Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-28-2007, 12:05 AM   #121  
Matboard Maniac

I *heart* EZ Mount. Love the stuff!!! However, it can get expensive when considering adding shipping costs to it. I unmounted my stamps in batches and did not know how many sheets I would need. So I only ordered a few sheets at a time, and was always running out of it. Since I didn't unmount them all at once, it gave me time to try different things (and yes, I unmounted all brands, not just SU & CTMH). Okay, so with mine it was progressive, and what I found in the end was I can do without EZ Mount altogether by removing the rubber die from the original mounting foam and block. I adhere the stamps to a clear block with repositionable adhesive, and slap a mouse pad down underneath the paper to level it out when stamping. This works great for me and eliminates the need for a cushion mounted onto my rubber die.

(Note: For those with cushion questions, a cushion levels out the stamp if the table underneath or the mounting block has any unevenness to it.)

(Another note: When I unmounted several sets and mounted them on EZ Mount, I used the baby powder trick, and bought some of the non-stick scissors. Both those made it a less messy task.)

Okay, now after some trail and error, here is my experience with temporary mounting adhesives (again this was a progressive thing):

I tried Aleene's TIOAO -- works great, but requires a brush, and messy to apply. And I thought it took a long time to dry.

I tried Zig 2-way glue -- works okay, and dries quicker than Aleene's, but it's not as tacky as the Aleene's. Also it loses its tackiness quicker.

I put Aleene's TIOAO onto one of my clear blocks. It works okay, but it cut down on visibility when lining up the stamps. The one block still has it on there, but I did not put it on any more of my blocks for that reason.

I tried repositionable double-sided scotch tape. I like it a lot. But I found it does have it's drawbacks. Like I noticed when I clean the stamp after stamping once. If the tape gets a little wet (which it almost always does) it loses its stickiness and has to be replaced, which can get a little expensive @ 5 bucks a roll.

A recent discovery for me is using Removable Herma Dotto on my acrylic block. Love this a lot and probably will use it exclusively in the future. It doesn't take much of it, and seems to keep its sticky longer than double-sided tape. It rubs right off the block whenever I want it to. The refills are pretty reasonable on sale or with a coupon.

HTH!
Old 02-28-2007, 03:25 AM   #122  
Forum Fanatic

I found EZ mount for $3.99 a sheet, and if you place an order from the website for $35 the shipping is only $0.99...I LOVE it! If you want the link I'll have to dig out the paperwork, but I know its out there...their crylic blocks are cheaper then other sites as well!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-28-2007, 03:33 AM   #123  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by neece
I tried repositionable double-sided scotch tape. I like it a lot. But I found it does have it's drawbacks. Like I noticed when I clean the stamp after stamping once. If the tape gets a little wet (which it almost always does) it loses its stickiness and has to be replaced, which can get a little expensive @ 5 bucks a roll.
I think some people put the double stick carpet tape (wider and cheaper) on the acrylic blocks instead of the rubber. That way you don't have to worry about getting the tape wet when you are washing the rubber. There's also that product called Tack 'N Peel.

What happens to the repositionable glue when you wash the rubber? Does that come off too? (I've always wondered about this.)

Kimberly

PS. Cross your fingers for MN, we're in a winter storm warning with predictions of 6-10 inches of snow for TODAY. Yuck. And part two of the storm is supposed to dump 6-10 more inches on Friday.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:39 AM   #124  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaabyeDK
I have a lot of stamps from Stampers Anonymous, Hero Arts, Penny Black etc. - do you only unmount your SU stamps or do you do ALL your stamps???
I still have a lot of my individual (not set) stamps to unmount but I do plan to do this. I'll just group them together by category -- which is how I have them stored now in drawers in my stamp cabinet. I may just have a zillion CD cases for each category.. Something like "Snowmen - 1 of 45", "Flowers - 1 of 112"... Just a guess, I haven't actually unmounted the big categories yet. (Like all of my Art Impressions people.)

I haven't regretted doing this yet. Granted, it's only been maybe 6-8 months. Actually, the only thing that irks me is my stamp cleaning pad because I like to swish the stamp while it is still mounted on the acrylic. The pad sort of kicks back some the cleaning stuff on the block. Not a big deal, I just wipe it off with a paper towel. The good news is that the acrylic doesn't stain like a wood block would with this. I've also read that the Stayz On cleaner will mark up an acrylic block. I haven't noticed this yet, but I guess I'll be more careful.

