 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I took the plunge and went unmounted...

After reading all the threads about unmounting stamps, I decided to give it a shot. Bought 5 sheets of EZ Mount and 36 empty CD cases.

I got 34 sets done (they were the smaller sets) and have a sheet and a half left. I love the space that it's going to save. I haven't actually stamped anything yet, so I still have no comments about the use of them.

But being a military wife, I can tell you I am going to save a lot of weight on our shipment of household items whenever we have to move again. I decided to weigh everything before and after. I cut over 50% of the weight out! That is a lot when you start talking about people who have hundreds of stamps sets.

I will say though that the EZ mount is so super sticky. I know it has to be, but it is just a little hard to work with. I may try the grafix cling next after I finish up the sheets I have.

For those who haven't taken the plunge and aren't sure yet...I've attached a photo of the stamp sets I mounted in the old system vs the new unmounted CD storage system.

Thanks to everyone who has posted in previous threads about your opinions, pros, cons, etc...

Tiffany
Attached Thumbnails
So I took the plunge and went unmounted...-stamps-before-after.jpg  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2006, 10:02 PM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

Awesome!! You did a lot of work, and I hope you find the UM stamps as enjoyable and easy to work with as mounteds. I was wondering, when you say EZ mount is super sticky, what does this mean? I just ordered two sheets of EZ Mount from Stampo and don't want to be kicking myself for not getting Creative Cling (same type of product but I've heard is less 'sticky') instead. Is it the clingy side that is sticky or gummy?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2006, 10:07 PM   #3  
Glitter Queen

How did you mounnt them with CD Cases??? I don't understand the process. How did that make it better??
Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2006, 10:13 PM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

Oops, I meant Smart Cushion, not Creative Cling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2006, 10:16 PM   #5  
Forum Fanatic

Hello Ann, welcome to SCS!!!!! I hope the following link will answer your question about unmounted stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2006, 10:16 PM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

I suppose pasting the link would help, wouldn't it.

http://www.scrappilyeverafter.net/mounting
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2006, 10:21 PM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Now I'm getting all excited about my EZ Mount getting to me. Tiffany, did you coat your scissors with a light coat of Versamark ink? If the super-sticky issue had to do with your scissors getting gummed up, I have heard this helps keep your scissors ungummed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2006, 04:10 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by hadleyzoo
But being a military wife, I can tell you I am going to save a lot of weight on our shipment of household items whenever we have to move again. I decided to weigh everything before and after. I cut over 50% of the weight out! That is a lot when you start talking about people who have hundreds of stamps sets.
:-D I think the storage savings is awesome and we never know how big the quarters will be where we end up! My stamping stuff is tucked in with the washer/dryer and furnace right now...ugh. But atleast it all fits somewhere!

And the BEST part...my husband never asks me anymore, "do you really need all of those stamps?" :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2006, 05:10 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having un-mounted over 100 SU sets and of course all my TAC is unmounted, I could not be happier! I have no cushion of any kind on mine either!

I have Aileens TIOAO and use them on my blocks with no problem!

Talk about storage! I have hundreds of stamps in 3 photo boxes on the shelp by my desk! Right at my finget tips in less room than a 10 boxed sets!

Enjoy!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2006, 05:18 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

yeah the EZ Mount is sticky....like the sticky side is uber gooey. My scissors were NOT pleased during the process! I put a titch of goo gone on the blades while I cut tho!
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2006, 05:20 AM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

I am just finishing up unmounting the last of my 350+ stamp sets. I will be done by Wednesday. I do not even use my Kai scissors. I found that was too sticky. I put all my rubber on the EZ Mount or Smart Cushion and then cut around them with my Xacto knife. So much easier and less messy! Then I just pop them out and add them to my CD cases. Every single one of my sets fit in 1-2 CD cases. I am loving this new system. Yes, I have been using them also. I will take a pic of my new system when I finish this week!

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2006, 05:30 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel
Awesome!! You did a lot of work, and I hope you find the UM stamps as enjoyable and easy to work with as mounteds. I was wondering, when you say EZ mount is super sticky, what does this mean? I just ordered two sheets of EZ Mount from Stampo and don't want to be kicking myself for not getting Creative Cling (same type of product but I've heard is less 'sticky') instead. Is it the clingy side that is sticky or gummy?
What I meant by the EZMount being super sticky...the side where you actually put the rubber on so the rubber adheres to the EZ Mount foam. The cling side is perfect. You actually can't feel anything on the cling side, but sticks to CD cases like a charm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel
Now I'm getting all excited about my EZ Mount getting to me. Tiffany, did you coat your scissors with a light coat of Versamark ink? If the super-sticky issue had to do with your scissors getting gummed up, I have heard this helps keep your scissors ungummed.
I tried using the exacto knife, but I really hate exacto knives (bad experience years ago when I cut myself and had to get stitches). So I used the scissors to cut and just every so often cleaned them up with goo gone. I hadn't read about using the versamark. Gonna have to try it next time.

I guess I should have clarified my remark about the stickiness. My scissors actually worked really well even when they were COVERED in glue...but I had it all over my fingers.

Tiffany
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2006, 05:37 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Question UM stamps

Newbie here. I'm reading all these posts about unmounting SU stamps. But I don't understand how you are then using them to stamp. I've obviously missed something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2006, 05:54 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

When you unmount your stamps, instead of using wood blocks for each individual stamp, you now only need a small assortment of clear, acrylic blocks. The rubber stamp gets "stuck" onto a block, you ink up and stamp away. The cling is strong enough (without being sticky, mind you!) to stand up to a stamp scrubber, or, you can rinse it under water! Peel it off, put it back into its CD case (or binder system...whatever you use) and off to the next stamp! :grin:

Hope this explains it.

Many companies now sell unmounted stamps but many don't come automatically with cling. The Angel Company (TAC) does include cling and so does Cornish Heritage Farms, for instance. You can also buy the cling by itself from TAC, ebay and Sunday International when you want to take stamps off of the blocks and turn them into unmounteds...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2006, 08:01 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Isn't it hard to stamp without the index image to use as a guide? I use Staz-On to index the EZ-mount with my new TAC stamps, but wouldn't want to unmount my SU b/c of this. Maybe I'm just an unskilled stamper, but I need an index ; )
Kati
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2006, 09:13 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Default Indexing.....

I haven't gotten brave enough to unmount my SU stamps, I know they are taking space, but for some reason, I love the feel of them.

BUT, for some of my misc wood mounted stamps, I peeled the stamp off the block, then carefully peeled the clear index off the other side of the mount. Then I placed the sticky sides back to back so the image was lined up. Sometimes I had to use a little Crystal Effects to make it stick. Then I trimmed off the extra label. And lastly, put a thin coat of Aileen's Tack it Over and Over onto of the index image. Works like a charm.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2006, 09:37 AM   #17  
Forum Fanatic

I'm not sure what purpose the index image has. I stamp fine without it, especially as I generally check how well inked my stamps are by stamping on a piece of scrap paper first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2006, 09:50 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

I also don't have any trouble stamping without an index. I find that with my su stamps I never get the index sticker on the block in exactly the same place as the rubber on the reverse side anyway. On the other hand I can see through the clear acrylic block with my TAC stamps and have better control...this is me though ;-)

Another reason why I love my unmounted stamps is because I can retrim them if I leave too much excess rubber around the image. I know I can unmount them retrim and put them back on the block, but I have no desire to do that right now. One of these lifetimes I will have enough time to unmount all of the wood mounteds that I have. Right now it seems like I would be unmounting them for about 6 weeks before I got them done. And I hate to start something so massive and not finish it all before going on to the next project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2006, 10:23 AM   #19  
Watercolor Wizard

WOW you sure got a lot of stamps finished ~ :p

A little tip that someone passed along to me when she used Creative Cling� I�m sure it will work just as well with EZ Mount since it�s much stickier:

Since your remounting, lay your cut rubber out over the EZ Mount, add some baby powder to exposed sticky part of EZ Mount, then cut. This will keep you from cleaning your scissors so often ~ ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2006, 12:16 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

I was also going to mention the baby powder trick. I tried it when I unmounted mine... no more gooey scissors! Works like a charm!

