Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-30-2011, 10:59 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2012 Get Organized (Scraprack)

I am getting ready for the 2012 Get Organized Webinar that starts January 17.
ScrapRack Get Organized Challenge 2012

I thought I'd send out one last invite to my SplitCoast friends to see if anyone else wants to join me.

Already, I've "met" a few SCS ladies on the Webinar's Facebook page (2011 Get Organized Challenge Group). And I've met a few more who were not SCS members but have recently decided to join.

It is hosted by Tiffany Spaulding, owner of The Scraprack. TheScrapRack Organization for the Scrapbooker
While I don't see myself ever being able to afford a Scraprack, and I'm not even sure that such storage would work for me, I've been impressed by her organization methods.

I hope you join us! And maybe even do a little Show & Tell about how you've used or tweaked the methods to fit your organization needs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2011, 03:01 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

My 12x12, 8.5x11, and scraps are all neatly sorted.
I'm working on embellishments. Buttons, brads and ribbon are done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be participating (again)! Hope to see you over there. Probably won't get to watch live webinars, but will watch after I get home... See you over there!

Laura (txscrapbooks)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Laura, I probably won't do the live Webinars either. I am temporarily unemployed, so I have time, but most likely will forget to watch until after the live portion is over.

I'm in a real hurry for it to start. Although I don't know why. I'm a SLOW organizer!

I finished my paper and most of my embellishments. Ribbon and punches are going to have to wait until I can afford to buy more Ribbon Ring plastic and Ikea Bygel racks for the punches.

Since I've only seen that 5-week series, not the 8-week version that starts on Jan. 17, I'm really excited to see what she has to say about photos and memorabilia.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I won't joining in, but I had thought about it. I just don't have the time right now. I watched some of the last webinar and some of what she was saying really made a lot of sense to me. I've taken a couple of the ideas and started applying them to my whole house, lol.

The thing that really struck with me was when she said there is no catagory under M to be call Miscellanious. I have so many things filed under Misc, lol, that need to find a real place in my home.

Good luck with the Webinar Melissa. Looks like your already off to a good start.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisstreezView Post
The thing that really struck with me was when she said there is no catagory under M to be call Miscellanious. I have so many things filed under Misc, lol, that need to find a real place in my home.
I have BOXES of Miscellaneous stuff in my home. Misc. office stuff. Misc. computer stuff. Misc. papers to be sorted. (yes, these are the names that are written on the boxes!) After I take care of my craft room, I need to work on the rest of my house.

Two things that hit home are something my mom has always said and something my son recently told me about how he keeps his bedroom organized. (My mom and son are neat freaks. I'm the slob.)
Mom: "A place for everything and everything in its place."
Son: "I keep everything together that I use together."
Me: "Out of sight, out of mind. If I want to remember to work on it, I better leave it out." In other words, I'm a real clutter bug! <sad face>
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I joined up. Thanks for sharing! Gotta start working on the homework now. I may be behind by one week but hopefully I'll catch up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

No, you are not behind. The first webinar was yesterday. If you missed it (like I did) you can find the videos here: 2012 Resolve to Get Organized Challenge with Tiffany Spaulding and The ScrapRack
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 06:56 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

This past weekend, I took all of my 'to sort' boxes from the back of the basement and sorted them! Then on Tuesday, my dh and I worked from 7:30 to 4 organizing the back (storage) part of the basement from can't walk into to wow look at that space! Also found a few more boxes to sort and will incorporate them in.

just finished listening to the webinar and can't wait to work on the first assignment.

Thanks so much for starting this thread or I wouldn't have known about this.

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I also want to thank Melissa as I am another one taking the challenge - never would have known about it except that I read about it here. Seems a lot more scrapbook oriented than stamping - but a lot of what she is saying will be pertinent.

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks, ladies. I hope you benefit from it as much as I believe I will.

If you are on Facebook and get a chance to visit the associated 2011 Get organized challenge group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2011GetOrgChallenge/ be sure to give me a wave so I know who you are.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi Melissa! I signed up for this as well. I am not able to join the live webinars but it's good to know that I'm not doing this "alone". Where in SoCal are you? I'm in North Hollywood.

Tina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by ikebanaView Post
Hi Melissa! I signed up for this as well. I am not able to join the live webinars but it's good to know that I'm not doing this "alone". Where in SoCal are you? I'm in North Hollywood.
Tina, I didn't make it to the live Webinar this time either. I just listened to the videos for this week. I like that I can just listen when I want, a couple times if necessary.

I'm in Riverside County--the area of California with the highest unemployment rate. ack! Being unemployed gives me time to get organized. Mostly, getting organized gives me something positive to do rather than just mope around the house wishing I had money. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2012, 02:42 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

How is everybody doing? I've collected so many things from around the house and am amazed at how much stuff and where it is!

