Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-03-2019, 06:33 PM   #1  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts
Default A question about blocks with TIOO

So I am finally starting to unmount some of my wood stamps. Now I have to decide on the storage. I am thinking about plastic baggies frankly as I am tired of spending money on organization stuff.

Are regular sandwich baggies ok or I need to use the freezer type thicker ones?

I keep reading people are putting the Tack it over and over (TIOO) on their blocks. How does that work? Do you apply it each time or you can leave it on there? Will it get "fuzzy" with dirt?

Taking four shopping bags of blocks to the trash made me go into a cold sweat. oy. And I have a lot more to go. I am actually kind of happy for the sentiments. With the Misti I should be able to keep them straight way easier.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2019, 09:24 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Good for you! It saves so much room. I put TIOO on the back of my unmounted stamps, not the blocks. I store them on page protectors and in binders. I use these from Office Depot. The stamps stick to the Misti perfectly.

If you want adhesive on the blocks, use Tack n Peel. That way the adhesive is protected.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2019, 09:27 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,063 Likes on 818 Posts

I thought it was Tack n Peel that people used on their blocks, not TIOO?

Like here, http://stores.purpleoniondesigns.com/tack-n-peel/, and she has a link to a video demonstrating it. If that's what you're thinking of, I've always wondered the same thing as you. I have had one of the Sizzix sticky sheets on one of my cutting plates and I can certainly see it getting to the point where it will no longer be sticky. Granted, some of that is debris from cutting, but some is just dust.

I do use TIOO, but on my stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2019, 11:49 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I've done both, used tack n peel on my block and used TIOO on stamps. Also have used ziploc bags for storing my unmounted stamps.

Honestly, I wish I'd seen that video that's posted above because I didn't keep that acrylic sheet and my block did get all blurry from dust and whatever. I'd say whatever you decide to do, it's not necessary to apply the TIOO or the tack n peel all over the block/back of stamp. A little goes a long way IMO. The TIOO I applied I just dabbed a few dots of it and they stick fine on my Misti or block.

I label the bags as to what's inside and store the bags in drawers that are labeled. I sometimes use a ball point pen to write what the stamp is. Thought I'd like the binders but they just got to be heavy and took up too much room in my small craft room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2019, 06:52 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
So I am finally starting to unmount some of my wood stamps. Now I have to decide on the storage. I am thinking about plastic baggies frankly as I am tired of spending money on organization stuff.

Are regular sandwich baggies ok or I need to use the freezer type thicker ones?

I keep reading people are putting the Tack it over and over (TIOO) on their blocks. How does that work? Do you apply it each time or you can leave it on there? Will it get "fuzzy" with dirt?

Taking four shopping bags of blocks to the trash made me go into a cold sweat. oy. And I have a lot more to go. I am actually kind of happy for the sentiments. With the Misti I should be able to keep them straight way easier.
Don't trash the wood blocks, see if a daycare or elementary school could use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2019, 07:48 PM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

The blocks are not clean. Some of them have the index on them directly. If I could I peeled indexes and put them on the back of the stamp as best I could line it up. These days the index on the wood is often not well aligned to the image anyway. And a lot of them have foam on them too.

If I wasnt so swamped I would have offered them here for cost of postage as some people seem to want them.

I got a rude reminder during this process. I forgot that tombow multi dries tacky as I always am attaching two things together. But for the stamps that I could not get the adhesive off-I thought I would "seal" it with the glue. Um NO. Oy.

Oh! I am liking that tack and peel idea! Ok! That makes a lot of sense to me! Thanks!

Why do you have sticky on your cutting plate Sabrina? Is that instead of using washi to hold a die in place?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2019, 11:06 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,063 Likes on 818 Posts

LOL on the tacky Tombow. I was using up a leftover collaged background of various text papers. I made it some time last year for a MIX challenge. It was still tacky in places, so I just tipped some glitter on and burnished it wherever it stuck.

The sticky sheet on the plate, I don't use it all the time. But when alignment matters, it's very helpful because you can line things up on the grid. And for my NOEL eclipse card samples on Monday, it helped with reproducibility. Even with the MUM card, it helped make sure it's got the second M lined up evenly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2019, 03:36 PM   #8  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

First, I only skimmed this thread and didn't watch the video so if this is off-topic, I apologize.

When I need to use a "bare naked" rubber stamp (storage of which is currently a mess but it's on the long to-do list), I use double-sided tape and, when done, I cover it with a piece of ordinary wax paper trimmed to the size of the block. I haven't had any issues so far, and the blocks are also just a jumbled mess. I think jumbled mess is my organizing style LOL.

Hope this helps, even if it is a short-term solution.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2019, 06:58 PM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

No you're good TeeGeeDee.
That sounds like another option! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2019, 08:36 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is TIOO?

I have no idea what this is. Please educate me. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2019, 09:43 AM   #11  
Glitter Queen

I unmounted my stamps a long time ago and will not buy a mounted stamp even if I like it. If I could get the sticky cushion off I felt lucky and in one case I ripped a stamp in two trying to unmount it. At that time I put Tack and Peel on my stamp positioner and left it but over time that was not productive because it got less and less sticky. So now if I use it I put the yellow part back on the tape after use. But frankly, I don't want really sticky anything. I have used double sided tape with success and it's cheaper and doesn't leave residue that can't be easily cleaned off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2019, 10:47 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Storage uncounted stamps

I unmounted mine a long time ago. I am frugal (cheap) i?I stores mine in CD cases without the center that hooleds1aA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2019, 10:50 AM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

This is really helpful information because I have not yet begun the process of removing the blocks, but plan to soon. Please inform what is MISTI??

Also, I hate to see all those blocks going into the trash as I think they could be recycled. Mine will go into my shop or I will re-use them in some craft. If not me, someone could re-use them, I'm sure. Please consider recycling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2019, 11:24 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Marshaspeck50;21854192]I unmounted mine a long time ago. I am frugal (cheap) I store mine in CD cases without the center. I used tacky glue. When it doesn't stick any more you can reapply. I then assign a number to each set. I type a spine for the case with the name of the set, and number. Then I make an index
card for the front with a picture of what is in it

I then created a spread sheet. First column number on the set, next name of set how many stamps note of missing ones, next a simple list, flower, scarecrow etc
stamp company. I have over 400 sets. So doing this made it easy to locate what I needed. I put an index page and the spread sheet.into a notebook. The odd stamps that I have to into a cases and lable it misc.
​​​​​

They stosily in a CD rack.

Last edited by Marshaspeck50; 08-13-2019 at 11:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2019, 11:53 AM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

The Tack n Peel works better for me than the Tack It Over and Over glue. I bought a Tim acrylic block set on sale and have Tack n Peeled it. I keep them in a Freezer Ziplock just for unmounted rubber. I keep the majority of my stamps in CD cases and have even Tack n Peeled a few on the inside and store some of my unmounteds that way. But I also have ziplocs with the stamp names written on back in Sharpie. I never had good luck with the Tacky Glue. Always left residue on my regular blocks and storage cases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2019, 12:18 PM   #16  
Glitter Queen

When you unmount the stamp it leaves a very sticky residue on the wood part and sometimes all or part of the cushion. So they aren't useful unless someone who gets them is dedicated to stripping them. But I didn't trash mine. I had to put wax paper on each one because of the sticky. I gave some to Goodwill but then switched to the recycle bin.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2019, 12:50 PM   #17  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please do not put the used wood blocks in the trash. Two alternatives: place in your recycle bin - wood is recyclable. Or donate to Good Will or Salvation Army. Crafty wood workers have found all kinds of uses for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2019, 02:04 PM   #18  
Glitter Queen

Thank you all for the helpful information on using naked rubber. I just moved a week ago and, in order to be able to keep my stamps, I had to remove them from their blocks because my new place is a quarter the size of my house. I wasn't sure how I would be able to use them but knew there was a way. Now I have ideas and I'm very grateful for everyone's input.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2019, 02:09 PM   #19  
Glitter Queen