Kristi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2006, 01:32 PM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Man...I wish I had known the baby powder trick when I went UM!
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2006, 01:41 PM   #22  
Glitter Guru

this is a good thread, thanks for the trick on the unmounted and baby powder, since I am getting new stamps from TAC this next week! YEAH! My first unmounted stamps! I am excited to try these!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2006, 06:04 AM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Where to buy the CD cases

Where are you finding the CD cases for all those unmounted stamps? How are you labeling the CD cases?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2006, 06:13 AM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

I get my CD cases at Walmart; they are 3.95 for 10 (I think). I cut a piece of white cardstock to fit the front and stamp it with all of the stamps inside. I also label the side of the CD with the name of the set (I use a small part of an address label.) HTH
Sandy
www.stampsandy.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2006, 07:19 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by brencpa
Where are you finding the CD cases for all those unmounted stamps? How are you labeling the CD cases?
My WM didn't have the CD cases that you take the black insert out of the middle. The ones they had had the little CD circle holder thingy in the middle (what the heck else do you call it? ;-) ) and there was no way to make it come out as it was all one piece with the CD case.

I got my CD cases at Office Depot. They have the black insert that you just pop out and then you don't have to mess with that "little CD circle holder thingy". ;-)

For the labels, I just used some Avery labels (the 4x3) ones. I printed about 8 or 9 stamp sets to one label. Cut them apart and put them on the spines of the CD cases...super easy!

Tiffany
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2006, 10:15 AM   #26  
Gabfest Goddess

The ones at Walmart do not have a black insert in the middle they are clear but they can be removed. If you have a Big Lots in your area they are only $2.49 for a pack of 10. I bought out all of them from our stores and I don't think they are going to carry them anymore. Also, be sure you do not get the "slim" cases but the regular jewel cases. I found also that Staples has the cheapest deal in bulk. You can get a pack of 24 for around $8.99. I bought all of theirs, too. Today I had to get the last 6 packs of 10 from Walmart and I also bought all of theirs, but I will be DONE with these!!!

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2006, 12:55 PM   #27  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Where to find...

I only have about 55 SU stamp sets, but I am no longer "mobile" - I can't easily take them all with me when I go stamping, which I like to do. Unmounted is becoming more and more appealing to me.

Can the EZ Mount and Creative Cling be found at HL or M's? I don't do a lot of online shopping and would prefer to go to a store.

TIA
Amy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2006, 01:17 PM   #28  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Creative Cling comes from TAC, so you have to order from a demo. I have never seen EZ Mount in any "chain" craft stores. You 'might' be able to find it at a Rubber Stamping store, but I kinda doubt it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2006, 01:21 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by robynstamps
The ones at Walmart do not have a black insert in the middle they are clear but they can be removed.
Not the ones at my Walmart. I bought a pack, brought them home, opened them up and the insert is one with the cd case. The only way to get them out is to "break" it and I'm afraid I'd break the case too. So I took them back.

I'll have to check my BigLots tomorrow because I need A LOT more cases.

Tiffany
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2006, 03:45 PM   #30  
Embossing Fanatic

K Mart has the old jewel cases for 10 for $1.99. Insides are clear but do pop out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2006, 04:51 PM   #31  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Not the ones at my Walmart. I bought a pack, brought them home, opened them up and the insert is one with the cd case. The only way to get them out is to "break" it and I'm afraid I'd break the case too. So I took them back.

I'll have to check my BigLots tomorrow because I need A LOT more cases.

Tiffany
That's not good. I thought that ours were like that, too, until I removed it. It looked like it was attached to the back but wasn't. Maybe try checking another Walmart in your area. We have 4 in a 15 mile radius! It's great!

Good luck!
Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2006, 04:52 PM   #32  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by laurakj
Creative Cling comes from TAC, so you have to order from a demo. I have never seen EZ Mount in any "chain" craft stores. You 'might' be able to find it at a Rubber Stamping store, but I kinda doubt it.
I thought a TAC demo on here said that Smart Cushion is the same thing that TAC carries but they call it Creative Cling. You can purchase that many places online. The EZ Mount is also available many places on line for great deals!

