Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wood Mounted SU sets...How do you store them?

I have yet to brave unmounting my SU sets. So, I was wondering for those of you who are like me in that respect do you keep them in those clam shell boxes or do you organize them in drawers or wherever by category. Those clam shells take up to much space and I would like to be rid of them. Just wondering if I would regret it. :rolleyes:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2010, 12:21 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

My wood mounted stamps are stored in the clamshell boxes in alphabetical order on three shelves. My retired sets are stored separately on two shelves to keep and in four banker boxes to sell. I think sorting them by category would be hard to find when/if you do a workshop or class where you're going to try to sell the set.

I have been purchasing the clear mount stamps from SU since they were introduced. I have also unmounted any new stamps that were supposed to be wood mounted. I don't think I'll go through my retired sets and unmount them. Perhaps after the retired list comes out.

I like the clear mounted, the wood is just easier to use.

Good luck with your decision.
Stasia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2010, 12:48 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by stasiatoddView Post
My wood mounted stamps are stored in the clamshell boxes in alphabetical order on three shelves. My retired sets are stored separately on two shelves to keep and in four banker boxes to sell. I think sorting them by category would be hard to find when/if you do a workshop or class where you're going to try to sell the set.

I have been purchasing the clear mount stamps from SU since they were introduced. I have also unmounted any new stamps that were supposed to be wood mounted. I don't think I'll go through my retired sets and unmount them. Perhaps after the retired list comes out.

I like the clear mounted, the wood is just easier to use.

Good luck with your decision.
Stasia
Thanks for your input Stasia. I guess if you are doing workshops and classes then it would matter and be helpful to keep them together. However, most of what I own now is retired and I'm not a demo anymore. Why oh why couldn't they have thought of unmounted years ago. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2010, 01:15 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Mine are in the clam shells. I LOVE my wood mounted sets. I have about 80 sets on a small shelf. I have them indexed in a binder and numbered. My sets take up hardly any room! They are stacked on three shelves.

I'm now buying clear mounts and love them. I will NEVER unmount my wood mounts. I have unmounted parts of two-set stamps to get better placement. I only unmount the second step...it's great.

I'd always advise anyone to keep them in the clamshells. I took my first few sets out of them and regreted it.

Last edited by Allistamps123; 04-28-2010 at 01:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
Mine are in the clam shells. I LOVE my wood mounted sets. I have about 80 sets on a small shelf. I have them indexed in a binder and numbered. My sets take up hardly any room! They are stacked on three shelves.

I'm now buying clear mounts and love them. I will NEVER unmount my wood mounts. I have unmounted parts of two-set stamps to get better placement. I only unmount the second step...it's great.

I'd always advise anyone to keep them in the clamshells. I took my first few sets out of them and regreted it.
Thanks for chiming in on this!;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2010, 10:54 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Mine are all in their clamshells. I'm AR enough to not break them up. I found DVD shelf that's probably 5' high and close to 4' wide on CL that is the perfect size to store them on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2010, 02:03 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I used to store mine on shelves by just stacking them up in the clamshells, but switched to putting them into decorative boxes (JoAnns) by category: (Floral/Nature; Animals; Food - yes, I have enough sets that are basically just food stamps; Masculine; Holidays; Baby/Birthdays; Letters/Words; Various/Assorted - those sets that have just a little bit of everything, and so far it's worked out well.

I stamped each set (or made copies of the sticker sheet before assembling the sets) and then put those in a binder by the same category headings. I like how now when I look at the shelves, it's pretty and more inspiring to me than just a bunch of stacked clamshell boxes. I also put little matching letter tabs on the hanging ribbon outside each box so I know what's category is in each box.

I'll see if I can attach a pic so you can see what I'm talking about (although, it's a bit messy right now...)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2010, 02:23 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoJoView Post
I used to store mine on shelves by just stacking them up in the clamshells, but switched to putting them into decorative boxes (JoAnns) by category: (Floral/Nature; Animals; Food - yes, I have enough sets that are basically just food stamps; Masculine; Holidays; Baby/Birthdays; Letters/Words; Various/Assorted - those sets that have just a little bit of everything, and so far it's worked out well.

I stamped each set (or made copies of the sticker sheet before assembling the sets) and then put those in a binder by the same category headings. I like how now when I look at the shelves, it's pretty and more inspiring to me than just a bunch of stacked clamshell boxes. I also put little matching letter tabs on the hanging ribbon outside each box so I know what's category is in each box.

I'll see if I can attach a pic so you can see what I'm talking about (although, it's a bit messy right now...)
This is exactly what I want to do!!! Mine are currently in drawers that are not very deep and I just know that I would use them more if I could get them out of those clam shells and actually see what I have by category. I mean, who say's that just because you purchased the set together means you have to store them together?;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2010, 03:15 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Ok, I finally was able to upload pics:

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

The first pic is just of the shelf itself with the various containers on them. I also used some of those open weave baskets for sets too (I just like the look of them in between the boxes.) The second pic just shows how I "label" each box/basket by using the scallop punch layered with some cardstock and letters that represent the different categories. It's somewhat messy right now - haven't been doing as much crafting as of late, but at least I know where to find the stuff! Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoJoView Post
Ok, I finally was able to upload pics:

