Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-20-2014, 08:18 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Organizing dies

Hi everyone, what do you use to organize your dies please? At the moment I have mine in A4 size plastic boxes that are an inch deep, they are on magnetic sheets insie , but I am needing inspiration for something that can be flicked through and not taking up much space on the shelf any ideas anyone?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2014, 08:54 AM   #2  
Glitter Queen

I store my wafer thin dies using the method "developed" by Jennifer McGuire. Jennifer has a video about this method available from her blog (Google "Jennifer McGuire" and "die storage"). This method works well for me. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2014, 09:02 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I have mine in a binder, but it was a lot of work to set it up. I cut 8 x 10 sheets from old manilla folders and inserted them into individual acrylic page protectors. To each sheet I attached a magnetic strip. I just remove the sheets from the page protector when I want to use a die. It's easy to return the die to the sheet when I'm done. It's not the best system, but it works for now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2014, 05:50 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Mine are in the Avery Elle envelopes/pockets. I cut down magnetic vent covers and glued to a piece of white cardstock; I also had some old advertising magnets that I cut down as well. I used my label maker to label the envelope with the name of the die and the company it came from. For my smaller dies I used clear CD envelopes and did the same thing. If the die set has a matching stamp set it is stored in the bag of the envelope. They are all stored upright in a basket (maybe 6 inches wide) that I got at Hobby Lobby. I like that I can flip through them to see what I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2014, 11:44 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I put all mine onto magnetic sheets, hole punched them and store them in ring binders. The sheets were A4, I cut them in half to A5.
Organizing dies-img_7641-.jpg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2014, 09:41 AM   #6  
Glitter Queen

Thanks everyone, what I might is get an A5 Ringbinder and some plastic pockets and some magnetic sheets to go inside and see how I get on with that. Over here in the UK we don't seem to get many stores that sell storage ideas, so this is the nearest I think I am going to get to what I need, as I want to be able to flick through them as and when needed . Thankyou for your help ladies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2014, 10:43 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Hi Tippy, I didn't realise you were in the UK too! I got my magnetic sheets from Handy Hippo - �2.49 for two A4 sheets, which gave me four A5 when cut down. I did try it orginally with magnetic photo paper, but it doesn't work, the magnet isn't strong enough. By the way, i don't use plastic pockets with mine, and the sheets are strong enough to hold all the dies without any slipping off.
I agree about UK storage ideas- its either develop your own, or pay an arm & a leg for branded 'craft storage'!
My A5 binders came from Staples- I think they were about �1.50 each.

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 03-22-2014 at 10:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2014, 01:56 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 348 Likes on 135 Posts

I've just reorganised mine using the Couture Creations 12x12 magnetic sheets, which fit in their 12x13 storage box. The sheets are strong, tabbed for ease of labelling and are easy to look through

CC is an Australian company, I don't know whether their die storage is available in the UK.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2014, 05:12 AM   #9  
Glitter Queen

Hi Shazsilverwolf ,sorry to be a pain, but what thickness of magnetic sheet do you use as there is so much to choose from and I don't want to get some that are too thick and heavy or too light and the dies don't stay on. I have seen some ebay that are about 0.4mm and 0.5mm do you think this will be ok.
Thanks Tracey
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2014, 08:29 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Hi Tippy,just found a vernier out to measure mine, and the Woodware ones are about 0.7mm thick. I would say that it would be worth getting some of the 0.5mm and trying them. Thats only very slightly thinner than the ones I am using, and should be more than strong enough to hold the dies. If you do try them, let us have some feedback- I will get some of those myself then, . If they turn out not to be strong enough, you can always cut them up to use them to make fridge magnets,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2014, 01:57 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I used to store all my thin dies in binders, but I just got so many of them and got tired of having to go through so many binders. So I have taken all the pages out of the binders now, slipped them into page protectors, and have them all in storage boxes with dividers. I love being able to just flip through them quickly to find what I am looking for.

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2014, 03:11 AM   #12  
Glitter Queen

Default Die storage

I am in love with the ArtBin magnetic storage system. I have 4 of them now. I group dies by type (butterflies, filllagree, flowers, etc. and have each bin numbered. I then typed out the list of what is in each bin. I don't have to flip through the magnetic sheets, I simply pick up my index sheets and can locate which bin I need and find the die quickly. They stack beautifully also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2014, 04:22 AM   #13  
Glitter Queen

I tried the folders but found they were too heavy.

Now I use DVD style cases and CD cases, lined with a magnetic sheet on one side and the cover picture on the other. Each case is labelled on the spine and stored on a shelf. It is easy to reach for the die set that I want without having to deal with a folder that was getting heavier as my die collection grew.

