Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-17-2010, 11:38 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To many scraps of paper.

When do some of draw the the line on scraps. In other words how do you sort them or do throw them a away etc. Please help.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 12:55 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

i have those stacking drawers, and some of them are about 9x12 and about 3" deep. ONE of them is for scraps only. when i can no longer close that drawer or fit any more in it, i purge it.!

i use to keep one very deep drawer but it got too over whelming for me.

now, i do keep all sizes of scraps because i do have a lot of punches and some are just right for tiny scraps...silly i know but waste not want not right LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 01:04 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Received 124 Likes on 110 Posts

I store each color of cardstock in its own manila folder. I keep full sheets of cardstock to the back of the folder and smaller pieces and scraps to the front. Then, if I need only a small piece of a certain color, I can simply look in the front of the folder.

Usually, if it's less than 1/2" wide, I toss it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 01:17 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PH in VAView Post
I store each color of cardstock in its own manila folder. I keep full sheets of cardstock to the back of the folder and smaller pieces and scraps to the front. Then, if I need only a small piece of a certain color, I can simply look in the front of the folder.

Great idea. This sounds simple (and cheap). I like it!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 02:49 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

This is what I do too. When I take out my color of cardstock, I also take out my scraps because they are in the same folder. This is the best way I have found to store scraps in a way that I will actually use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 04:23 PM   #6  
neglecting the kids and housework

I hope by "toss it" you all mean you recycle LOL

I have hanging folders for all my CS and usually dont' have too many scraps hanging around but what I do have is in it's file with the full sheets. If I have odd colors, or DP I have a plastic shoe box. I try to be good and go thru it often and use up what I have. I'm lucky too that the preschool the kids go to want all my scraps for the kids for gluing and tearing practice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I'll mostly chuck anything out that is smaller than a card front and I store all my papers in an accordian folder with the scraps with the full size sheets so I can see the scraps and use them when I go for a certain colour.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 04:37 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

How small? I keep larger pieces for awhile, but the smaller pieces go straight into the recycle bin. It is way to easy to let tons of them pile up by trying to keep every little scrap lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 10:17 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

I have been saving scraps for years but find that I almost NEVER use them until I end up with such an abundance I am overwhelmed by them...I have 2 file boxes right now, sorted by color, and I never grab for them. I am remodeling my scrap room and am adding them to the recycling and starting over! I think I will make it a rule to just save pieces 1/4 sheet or larger, I just never use them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 10:34 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpaisley1View Post
I have been saving scraps for years but find that I almost NEVER use them until I end up with such an abundance I am overwhelmed by them...I have 2 file boxes right now, sorted by color, and I never grab for them. I am remodeling my scrap room and am adding them to the recycling and starting over! I think I will make it a rule to just save pieces 1/4 sheet or larger, I just never use them!
That's a good idea (1/4 sheet or larger)! I'm starting to get overwhelmed by my paper. I use m cardstock scraps but hardly ever look in my paper scraps for some reason.

My sister keeps sending me tons of pretty paper she gets 4 or 5 for a buck, so I have lots of full sheets to choose from so maybe that's why I don't look at my scraps of paper any more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2010, 12:13 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

I am SO glad some one brought this up! I am cleaning my desk right now and I've stumbled on to a pile of scraps and was wondering what to do with them. They are big enough for punches but not much else... Thanks for the ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2010, 04:43 AM   #12  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

If it can't be punched, I throw away
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2010, 04:53 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I throw my SU scraps (small ones--less than half sheet) into a sandwich size ziploc bag with their name on it. Now, I always reach for it first. They are all in file folders by color. I toss strips less than a half inch wide and other scraps too small to punch. I use my scraps first now instead of getting frustrated and slicing up another sheet!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2010, 05:27 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Oh, I love scraps. I reach for my scraps more than I do my regular card stock. My rule is that I declutter them often and what is not my style goes to my Mom and her friends to fight over. I also won't keep it if I can't use a punch on it. My scraps are stored in large sandwich bags organized by category. I keep them in a pretty decorator box that is stored under my desk. If I want to make a card I just grab my box and create.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2010, 05:30 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

I have 2 small plastic drawer stands with 4 drawers each. Each drawer hold pieces just larger than a card. 1 drawer for each color family (4), IC, DSP, neutrals, and one for envleopes. For anything larger I have a portfolio with large cello bags (labeled) for each color, and sorted by family. They can fit full sheets if I needed but mine are in vertical storage. I have these right next to me so I go to these first. Every so often (about 6 months or so) I go through my larger pieces and cut everything I can into card bases and fronts. I still end up with some long, skinny pieces but I use them for Scrapbooking anyways. Also recycling anything smaller than 1/4", or to small for a 1" punch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2010, 06:28 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Default Paper scraps

I store all of my paper scraps by color families. I put them in a gallon size zip-lock bag labeled, then I put all of the zip-lock bags in a basket or the fabric box thing that will fit into the cubes. For the longest time I never used my scraps but now I keep it in sight and try to use it whenever possible for punches or when I need to use a small piece. I found thtis to be the best way for me and it works! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2010, 06:31 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I used the three drawer storage sets from Ikea. The drawers are 8.5x11 ish, so when I pull them out, I can see what's in my drawer easily. I used to store scraps in a ziplock bag attached to my hanging files for that color, but found I wasn't apt to use them because they weren't easily accessible. I ended up purchasing 3 sets of drawers, which gives me one drawer for each designated colors (i.e. blue, red, pink, etc.). I like the size of the drawers - anything smaller than a half sheet goes in the drawer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2010, 06:37 AM   #18  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Smaller than 3x3 gets punched (I start by using the largest punch possible for each scrap); the punched shapes are then organized by shape/color i.e. purple butterflies, yellow circles, etc.) I have several multi-compartment containers for this purpose (my favorite is the one from $-stores that came with cosmetic pads, cotton balls and q-tips).