AND...I'm getting a ScrapRack for my birthday! WhooHoo!

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by redapronView Post
How is everybody doing? I've collected so many things from around the house and am amazed at how much stuff and where it is!
AND...I'm getting a ScrapRack for my birthday! WhooHoo!
My paper is organized, but I still need to label my paper holders.

My embellishments are finally organized. I don't yet have enough Ribbon Ring tags, but my ribbon is at least sorted into bags by color. I never thought I'd get done with the embellishments. I've worked on it off and on for a couple weeks. Just as I thought I was almost done, I'd find another bag of this or bag of that. I must have had seven sandwich bags half full of odds and ends (rhinestones, brads, flowers, a length of ribbon, a charm, etc.)

I won't be done with all 8 challenges by the end of the 8 weeks. But I'll have made some decent progress (thanks to starting early on this series). I'm really excited to see what she has to say about photos and memorabilia, both which were omitted during the short 5-week webinar that I watched late December.

Oh, and congrats on your upcoming Scraprack purchase. I have a friend who has one--and the travel tote--and she loves it! I don't have enough room to set one up or the money to buy one, so I'm making do with what I have. It's not so condensed or available at my finger tips, but at least I know where to find things now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
My paper is organized, but I still need to label my paper holders.

My embellishments are finally organized. I don't yet have enough Ribbon Ring tags, but my ribbon is at least sorted into bags by color. I never thought I'd get done with the embellishments. I've worked on it off and on for a couple weeks. Just as I thought I was almost done, I'd find another bag of this or bag of that. I must have had seven sandwich bags half full of odds and ends (rhinestones, brads, flowers, a length of ribbon, a charm, etc.)

I won't be done with all 8 challenges by the end of the 8 weeks. But I'll have made some decent progress (thanks to starting early on this series). I'm really excited to see what she has to say about photos and memorabilia, both which were omitted during the short 5-week webinar that I watched late December.

Oh, and congrats on your upcoming Scraprack purchase. I have a friend who has one--and the travel tote--and she loves it! I don't have enough room to set one up or the money to buy one, so I'm making do with what I have. It's not so condensed or available at my finger tips, but at least I know where to find things now.
I'm about half done with my cardstock and papers. Its a huge mess in my craft room right now, but even hubby said it will get better when he came in. I did set aside my OO space and that's the hutch. It's about half done and the OO half is going to stay OO! The rest of the stuff is sort of put together in piles so that's good.

I know I won't be done in 8 weeks but will be well on my way. The photos scare me! Too many! Also not sure I could do what Tiffany suggests with stamps. I've been a demo for almost 10 years and a stamper for many before that!

Congrats on knowing where to find things! I'm working toward that.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Melissa --did you sort your embellishments by color?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2012, 05:02 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

what is OO space?? sorry I have to keep asking questions -- I am not sure what you all are doing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 01:57 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by red hat maryView Post
what is OO space?? sorry I have to keep asking questions -- I am not sure what you all are doing.

Only Organized. You clear out a space nearby to where you work and ONLY ORGANIZED items are allowed to go there. As you move along in the process, the OO space grows larger until it's all done and wonderfully organized!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 04:30 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

Thank you so much for sharing the link to the videos that I have already missed. I really need to organize. When we move this summer I will re-organize my things when I find out what kind of space we will be in. Love the military. But now that the kids are gone I can get a room all to myself for crafts and a guest bed too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 05:24 AM   #21  
Crimping Master

I just watched the webinar. One of my goals this year has been to use those things that I have purchased and had to have, but have not used yet. I am hosting two swaps so far toward that goal (links in my signature). One is about using those stamp sets you haven't "inked" up yet. The second one focuses on using all those accessories, paper, embellishments, and other things for special techniques. It has been great trying to figure out what I will make for these card swaps. After watching this and going through my things for the swaps, I have an idea of things I will probably purge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 06:46 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

thank you redapron. I looked at the paper organization video. Thanks everyone for the information.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by red hat maryView Post
Melissa --did you sort your embellishments by color?
Yes. Sorting my embellishments by color is new to me, but I think I'm going to like it a lot. I used to keep my brads together, my eyelets together, my buttons together, etc. Now, my red brads, red eyelets, red buttons, red rhinestones, etc are all in one spot. My yellow brads, yellow eyelets, yellow buttons, etc. are in another.

Tiffany Spaulding's method is supposed to use her Scraprack products. But I have my embellishments (except my ribbon) sorted into slide-out containers in mini tackle boxes like this one: 1354 Plano� 4-BY� Rack System

Now, when I'm looking for a little something to add to a card or a page, I can think of what color might look good and then go to that section and see what I have that might work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
Yes. Sorting my embellishments by color is new to me, but I think I'm going to like it a lot. I used to keep my brads together, my eyelets together, my buttons together, etc. Now, my red brads, red eyelets, red buttons, red rhinestones, etc are all in one spot. My yellow brads, yellow eyelets, yellow buttons, etc. are in another.

