Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-08-2010, 10:37 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you stay organized during unmounting process?

I have decided to unmount all my stamps. At the moment I haven't quite decided which system I want to go with (ez mount vs TIOAO), so I don't have the products needed for the remounting yet. However, I am feeling the energy to starting taking the rubber off the blocks. I really need to utilize my energy when I have it since I am pregnant (it seems to come and go). I am worried that if I start taking the rubber off the blocks that I will end up with a massive pile of rubber and not know where to go from there.

For those that have gone through the process, do you unmount, remount on ez mount or TIOAO then file in the appropriate category for what ever organization system you use, all at the same time? For this, I mean when you do individual stamps/sets, not referring to doing the unmounting of every single stamp you own at one time. If not, how do you organize the now bare rubber until you mount and organize/file it? Also, if you do it a little at a time, how do you keep track of the stamp name, company, and sets? I really don't have many sets. Most of my stamps have been individual purchases from various different companies and I don't want to forget where the stamp came from.

Another issue is that I haven't ordered the supplies I need for storage. I am pretty sure I am going with the full size Univenture binders and storage panels meant for ez mount. I am just waiting for some sales. Does anyone know if I can store my stamps on the panels if I decide to go with the TIOAO?

Would you suggest waiting until I have all my supplies before starting to unmount?

Thank you for any suggestions and advice you have to offer!

My Blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

If you want to wait to start unmounting until you decide on the final method and receive your supplies, you can at least start on your inventory. Create a spreadsheet that lists all the information you want to keep track of for each stamp set. Then start your indexing/categorizing. Some folks keep a binder system with whole stamp sets per page arranged alphabetically in one binder - some keep them grouped by manufacturer, while others just alphabetize by set name. Another binder or section in one binder would house individual stamp images (for example, a Flower section would have a stamped image of each flower stamp you have) - the individual images need a bit of info with them (stamp name or whatever you want to use to find its stamp set and stored location). Some folks prefer to do the stamping on cs, but I just use plain copy paper, as it's cheaper and not using up my supply!

Another tip if you want to start unmounting right away (tho you do need to make the EZ mount vs ATIOO decision first), is to work with stamp sets and keep the unmounted sets in their storage boxes or at least keep them together in groups, so you know their set names and can go from there once you get all your supplies.

HTH!

I have CDO. It's like OCD, except all the letters are in order like they should be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2010, 05:51 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

Just thinking out loud here, but do you already have the stamps catalogued? If not, could you catalogue them first? Just pages of index images, preferrably the same size as what you want to store them on/in or better yet done as you will have them when finished. (did that make sense).

Then when you unmount, you could put them in ziplocks with the corresponding image/group until you can put the sticky on them.

I just did a large group of mine and ripped them all off the backings and put them in a storage container until I was ready to apply the sticky. Then, I did the tissue images in batches, glued in batches, etc. I did as many as I could get on the bench at a time drying, put those away, then started on the next lot.

Just my way. I like doing things in batches. I organise my office work the same way, my housework and even my cooking to a certain extent.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2010, 05:55 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcfly_junior_88View Post
If you want to wait to start unmounting until you decide on the final method and receive your supplies, you can at least start on your inventory. Create a spreadsheet that lists all the information you want to keep track of for each stamp set. Then start your indexing/categorizing. Some folks keep a binder system with whole stamp sets per page arranged alphabetically in one binder - some keep them grouped by manufacturer, while others just alphabetize by set name. Another binder or section in one binder would house individual stamp images (for example, a Flower section would have a stamped image of each flower stamp you have) - the individual images need a bit of info with them (stamp name or whatever you want to use to find its stamp set and stored location). Some folks prefer to do the stamping on cs, but I just use plain copy paper, as it's cheaper and not using up my supply!

Another tip if you want to start unmounting right away (tho you do need to make the EZ mount vs ATIOO decision first), is to work with stamp sets and keep the unmounted sets in their storage boxes or at least keep them together in groups, so you know their set names and can go from there once you get all your supplies.

HTH!
sounds like we were saying the same thing at the same time, but you said it better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2010, 06:10 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoffeeKatView Post
Just thinking out loud here, but do you already have the stamps catalogued? If not, could you catalogue them first? Just pages of index images, preferrably the same size as what you want to store them on/in or better yet done as you will have them when finished. (did that make sense).