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2006, 06:03 PM   #33  
Gabfest Goddess

I have many TAC stamps and I have unmonted some of my other ones . . . I have not had any problem lining them up, in fact it is so much easier. I am doing my Christmas cards and my main image kept getting stamped crooked. I quickly microwaved it, stuck it on some creative cling, and then stamped away 10-20 perfect images without my SAMJ or having to restamp any of them.
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2006, 07:29 PM   #34  
Inking Addict

How many times can you stick the rubber stamp to acrylic and then back to the cling and vis versa. I guess what I am trying to say do any of the methods mentions for doing UM how long does the stickiness stay sticky?
Doesn't it lose it's stickiness after being used a number of times? Just curious -- as some one who lacks space the um system sounds like a good idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by allamericanstampers
When you unmount your stamps, instead of using wood blocks for each individual stamp, you now only need a small assortment of clear, acrylic blocks. The rubber stamp gets "stuck" onto a block, you ink up and stamp away. The cling is strong enough (without being sticky, mind you!) to stand up to a stamp scrubber, or, you can rinse it under water! Peel it off, put it back into its CD case (or binder system...whatever you use) and off to the next stamp! :grin:

Hope this explains it.

Many companies now sell unmounted stamps but many don't come automatically with cling. The Angel Company (TAC) does include cling and so does Cornish Heritage Farms, for instance. You can also buy the cling by itself from TAC, ebay and Sunday International when you want to take stamps off of the blocks and turn them into unmounteds...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2006, 02:42 AM   #35  
Gallery Gazer

Hi amyjoy! I've had mine for just over 4 years now. Because it isn't "sticky" there really isn't anything to wear out but I understand your concern. Mine have been going strong all this time. :grin:

I once had a group of nonstampers over and we made polymer clay "dolls" and used pearl ex...one of them really smooshed a small heart stamp (1/2'' size) into the middle of all of that. Actually, it was probably repeatedly!! Anyways, that's the only stamp that has ever suffered and I ended up putting a new piece of cling (leftover from something else I cut out because I am very frugile that way!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2006, 02:49 AM   #36  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I bought a pack, brought them home, opened them up and the insert is one with the cd case. The only way to get them out is to "break" it and I'm afraid I'd break the case too.
Sometimes you do really have to "break" it out (even mine from Staples can be a bear!)...and even though you are sure you are going to destroy the case, it seems to work in the end. I also learned here on SCS that you can pop out those little half moon/circle shapes on the sides and that will give you more space too! ;) Just push down on them til they snap off. Always be careful of the 1/2 inch open side though, you don't want any edges to cut down into your rubber.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2006, 02:08 PM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

So I am finished unmounting all my stamps. Well, not ALL...I decided not to do my alphabets or my word sets because I'm sick of this project! Heehee...

So I'll show you what I started with and where I am now. The white cabinet was cram-packed full of NOTHING but stamp sets. And I mean FULL! Some of the shelves were 2-deep with sets.

Now all of my stamps sit in this nice little stackable units I got on sale at the Container Store today. So I went from a cabinet with 148 sets, to a cabinet top with 148 sets.

Now I can use my cabinet to put in all my books, papers, scrapbooks, etc that have all been sitting on the floor, under the table, etc.

I will say the EZ Mount is the best way to go. I did most with EZ mount, but decided to try some Grafix Cling since others liked that too. But when I took the stamp off the blocks (rubber and foam both together), I found that all of that "sticky" was on the blocks and not the foam. So I used some rubber cement to sort of "glue" the foam to the cling...but I don't think it's going to hold so I may eventually go EZ mount with those. Unless someone has a suggestion??

Tiffany
Attached Thumbnails
So I took the plunge and went unmounted...-cabinet-used-stamps.jpg   So I took the plunge and went unmounted...-stamps-now.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2006, 02:15 PM   #38  
Mad Swapper

How many hours do you estimate it took you to do this??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2006, 02:15 PM   #39  
Mad Swapper

BTW...I am very impressed!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2006, 07:28 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by allidee
How many hours do you estimate it took you to do this??
I'd have to say it probably took me a total of about 40 hours to do it all. Kids are in school all day so that's what I've been working on for the last week to week and a half (in between answering the phone, cleaning bathrooms, cleaning house, etc.).

Tiffany
Reply With Quote Likes