Maybe I missed the responses to two questions someone asked, so excuse me if I'm duplicating information. TIOO stands for Tack It Over and Over. It is a product you can buy. And a MISTI is a stamp positioning tool which allows you to place your images, etc. exactly where you want them, time after time. There are demos online.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2019, 02:48 PM   #20  
Glitter Queen

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can find or know of a daycare, sr center, preschool, nursery room at church, etc., please consider donating the blocks. They make very nice "bases" for memory card games, where the participants turn them over to try to make matches of such pictures as pairs from decks of cards, stickers, etc. Kindergarten and lower age classrooms might also enjoy them.

They are also light-weight building blocks and can be wiped off easily...

Last edited by craftiema; 08-13-2019 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: added more
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2019, 03:11 PM   #21  
Glitter Queen

Although a difficult thought...Are stamp manufacturers acting responsibly by continuing to offer wood mounted stamps. It seems like a needless use of precious resources.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2019, 05:13 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Tack N Peel can be cleaned. The process used is just like washing a clear stamp. You can use a drop of hand dish-washing soap and some water and even do a little light scrubbing. You then just allow it to air dry without the protective cover sheet. The cleaning process will make the Tack N Peel tacky again, as well as cleaning off light dust. Ink stains have remained for me. I think there might be instructions on the packaging but I don't have a package handy to check to be sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2019, 05:21 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

LindaOKC...I discovered that most of the wood blocks are produced from "off-fall" wood that cannot be used for anything due to its size....it really is using all the resources .

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2019, 07:22 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

I have not and will not be un-mounting my rubber stamps. I like the feel of the wood block in my hand and to have the stamp ready to go at a moment's notice without trying to figure out which side is up. I'm very careful about lining up the index on the block with the rubber so I can use that as the guide. I know it takes up more space, but I can store my two deep in clam shell boxes in the drawers I have and see what's there at a glance. That is more important to me than having more space for more stamps I probably won't use. If I want additional stamps that wont fit in my storage, then something must go, or I don't get the additions. Any unmounted rubber stamps I may buy all go on those blocks everyone gives me as they unmount. I don't like plastic stamps (talk about resources) and don't own a Misti. I know I may be a loner in this, but it just isn't for me to have to use a stamp positioner all the time. I do have a wooden stamp positioner for those occasions when I need precision, or need to restamp something, but that's certainly not every time as the index alignment makes "eyeballing" easy and quite accurate, I don't have to do any thing with my stamp and it is small enough to fit in the pencil drawer of my worktable. Just my opinion and I'm glad I have opted for this way when I hear of all the woes of un-mounting: the time, new storage problems, loosing small stamps, having to identify stamps, adhesive problems, etc. that would just cut down on the time I have and the enjoyment of this marvelous hobby. Anyone out there like me?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2019, 07:45 AM   #25  
Kookie Creator

I like acrylic and polymer stamps the best because I can see through them to position them. I do have a Tim Holtz Stamp Platform that I really like and I use that for unmounted rubber stamps if I need to. When I first get a rubber stamp set or single stamp, I put the stamp's label on the foam backing so I can see what the stamp is. Then I put a bit of tape from my tape runner on the label so it adheres to the clear acrylic block. They sometimes adhere without some help, but not often. I leave the bit of tape on the stamp for next time. If it get's dirty, which it doesn't often, then I can just rub it off and apply a new bit.

Thanks for everyone's input so far, what a great resource and inspiration y'all are
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2019, 08:10 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmcgView Post
I like acrylic and polymer stamps the best because I can see through them to position them. I do have a Tim Holtz Stamp Platform that I really like and I use that for unmounted rubber stamps if I need to. When I first get a rubber stamp set or single stamp, I put the stamp's label on the foam backing so I can see what the stamp is. Then I put a bit of tape from my tape runner on the label so it adheres to the clear acrylic block. They sometimes adhere without some help, but not often. I leave the bit of tape on the stamp for next time. If it get's dirty, which it doesn't often, then I can just rub it off and apply a new bit.

