Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-05-2006, 07:12 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do acrylic paints ruin stamps

I am doing a craft project at a baby shower. I was going to stamp with craft in on some onesies and burp clothes. The problem is I read here that the craft ink fads when you wash it. I am thinking about getting some acrylic paint or fabric paint and using my stamps. However, I am worried my stamps will get ruined. Should I just go buy some cheap stamps to use for this project and throw them away or should I let others use my stamps with acrylic or fabric paints? Opinions?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 07:18 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

I've used the MM foam stamps with acrylic paint and never have had a problem. If it's a solid stamp that you clean before the paint dries on it I would say go for it. But if I would hesitate to use a stamp with lots of detail just because I would be worried about paint getting deep into the crevices and drying before I had a chance to clean it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 07:36 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Acrylic paints will crack on the fabric surface as they are not a very "flexible" medium; I'd hesitate to use it on something for babies . . . but, you might try adding textile medium to "soften" the paint?

As for the Craft Inks fading, this may have occurred to a project that wasn't pre-washed to remove the sizing, exposed to fabric softener in the wash, etc. OR, it wasn't heat set after the ink had dried? That is often the culprit . . . some fabrics also accept inks better than others. Usually all natural fibers accept it best, but you also have to bear in mind the bulk of the weave.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2006, 11:33 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

I have stamped a TON on walls and on fabrics. Here's what I've learned:

If you are going to stamp on walls, acrylic paints are the way to go. It's super easy and cheap and easy to paint over when you tire of the design or move. Plus, you still have stamps to play with, whereas wallpaper is gone once it's used.

OK, now for fabrics. If you are going to paint or stamp on fabrics, you need to mix the acrylic paint with a textile medium. It basically changes the acrylic paint into a paint suitable for use on fabrics. I have never had a problem with the paint cracking later on. I'm attaching a photo of a quilt I did for an auction. I wanted it to look like the kids had been walking on sand. The paint, when mixed with a textile medium becomes very flexible and thinner and seems to almost become part of the fabric.
Attached Thumbnails
Do acrylic paints ruin stamps-footprint-quilt-closeup-4-.jpg  

www.pinkhedgehogpapercrafts.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2006, 06:26 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Not all acrylic paint is created equal! Some needs a textile medium, some not. I can't remember the brand name now, but a friend of mine found an acrylic paint with the medium already in it. So, read the bottle and see what surfaces it can be applied to. My friend's paint stated fabric in the list of surfaces. If it isn't listed, add the medium.

Annette
http://stamponthis.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2006, 07:36 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaperRapt
I can't remember the brand name now, but a friend of mine found an acrylic paint with the medium already in it.
Hey, Annette! If you ever recall the name of this paint, I'd love to know!

TFS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2006, 08:23 AM   #7  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Just a note about using the actual fabric paint that comes in the little tubes. That stuff WILL ruin your stamps, especially images with fine lines if you don't IMMEDIATELY clean it (and NOT on your stampin scrub). Once it dries it simply will not come off. Wonder how I know????

On the other hand I have used fabric medium with standard acrylic paint and had no problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2006, 11:58 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
Hey, Annette! If you ever recall the name of this paint, I'd love to know!

TFS!
My friend just e-mailed me back. The brand name was Americana. She heat set the t-shirts by putting them in the dryer with a damp towel. She says they've been through the wash 4 times now and still look fabulous.

Annette
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2006, 12:51 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
Hey, Annette! If you ever recall the name of this paint, I'd love to know! TFS!

Ceramcoat by Delta (like Americana)... sold at Michael's and many Arts & Crafts Stores... works very well on fabric... the painting on a child's T-shirt often outlasts the fabric LOL

Just checked and it does include fabric in the list of uses

Have a FUNtastic day!

Dancing Rain

Proud to be a Stampin' Up! Demo... and a "Rubber Mutt"

~*~
Click here to Visit My Gallery
HeartPrints Welcome
A

Avatar: Photo taken Dec. 2006 at Wildlife Safari - Winston, OR
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2006, 03:52 PM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a Tshirt that I stamped with acrylic paint (Lumiere) and it washed beautifully. I also have a denin shirt that was stamped with inexpensive acrylic paint and it washed well, also.
I never added any textile medium but might consider it if making something for a baby so it would be softer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2006, 04:05 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I learned this when my SIL and I stamped flour sack towels for holiday gifts. Dont' even bother with the craft inks.
Acrylic all the way!! and definately clean them ASAP!

Thanks for that info on the brands!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2006, 05:35 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've wondered about using STaz -on because it's supposed to be a 'sharpie' in a stamp pad right? I let my Daisy girl scouts use sharpies to outline their hands in the corners of a napkin from Orient#l Trad#@# -- they felt like they had alot of polyester in them & they then decorated their fingers & wrote their names. We heat set ours in the dryer when we got home & my daughter's looks great! I haven't tried it on anything else but I've never gotten Sharpie out of their clothes so I thought it'd work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2006, 05:42 PM   #13  
Glitter Queen

All I can say is back in my TOLE PAINTING DAYS I used primarily Ceramcoat by Delta. It (in my humble opinion) the best of the acrylic paints on the market. It has a great consistency!

Should you need a highlight and shade to go with a particular color let me know. I still have my book of highlights and shades.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2006, 05:43 PM   #14  
Glitter Queen

Oops that above post was NOT by Jenny Skorupa, but by her silly sister, Arlene Bridges, who forgot to log sis out when I got online after her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2006, 07:27 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cathy H
I have a Tshirt that I stamped with acrylic paint (Lumiere) and it washed beautifully. I also have a denin shirt that was stamped with inexpensive acrylic paint and it washed well, also.
I never added any textile medium but might consider it if making something for a baby so it would be softer
You simply CANNOT get much softer than Lumiere. It is a fabric paint, and it leaves the fabric with a wonderful "hand." I've used it on silk and you can't even feel the paint on it...it drapes and feels like unpainted silk. My favorite substance next to peanut butter, can ya tell, lol??? I have things I made YEARS ago that still look like new.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2006, 08:49 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by DancingRain
Ceramcoat by Delta (like Americana)... sold at Michael's and many Arts & Crafts Stores... works very well on fabric... the painting on a child's T-shirt often outlasts the fabric LOL

Just checked and it does include fabric in the list of uses

Have a FUNtastic day!

Dancing Rain
I have used Ceramcoat, in fact it's my main brand of acrylic paints. I highly suggest the use of a textile medium or the paint will crack over time. Textile medium is not expensive and you mix it something like 1:1 (directions are on the bottle). I purchased the tiniest Rubbermaid-style containers (had to be air tight) from the grocery store to mix mine in because I was having kids paint their artwork, using it for the footprint quilt posted above, and also stamping on various things, so I needed a quantity and didn't want to have to stop and mix.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2006, 08:54 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

I LOVE IT. so cute

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkhedgehog
I have stamped a TON on walls and on fabrics. Here's what I've learned:

If you are going to stamp on walls, acrylic paints are the way to go. It's super easy and cheap and easy to paint over when you tire of the design or move. Plus, you still have stamps to play with, whereas wallpaper is gone once it's used.

OK, now for fabrics. If you are going to paint or stamp on fabrics, you need to mix the acrylic paint with a textile medium. It basically changes the acrylic paint into a paint suitable for use on fabrics. I have never had a problem with the paint cracking later on. I'm attaching a photo of a quilt I did for an auction. I wanted it to look like the kids had been walking on sand. The paint, when mixed with a textile medium becomes very flexible and thinner and seems to almost become part of the fabric.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2006, 08:54 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampinstahl
I've wondered about using STaz -on because it's supposed to be a 'sharpie' in a stamp pad right? I let my Daisy girl scouts use sharpies to outline their hands in the corners of a napkin from Orient#l Trad#@# -- they felt like they had alot of polyester in them & they then decorated their fingers & wrote their names. We heat set ours in the dryer when we got home & my daughter's looks great! I haven't tried it on anything else but I've never gotten Sharpie out of their clothes so I thought it'd work.
Sharpie is impossible to get out of clothes if you're a Mom with a kid who drew on something you didn't want them to draw on. However, Sharpies seem to be magic, because my kids always take a Sharpie to Cub Scout Day Camp to sign each others' shirts and magically a year later, after many washes, the sharpie is faded and hardly readable.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2006, 08:56 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Have to agree I haven't done any fabric painting with it but I have seen others and wow its awesome. Just clean you stamp right away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ
You simply CANNOT get much softer than Lumiere. It is a fabric paint, and it leaves the fabric with a wonderful "hand." I've used it on silk and you can't even feel the paint on it...it drapes and feels like unpainted silk. My favorite substance next to peanut butter, can ya tell, lol??? I have things I made YEARS ago that still look like new.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2006, 08:56 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampmouse
I LOVE IT. so cute
Thanks!! It sold at the auction for over $300!! I made 4 quilts and all together they sold for almost $2,000. Yahoo for the new playground for the kids.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2006, 05:42 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by georgia268
I am doing a craft project at a baby shower. I was going to stamp with craft in on some onesies and burp clothes. The problem is I read here that the craft ink fads when you wash it. I am thinking about getting some acrylic paint or fabric paint and using my stamps. However, I am worried my stamps will get ruined. Should I just go buy some cheap stamps to use for this project and throw them away or should I let others use my stamps with acrylic or fabric paints? Opinions?