Then when you unmount, you could put them in ziplocks with the corresponding image/group until you can put the sticky on them.

I just did a large group of mine and ripped them all off the backings and put them in a storage container until I was ready to apply the sticky. Then, I did the tissue images in batches, glued in batches, etc. I did as many as I could get on the bench at a time drying, put those away, then started on the next lot.

Just my way. I like doing things in batches. I organise my office work the same way, my housework and even my cooking to a certain extent.

I have decided what categories I want for my stamps, but I have not taken the step to actually seperate the stamps into their corresponding category. I think I will start taking them off the blocks then put them in ziplocks according to theme.

Since you are using the glue method, are you going down to bare rubber plus the glue or leaving the cushion on? Secondly, how are you going to store yours (cd, plastic covers, binder, etc)?

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2010, 06:32 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

When I first started unmounting I was using cd cases. Then I switched to dvd cases because they held more but took the same amount of shelf space. Just recently I have started transferring from the cd and dvd cases to the binder boxes. I'm really liking this and have ordered enough supplies to transfer all my stamps to the boxes. Since I had all my stamps catalogued, the transfer is going pretty quickly. I'm freeing up about 1/3+ of my shelf space. Since most of my stamps are bare rubber I can fit more in a box. I can't get as many pages of cushion mounted in a box. But still there is a space savings. And to me they look so much more "finished" on the shelf than the rows and rows of cd/dvd cases.

My gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2010, 06:57 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

I've done most of mine without backing - too stingy to get more ezy-mount and it is too hard to get locally anyway.

I stamped on either tissue or directly to some electrostatic cling and glued it to the stamp. I usually stamp with foam pad under my paper anyway, but I've noticed that on a smooth surface, I can get a clean, crisp image without the foam pad.

I might use the ezy-mount on large stamps as it is more difficult to get even pressure on them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2010, 07:05 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by joystamp4View Post
When I first started unmounting I was using cd cases. Then I switched to dvd cases because they held more but took the same amount of shelf space. Just recently I have started transferring from the cd and dvd cases to the binder boxes. I'm really liking this and have ordered enough supplies to transfer all my stamps to the boxes. Since I had all my stamps catalogued, the transfer is going pretty quickly. I'm freeing up about 1/3+ of my shelf space. Since most of my stamps are bare rubber I can fit more in a box. I can't get as many pages of cushion mounted in a box. But still there is a space savings. And to me they look so much more "finished" on the shelf than the rows and rows of cd/dvd cases.

What mounting method to you use for your bare rubber? When you say pages, are you referring to the ez mount storage panels or do you make your own pages. If your stamps are true bare rubber how do you stick them to the pages? Sorry for all the questions! I appreciate your help.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2010, 08:56 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

If I buy an unmounted with the cling cushion I leave it on. Everything else is bare rubber. I run strips of poster tape on the acrylic block to hold the bare rubber. The tape is thinner and wider than double stick scotch tape. I stamp many, many times before it starts to lose the stickiness and needs to be replaced.

The pages are the same as the ez mount storage panels. There are other sources and sizes for the cases and inserts. I went with a smaller size. For the bare rubber, I run strips of poster tape on the page to hold the stamps. I did the same with the cd and dvd cases and it never had to be replaced.

My gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2010, 09:00 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

You may have already been referred to Patter's blog, but this is where I got the idea to use the binder cases and I used her sources. She has quite a system for organizing her stamps and a great room.

Triple the Scraps: Organizational {Friday} Unmounted Stamp Storage

My gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by joystamp4View Post
If I buy an unmounted with the cling cushion I leave it on. Everything else is bare rubber. I run strips of poster tape on the acrylic block to hold the bare rubber. The tape is thinner and wider than double stick scotch tape. I stamp many, many times before it starts to lose the stickiness and needs to be replaced.

The pages are the same as the ez mount storage panels. There are other sources and sizes for the cases and inserts. I went with a smaller size. For the bare rubber, I run strips of poster tape on the page to hold the stamps. I did the same with the cd and dvd cases and it never had to be replaced.
Thank you for the explanation. I will have to give the poster tape a try. I have used double stick tape on a block when in a hurry to use a bare stamp. I actually liked the ease of that, but wasn't sure how to store the stamps.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2010, 04:53 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoffeeKatView Post
sounds like we were saying the same thing at the same time, but you said it better.
LOL - thanks. I think we *were* doing that at the same time~

To the OP - You mentioned separating the stamps. Not sure if you mean storing the stamps in categories or simply stamping the images in categories. This is yet another decision to make. Some people do separate their stamps from the set and store them in categories. I'm too picky about my organization to separate individual stamps from their sets. Also, some of my sets fit into many of my different categories.