Kimberly
Old 02-28-2007, 05:15 AM   #125  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimberlyinMN
What happens to the repositionable glue when you wash the rubber?
I'm still waking up here, but if you mean repositionable glue on the back of the rubber die, it doesn't get wet when you clean the stamp by rubbing on a damp cloth or other similar way of cleaning ink off the stamp.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2007, 05:41 AM   #126  
Die Cut Diva

If shipping for EZ mount is a problem, you get free shipping when you spend $25 at CHF and they have it at a very good price.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:59 AM   #127  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel
I'm still waking up here, but if you mean repositionable glue on the back of the rubber die, it doesn't get wet when you clean the stamp by rubbing on a damp cloth or other similar way of cleaning ink off the stamp.
Oh... I always seem to get stamp cleaner on the "back" side too. So you just have to use less cleaner. (Oh DRAT! I just got back from the grocery store and I had planned to get more baby wipes for my stamps. But I did get ice cream.)

Kimberly
Old 02-28-2007, 06:07 AM   #128  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimberlyinMN
(Oh DRAT! I just got back from the grocery store and I had planned to get more baby wipes for my stamps. But I did get ice cream.)
Still just on my second cuppa coffee, so I had to think for a second about how on Earth ice cream could be used to clean stamps. Holy Hannah, you're an early bird to already have done errands today!!
Old 02-28-2007, 06:14 AM   #129  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Still just on my second cuppa coffee, so I had to think for a second about how on Earth ice cream could be used to clean stamps. Holy Hannah, you're an early bird to already have done errands today!!
Well.. our snow storm is supposed to get here by noon. So... I thought I'd make a run to the grocery store and the post office well before the snow comes. (This isn't a normal thing for me.) LOL

Kimberly
Old 02-28-2007, 06:55 AM   #130  
Matboard Maniac

I love EZ Mount. Stamp and Go has good prices on it and frequently has great deals on shipping. I've gotten shipping as low as 39 cents! They have a sale today only - 28 cent shipping on an orderof $28 or more. When you figure in the cheap shipping, I've never found EZ Mount cheaper anywhere else.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:10 PM   #131  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi Kimberly - I just keep running into you everywhere these days!! And I too am wondering about ice cream and stamps - understand the baby wipes - but ice cream??

Happy Stamping and Scrapping .. (oh and snow shoveling too!!)

rita
Old 02-28-2007, 07:42 PM   #132  
Pearl-ExPert

A person just has to stock up on the junk food during a storm. In fact, I called a friend of mine this morning to see if she was enjoying her storm day (she's a teacher). She was at the grocery store and had ice cream in her cart! Great minds think alike.

Kimberly
Old 02-28-2007, 07:54 PM   #133  
Crimping Master

Too funny Kimberly. I'm in the Minneapolis area, and stopped off at the local gas station to pick up some snacka, bread and milk. I dont wanna have to go out tomorrow unless I have to.

I noticed that the Aleens on the block cut down on visibility a little bit, but does anyone know about the TAck N Peel? Is it totally clear, or translucent like the Aleens is when it dries.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:05 PM   #134  
Rubber Obsessor

i could eat icecream sitting in snow !! its always time for icecream
Old 02-28-2007, 09:04 PM   #135  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by finers4
i could eat icecream sitting in snow !! its always time for icecream
You are what Anne Shirley would call a kindred spirit!

I hope all the poor Minnesotans can still make cards even though the snow covers the windows and blocks out all the natural light.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:26 PM   #136  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by housefan
If shipping for EZ mount is a problem, you get free shipping when you spend $25 at CHF and they have it at a very good price.
Please link me to the online stores you guys mentioned. I'm always looking for a bargain, especially a shipping discount.

TIA!
Old 03-01-2007, 04:47 PM   #137  
Embossing Fanatic

Wink

are you talking aboout the cornish hen site
Old 03-02-2007, 12:34 PM   #138  
Mad Swapper

I'm totally reorganizing my stamping room...right now it's a total disaster zone.
I need more space and will be stopping at Staples tomorrow or tonight to buy the CD cases.
I have a few sheets of the mounting foam that I bought from sunday international but see some from Cornish Hertigage Farms site.
Are these the sheets I should order:

EZMountFoam

Old 03-02-2007, 02:39 PM   #139  
Polyshrink Goddess

That's it, but if you are wanting to mount very small stamps and alphas you might wait a bit. I read on another site that EZ mount has just come out with a new thin EZ mount for small stamps. From what I read it is available beginning this month. I don't see it showing on the Sunday International site, but from what I read they are the ones who carry it.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:12 PM   #140  
Kookie Creator

I've have quite a few stamps that I mounted on the Halo system (hook and loop). I like it - but several things to be aware of -

1. The adhesive is brutal and scissors have to be cleaned constantly and throughly and acetone has been the best thing I found so far with this adhesive. Once mounted ... well - let's just say you really need to be sure you want to change it to another type of mounting system.

2. the loop has a tendency to "shed" after trimming and they can get mixed up in the craft inks ... it can be a pain to get out.
I usually tried to tap them against something or I take a lint roller and go over the loop section to pull out the loose threads.