The only dies that won't fit are the Spellbinders border dies... part of the accents or motifs. So, if anyone has access to jewel cases just slightly bigger than a DVD case, I would most appreciate the information.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2014, 04:42 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by carolanninnwmoView Post
Mine are in the Avery Elle envelopes/pockets. I cut down magnetic vent covers and glued to a piece of white cardstock; I also had some old advertising magnets that I cut down as well. I used my label maker to label the envelope with the name of the die and the company it came from. For my smaller dies I used clear CD envelopes and did the same thing. If the die set has a matching stamp set it is stored in the bag of the envelope. They are all stored upright in a basket (maybe 6 inches wide) that I got at Hobby Lobby. I like that I can flip through them to see what I have.
Unfortunately for the OP and myself these aren't readily available in the uk! But I do love thge jennifer mcguire system. Will have to continue my research into getting something similar here in the uk.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2014, 05:47 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

I got this idea from Laurie Schmidlin years ago when I asked for ideas. Nestabilities Storage... - Just Give Me Stamps... She puts her on a cupboard door. I will admit mine aren't on as neatly and realized quickly that those doors fill up. Also realized that all magnets aren't created equal. The Hobby lobby strips aren't as strong as the JoAnn's. I like the strips better than the full sheets of register covers (which I use too, ran through Xyron to get glue on to stick. ) I will admit they do fall off at times when the door slams shut but are easy to find and you hear it when they do. I hate that sound! The other bad thing is most of the sets don't nest well and having to do a couple separate areas takes up a lot of space, so I try to make them nest and that's probably why they fall, that or its the HL magnet. What I like best about it (besides using unused space) is they are all out in the open, no paging through. I can have my stamped image and hold up to each one to see what fits and what I like so easy. I ended up painting my cabinet (I had one just like Laurie) and opted not to paint the inside since the magnets were there and I didn't know how well they'd stick after paint. Besides unloading EVERYTHING was daunting enough after moving my stamp room to a bigger one and getting almost all new furniture.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2014, 06:34 AM   #16  
Glitter Queen

Default Organizing Dies

Hi ladies,
Thought it might be worth saying what works for me as am in the UK too.
I purchased magnetic sheets at NEC Hobbycrafts a few years ago and all of my dies fall off of them.
I have recently starting using LOTV bags - the small ones that they sell on their own or that some with a stamp. I have found them perfect for the nesting dies and I'm able to store them in a box upright.
I flick through them and am able to keep them in the one place and find them easily.
Hope that helps you xx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2014, 07:19 AM   #17  
Glitter Queen

I just leave mine in their original package with a magnetic piece glued inside to hold them then put then put the whole package in a small crate. Also have a list of what i have on front of crate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2014, 07:40 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 483 Likes on 358 Posts

Betty in post #15 mentioned the magnetic strips on the back of a door. That is what I do for the dies that I use a lot. Here's a link to a photo of it:

LOVEFEST2014D Die Storage 1 by susanbri - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

For all my other dies, I use small binders with plastic sleeves and magnetic vent covers but I'm thinking it would be easier to flip through a box than a binder so might change that.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2014, 08:17 AM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like we all have various methods that work for us. I contemplated all kinds of ideas, including making a shadow box on the wall with magnetic sheeting inside it and storing my dies that way, but just happened to be perusing PTI's forum and there was a link to how Nichole stores her dies.{capture the moment}: Studio Die Storage
She uses cd sleeves, labels each one and stores them in a small boxes with hinged lids. I'd been storing mine in Avery Elle type pockets but most of the time they are all the way at the bottom and it was so frustrating to just pick what I needed.
So I had some cd sleeves (though they are different than hers) and purchased a small open tray at Hobby Lobby for $1.12 ($1.99 but I used my 40% off coupon!) and now I LOVE it!! I keep the SU ones in their own envelopes... So easy to see what I'm going for, all labeled and pretty!
Name:  20140326_111143.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  95.2 KB

Name:  20140326_111159.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  51.9 KB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2014, 08:18 AM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

well so sorry for the HUGE photos!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2014, 09:49 AM   #21  
Embossing Fanatic

Check out Stamp n Storage - it's advertised here on SCS - absolutely awesome systems for flipping through die cuts - I also purchased the magnetic sheets - love, love, love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2014, 11:40 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 258 Likes on 139 Posts

I keep mine in a binder on magnetic sheets (vent covers from the hardware store) each in the proper sized pocket. I get the sheets from Century Photo as they have every size you could need. I have all the dies I need (and maybe even more), so since I won't be acquiring any more, this will work for me. I keep them grouped by type---circles, squares, rectangles, labels, etc. Easy to flip through and see what I have and need.
Attached Thumbnails
Organizing dies-die-storage.jpg   Organizing dies-die-storage-b.jpg   Organizing dies-die-storage-c.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2014, 03:18 PM   #23  
Cardstock Collector