Thanks for everyone's input so far, what a great resource and inspiration y'all are

Sounds like a great solution.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2019, 12:35 PM   #27  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post

I got a rude reminder during this process. I forgot that tombow multi dries tacky as I always am attaching two things together. But for the stamps that I could not get the adhesive off-I thought I would "seal" it with the glue. Um NO. Oy.

Quick fix for tacky adhesive: Get your emboss buddy <the one you use before you stamp with versa mark and rub all over the page> and rub it over any exposed sticky adhesive. The fine particles of clay or talc will adhere to the stick, and make the stick go away. It's a wonder to behold

Of course, it's not a great fix on a card - unless its a small area, but for things like this? It's great!

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2019, 08:45 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

I use TIOO, BUT thinned down and brush very lightly on my stamps....key word is "lightly"! Then store in CD/DVD cases. Works amazingly well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2019, 08:52 AM   #29  
Cardstock Collector

I made beds and chairs for my granddaughter's dollhouse out of the wood blocks from which I removed stamps. I glued them and painted them and she loves them. Of course, she's two, but... Just a suggestion for what to do with the left over wood blocks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2019, 07:05 AM   #30  
Proud Fan Club Member

Let me first clarify-by trash I meant paper recycling bins. so not into landfills.

Thank you on the sticky joniworx. Duh! HELLO to me! YES! The embossing buddy would do that! I use that when I mount on cling myself for any edges. Oh brother. :rolleyes::oops:

I like both. Wood is what I started with and collected a lot of before finding out you could just get cling and the world of clear. I have a sentimental attachment. (and just cant bring myself to unmount PSX and couple other discontinueds) On the other hand-I am really digging being able to see where I am going with clear. I can use my thing-a-ma-jig. (placement hand tool vs the platforms like MISTI you use with wood or acrylic block) But not the best with it.

Sorry! I have fallen into the acronym trap. When I first got here I was the same way. All kinds of abbreviations flying around and I am sitting here thinking I have NO idea what people were talking about. I could at least google a written name. I will try to do better

here is the thread on them under start here board

What do all those acronyms mean? HELP? - Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2019, 07:16 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
I have not and will not be un-mounting my rubber stamps. I like the feel of the wood block in my hand and to have the stamp ready to go at a moment's notice without trying to figure out which side is up. I'm very careful about lining up the index on the block with the rubber so I can use that as the guide. I know it takes up more space, but I can store my two deep in clam shell boxes in the drawers I have and see what's there at a glance. That is more important to me than having more space for more stamps I probably won't use. If I want additional stamps that wont fit in my storage, then something must go, or I don't get the additions. Any unmounted rubber stamps I may buy all go on those blocks everyone gives me as they unmount. I don't like plastic stamps (talk about resources) and don't own a Misti. I know I may be a loner in this, but it just isn't for me to have to use a stamp positioner all the time. I do have a wooden stamp positioner for those occasions when I need precision, or need to restamp something, but that's certainly not every time as the index alignment makes "eyeballing" easy and quite accurate, I don't have to do any thing with my stamp and it is small enough to fit in the pencil drawer of my worktable. Just my opinion and I'm glad I have opted for this way when I hear of all the woes of un-mounting: the time, new storage problems, loosing small stamps, having to identify stamps, adhesive problems, etc. that would just cut down on the time I have and the enjoyment of this marvelous hobby. Anyone out there like me?
I am probably as opposite of you as it's possible to be, but I totally and completely understand where you're coming from and all of your points make perfect sense. Another example of how many approaches there are to this hobby/craft/art and how we still have so much in common. To be honest, I admire that you're not going down the "I need more in less space" rabbit hole...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2019, 08:05 AM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I am probably as opposite of you as it's possible to be, but I totally and completely understand where you're coming from and all of your points make perfect sense. Another example of how many approaches there are to this hobby/craft/art and how we still have so much in common. To be honest, I admire that you're not going down the "I need more in less space" rabbit hole...

Thanks for your comments. To each his own and what makes you happy, is what I live by.
Reply With Quote Likes