Other scraps are put into Sterilite drawers (the three-drawer units) by color - hardly use them now because they are stored away in a closet and I craft in the dining room. But when I had more crafting space I used to toss all my scraps in a basket/box left on my table and found I used them more because I would look through it for inspiration! Many color combos came about because I took a handful of scraps out of the box and liked the way they looked together. And, because it was on my table, it was convenient to look through if I decided I needed a piece of red cardstock while making a card.

So, while we can all offer ideas what works really depends on how you craft and the space you have etc. I hope you find a solution!

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2010, 08:05 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 667 Likes on 419 Posts

Well I make most my cards larger then A-2 so i end up with a lot of strips of cardstock the ones that are 2.5 or 3" wide i make them into little gift card sizes like so ( this is a kitchen drawer organizer from like linens and things type store) Mini Cards Blank Storage

I do die cut alot of smaller pieces of cardstock also and then i organize those by color into Iris Photo storage cases ( Like so )

For larger pieces of papers and cardstocks i have one of those its the plastic storage box you can get at (anywhere) thats to store CD's in, i have the lid removed and made divders and the papers and cardstocks stand upright in it, ( its pretty full) but these are quarter sheets, 6X6 pads (i rip these aprart and sort by color into this box) and half sheets of 8.5X11 sized pieces. ( 6X12 pieces i store in the same space as the full sheets just on top of the 12X12 sheets)
Hopefully that makes sense,

one of the things i do now is when i have a pile of scraps (next to my trimmer) i make a lot of gift cards/tags from bits and pieces ( I already know the papers go together from making the larger card) and so this is easier on my brain then trying to "put it all away"

hth,

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2010, 01:25 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

I stumbled upon this swap for my scraps that can be punched and thought this was an excellent way to use my scraps and get some different punched images.

For those getting rid of your scraps, this might be a good way to recycle and get somthing for it.

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

~Dee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2010, 02:52 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

if nothing else pass your scraps on to a school. kindergarten teachers & art teachers love these!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #22  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

That is a really good idea. I might just have to try that out. I am in the process of getting a lot more organized.

oleladyHo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2010, 05:13 AM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

I do something similar, but instead of manila folders I use page protectors that I've cut down to about 7 inches. My SU cardstock is all in a metal cart hanging file, so using the page protectors keeps all those pieces from falling out the sides, plus it's easy to grab and go. Usually anything between a 1/2 and 1/4 sheet will go in there.

For smaller pieces of cardstock, general scraps, I use an accordian style check/receipt file and separate the scraps by color families (pinks, blues, etc). The file expands and will stand on a tabletop by itself (I keep the cover folded back). All I have to do is reach in and grab what I need. The one I have right now is from the Container store:

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/o...uctId=10022663

I can't let go of scraps! They come in handy for gift cards, like Stacy said, tags, and punched pieces. Tossing anything less than 1/4 sheet? I COULDN'T! I'm the child of Depression era parents...it's in the genes, I guess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2010, 05:28 AM   #24  
Mad Swapper

I keep my scraps in a gallon ziplock bag by color and they are put into the hanging file folder with the full sheets of the same color. So if I need real red I put the entire folder and the scraps are in the baggie. The designer/patterned paper is in a drawer separate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2010, 05:28 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 489 Likes on 307 Posts

Try making the top note quilt cards that I have seen recently....gallery search. You use a mailing lable for the Stick to em part and lay your scraps on, then use the top note die to cut it out...add a base and maybe another embellishment and you have an awesome card front.....
Easy way to use up those scraps of designer paper and cardstock too.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2010, 01:01 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Dedham, MA just outside Boston where I was born and raised

I have a hanging file box and in it I have a folder with a labeled tab for every color of Stampin Up cardstock I have. When I'm done with a project all cardstock gets sorted back into it's proper folder so I have scraps and full pieces of cs in one place.
I put my designer papers into one of the clear 12x12 craft keepers that SU sells. The bottom is gusseted so it holds tons and they're pretty inexpensive. The folder has a clousre and I can see through it to find what I need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2010, 01:41 PM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I keep my scraps (anything smaller than 1/2 an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet) in an IKEA 6 drawer Alex unit. One drawer for each colour family,one for in colour and one for neutrals. The drawers are shallow and wide so you can really see want you have and "stir" them around.

