Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-01-2012, 01:02 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Anyone in the DC area?

I'm moving to DC area in March. Would love to find a group to craft with. Interested mainly in card making.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 07:15 AM   #2  
Swapper of the Month March 2012

Hi -
I live in the Eastern Panhandle of WV, about an hour and a half from downtown DC. We have a group here that has met a couple of times in a year, but are far stretched out across PA, VA, WV, MD and DC, even into Northern NC, so sometimes harder to meet up. Send me a note when you get here though and we'll see if we can synch up.
In MD, northeast of DC, there is a great little shop called The Queens Ink (The Queen's Ink) that you might want to check out, and then another SE of DC called Angela's Happy Stamper. Maybe we can get another group meeting set up after you settle in.

Blessings -
Susan Farrell-Jones
aka StampinGodoDeeds
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 07:51 AM   #3  
Glitter Queen

Thank you for your response. I am currently living in Italy and am teaching card classes to military spouses. I am looking forward to DC and all it has to offer. I will contact you when we are positive of our arrival date. Thank you also for the two shops. I look forward to visiting them.

Ciao,
Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Check in any of the get together forums that start w/MD. We are a group who get together often. It is centered around Ft Meade, Odenton, MD. (Not far from the Queens Ink mentioned above.) I live in Columbia, some stampers in Laurel, Pasadena, Glen Burnie, Greenbelt and further environs. There is an Offray ribbon outlet in Hagarstown, MD!!!! Some stampers make day trips to the Amish country in PA for their stamp stores, not to mention food!
Hope you enjoy the area.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #5  
Glitter Queen

Thank you for your response. I am looking forward to coming to DC. The ribbon factory sounds like my kind of store. I use a lot of their ribbons. Perhaps we will meet when I get to DC. I don' t have a good perspective as to locations of many of the areas you mentioned. I am a quick learner and look forward to exploring the areas.
Ciao,
Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #6  

Cathy -- Are you at Aviano? I went to Jr. High/High School there MANY moons ago. haha Yes, there are many groups that meet in MD area I have seen on the list too, just all depends on what part of the DC area you end up living in. I live just 10 min south of the Hagerstown Offray Outlet that Rose mentioned too. We look forward to meeting you when you get to the area! Ciao
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #7  
Glitter Queen

I live in Pisa area, with Camp Darby. I have been to Aviano . It truly is a beautiful area. We're waiting on official orders and hopefully will be there by mid March... I will keep you posted!
Ciao,
Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

We are moving back to DC area this summer. I have participated with MD groups and have hosted in NC also (we have our retirement house in NC). Live in Boston right now though. Have you lived in DC area before? Have kids? Where is your hubby working? We don't have to worry about schools this time, but did last time we lived there. I highly suggest you live as close to your spouses work as possible. Our kids went to Arlington schools and they were great compared to all the other places they attended. Our youngest even graduated a year early at 16 and started college when we moved to Boston that fall. I love to meet mil spouses. I mentor and network mil spouse financial counselors for my career (1050 of them right now). I also do mediation, relationship, and financial counseling with clients.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #9  

I work in Harpers Ferry, WV, for the federal government, but my boss and main office is downtown DC (fortunately I don't have to go there much though, rarely really). I live about 1.5 hrs away from DC, given no traffic, but there are many people I know who commute from here to DC every day, either by train or by car or the Metro. Taxes are so much less in WV, but the schools are not great if you have kids -- VA and MD are definitely better schools.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I'm in the DC area (specifically NoVA)...let me know when you get here! My best friend left a few years ago leaving me paper craft lonely!

http://vbontherun.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #11  
Glitter Queen

Wow! AndI you are one busy woman. To answer a few of you questions:
No we have not lived in DC before, our children are grown and very independent, my hubby will be in the Corps headquarters not far frm the White House. We would like to be close in but someplace affordable as well as safe. I want to be able to walk as much as possible to shops and restaurants. Is that doable? We don't know the area very well but we will explore there before deciding to settle in. Any suggestions?....
Ciao,
Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #12  
Glitter Queen

Vanessa,
I will contact you when we get stateside. I am leaving two very good friends here in Italy. They are my stamping cohorts. I under stand your loss. I look forward to stamping with you.
Ciao,
Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2012, 03:56 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

Cathy, our kids are all adults now and 4 of the 5 are in college now. I know the area I want to live in. It is near the Pentagon City Mall, so my hubby can walk to work (less than a mile) and we can get on the subway really easy to go anywhere. Last time we lived three miles away and I love that neighborhood (Country Club was the neighborhood). We are huge Arlington fans. I usually try to live 25% under BAH, but we will see if I can do that this time. Have thought about the condos and apartments there, but will probably try to get a single family home for the dogs to have a yard. Feel free to email or call me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2012, 04:31 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by helplessstamperView Post
Wow! AndI you are one busy woman. To answer a few of you questions:
No we have not lived in DC before, our children are grown and very independent, my hubby will be in the Corps headquarters not far frm the White House. We would like to be close in but someplace affordable as well as safe. I want to be able to walk as much as possible to shops and restaurants. Is that doable? We don't know the area very well but we will explore there before deciding to settle in. Any suggestions?....
Ciao,
Cathy
define 'affordable" as in how much over BAH are you willing to go to get proximity to the command? if you want walking , you need to live near a Metro stop. while not at amazing as Tokyo's Subway system, the DC metro is decent.

most of DC is NOT affordable.. or if it is it is not safe. you won't catch me in Anacostia after the sun goes down that's for sure, for instance.

most of the outlying areas are not pedestrian friendly. everything is at least 20 minutes away by car.. on the major roads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2012, 05:55 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

Living inside the beltway makes a huge difference. Our last place was about 400 under BAH and I am looking for 600-800 under right now which is possible with the new BAH increase for the area for a rental in a nice neighborhood in Arlington. Took 5 minutes to get to my husbands work by car, 10 minutes to Pentagon (5 miles) and 10 minutes to get to the White House (5 miles).

I have so many friends that wanted to have a bigger house and all regret it now because their spouse travels at least 15 hours for work each week because of traffic outside the beltway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by helplessstamperView Post
I'm moving to DC area in March. Would love to find a group to craft with. Interested mainly in card making.
I'm not too far north of DC. I work in DC. Check out the MD group: MD* Maryland Anyone........? VI - it's a fun group with several military spouses.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #17  
Glitter Queen

Thank you! Judging by everyone's responses, it shouldn't be too difficult to meet some fellow crafters in DC area. I am looking forward to the move and meeting everyone.

Ciao,
Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2012, 01:00 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a mile outside the beltway (inside is too pricey for us!!) and we commute into DC every day.

Good luck -- and don't forget to visit Angela's Happy Stamper - Rubber Stamping in Northern Virginia in Reston. it is worth the drive!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2012, 02:06 AM   #19  
Glitter Queen

Thank you for the info. I am relieved to see there are quiteva few options for crafters. I am already making a journal of suggestions and will be happily exploring them when we get settled. At this point we are not sure where we will live.
Ciao,
Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes