Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-05-2018, 08:38 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 297 Likes on 115 Posts
Default AdTech works for dies

So, a little peek into Odd Brain and how easily my train of thought derails - also why I'm firmly convinced that everything is The Same Subject... The following things fed into my head and percolated:
  • The thread about Press 'n Seal
  • The thread about diecut and embellishment storage (specifically post #6 where Beth mentions flipping vs leafing)
  • The thread about converting wood mount stamps (specifically post #30 where Shazsilverwolf mentions putting stamps in coin and currency pages)
  • My frustration with AdTech tape runners, which I used to LOVE for my nekkid rubber stamps until they changed the formula
  • My frustration with my die storage - I won't even go into all the reasons why
And here's what came out of that mess:

What you are looking at is photo pages in a 1" binder. I had a stack of el cheapo index cards (4" x 6") that I thought might be perfect for my dies if I covered them with Press 'n Seal so they'd be tacky. I gave that a go, but it seemed a bit like too many steps and a tad more unwieldy than I'd hoped.

I had used a spray adhesive to adhere the Press 'n Seal, so I tried the adhesive without the Press 'n Seal, but that wasn't ideal, either. I said to myself, "Self, when you buy dies they are stuck to a card with a strip of adhesive. That adhesive is too strong - what do you have that might work?" I pulled out the AdTech that is now useless for most purposes and gave that a try. BINGO! It's strong enough to keep the dies from dropping down into a pile in the bottom of the pocket, but doesn't have enough grip to come off with the die.

Since I'm not using magnetic sheets that add extra weight, this is considerably lighter than it might be if I was. It's still a bit heavy, but not cumbersome, so it's gonna work for me just fine. I'm a leafer, not a flipper, so this makes me happy. If I add more dies to the collection I'll probably start a new binder because of the weight issue.

I do have a handful of dies that are too large for the photo pages, so I'm just tucking them into the front pocket of the binder for now. I don't know if anyone else will like this method, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone else wanted to give it a try...

Last edited by gregzgurl; 05-05-2018 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: add a link
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2018, 10:37 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post

I do have a handful of dies that are too large for the photo pages, so I'm just tucking them into the front pocket of the binder for now. I don't know if anyone else will like this method, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone else wanted to give it a try...

Is that an 8.5x11" binder? Why not grab some regular page protectors (i.e., no subdivisions), stick a sheet of white cardstock in, and put your large dies on those pages?

Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2018, 11:07 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
Is that an 8.5x11" binder? Why not grab some regular page protectors (i.e., no subdivisions), stick a sheet of white cardstock in, and put your large dies on those pages?

Just a thought.

Good call - I'll have to do just that! Thanks!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2018, 01:00 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 523 Likes on 235 Posts

Or, find some photo pages for 5x7 pictures.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2018, 02:55 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Love that system Sue. Brilliant idea. I'm finding all sorts of uses for those currency/card pages, I have all my spare die cuts in them now too. If I hadn't spent so much time & money getting all mine into Avery Elle pockets, I'd be all over that! I agree it's really annoying when you find the perfect product, and the makers change the formula. And that tape they hold dies down with?
If someone marketed that for cardmaking, they'd make a fortune!

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 05-06-2018 at 03:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2018, 04:58 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
Or, find some photo pages for 5x7 pictures.
I'm afraid that the 7" dimension would be fine, but I'd need 5 1/2"-6" the other dimension for that to work. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2018, 09:45 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello Sue,

I am a flipper and started with the ArtBox system, which doesn't flip well. I would like to switch to Jennifer McGuire's system, but don't want to use the magnetic sheets. Do you think AdTech would hold up to a flipping style?

Thanks, Robin

Last edited by robbinbobbin; 11-19-2023 at 05:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2018, 05:32 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbinbobbinView Post
Hello Sue,

I am a flipper and started with the ArtBox system, which doesn't flip well. I would like to switch to Jennifer McGuire's system, but don't want to use the magnetic sheets. Do you think AdTech would hold up to a flipping style?

