Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-19-2021, 03:37 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 661 Likes on 415 Posts
Question Bedford Project Table

So, I have been eyeballing this table at Pottery Barn ( online ) for quite a few years now. one of the
appealing parts to me is the part that reads it is wood (mostly) and not a plastic table. I wish one end was drawers instead of cubby holes but, I'd imaging I could make them work with maybe baskets or boxes with lids to contain little things.

The folding Costco table I have had since 2004 when we moved into this house is up at counter height & not flat on the top anymore or it bothers me more than it used to. I put a glass mat ( Tim Holtz) that I put in the center rocks when stamped on.

So questions are, do you have one? how long have you had it? do you love it?
tia,

My Blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2021, 04:55 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I have always liked that unit. I didn't get one because it wouldn't work in my room. But I do have something that is somewhat similar and I really like it. "Similar" is because my table is longer (6+ feet) and less deep (only 24 inches). It has two 6-section cubes on the two ends, facing in.

My cube openings are the same size and I have a few of the fabric cube storage bins that I use for odds and ends. The others hold books, reams of paper, sterilite drawer units, die storage boxes, etc. My units are just like this. Scroll down to see the storage bins.

I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2021, 05:49 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Diane, have you ever posted a photo of your studio? ( I have looked at so many over the years if I've seen it I have forgotten) I know from things you've mentioned about storing things we do similar kinds of things that way.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2021, 07:22 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

NICE!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2021, 11:51 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Waah, I had to go to Google for images; the Pottery Barn site is blocked for Europe. And they say go to their UK site, which doesn't list anything with Bedford in the name. It looks lovely, Stacy. I'm a big fan of cubby-hole type organisation. I have it in my two old antique wooden desks. I like being able to see things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2021, 05:24 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

it is some book shelves on the ends with a work table with two open sides and two sides with book shelves. (and it is painted white-ish) I wonder if I can stick a photo in here, hang on.

and the more I think about it, the more I think maybe I am better off going to a cabinet maker and getting say something more along the lines of a kitchen work counter made, you know two sets of drawers with slim depth drawers at counter height with the drawers opening on the side where I stand to stamp and paint, and then having the other side of the table have the center open to the opening on the other side so, that if I wanted to sit and color I could have a bar stool tucked into the well space. and I would prefer it to be wood mostly so that I have it forever, and if I did something like that, it could come up the ( U shaped stairs) in 3 pieces. So, now I am thinking about going to the home improvement store that sells custom kitchen cupboards and asking about this and getting a price quote. because, that desk is (affordable to me) but, I don't really want to spend the money on something that is not exactly what I want, I have waited a long time I guess. and I want to just get it right. I am also thinking if it is wood it may be worth going to a glass co. and having a sheet cut to fit the top of the work space. ( I had that done with the main desk I use at work because, that desk is a combination of wood and pressboard)

I think that frees something up in your brain if your thinking to your self its just a plastic ( disposable) table, and you can splatter paint where ever & wipe it off after... so, I think with that attitude, I would need to protect the top if I do this so I can continue to actually make messes. I don't want something I am afraid to work on. but, I am not entirely sure I want it to really look like a kitchen island so, not thinking like a stone top or anything like that. and I walk around all the time up here so, I don't have the perspective to line things up straight sitting down. So the "sitting" desks just don't interest me that much.
Attached Thumbnails
Bedford Project Table-pottery-barn-bedford-project-table.png  

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2021, 01:39 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Thanks for the photo. I did find it in Google Images when I couldn't find it listed on the UK site.
If you know in your mind what you really want, then I'd say yes, it's definitely worth getting it made to your own specs so that you're not always wishing you had this or that. And "permanent" top protection sounds good to me. Because while in theory you could put down a large mat or something, in practice that would probably mean moving stuff to make space for the mat. I do my messy stuff downstairs because of access to water, and just spread newspapers on the kitchen table. But if I were to try doing that on my desk up here - I don't think I'd ever get there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2021, 03:16 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

ha, I get my stair quota in running up and down to the sink in the garage. ( this room is over the garage and there is a water closet with a sink down there) but, it would give me heart failure to splatter paint in my kitchen. ( it took me nearly 30 years to get what I wanted for that space) :mrgreen:

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2021, 09:39 AM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I like the concept a lot. I might think about trying to get your cubbies to have 11 1/2 inch clearance vertically for standard CS. Right now it is just shy of that. Unless you want to do 12 1/2 x 12 1/2 so you have flexibility for 12 x 12 if you go custom. I am all about flexibility.

I would think about a clear plexi cover for the table. I can just see stazon or something permanently staining the nice white. Cheaper than glass, not as dangerous if it breaks and down the road replaceable when it gets too grungy. Although-glass would be heat resistant for embossing but if you use mats you would probably be fine.

I am still on the drafting table I got 40 years ago that is set to be flat. One day I may switch out because the under part is not well utilized for storage. I have stacked boxes.

I did get an adjustable upholstered drafting chair that spins with a back/no arms and I love that.