I have used craft pads on Hanes Tshirts to make shirts for my DD and washed and dried with no problem. After I stamped it with the craft pad I heat set it with my heat gun. I would vote for the craft pads for the fabric since the stamps can be cleaned so well.

Especially for babies since they usually wash their clothes in Dreft baby detergent and on gentle cycle (at least I did anyway) I wouldn't worry about the craft ink fading.

If you are worried about your stamps then get some of those 99 cent or less foam stamps in the craft dept and use the paint (make sure you use the fabric medium though).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2006, 06:08 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys!!! The question was ... will it hurt the stamps?!!!! And while we're at it, that versamark, that can get your stamps AND scrubber pretty gunky -- any tips on that? I love all your collective wisdom, thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2006, 06:16 AM   #23  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55
You guys!!! The question was ... will it hurt the stamps?!!!! And while we're at it, that versamark, that can get your stamps AND scrubber pretty gunky -- any tips on that? I love all your collective wisdom, thanks in advance.
Too funny. Acrylic paint will not hurt your stamps, it is just difficult to remove if you let it get too dry. Finer images are a challenge, keep a tooth brush handy for scrubbing. Rubber is tough! I remember the first time I did bleach stamping that the stamp would disintegrate before my eyes! Those stamps are in still great shape too. Versamark, on the other hand, can begin to eat away the rubber if left on and not cleaned off. Way back when there was a rumour about it "conditioned" stamps. Several gals here on SCS stated the rubber got eaten up after several years.

HTH
Annette
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2006, 06:20 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I agree. Nope it doesn't hurt stamps. I worked my way around several rooms stamping borders, or even in one room, the border and lower 1/2 of the wall. When I got to the end the paint was quite gunked up around the edges of the image and scrubbed off just fine with a toothbrush.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2006, 08:00 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Oh yeah, the original question, LOL!!

I have read somewhere that if you use the acrylic stamps on your rubber that you want to wash them off really really well afterward. That it won't hurt them unless you leave them on and don't wash off.

I got DD Daisy to do my daughter's wall (oops, never did do that did I) but someone told me that if I wanted to avoid getting the wood all messy to do the project unmounted and then when the project was done to mount it on my wood. That way I could thoroughly clean my rubber without having to worry about getting the wood all wet and painted up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2006, 08:10 AM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigfingers
Oh yeah, the original question, LOL!!

I have read somewhere that if you use the acrylic stamps on your rubber that you want to wash them off really really well afterward. That it won't hurt them unless you leave them on and don't wash off.

I got DD Daisy to do my daughter's wall (oops, never did do that did I) but someone told me that if I wanted to avoid getting the wood all messy to do the project unmounted and then when the project was done to mount it on my wood. That way I could thoroughly clean my rubber without having to worry about getting the wood all wet and painted up.
Mine that I have used don't have paint on the wood, but the wood is stained. I've given up on virgin wood anyway because so many people use my stamps and I use them for so much stuff. At least they look loved and it doesn't affect their stampability. Dried/semidried acrylic paint, in my experience will wash off of the rubber just fine. I still wash up as soon as I'm finished with a project, though. I don't want to risk it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2006, 06:21 AM   #27  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbirus
Just a note about using the actual fabric paint that comes in the little tubes. That stuff WILL ruin your stamps, especially images with fine lines if you don't IMMEDIATELY clean it (and NOT on your stampin scrub). Once it dries it simply will not come off. Wonder how I know????
I used these on the SCS shirt in my gallery. I had no problem, but I did wash all my stamps immediately.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2006, 10:56 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

If you want to get the Versamark and/or black (stazon or otherwise) ink off your stamps, I recommend a product Citristrip Wipe-Away. Got it at Walmart and it takes the gunk off my stamps that have been gunked up for years!
Reply With Quote Likes