3. Probably not a good idea to use this system with the large background stamps because I have yet to find an acrylic block big enough for them ... I guess I could have one custom made - but the "hook" strip sits into a groove cut into the block. so I just used double sided sticky tape for them.

Right now - I don't have a very good storage system and trhey all sit in a big box I have that's a pain to sort through and use. (I think I'm going to check out those CD cases) so I've been reluctant to re-mount my SU! stamps.

Besides - my little Del Rio Dump is starting to look way cluttered (not condusive (sp?) to good stamping time) so I could sure use the extra space that I would get if I changed over!
“Don’t ever forget that you’re a citizen of this world, and there are things you can do to lift the human spirit, things that are easy, things that are free, things that you can do every day: civility, respect, kindness, character.” ~ Aaron Sorkin

My Gallery
My Blog

Admin for The Outlaws Challenges
Featured Stamper FS739 April 4, 21

Old 03-02-2007, 05:14 PM   #141  
Kookie Creator

I forgot to ask!!!

Those of you who use the clingy type mounts ... how long before it's no longer clingy? How do you clean it so it stays clingy / sticky?
“Don’t ever forget that you’re a citizen of this world, and there are things you can do to lift the human spirit, things that are easy, things that are free, things that you can do every day: civility, respect, kindness, character.” ~ Aaron Sorkin

My Gallery
My Blog

Old 03-02-2007, 05:23 PM   #142  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cara Denise
I forgot to ask!!!

Those of you who use the clingy type mounts ... how long before it's no longer clingy? How do you clean it so it stays clingy / sticky?
I never have problems with my EZ Mount stamps, but I never touch the clingy part too much -- they go from the clean CD case to my clean acrylic block without me touching the back. Clear stamps just need to be washed with dishsoap and water and rinsed to restore cling; I don't knwo how long it takes to lose the cling because all of my clear stamps, including the MSE set I bought 8 years ago and use often, stick just as well now as they did when I bought them. I don't eat and craft, and always wash my hands before sitting down to stamp or scrap, so ymmv if you have different habits.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:41 PM   #143  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

I never have problems with my EZ Mount stamps, but I never touch the clingy part too much -- they go from the clean CD case to my clean acrylic block without me touching the back. Clear stamps just need to be washed with dishsoap and water and rinsed to restore cling; I don't knwo how long it takes to lose the cling because all of my clear stamps, including the MSE set I bought 8 years ago and use often, stick just as well now as they did when I bought them. I don't eat and craft, and always wash my hands before sitting down to stamp or scrap, so ymmv if you have different habits.
THanks - that's good to know ... the thought of investing in stamps and a mounting system - then having that mounting system fail is a tad uncomfortable to contemplate.

My Gallery
My Blog

Old 03-02-2007, 06:50 PM   #144  
Inking Addict

Okay here I go....I want to try unmounted so I have a SU set that is not yet mounted to the wood blocks. So I have this set, Alieens TIOAO, CD case, acrylic block, and a scared heart.

Here is what I think I am suppose to do:

Trim the stamp image
adhere the label to the sticky side of the grey foam ( I think I need an index)
apply a thin even coat of the Alieens TIOAO ( let dry)

I can now store in the CD case and use on the clear acrylic

Am I close???????
Thanks for all of your help
Old 03-02-2007, 07:10 PM   #145  
Gallery Gazer

You are well on your way!!! One important step after the Alene's TIO&O has dried is to stick and unstick it to your clothes (jeans, sweatshirt, etc) or the back of your hand a few times to reduce the tack a little. Some folks have actually had the temporary bond from dried TIO&O become permanent once the stamp sits on a surface for a while, and I think the sticking and unsticking thing helps very much in reducing that problem.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:56 PM   #146  
Polyshrink Goddess

Someone posted that you could dilute Ailene's half and half with equal parts water and put in a spray bottle. I tried it and it works wonderfully. Plus it is less messy. Just be sure to have your work surface protected so it doesn't get sticky. It also makes it not so tacky that it sticks too much, just the right amount of stick and if it loses its stickiness just spritz and let dry and you are good to go again.

Oh, and I would also suggest giving your spray bottle a shake befoe spritzing to be sure it hasn't seperated.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:15 PM   #147  
Cardstock Collector

Default Help on creating a stamp archive - Unmounted

I, too, have taken the plunge and went unmounted -- most of mine are on the EZ Mount sheets. Most of them are in CD cases -- I'd actually purchased some of their divider storage sheets but after reading this thread, I've decided against storing them this way and they are back in the CD jewels --

So now, can I get someone's great input as to how you have created a stamp archive so that you can have a binder or something to show all the stamps you have? Do you do them by set name... are they by category... Do you label each of your CD jewel cases with 1, 2, 3, 4 and then stamp the stamps on a page labeled with a number 1 so that you always have them in a place you can find them rather than search for them by name?