Heart Love Art Bin magnetic die holder

I am new to die cutting but have purchased my first Artbin storage system and love it. I have six pages of dies and it looks like more will fit. When I eventually own enough dies to have multiple bins I will sort them into type, also. These bins can be stacked flat or on their side on a shelf. Because they lock well, no worries about dies falling out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2014, 04:26 PM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So glad I popped over here. I love those Fridge Binz that Jennifer McGuire uses!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2014, 07:20 PM   #25  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 741 Likes on 361 Posts

I just set myself up with these:
EZMagnetic 2-N-1 Storage System Starter Set - Full Size

After my stamp teacher who of course has tons of them and has gone through many generations of storage with them showed them to me.

This site has the lowest day to day prices I've found not counting special sales. You can get more pages. They also come in half sizes. I org'ed them by labels sets, basic shapes (circle, square, oval, rect) and then shapes like butterflies or whatever...The pages allow you to put matching cling stamps on the back. I don't do that so I get about 12 pages to the binder. While a bit heavy when full, I like them very much. They sit on the shelf with the binders I have cling stamps in. Since they are totally enclosed there is no losing dies. I have a lot so I have 5 of them now.

The only "flaws" with them is they don't have pages with tabs like the cling stamp pages do and the full size due to the space for the binder holes don't quite fit dies that are over 4 inches side by side. You have to stagger them a bit or mix with smaller.

The half size could be good for portable-for carrying about to crops, etc

I was hoping to also use them for metal stencils but no luck-brass does not stick but companies who make them out of steel might. I think I will just get a box I can flip through...the photo album thing isnt working-it's falling apart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2014, 04:59 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

I tried a few methods before I found what works very well for me. I store my dies in a DVD file box that has hanging folders. I cut heavy cardstock and attached magnetic strips which I cut from magnetic vent covers. I "file" each die set in a separate folder. There are 62 sets in this box with room for about 10 more. I find I use my dies a lot more than I ever did before!
Attached Thumbnails
Organizing dies-img_5053.jpg   Organizing dies-img_5054.jpg   Organizing dies-img_5056.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2014, 12:50 PM   #27  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspengirlView Post
I tried a few methods before I found what works very well for me. I store my dies in a DVD file box that has hanging folders. I cut heavy cardstock and attached magnetic strips which I cut from magnetic vent covers. I "file" each die set in a separate folder. There are 62 sets in this box with room for about 10 more. I find I use my dies a lot more than I ever did before!
Where did you find that box?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2014, 01:55 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 297 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KempseyView Post
I tried the folders but found they were too heavy.

Now I use DVD style cases and CD cases, lined with a magnetic sheet on one side and the cover picture on the other. Each case is labelled on the spine and stored on a shelf. It is easy to reach for the die set that I want without having to deal with a folder that was getting heavier as my die collection grew.

The only dies that won't fit are the Spellbinders border dies... part of the accents or motifs. So, if anyone has access to jewel cases just slightly bigger than a DVD case, I would most appreciate the information.
I was using comic book cases before I converted to my current (5 1/2" x 8 1/2") size for storing dies...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2014, 03:58 PM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by angel1971View Post
Where did you find that box?
I found it on Amazon. I will try to attach the link here, but if it doesn't work, just do a Google search for Faux Leather DVD File Boxes and it will find a couple different kinds for you.

[URL="http://http://www.amazon.com/Faux-Leather-Filing-Disc-Capacity/dp/B0073NVRC2"]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2014, 03:58 PM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I found it on Amazon. I will try to attach the link here, but if it doesn't work, just do a Google search for Faux Leather DVD File Boxes and it will find a couple different kinds for you.

[URL="http://http://www.amazon.com/Faux-Leather-Filing-Disc-Capacity/dp/B0073NVRC2"]
Sorry, I tried everything I knew to make that a real link! Frustrates me!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2014, 04:03 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 483 Likes on 358 Posts

Quote:

Sorry, I tried everything I knew to make that a real link! Frustrates me!!
Not sure why your link didn't work but I found them and here's the link to them:

Amazon.com: Faux Leather CD and DVD Filing Box (150 Disc Capacity) - Red: Electronics

Thanks - that looks like a great storage option - I like the idea of them hanging and being able to flip through them, rather than turning the pages in my binder.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2014, 04:11 PM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanbriView Post
Not sure why your link didn't work but I found them and here's the link to them:

Amazon.com: Faux Leather CD and DVD Filing Box (150 Disc Capacity) - Red: Electronics

Thanks - that looks like a great storage option - I like the idea of them hanging and being able to flip through them, rather than turning the pages in my binder.
Thanks for adding the link! I just recently made some dividers from colored file folders that I cut down, and sorted the dies into categories, such as, circles, ovals, squares, rectangles, etc. That's been helpful, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2014, 03:37 PM   #33  
Cardstock Collector

I wanted my dies stored on magnetic sheets. I purchased magnetic register covers from Lowe's and cut them to size to fit in the 3 ring folder box that I purchased at Pat Catans. I then placed Chipboard sheets between to stabilize them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2014, 04:09 PM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 258 Likes on 139 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrssharonView Post
I wanted my dies stored on magnetic sheets. I purchased magnetic register covers from Lowe's and cut them to size to fit in the 3 ring folder box that I purchased at Pat Catans. I then placed Chipboard sheets between to stabilize them.
I tried to find the Pat Catans 3 ring folder box and wan unsuccessful. Can you send a link or number so I can see what this is. It truly sounds interesting to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2014, 07:03 PM   #35  
Stampin' Fool

I too use the magnetic vent covers; I cut them to fit a 5x8 zip lock bag; thicker than normal. Zip lock makes sure that the dies won't fall out. I use the back of the cover to let me know the manufacture of the die (I usually cut the original pkg to fit). The magnetic sheet slides easily in and out for use. These are then stored in the old SU white shoe boxes (can't remember what they were actually called). You could easily adapt these to any size box or zip lock bag.

This works for me and it's cheap.

Zip lock bags

Read more: options for die "sleeves" by Cathy H at Splitcoaststampers
Attached Thumbnails
Organizing dies-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2014, 07:24 AM   #36  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by LovesG45View Post
I am new to die cutting but have purchased my first Artbin storage system and love it. I have six pages of dies and it looks like more will fit. When I eventually own enough dies to have multiple bins I will sort them into type, also. These bins can be stacked flat or on their side on a shelf. Because they lock well, no worries about dies falling out.
After a few more months of collecting, my Artbin magnetic case is now being used only for the nesting basic shapes, matting shapes, and labels. I have switched to the Avery Elle clear pockets for all my other wafer dies such as butterflies, flowers, hearts, etc. since they can be filed by type and if they have matching stamps, they can be packaged together. I also use this system for my stamps. I still like the Artbin for those matting dies but the file system seems to suit me better for finding shapes, sentiments, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2014, 10:13 PM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Came across this video today and thought some may find it useful... it would certainly take some of the weight out using a whole page of magnet

How I Store ... Thin Dies | The Card Grotto - YouTube
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #38  
Proud Fan Club Member

RiverIsis- that is the system I linked for above! I think it's pretty cool!

Odd-they make magnetic pages so I dont know why she is using cling stamp pages and putting pieces of magnetic on there. Maybe it's cheaper that way? The one regret I have about the system is they dont have tabbed mag pages like for cling systems which would make it even faster to get to the right page, but she isnt using the tabbed pages. huh.

The Crafter Companion magnetic pages are cling style on their backs so if you have matching cling stamps for the dies you can keep them together. (I dont) I would actually prefer if both sides were magnetic to double the storage so I might use her idea of the mag pieces on the backs of the pages if that doesnt turn out to be too heavy because the rings in the binders are only plastic not metal.

Thanks for that clip-it gave me something to think about
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2014, 09:38 AM   #39  
Proud Fan Club Member

Hang on! I just got an email....Crafter's Companion is having a half price sale for the memorial day weekend-including these storage systems!! whoo ha! I may get a couple more so I have room to grow!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2014, 10:08 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
RiverIsis- that is the system I linked for above! I think it's pretty cool!

Odd-they make magnetic pages so I dont know why she is using cling stamp pages and putting pieces of magnetic on there. Maybe it's cheaper that way? The one regret I have about the system is they dont have tabbed mag pages like for cling systems which would make it even faster to get to the right page, but she isnt using the tabbed pages. huh.

The Crafter Companion magnetic pages are cling style on their backs so if you have matching cling stamps for the dies you can keep them together. (I dont) I would actually prefer if both sides were magnetic to double the storage so I might use her idea of the mag pieces on the backs of the pages if that doesnt turn out to be too heavy because the rings in the binders are only plastic not metal.

Thanks for that clip-it gave me something to think about
Yeah, that is why I linked it- because I think a whole binder of magnetic pages is very heavy (I currently have mine on vent covers cut in 3 in a box for DVDs). I was thinking the sheets with the small magnetics would be lighter. I wonder if she started her system before these were out. Also she is UK based I believe so there could be an availability/shipping issue.
Reply With Quote Likes