Sarah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2010, 05:14 PM   #28  
Inking Addict

I keep my scraps sorted into display books with the clear plastic pockets. I have one display book each for soft subtles, rich regals, earth elements, bold brights and one for neutrals and the current in-colors. Each book is a different color to make it easier to identify. By keeping 2 or 3 full sheets of cardstock as well as any scraps in the pockets, I find I can just take these 5 display books with me whenever I go to a friend's house to stamp and as they are handy I'm more likely to use my scraps when I need smaller pieces of card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2010, 05:16 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I used to sort, file, save, etc. Couldn't keep up and my time is too short for stamping as is. So I throw them all in a big box and sort through it once in a while.
Then when I can't stand it I offer the box as blog candy and let someone else profit from my laziness.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2010, 06:06 PM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

Location: Virginia, where we have the beach and mountains all in one state!!

I keep my scraps in a CM Accordion file sorted by color. Each tab has about 4-5 colors in each in alphabetical order. This is simple for me and it doesn't take up a lot of space. But I reach for my scraps before a full sheet of card stock. Usually if it's smaller than a 3x3 I will throw it away. My suggestions is to keep it simple.

Good luck,

My "Small" Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2010, 05:45 PM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

Default Best solution

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
I used to sort, file, save, etc. Couldn't keep up and my time is too short for stamping as is. So I throw them all in a big box and sort through it once in a while.
Then when I can't stand it I offer the box as blog candy and let someone else profit from my laziness.
I love this one---super idea! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2010, 05:53 PM   #32  
Embossing Fanatic

I do something similar to the file folder system. I closed the sides on mine so I don't get any strays in my bin, and I have a 2" x 4" rectangle on the front so I know what is in the file folder. I did a post about it on my blog if you wanted to see what I did. I always grab for it first and it's been good to keep the strays at bay.

Dee =)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2010, 12:50 PM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

I keep strips of paper that are maybe 2" or more wide. I keep anything that is big enough to punch. I use these small pieces a lot!!! I can't imagine tossing them.

Right now they are in one drawer, but I need to sort them and get a new system so they don't get bent and so it's easier to find the color I need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2010, 01:48 PM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by c-mouseView Post
Try making the top note quilt cards that I have seen recently....gallery search. You use a mailing lable for the Stick to em part and lay your scraps on, then use the top note die to cut it out...add a base and maybe another embellishment and you have an awesome card front.....
Easy way to use up those scraps of designer paper and cardstock too.
That idea is way too cool! Crazy quilts from paper is brilliant. Thanks for sharing that gem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2010, 02:06 PM   #35  
Inking Addict

I keep mine in zip lock bags with their name on the front. I put all of the bags into a basket. I always go to the scrap bags before I think about cutting a whole piece of paper. It works very well for me. I have a paper rack (from a out of business stamp store) that holds 32 different colors. Prior to putting the baggies in the basket, I put the baggies on top of the racked paper. That looked very messy and made it difficult to get out a full sheet of paper. I like the basket of scraps much better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2010, 04:05 PM   #36  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I do this too. when scraps get small, I use my small round and small heart punch to minimize what I throw out. I also use my leaf puch for this too. Each punched shape gets its own ziplock bag.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2010, 04:51 PM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

My most valuable and rare crafting item is my time. So I generally toss all my scraps. I will throw larger pieces back into the hanging folder with the rest of that color of CS, but that's about it. I really don't have time to try and remember if I've already punched a 1" circle in that color or go dig out a shape from a drawer. I punch as I need it and if I happen to change my mind, the old punched shape goes in the trash.

I figure that I *might* toss about the equivalent of 1 24 pack of CS per year doing this. And my time is worth much more than that $5.50, KWIM?

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2010, 06:26 PM   #38  
Polyshrink Goddess

All my SU and Papertrey Ink scraps are kept with the full size sheets in those clear envelope style paper holders. Typically I keep 3 or 4 colors per holder. I try to use a scrap first before cutting into the full sheets.

I'm trying to work through all my Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc cardstock so I'm only keeping fairly large scraps and those all go into box. When the lid won't close, I pull some out to give to a friend or to a school.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2010, 07:15 PM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

me too! That's almost exactly what I do, and why. If it's the size of a card base, then it goes into the folder along with the full size sheets. However I use the file jackets ( i think that's what they are called) to hold the scraps-- as they are sealed on 3 sides, no scraps get lost in the bottom of the file boxes I keep my cardstock in.
So I have 4 sturdy plastic boxes that hold hanging file folder for my carstock storage, and they are full of my CS as follows: a hanging folder with the name of the (mostly SU!) cardstock color that has full size and card front size pieces inside, and a file jacket (also labeled) with smaller than card front size pieces in it, tucked in the front of the hanging file. If i have full unopened packs of a color, then I put them behind the hanging file but not in it (heavy).
HTH!
Holly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2010, 08:13 AM   #40  
Glitter Queen

I have a plastic bin that accommodates hanging file folders. Hanging file folders are marked by color family and scraps (including patterned papers) are filed accordingly. I usually don't keep anything smaller than 3 x 3, but do keep strips if they at least measure 1 x 5 inches because those too can many times be used on a card.
Reply With Quote Likes