Thanks, Robin
Yes, I do! I only put a dab here and there so things would stay put - or a strip for the nesting dies - and you may find that you need a bit more, but I see no reason at all that this wouldn't work. Another thing to pay attention to is how large your carrier sheets are - the larger they are, the more likely they are to "flex", potentially popping dies off. It really shouldn't be an issue, I'm just throwing it out in case it does end up making a difference...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2018, 09:01 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Thanks, Sue. I picked up some AdTech this weekend and will see how it goes.

Robin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2018, 12:29 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote:

Hello Sue,

Thanks, Robin
Robbin, I'm a flipper and use Jennifer McGuire's system, and she rarely uses magnetic sheets - just puts a piece of white cardstock inside for some stability. There's much less bulk and weight. I've also watched a couple of other well known bloggers dump dies out of a pocket. Some companies even ship their dies unattached to each other and loose - you can hear them jingle in the baggie - and they're fine.

I put at least one and sometimes more die cuts on the other side of the white cardstock, and if a weird sandwich or shim is used, a Post-It listing it. The only exceptions for me are dies like Hero Arts infinity circles or once in a blue moon if a set has tons of tiny dies.

You've probably seen a video where Jennifer shows the system clearly, but she makes so many, so just in case I'll PM you a link since I don't want to further hijack this thread.

The Container Store's Medium Pure Box is what I use since it's much lighter weight than the Interdesign bins, but it is shorter so doesn't hold as many. (6-1/8" x 9" x 1-7/8" h) Pockets are the 5x5 Simon Says Stamp ones that Jennifer uses. SSS sells CS inserts but I usually cut mine.

https://www.containerstore.com/s/col...caAujVEALw_wcB

Last edited by bjeans; 05-13-2018 at 01:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2018, 02:45 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just a quick clarification: Beth is right that the dies don't need to be separated from each other or whatever because damage can occur. I do it the way I do it because when all of the dies are in the bottom of the pocket/sleeve/baggie/whatever, they take up more space front-to-back, so spreading them out helps with that issue. Also, I forget which pieces I have if they are all in a jumble. I do what works for me, share in case it works for someone else, am grateful for all input that adds to the choices for everyone, and encourage everyone to find their happy on any/all of these projects!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2018, 03:23 PM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Agree with Sue. Chocolate, strawberry or vanilla? Neither is "righter." (Vanilla mostly.)

I use the smaller, stiffer 5x5ish SSS pockets with a CS insert so dies often aren't at the bottom - they take up a good portion of the pocket. Or if there are several they're often next to each other. And even for those that overlap, without the magnetic sheets, the collection as a whole is much more compact for a bin system.

I have a rule that what I have has to fit or something has to leave, so that makes me happy, aka more dies for me.

But lots of people like using them, and that's all that matters. I only posted because Robbin said she she didn't want magnetic sheets and that she used Jennifer's system, which doesn't include many. Even some of Jennifer's sets like small to large rectangles aren't on mag sheets, though she does have some.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2018, 07:02 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Sue, Beth & Everybody,

Thanks for your posts. I hope with the AdTech, I will basically be able to have them on CS similar to how the manufacturer packages them. Being able to look at them is important for my visualization process.

Thanks, Robin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2018, 07:15 PM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Sue, Beth & Everybody,

Thanks for your posts. I hope with the AdTech, I will basically be able to have them on CS similar to how the manufacturer packages them. Being able to look at them is important for my visualization process.