The first pic is just of the shelf itself with the various containers on them. I also used some of those open weave baskets for sets too (I just like the look of them in between the boxes.) The second pic just shows how I "label" each box/basket by using the scallop punch layered with some cardstock and letters that represent the different categories. It's somewhat messy right now - haven't been doing as much crafting as of late, but at least I know where to find the stuff! Hope that helps.
Awesome! Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Default I have a

bookshelf and then I have a big closet in my craft room where I keep a dresser. I use the dresser to store stamps and other stamping supplies. I can also just close the door.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 02:29 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell1958View Post
bookshelf and then I have a big closet in my craft room where I keep a dresser. I use the dresser to store stamps and other stamping supplies. I can also just close the door.
I have a dresser in my craft room that i am currently storing mine in. Never thought of a bookshelf.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I keep mine on a bookshelf (ok a couple of shelves actually!) vertically with the titles out, just like books.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2010, 07:10 AM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

I don't necessarily keep my sets together. I definitely don't keep them in the clamshell boxes. Takes up way too much space! I did a long post about various ways I store all of my wood mount stamps. You can see the picture-full post here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2010, 10:48 AM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

HoJo....oh, decorative boxes would be awesome. May consider that some day, when I get rich!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2010, 12:14 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by identicaltripletsView Post
I don't necessarily keep my sets together. I definitely don't keep them in the clamshell boxes. Takes up way too much space! I did a long post about various ways I store all of my wood mount stamps. You can see the picture-full post here.
Thanks for sharing this Patter. This is totally what I had in mind and very similar to what I did a couple of days ago. I was able to get rid of about 26 clam shells. And I only used 3 drawers with still plenty of room to spare.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2010, 02:55 PM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampticianView Post
Thanks for sharing this Patter. This is totally what I had in mind and very similar to what I did a couple of days ago. I was able to get rid of about 26 clam shells. And I only used 3 drawers with still plenty of room to spare.
Yeah! Glad you saved a lot of room and go it organized! Doesn't it feel great?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 09:10 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

I wish that I had the time to devote to unmounting all my sets. I would love it if the unmounting fairy would come some night while I was sleeping and take care of this for me. I have over 800 sets of SU alone...getting more all the time...I just scored more than 50 SU sets at a yard sale over the weekend and more than half of them are new unmounted. Anyway, my book shelves are tall ones with 6 shelves plus the top and they are getting pretty full. I have been loving the new unmounted SU sets. I have a lot of those already. Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2010, 02:09 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I wish that I had the time to devote to unmounting all my sets. I would love it if the unmounting fairy would come some night while I was sleeping and take care of this for me. I have over 800 sets of SU alone...getting more all the time...I just scored more than 50 SU sets at a yard sale over the weekend and more than half of them are new unmounted. Anyway, my book shelves are tall ones with 6 shelves plus the top and they are getting pretty full. I have been loving the new unmounted SU sets. I have a lot of those already. Blessings.
Amber, I don't have that many sets, maybe 200 or so. But when the fairy is done at you place will you send her to mine? I would love to have mine all cling mount to make room for more.

To contrbute to the thread... I have my current sets in a media cabinet that is designed for DVDs or CDs- it has adjustable shelves and is 48" high. It has glass doors which come in handy since I am not fortunate enough to have separate stamping space so I've integrated my stamping furniture with my living room furniture to camoflauge it ;). Retired sets are stored in bins but close enough to dig out if needed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2010, 03:15 PM   #20  
Cardstock Collector

I store all of my wood SU sets on an IKEA Benno Tower. It gets my sets up the wall, so it saves space for other things. I sort them by size of clamshell, as the shelves are adjustable. I have just found that to be easiest. I also store my clear mount in the same shelves. However, the part of my organizational OCD side of me still needed quick reference, so I created small stickers (using labels and a punch) to put on the sides of the clamshells to let me know what was inside it at a quick glance. For example, "S" is for sentiments; "A" is for Angel policy; "J" is for Juvenile, etc. My Christmas sets are away in a box so I can pull them out when the time comes. I will try and attach a photo of this system for you. It's super simple, and it makes all my sets in plain view. As a current demo, I also have retired sets that I just can't get rid of, so they are on the bottom left, for my viewing and loving all by myself! I love the idea of pretty photo boxes or baskets, even a dresser with drawers, but for me, out of sight, means out of mind. Hope that helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Mounted SU sets...How do you store them?-scrapbook-room-001-ed.jpg   Wood Mounted SU sets...How do you store them?-scrapbook-room-003-ed.jpg   Wood Mounted SU sets...How do you store them?-scrapbook-room-004-ed.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2010, 10:08 AM   #21  
Glitter Queen

I recently ditched all of my clamshells. I had to give up my dedicated stamp room for a little corner of the basement. I just couldn't accommodate all the clamshells in the reduced space. So, I bought some cheap, deep shelving and a bunch of large, cheap plastic food storage containers at my local dollar store. Each container is about 15" long and 12" wide and has a lid (keeps the dust bunnies at bay!). I sorted all of my stamps by category (nature, flowers, elements and flourishes, wedding, sports etc.) and put each category into a different container (some categories required 2 containers!) I labeled each container with a label maker. Before I took the stamps out of their clamshells I stamped an index sheet to leave in the clamshell for reference whenever I need the full set. I then nested the clamshells inside of eachother and fit them all into a rubbermaid bin for storage. I will keep them in case I ever want to sell them.
This whole process took a while but it was SO worth it. I find stamps I forgot I had and can see everything I have for any given project. It also makes it easier to know what I need to buy. For example, I was shocked to discover I only have one "Happy Anniversary" stamp! Now I am on the hunt for more!!
I don't regret losing the clamshells at all...it has been freeing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2010, 02:20 PM   #22  

I store my sets by clamshell size, then in reasonable alphabetical order.

I cannot get rid of my clamshells, as that would mean that I might (gasp) mix up my sets, or worse yet, LOSE a stamp.

btw, my best friend calls me Mrs. Monk.
Reply With Quote Likes