Tiffany Spaulding's method is supposed to use her Scraprack products. But I have my embellishments (except my ribbon) sorted into slide-out containers in mini tackle boxes like this one: 1354 Plano� 4-BY� Rack System

Now, when I'm looking for a little something to add to a card or a page, I can think of what color might look good and then go to that section and see what I have that might work.
Thanks for the reply melissa. I have my embellishments in small plastic boxes and randomly stored with what ever fits where. It doesn't sound good but I have this chaos memorized and can find things - works for me!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

I got through the paper sorting without any problem. I even got all my embellishments sorted and most of my ribbon on Ribbon Ring tags (the rest will get done next week).
But my organizing came to a screeching halt when it came to the inks, markers & chalks sorting.

It's not because I don't have a ton of inks. I don't. It's because I don't like my ink storage. I'm currently keeping everything in a photo box, one that's just about full.

No money to buy a Napa Valley style cassette holder. No desire to go with a Stampin' Up or Close to my Heart ink storage unit. So, I'm getting ready to try my hand at making a foam board ink pad shelf. I'm following instructions that SCS member afdish put together. She is brilliant! Her instructions are packed with information and includes algebraic equations that even I can understand!

Anyway, wish me luck. I'll post a photo when I get it done. I don't expect my first try to look pretty, but that's OK as long as it is functional.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Here is a photo of my ink pad holder. I made it using instructions created by SCS member, afdish. I should tell you that afdish' instructions were PERFECT, WONDERFULLY DETAILED, and EASY TO FOLLOW!

That said, I did make a few mistakes:
  • I used pen instead of pencil for the markings.
  • I didn't use a ruler while cutting the foam board so my cuts are not perfectly straight.
  • I made my version little too shallow (depth) for it's height.
  • I put openings for drawers on the bottom for refills. I don't have refills yet, so that makes it even more top heavy.

As you can tell, I don't have many ink pads, but I wanted room to grow. I'll keep using this one for now, but I plan to eventually make another. BTW ... I bought my foam board at Dollar Tree, used 3 sheets for a total cost of $3. What a bargain! And it was fun to build!!
Attached Thumbnails
2012 Get Organized (Scraprack)-ink-storage-first-try.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Very professional looking ink storage Melissa! Lots of space to add more pads, and room for reinkers. Can't beat the price of those supplies either!
I've been watching the Webinars, but really haven't been able to put the plan into action yet. I just know that my craft room is total chaos, and I need to get it organized in a way that it will be easier to keep organized. I literally have to move half my stuff out of the room, so I can move a shelving unit in to use as my 'organized only' space. I know I should be sorting and purging, but the p-word causes my chest to tighten up. Guess that's an "issue" I need to work through. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainkittyView Post
I've been watching the Webinars, but really haven't been able to put the plan into action yet. I just know that my craft room is total chaos, and I need to get it organized in a way that it will be easier to keep organized. I literally have to move half my stuff out of the room, so I can move a shelving unit in to use as my 'organized only' space. I know I should be sorting and purging, but the p-word causes my chest to tighten up. Guess that's an "issue" I need to work through. LOL
Val, In my mind, purging is getting rid of stuff you won't use. If you have a lot of stuff that you will use, I see no reason to get rid of it. If you have excess, you might need to think of a creative way to store it. Maybe you'll box it up and put it in another room, sort of like a store that has full shelves and backstock in the storeroom.

As for the sorting ... follow the webinar, refer to the printout and do what you can, when you can. The next time the webinars are offered (hopefully still for free), you'll have some of it done and will probably have a better idea of what to do with the stuff you didn't get organized.

I wish I had a ton of wall space, loads of money to buy matchy-matchy bins and costly wall units that run floor to ceiling. But I don't. I'll just have to work with what I have and hope for the best. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the encouragement Melissa. It's pretty overwhelming. I took over my daughter's bedroom as my sewing/craft room, after she moved out, . I work for a mail order sewing company, so I am always bringing home fabric "scraps" from work. I am working on a limited crafting budget, so I love these freebies. My room is furnished with a mishmash of furniture, mostly free, thrift, or repurposed. My shelving unit that I plan to move in is a 48x54 inch former wall cupboard from my kitchen that I stripped and varnished after we redid our kitchen years ago. I've always used it as crafting storage, but it has also become a dumping ground over the years. That will actually be easier to sort and purge than my papercrafting stuff. Lots of "why am I keeping this?" on those shelves. I'm kind of excited to bring it in, and organize with it in my room. I plan to 'rediscover' what I already have have for storage, rather than spending more money. Doing this on the cheap is also part of the challenge for me.
Reply With Quote Likes