Also, Patter's blog is mentioned. That is a phenomenal place to see a fantastic organization system at work! (the link Joy provided is to her post that also includes links to previous posts as you read through the text - she had great descriptions and includes many pictures to see what she's talking about)

I have CDO. It's like OCD, except all the letters are in order like they should be.

Last edited by mcfly_junior_88; 08-09-2010 at 05:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2010, 07:00 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi, I have a lot of u/m stamps, and I also started with cd cases, but I found often stamps were too big, so I bought some A4 lever binders (hope you recognise this term), and some acetate sheets. I use e-z mount on my stamps, and they cling to this fine. You can also laminate paper sheets, and use this for storing u/m onto. You can stamp your images on the paper first, so you have a visual record on one side, then stick the stamps to the back.
I just followed the link to Patters blog, and the system is very similar.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2010, 07:13 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is a link from another part of the forum, and thisladys system is exactly how I have done my u/m storage

Cat Scrap Fever
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2010, 02:10 PM   #15  
Embossing Fanatic

I am unmounting my stamps too..seems like I have been working away at it for some time now, but I find that I stay organized this way!

The ez mount system is awesome! I stamp the images on the ez mount sheet first, then pull the rubber off and sort pieces into two different baskets. One for blocks and one for the rubber image. Once my ezmount sheet is full, I stop unmounting so that I don't get too overwhelmed.

With the images in a basket, I grab my trusty scissors and my ez mount sheet and can cut them out and mount while watching t.v. I then start all over with a new sheet.

I keep a little unmouting basket ready so that when the mood strikes me, I can pick up all the supplies I need to unmount (stazon, cleaner, scissors, label maker, ezmount sheets, cd cases) and don't waste time collecting it all. I find I get distracted that way and with a little one in the house, I only have some many nap time minutes!

I store mine in CD cases and have a binder index for easy reference!

Looks like everyone has some super ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2010, 03:40 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by KGrovumView Post
I am unmounting my stamps too..seems like I have been working away at it for some time now, but I find that I stay organized this way!

The ez mount system is awesome! I stamp the images on the ez mount sheet first, then pull the rubber off and sort pieces into two different baskets. One for blocks and one for the rubber image. Once my ezmount sheet is full, I stop unmounting so that I don't get too overwhelmed.

With the images in a basket, I grab my trusty scissors and my ez mount sheet and can cut them out and mount while watching t.v. I then start all over with a new sheet.

I keep a little unmouting basket ready so that when the mood strikes me, I can pick up all the supplies I need to unmount (stazon, cleaner, scissors, label maker, ezmount sheets, cd cases) and don't waste time collecting it all. I find I get distracted that way and with a little one in the house, I only have some many nap time minutes!

I store mine in CD cases and have a binder index for easy reference!

Looks like everyone has some super ideas!

Thank you for the good ideas for staying organized! When you stamp the image on the ez mount first, is it on the cling side you are talking about? If so, how do you line up your stamp on the other side? Thanks again.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #17  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckygalView Post
Thank you for the good ideas for staying organized! When you stamp the image on the ez mount first, is it on the cling side you are talking about? If so, how do you line up your stamp on the other side? Thanks again.
Yes, indeed - the cling side! It took a little trial and error (my first ones are not pretty) but I have a little trick that helps.

To save money and make the "cut out" part easier on yourself, stamp the images as close together on the sheet as you can. I roughly cut out the image from the ezm sheet first. Then I place the rubber stamp image face to face with the ezmount image. Does that make sense? So the 2 images are facing each other. This way you can see that they line up. Then I hold them in place and with scissors, trim any excess ezm using the rubber image as a cutting guide. Then you can peel off the backing, flip the rubber image over, adhere the two pieces and they are sure to be lined up. The first few are tricky to get the hang of, but then it speeds up and you can do it quickly. As I mentioned before I do mine in front of the t.v.

Hope that helps! Happy unmounting!
Reply With Quote Likes