Thanks, Robin

Okay - and yet another option is to die cut each one and adhere to the CS insert for actual representation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2018, 05:48 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Okay - and yet another option is to die cut each one and adhere to the CS insert for actual representation.
Back to the space issue again... I knew that I would get cranky having to cut all of those dies and use up valuable space (and cardstock), so when this was suggested before on THIS THREAD, it inspired me to come up with my own solution (see post #22)...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2018, 07:04 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Back to the space issue again... I knew that I would get cranky having to cut all of those dies and use up valuable space (and cardstock), so when this was suggested before on THIS THREAD, it inspired me to come up with my own solution (see post #22)...
We're probably talking apples and onions, or albums and bins, since I'm confused about the space issue. Or cost.

If the choice was magnetic sheets versus a CS stability piece with *thin* die cuts adhered to it in a pocket, CS with adhered die cuts would be thinner (and lighter) than mag sheets. And cheaper.

But I'm a flippin' binner, and couldn't deal with albums for many reasons. I need simple and compact or my brain fries. So dies by theme are in two lightweight bins side by side in a quarter of an Expedit cube next to the desk where I die cut. (IKEA *used to* sell inserts for Expedit cubes that divided them into quarters. :() Easy, thank you J. McGuire.

Your system is entirely different - so I was thinking about an occasional other person out there who might find it helpful to see die cuts lined up. You've talked about how you've changed your organizing systems many times, so it's 100% understandable how die cutting everything would be beyond awful to contemplate - and not needed anyway. (It's not for me either.)

I stick at least one die cut into pockets, to pull out if needed to check size or design on a card. Since I've always done it there are only a handful of missing die cuts, and easy to play catsup.

I apologize for hijacking your helpful AdTech thread. The Jennifer McGuire and magnetic sheets switch got turned on. :oops: I'm out.

Last edited by bjeans; 05-14-2018 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: holy typos, batman.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2018, 02:35 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

It is apparently my secondary job to create as much confusion as possible, so no worries! I fully intend to pack my gear and hit the road within the next couple of years, so I am completely committed to finding ways to make as much as possible fit into as small a space as possible ("...no craft item left behind..."). Plus, I like to morph four or five ideas into one solution for myself. And, in case you missed it, pretty much every thread on this site starts one place and wanders all over - sometimes returning to the intended topic, but sometimes not. No worries there, either...

My PRIMARY job, which I take VERY seriously, is to test out every possible solution and spend hours and hours and $$ and $$ to find what will work best for me. You would probably be absolutely appalled at the number of perfectly good magnet sheets, laminated sheets, page protectors, boxes and bins I have stashed in various areas of my home and garage, and at the reams of cardstock used "practicing".

Two things come to mind (both sent to me by my daughters, and originally from Pinterest, no doubt):

"I never make the same mistake twice. I make it, like, five or six times - you know, just to be sure."

"Well, That Didn't Work At All: An Autobiography"

Just consider me The Craft Test Dummy...

Last edited by gregzgurl; 05-14-2018 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: left out a couple of words on a previous edit - doh!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2018, 06:27 AM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

"I never make the same mistake twice. I make it, like, five or six times - you know, just to be sure."

"Well, That Didn't Work At All: An Autobiography"
I had to have written that when I wasn't looking. As for the first quote? Such good practice!

Your try, try again approach denotes a never-say-die explorer attitude. This is A Good Thing. What too often happens to me is I'll try, and if it doesn't work, stop, befuddled, and that's often the end except for a hovering bother.

Lately I've been looking askance at one of my Raskogs. It's theoretically loaded with most often used items. But except for a few adhesives and a ream of Neenah, nothing is often used. Paralysis. It was the plan! {buries head in sand colored CS}

I've 85% purged, donated, given away and organized. But that last 15% - which lately *feels* like 110% because that's what unorganized feels like - is the kicker. Especially if having to re-do.

And thank you for your kind meandering comment.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2018, 06:54 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hey, we're all in this together...the good, the bad and the absolutely hideous, lol!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2018, 09:46 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post

This is my current project, I'm cutting most of my dies out so I can see them, instead of trying to guess. It's really helpful so far.

Thanks for nudge!
Reply With Quote Likes