I hate to recreate the wheel and am sure with some of you having tons more stamps than I do will have a great way to help me stay organized AS my collection grows.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:18 PM   #148  
Pearl-ExPert

This is what finally made me decide to convert my sets to unmounted. I was running out of space and would need to throw money at additional storage, either cabinet or bookshelf. This set (Roughing It) is large, 17 stamps; the original container is 9x 6.5 x 1.25 inches. The cd case is 5 1/2 4 3/4 x 3/8 inches. Amazing, without the blocks, you can get the stamps close together.

~ Kathy
Attached Thumbnails
So I took the plunge and went unmounted...-roughing-mtd-vs-unmtd.jpg  

Old 03-06-2007, 10:57 AM   #149  
Crimping Master

OK, ladies, I have read the thread beginning to end. I am still nervous. Has anyone ever regretted doing this? I am still so tempted...
Old 03-06-2007, 11:03 AM   #150  
Pearl-ExPert

No regrets for me. I just wish all of my individual stamps were already done. I have hundreds of those left.

Actually, the only regret that I have is that I didn't do this sooner... or even when I bought my first stamp set... so I could have indexed the cling side. LOL

Kimberly
Old 03-06-2007, 11:05 AM   #151  
Stampin' Fool

I am with Kimberyly, the only thing I wish I had done when I went unmounted is stamp the cling, other than that I wouldn't change a thing. Love the unmounted for a multitude of reasons.

My Gallery
Old 03-06-2007, 11:21 AM   #152  
Crimping Master

OK, I am getting more tempted. I just balk at the amount of time I think it will take. However, I only have about 30 sets so maybe it won't be that bad...right?
Old 03-07-2007, 07:46 PM   #153  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by crafty1021
OK, I am getting more tempted. I just balk at the amount of time I think it will take. However, I only have about 30 sets so maybe it won't be that bad...right?
I have been unmounting the stamps that I use the most or the ones that I know I will never part with. That has given me a good jumping off point and I just do a few a week so I am taking my time.
I have to say that I am very glad I have done it but I am not attached to wood
Old 03-07-2007, 08:31 PM   #154  
Die Cut Diva

I saw a good picture of unmounted storage several pages into this new blog I have been following. It shows how unmounted stamps can be organized.

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/rubyslippers74
Old 03-08-2007, 07:24 AM   #155  
Matboard Maniac

To keep track of which stamps are in which CDs, or other storage device, as you stamp the images for the covers of the CDs also stamp an image on a sheet of 8 1/2" x 11" paper. The sheet of paper should be labeled on top with the same name as the CD title. Three hole punch the paper and put it into a binder. Label the binder stamps or whatever you wish. Then all you need to do to find a stamp is go through the binder. After that just pull the CD needed and always put the stamp back into the proper CD for the next time. If you don't stamp an image for the CDs, then just stamp the image for your binder. This works for me.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:30 AM   #156  
Die Cut Diva

With SU sets, just use the stickers that came with the set and attach those to the case!
Old 03-08-2007, 11:54 AM   #157  
Pearl-ExPert

I used a Dymo label maker to put the set names on the spine of the cd. Used a larger font than the SU label and white tape with black ink so it shows up clearly.

I think Kath's idea is great for individual non-SU stamps. Could organize the stamps in a cd by theme, i.e. flowers, Christmas, etc.

I started by transferring all the stamps to EZ mount. Then to speed things up a bit, I just peeled the rubber and foam off the blocks (heat in microwave about 20 seconds) and stuck those in the cd cases. I found there is enough tackiness left on the foam to stick to the acrylic but not so much that you can't easily peel it off. As those lose stickiness, I will transfer them to EZ mount.

I'm not unmounting my background stamps, but I don't store them in the plastic SU cases.

~ Kathy

Old 03-08-2007, 01:20 PM   #158  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinOma
That's it, but if you are wanting to mount very small stamps and alphas you might wait a bit. I read on another site that EZ mount has just come out with a new thin EZ mount for small stamps. From what I read it is available beginning this month. I don't see it showing on the Sunday International site, but from what I read they are the ones who carry it.
Awesome info! Can't wait to try it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by crafty1021
OK, ladies, I have read the thread beginning to end. I am still nervous. Has anyone ever regretted doing this? I am still so tempted...
I was really worried, too, at first. But the more I used them unmounted, the better I liked it. I do think it's a matter of preference, though. Some people just like their stamps permanently mounted on wood. KWIM?
Old 03-08-2007, 08:12 PM   #159  
Die Cut Diva

I cannot imagine regretting it. I only regret not doing it much sooner!