I am excited for you to be finally getting what you have wanted for so long! YAY!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2021, 12:10 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

well, I went to the home improvement store that had the designer for the ( cabinet makers that make them in this state) that did my kitchen and he does not work there anymore. the girl who is working in that dept. ( the only person there) told me to go online and figure out what I wanted so she could order it... came home looked online, it wants me to hook up with a designer.

(can you see my head banging on the keyboard?)

Might have to go find a cabinet maker in town that just does custom work. have been poking around in Ikea online and they have a set of drawers that are metal ( which is OK, hubs is only rabid on the plastic things) but, they are not even 12" wide... so, I am not so sure what I would put in them. ( I have the usual suspects like Misti's and score boards and other flat clutter tools, water color palettes etc. )

I think it would be helpful to see rooms where people show you what is in their drawers. ha ha. ( crafty drawers ) :mrgreen:

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2021, 12:33 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 488 Likes on 307 Posts

FWIIW--My work top is two 6'laminate counter tops joined in the corner (so the actual length comes to less than 6 feet....They sit on top of kitchen cabinet bases with a drawer at the top and a door with one shelf inside.At the join I have a lazy susan base cabinet with two shelves inside_the round about ones..... This is as large as I can go in my tiny craft room. The height requires a stool or bar chair to sit on and so I keep a small stool to rest my feet on underneath the working area. It is the best I have ever had and the top holds all my ink pads in a shelf for them, my folding Fiskers big trimmer, my pens/inkers, and my distress inks and mini punches....Large pegboard above work area with dozens of hooks holding "need it right now" things. Have other storage things as well but this is my desk top.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2021, 12:52 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

I am reading this and following what you wrote so, there is two knee well spaces since it is a corner desk on the wall kind of a placement then Pansy?

here is a mug shot ( old) of the corner where all my stuff is piled. ( the roof slants, so cabinets would not work on the tiny amount of wall space) the wall where the jars are along the wall is only about 6' tall, I have to duck to go into those closet doors. those links go to the gallery.

I am kind of thinking something free standing that I can walk all the way around, because, the door opens to the room at the top of the stairs right in front of that table. I have removed the book shelf that was holding the old suitcases from in front of the table ( near the door) and so that did free up some floor space.

did you know you can only do one link in a post now? ( and it will not format it with the words you want either...)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2021, 12:53 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

second link.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2021, 04:01 PM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

You can save a money if you designed and made your own. Several of the elements in that desk can be found at IKEA https://www.ikea.com/us/en/
In addition you can find some unique elements at the second stores. You can repaint them, stencil and add transfers to them...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2021, 09:30 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Stacy, if you really like that nice wooden project table it might be worth it to buy a piece tempered glass to put on top. It will likely set you back a couple hundred extra to have it cut to size and polished on the edges but I it would give you the best of both worlds.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2021, 04:27 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

every single thing in my room was purchased ( furniture/storage) at antique stores, yard sales etc. so, I have a lot of vintage metal pieces for the most part and I never got around to having them all powder coated the same color. I had assumed at some point I would have a "craft room" all to my self and that Id have to move things and that would be a good time to send things out to be colored.

at this point I no longer really even notice that part, but, I may have found a better table. similar design but, instead of cubby holes they are shelves. and I think they are a little bigger. but, there is one review that the table top was saggy for them. and I look at that and go, nope I have plastic that does that already thanks. :mrgreen:

This one from Ballard Designs looks similar.

and I was thinking to go to a glass co. and have glass placed over the top of a wood table/desk.
I did that to my at work desks years ago and it was not that expensive and since those are mostly press board with some wood it has extended their lives I am sure.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2021, 05:08 AM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

I noticed the interesting pieces in the room like the dresser and the vintage suitcases Yay for a light and a window!

I have a suggestion. I would assemble some newspaper or whatever into the size of the footprint of these tables if they are different (sound wider for starters) and lay it on the floor to make SURE you are ok with it. You dont want to end up with too narrow a walk path. Esp with a pup moving around. Could cause traffic jams.

That one is nice too, has more flexibility on the sides...what I don't understand is why when the shelving is 12 deep the shelf itself is 10 3/4. (can you tell I am all about storage? LOL) It is almost a foot longer. The good thing about shelving vs cubes is you can pop your little suitcases in them maybe.

Fast math does say you could do the EKET IKEA 13 3/4 cube 9 to a side for the same dims as these two desks. Width your choice with a Formica top and I think you can get that now in wood looks. But I am sure you already know that.

But you fell in love with this one....have you looked at it lately in person just to make sure? (pottery barn). I find with these stores-the first generation of a design can look nicer than following ones. (and be built better). Just sayin'.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2021, 03:57 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

I happened to get really lucky today at work. The (retired) cabinet maker who made the cupboards in my office at work came by to pick up some parts we had repaired for him.
and we got to talking ( I know his family) and I asked him, if you had to have a cabinet maker make something in town who would you call. and low and behold he mentioned the guy who ( a cabinet maker who had a side contract a few years ago with a local home improvement store that worked to install custom cabinets that were made farther north in the state. but, when I asked for a card when he was done he had mentioned the no compete was in effect for a year or two ( cannot remember, and then I forgot his name) (this was 4 years ago now) and George gave me his name ( and his cabinet shops name ) so, I think what I am going to do is print out the ideas I have and then talk to that guy again. I am not so sure I want a square table but, I do like the 6' length of this table I have now. (and I really would rather have drawers over shelves or cubby holes so) I have my fingers crossed and stars in my eyes again over this idea.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2021, 09:11 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I do have that bedford table. I've had it for about 8 years now and haven't regretted that purchase. It looks (and is) very sturdy, like a piece of 'real furniture' lol. I second the idea of some kind of protective surface if you'll be cutting... husband person was cutting foam core and didn't realize he was off his cutting mat, put a long slice in the top. But really, it was never completely empty (I stored a couple containers of tools on top) so although it bothered me, it didn't make me crazy.
I have since moved my craftroom out of the room where it lives, so the husband person has pretty much taken it over. When it was my work surface, it was great as far as room to spread out -- always room for anything I wanted to do. You can stand comfortably or sit, if you find the right height stools no problem. We used to have it in the center of the room with one stool on each side; two people had more than enough room to work at the same time. Currently, there's no need to access all four sides of the desk, so it has one side pushed up against the wall now and it still super useful that way.
The cubbies are nice but I did put bins/baskets in them to contain all the small items. I stored my 8.5x11 cardstock in the cubbies, it just fits vertically, or you could store it on its side since the cubbies are big enough that way too. If you're getting your own version made, larger cubbies like 13x13 would be super helpful if you use 12x12 paper.
I love the look of this table. It is BIG -- tall and large footprint -- so yes, definitely put down some tape lines on your floor to make sure you have clearance on all the sides you need it.
Good luck, hope this is helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2021, 03:01 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Margot, I have never seen that table in person... I did a search for craft tables years and years ago and it just stuck in my mind. ( and as far as I know they don't actually have one in the store) The closest store to me is a 3 1/2 hour drive north so, when I was searching for rugs for my living room ( I never did buy one to go on the hardwoods) PB had one I liked the look of online but, did not have it in the store so, I never made the drive to see one.

Renee, thanks! I am totally glad to read that you loved yours.

My window went in on Saturday am. ( there are still two more windows on the south side downstairs in the garage to switch out when the corner is turned on the siding/insulation (exterior) work being done and hubs is not doing the inside trims and sills until all the out side is done so, it will be a couple of weeks before its really "finished" but, I have drug the furniture back over to that wall so I can walk around up here again. and I had put a sofa table over around the corner with the thought of putting say an gemini jr and foiling machine and such ( things that need plug ins) over on it as a work station and I am still cleaning but, soon. I want to see if I can live with this like this for a bit. ( if it will work) because, the sofa table is NOT counter height so, if I do call that guy. I would need to know up front if maybe I really could use a counter on that wall where I drug that table to first.

I ramble a lot don't I? ( Sorry, Not Sorry ) ( no one in my real life "gets this" to the point that you guys do...)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2021, 01:13 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Raise table legs

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
Margot, I have never seen that table in person... I did a search for craft tables years and years ago and it just stuck in my mind. ( and as far as I know they don't actually have one in the store) The closest store to me is a 3 1/2 hour drive north so, when I was searching for rugs for my living room ( I never did buy one to go on the hardwoods) PB had one I liked the look of online but, did not have it in the store so, I never made the drive to see one.

Renee, thanks! I am totally glad to read that you loved yours.

My window went in on Saturday am. ( there are still two more windows on the south side downstairs in the garage to switch out when the corner is turned on the siding/insulation (exterior) work being done and hubs is not doing the inside trims and sills until all the out side is done so, it will be a couple of weeks before its really "finished" but, I have drug the furniture back over to that wall so I can walk around up here again. and I had put a sofa table over around the corner with the thought of putting say an gemini jr and foiling machine and such ( things that need plug ins) over on it as a work station and I am still cleaning but, soon. I want to see if I can live with this like this for a bit. ( if it will work) because, the sofa table is NOT counter height so, if I do call that guy. I would need to know up front if maybe I really could use a counter on that wall where I drug that table to first.

I ramble a lot don't I? ( Sorry, Not Sorry ) ( no one in my real life "gets this" to the point that you guys do...)
If you want standing table you can add longer legs to you sofa table. Also FYI for plastic or folding tables you can put the legs in pvc pipes cut to right height to raise. I know this because I used this when doing weekend jewelry shows. Then covered tables with floor length covers. The pipes come on and off easily legs just sit in them
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2021, 09:27 AM   #22  
Proud Fan Club Member

Ramble away. I am the same way

BTW it seems to me that there *may* be ways to use that slanted ceiling for storage IF you have head clearance....like cups for markers could be on a slant. Or a dowel for ribbon rolls.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2021, 05:39 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

I am 5'9" tall at the top of the wall where the closet doors are at the bottom of the slant is 6' tall :mrgreen: ( So, I have "duck in" closets) :lol:

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes